ADVERTISEMENT

Carsen Draft Update

The Athletic released their draft big board today and Carsen is now listed at 25 after his NCAA tourney performance with a nice write up on why his skillset will translate to the pro game. That’s a huge jump for him from the 40s before the tourney and if true, he has to go pro.

Awesome good for him. Such a likable and just fun guy too. I imagine that charisma will help him in the interview portion add he goes thru the process as well

Offered a multi-million dollar position my junior year, I would have left Purdue in a flash. Go Carsen go!
his situation reminds me of another great athlete, Saquon Barkely, he can take over a game and is as fresh late in a game as he is in the beginning. I really enjoyed watching Carsen this year, guys like him don't come through our doors very often.

if he gets alot of time w/ a NBA team, I may have to lower my viewing standards and check into a pro game.

Celtic Wire has a story out discussing Celtics take Carsen with a 1st rd draft pic they have late in 1st rd. I actually think Carsen staying would hamper the development of the rest of the Purdue roster. It's time for the other player's to step up and make shots. Looking at Purdue's roster. It is all based on potential development. This coming season's team will still be young.

Celtic Wire has a story out discussing Celtics take Carsen with a 1st rd draft pic they have late in 1st rd. I actually think Carsen staying would hamper the development of the rest of the Purdue roster. It's time for the other player's to step up and make shots. Looking at Purdue's roster. It is all based on potential development. This coming season's team will still be young.
Are you serious? I didn’t see that but just started a thread about the Celtics taking him as I think that’s the best fit for him since Kyrie is going to the Knicks this off season unless something weird happens. I think the league makes sure that the Knicks get the first pick but if they happen to get the second then they get Morant instead of Zion then they won’t want Kyrie. They could take RJ with the second pick and still get KD and Kyrie to come play there but....the Knicks need that first pick and I think the league makes sure that they get it.

He made a move in the Virginia game where he was closely guarded, took one dribble behind his back and hit a step back three pointer. It was an NBA move. That being said, I'm not so sure he can get that shot off against taller, longer NBA type players as a two guard. Not to mention it wasn't from NBA distance. Just the move, step back and shot however were NBA caliber.

I don't understand why people are writing him off as a possible point guard which would solve some of the height problems. He can handle the ball well enough and with the spacing of today's NBA game it seems like the talents needed at point guard in the NBA more align with him than they did some years ago. I don't watch the NBA much but it seems like it's more about isolation and letting the player go one on one than it is about ball movement.

Disclaimer: Maybe he is projected as a point guard and I am missing that discussion

Reactions: ChuckJr
I'm sure the Bulls won't "reach" for him. Unless something magical happens and they get him with the second. BUT WAIT!!!!
https://basketballsocietyonline.com/2019-nba-mock-draft-version-1-0
I'd love this!
What we learned is there are way too many mocks out there.

My first question is did I miss Iggy declaring?

Also until draft camps are out and Carsen shows handles, it’s going to be real tough to take in first 32. But that probably wouldn’t matter anyways with the salaries being guaranteed for more than the first 32 these days.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
He made a move in the Virginia game where he was closely guarded, took one dribble behind his back and hit a step back three pointer. It was an NBA move. That being said, I'm not so sure he can get that shot off against taller, longer NBA type players as a two guard. Not to mention it wasn't from NBA distance. Just the move, step back and shot however were NBA caliber.

I don't understand why people are writing him off as a possible point guard which would solve some of the height problems. He can handle the ball well enough and with the spacing of today's NBA game it seems like the talents needed at point guard in the NBA more align with him than they did some years ago. I don't watch the NBA much but it seems like it's more about isolation and letting the player go one on one than it is about ball movement.

Disclaimer: Maybe he is projected as a point guard and I am missing that discussion

And he would get 2 extra steps in the NBA a la James Harden.

Reactions: ChuckJr and SKYDOG
What we learned is there are way too many mocks out there.

My first question is did I miss Iggy declaring?

Also until draft camps are out and Carsen shows handles, it’s going to be real tough to take in first 32. But that probably wouldn’t matter anyways with the salaries being guaranteed for more than the first 32 these days.

Yes, you are correct. However, I did find the one with the outcome I wanted. And, if you're right and he may not make the top 32, the Bulls have the 37. So. LOL.

Are you that dense? In The UVA game he was hitting NBA length 3 pointers over the ACC Defensive player of the year who is 6’7” and a lottery pick.

You’re wrong here.

Are you that dense? In The UVA game he was hitting NBA length 3 pointers over the ACC Defensive player of the year who is 6’7” and a lottery pick.

You’re wrong here.

Not sure where the anger is coming from. Just saying that one particular shot was not from NBA range.

I was pointing out it was an NBA caliber move.

Wow, no Ward or Winston on the list. I thought Coffey would have a shot.

Reactions: Roeder
Not sure where the anger is coming from. Just saying that one particular shot was not from NBA range.

I was pointing out it was an NBA caliber move.
pboiler was a bit harsh, but he was taking issue with your assertion that he couldn’t get that shot off against longer, taller NBA defenders.

San Antonio has two first round picks. With Ginobili's retirement Carsen might fit in nicely there and it would be in his home state. Although I am not a Popovich fan.

NBADraft.net: #38 (Denver Nuggets)
ESPN Best Players Available: #25
SI.com: #30
Basketball Insiders: #38
NBA Draft Room: #40
NBC Sports: #25

I think the wildly different spots you are seeing Carsen being projected at is the questions that surround his scoring vs. his TO's/height.

Whoever drafts CE will be very happy. The guy is a gamer with no fear and hits the tough shots in crunch time.
I don't get this issue with his size. At 6', he's a better athlete, shooter, etc than a lot of guys he be compared to who are in the 6'4-6'5 range.
I still like CE is very similar to an Allen Iverson type, except stronger to the hole and with the body that can take a beating.

Reactions: samcboiler
Whoever drafts CE will be very happy. The guy is a gamer with no fear and hits the tough shots in crunch time.
I don't get this issue with his size. At 6', he's a better athlete, shooter, etc than a lot of guys he be compared to who are in the 6'4-6'5 range.
I still like CE is very similar to an Allen Iverson type, except stronger to the hole and with the body that can take a beating.
To compare Carsen to AI is ridiculous. AI is a top 50 of all time type of talent. Carsen isn't that and can't be that. AI had off the chart handles and could shoot from anywhere on the floor. AI was elite at a number of different things. Carsen isn't elite at any one thing but rather very good at every time.

I noticed Carsen was bringing up the ball more in the Virginia game. Maybe to showcase to the scouts. He was also on fire in that game so that had something to do with it :). NBA needs shooters. I am surprised he is this low. He is a warrior.

To compare Carsen to AI is ridiculous. AI is a top 50 of all time type of talent. Carsen isn't that and can't be that. AI had off the chart handles and could shoot from anywhere on the floor. AI was elite at a number of different things. Carsen isn't elite at any one thing but rather very good at every time.

CE just put in the best 4 game tourney performance of ALL TIME! Carsen can and does shoot from anywhere on the floor. He can get his shot off against any defender, including much bigger players which is what Nova and VA tried to do to stop him and they couldn't. If CE isn't elite, tell me who is?

Reactions: Beeazlebub
Wow, no Ward or Winston on the list. I thought Coffey would have a shot.

I'm surprised Winston isn't on there either. His athleticism is comparable to Jalen Brunson who was a first round pick a year ago. The guy can shoot, is a leader, and has great vision. He could have a longer pro career than half the guards on that list IMO.

Tre Jones will be a BUST.

Reactions: TX4GB and DAG10
I'm surprised Winston isn't on there either. His athleticism is comparable to Jalen Brunson who was a first round pick a year ago. The guy can shoot, is a leader, and has great vision. He could have a longer pro career than half the guards on that list IMO.

Tre Jones will be a BUST.
Brunson was a 2nd round pick and he’s 6”2 cassius is 6”0 but you are spot on with the comparisons however and longevity for sure he may get his shot tho

Reactions: DAG10
many smaller players have proven they can succeed in the NBA. I believe the biggest knock on Carsen and why his draft stock is so low is that NBA teams would rather reach for potential than draft the sure thing. I just read an article on NBA draft busts. Of the top 25, only about 5 had more than 1 year of college experience. and the y were considered busts because they haven't become a star yet.

I fully expect Langford to be drafted before Carsen. But I also expect Carsen to have the better career. Langford has a lot to learn, and NBA teams spend very little time trying to develop players.

CE just put in the best 4 game tourney performance of ALL TIME! Carsen can and does shoot from anywhere on the floor. He can get his shot off against any defender, including much bigger players which is what Nova and VA tried to do to stop him and they couldn't. If CE isn't elite, tell me who is?

LOL.. I love Carsen, but he is no where near Allen Iverson.. Iverson had a crazy long wing span, Iverson was even faster than carsen, Iverson had a better handle than Carsen, Iverson was a way better athlete than Carsen is

Allen Iverson was probably the best rim attacker in the NBA in his time, Carsen does not have the same fluidity, reach, and athleticism evidenced by how easily his shot is blocked even at the college level

Carsen can have a long NBA career, likely as a scoring spark off the bench, but he will never, ever, be in Allen Iverson's company... few if any are

LOL.. I love Carsen, but he is no where near Allen Iverson.. Iverson had a crazy long wing span, Iverson was even faster than carsen, Iverson had a better handle than Carsen, Iverson was a way better athlete than Carsen is

Allen Iverson was probably the best rim attacker in the NBA in his time, Carsen does not have the same fluidity, reach, and athleticism evidenced by how easily his shot is blocked even at the college level

Carsen can have a long NBA career, likely as a scoring spark off the bench, but he will never, ever, be in Allen Iverson's company... few if any are

There's some similarities:
both 6' although AI was 165, CE is 200.
AI averaged 23 ppg over 2 yrs at Gtown, CE 23 his Jr Yr. Both were All-American.
Now, AI was drafted #1, which no one is claiming CE will or should.
I'm just saying, they have similar games, both attack and finish in the paint but can both hit from anywhere on the floor.
Before going pro, AI and GTown lost in the E8 to UMass.

There's some similarities:
both 6' although AI was 165, CE is 200.
AI averaged 23 ppg over 2 yrs at Gtown, CE 23 his Jr Yr. Both were All-American.
Now, AI was drafted #1, which no one is claiming CE will or should.
I'm just saying, they have similar games, both attack and finish in the paint but can both hit from anywhere on the floor.
Before going pro, AI and GTown lost in the E8 to UMass.

if u watch the 2, there is no comparison, and again I am a carsen fan.. they are similar type players I guess you can say, but one is the elite hall of fame version and the other is not lol

I noticed Carsen was bringing up the ball more in the Virginia game. Maybe to showcase to the scouts. He was also on fire in that game so that had something to do with it :). NBA needs shooters. I am surprised he is this low. He is a warrior.

I highly doubt Painter changed his game plan "to showcase to the scouts." It was based on the matchup and the fact that he was en fuego.

Elite are players like Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Giannis, etc. AI was a top 5 player in the league almost his entire career...do you believe Carsen has that type of ability?

I’m not trying to be rude and say Carsen isn’t an incredible player. He certainly is and I believe he will be a very good NBA player...but AI he is not.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
Elite are players like Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Giannis, etc. AI was a top 5 player in the league almost his entire career...do you believe Carsen has that type of ability?

I’m not trying to be rude and say Carsen isn’t an incredible player. He certainly is and I believe he will be a very good NBA player...but AI he is not.

You're looking at this through the lens of knowing what the players you mentioned became. Did anyone in college think James Harden would turn into the offensive force he has become? What about Westbrook? The Greek Freak may eventually be the most dominant player to every play the game, but I doubt many would have said that about him four or five years ago.

Durant was as close to a can't miss prospect coming out of college as anyone, but I don't think many would have predicted how great he is now (arguably the best player in basketball).

The term "elite" is subjective, but I don't know how the most dynamic player at Purdue since the Big Dog doesn't fit into that category. Nobody knows what type of pro career he'll end up having - good, great, or otherwise, but he certainly is an elite player at the college level from my perspective.

The Athletic released their draft big board today and Carsen is now listed at 25 after his NCAA tourney performance with a nice write up on why his skillset will translate to the pro game. That’s a huge jump for him from the 40s before the tourney and if true, he has to go pro.

I think the question would be, is this years guard class better than next years? And does he have a good fit late in the first round this year. If he is a sure fire round 1 pick, I would say go. But if next years guard pool is much less than this years, it may actually benefit him to stay a year. I think he’s gone, but there could be some reason to stay other than the records and getting Purdue a final four that it desperately wants and deserves.

Yes Carsen is a first round pick. But maybe not this year. Every Scout/GM knows how prolific of a scorer he is and how he is a game changer. But they’re scared of how well that translates to the next level with NBA length. They want to see more “true” point guard abilities. He come’s back next year, average’s 8 assists/gm while putting up 20 ppg, show these scouts that he can facilitate while also being a scorer, he’s a top 15 pick next year, easily.

Mid 2nd rd money over 3 years: $3-4 million.

Mid 1st rd money over 3 years: $9 million.

The way I see it, he come’s back for his senior season, does his thing, get’s into that top 15 range, he’s making himself an additional $5-6 million over the first 3 years. Going out now is costing him money IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT