ADVERTISEMENT

Carsen Draft Update

Ok I just want to inject some craziness into this thread... What if hypothetically something happened that caused every team to pass on Carsen in the draft, such as an injury during a workout or something. Or maybe he throws a ball rack at somebody, doesn’t matter the reason. Would he be eligible to return to Purdue with the new rules that are in place?
If he goes to the combine and does not get drafted, he can return

If he goes to the combine and does not get drafted, he can return

That part of the rule changes is still waiting on action from the NBA/NBPA per this report from last month (https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/20...player-cant-return-to-college-basketball.html)...

"As the NCAA states: "This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season."

An NCAA spokesperson confirmed that a player must withdraw his name from the draft on May 29 and therefore could not wait for the result of the actual draft. The post-draft rule change is not yet effective."

Man I’d love to see him on the warriors. I don’t think he falls that far though.

Carsen at Golden State would be a great learning opportunity for him. Curry is similarly an undersized shooting guard, so here's hoping GSW wouldn't focus as much as Carsen's physical measurements and #28 would be his draft floor.

I think he is one of the most polarizing prospects this draft, largely because of his height. If drafted, he might be the second shortest current NBA player at 5'10 without shoes. Good wingspan length though

Player Carsen Edwards / Stephen Curry / Trae Young
Height(no shoes) 5'10.75 / 6'2 / 6'0.5
Height (shoes) 6'0 / 6'3.25 / 6'1.5
Weight 195 / 181 / 177
Wingspan 6'6.25 / 6'3.25 / 6'3
StandingReach 7'10.5 / 8'1 / 7'11.5

Last edited:
Reactions: Boilermaker24
I believe the more important thing is not height, but the ability to get a shot off and defend. There have been a lot of short guards in the NBA with successful careers, and a lot of tall guards who were total busts.

Reactions: chiboiler7
Carsen at Golden State would be a great learning opportunity for him. Curry is similarly an undersized shooting guard, so here's hoping GSW wouldn't focus as much as Carsen's physical measurements and #28 would be his draft floor.

I think he is one of the most polarizing prospects this draft, largely because of his height. If drafted, he might be the second shortest current NBA player at 5'10 without shoes. Good wingspan length though

Weight 195 / 181 / 177

Wow, his wingspan is legit. Surprised Steph only weighs 185.

Weight 195 / 181 / 177

Where Did you find these measurements? Per nbadraft.net via the Team USA measurements, Carsen was 6'0" without shoes, 6'1" with.

That part of the rule changes is still waiting on action from the NBA/NBPA per this report from last month (https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/20...player-cant-return-to-college-basketball.html)...

"As the NCAA states: "This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season."

An NCAA spokesperson confirmed that a player must withdraw his name from the draft on May 29 and therefore could not wait for the result of the actual draft. The post-draft rule change is not yet effective."

Amazing that the rules are not set long in advance. Like before the tournament starts. Now I wouldn't expect anyone to even want to go that route (invited to combine => not drafted => return to school), it's pretty much BS if they're told by one organization that they can and another that they can't.

For those who think Carsen is too short to play in the NBA, you need to check out Bledsoe's block from tonight's game! Blocked from behind. Fear the Deer!

Reactions: Lee3370
I believe Carsen said that he's hiring/hired an agent and will not be returning, regardless.

That said, as a Pacers fan, how do you not want him? I understand he's kind of a orpo man's Oladipo, but how cool would it be to have an IU and PU alum playing for the Pacers?

I know the Pacers don't really need him with what they already got, but I believe he's going to be Lou Williams type player... A huge spark off the bench, except CE is more tenacious/fearless, which is his greatest strength and weakness

I believe Carsen said that he's hiring/hired an agent and will not be returning, regardless.

That said, as a Pacers fan, how do you not want him? I understand he's kind of a orpo man's Oladipo, but how cool would it be to have an IU and PU alum playing for the Pacers?

I know the Pacers don't really need him with what they already got, but I believe he's going to be Lou Williams type player... A huge spark off the bench, except CE is more tenacious/fearless, which is his greatest strength and weakness
A poor mans oladipo is underselling carsen. It may turn out to be true as far as the pro's go. As far as college carsen is undeniably the better of the 2.

Reactions: Fansince72
The Athletic released their draft big board today and Carsen is now listed at 25 after his NCAA tourney performance with a nice write up on why his skillset will translate to the pro game. That’s a huge jump for him from the 40s before the tourney and if true, he has to go pro.
After watching the NBA playoff games I am becoming very optimistic about CE as his style IS the NBA game. I think he’s gonna be a star.

Even being an Indiana fan, I would love this...Carson would be instant offense off the bench as Evans/McDermott really didn't anchor that second unit. Also, Darren Collison has to be getting a little old.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

I would disagree about the Pacers not needing him. They absolutely need another explosive guy who can create off the dribble.

For those who think Carsen is too short to play in the NBA, you need to check out Bledsoe's block from tonight's game! Blocked from behind. Fear the Deer!

Bledsoe is a great comparison for Carsen. I think he is a very similar player, While Bledsoe starts for the Bucks, I really think off the bench energy guy averaging 14 pts is his best position, and Carsen's too.

But then again the bucks were the best team in the league with a 6'1 combo guard. It worked because of Giannis is the primary ball handler and Brogden is also a good ball handler keeping Bledsoe off the ball allot.

I love Giannis so I watch a decent amount of the Bucks game and Bledsoe plays with all guts just like Carsen.

Another favorite of mine is Beverly, I don't see as much similarity in their games, but the dude is all heart too and 6'1

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Bledsoe is a great comparison for Carsen. I think he is a very similar player, While Bledsoe starts for the Bucks, I really think off the bench energy guy averaging 14 pts is his best position, and Carsen's too.

But then again the bucks were the best team in the league with a 6'1 combo guard. It worked because of Giannis is the primary ball handler and Brogden is also a good ball handler keeping Bledsoe off the ball allot.

I love Giannis so I watch a decent amount of the Bucks game and Bledsoe plays with all guts just like Carsen.

Another favorite of mine is Beverly, I don't see as much similarity in their games, but the dude is all heart too and 6'1

Carsen and Bledsoe have similar builds, but Carsen is a better shooter/scorer.

I'd love to see him end up with the Bucks - playing alongside the Greek Freak would allow for more than a few open jumpers.

Carsen and Bledsoe have similar builds, but Carsen is a better shooter/scorer.

I'd love to see him end up with the Bucks - playing alongside the Greek Freak would allow for more than a few open jumpers.

Ben Simmons, Giannis, Kawai, Harden, Durant, Lebron, etc are all players who are taller, don't technically play PG, but do allot of the ball handling for their team and would match up well for Carsen. This is just a quick list off the top of my head.

Also, coaches like Pop, Rivers and Brad Stephens have been very good in the past using shorter scorers very effectively while being able to hide their weaknesses their height brings.

Probably on of the reasons Boston is often picking Carsen in the Mock Draft because Brad has shown the ability to get the most out of a player like Carsen.

On a side note, if CMP can take a player like Carsen, 90th or so ranked in his class out of college, and turn him into a 1st round pick in 3 years, I just don't understand why more players don't want to play for CMP. I will say it again, anyone ranked 50-100 should want to come here. I get the Zions of the world want exposure and thus a Duke, Kansas or Kentucky, but guys in the 50-100 range should be lining up to come to Purdue.

A poor mans oladipo is underselling carsen. It may turn out to be true as far as the pro's go. As far as college carsen is undeniably the better of the 2.

I totally agree, I meant the pros though... I think Carsen has the killer instinct and potential to be a very explosive top tier PG, but he has to prove it in the NBA first.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Ben Simmons, Giannis, Kawai, Harden, Durant, Lebron, etc are all players who are taller, don't technically play PG, but do allot of the ball handling for their team and would match up well for Carsen. This is just a quick list off the top of my head.

Also, coaches like Pop, Rivers and Brad Stephens have been very good in the past using shorter scorers very effectively while being able to hide their weaknesses their height brings.

Probably on of the reasons Boston is often picking Carsen in the Mock Draft because Brad has shown the ability to get the most out of a player like Carsen.

On a side note, if CMP can take a player like Carsen, 90th or so ranked in his class out of college, and turn him into a 1st round pick in 3 years, I just don't understand why more players don't want to play for CMP. I will say it again, anyone ranked 50-100 should want to come here. I get the Zions of the world want exposure and thus a Duke, Kansas or Kentucky, but guys in the 50-100 range should be lining up to come to Purdue.

the main reason is Painter is very particular about the type of player he recruits. Look at his targeted players and the offers he gives out. he doesn't offer every top 50 player. He actually targets very few players. he wants a certain player to play for him.

Well, work the relationship between painter and Brad, the shrew connection, etc. Boston would know as much as they'd like about carsen and would be fully informed on what's possible with him.

Very excited about the possibility of him going in the first

Well, work the relationship between painter and Brad, the shrew connection, etc. Boston would know as much as they'd like about carsen and would be fully informed on what's possible with him.

Very excited about the possibility of him going in the first

He's definitely going in the 1st. I would be surprised to see him get to 20.
Even as a bench scorer that rises to the moment in postseason he's a top 20 player. He could be more than that.

I love swanigan but he went what 23? Edwards is much more likely to be a good pro. Especially in 2019 basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT