ADVERTISEMENT

Carsen Draft Update

Yes Carsen is a first round pick. But maybe not this year. Every Scout/GM knows how prolific of a scorer he is and how he is a game changer. But they’re scared of how well that translates to the next level with NBA length. They want to see more “true” point guard abilities. He come’s back next year, average’s 8 assists/gm while putting up 20 ppg, show these scouts that he can facilitate while also being a scorer, he’s a top 15 pick next year, easily.

Mid 2nd rd money over 3 years: $3-4 million.

Mid 1st rd money over 3 years: $9 million.

The way I see it, he come’s back for his senior season, does his thing, get’s into that top 15 range, he’s making himself an additional $5-6 million over the first 3 years. Going out now is costing him money IMO
Maybe, but maybe not. 2 factors at play, for one, who passes up that 3 to 4 million? Not me, sorry. 4 million is what will make in 30 years of work. (ceteris parabis) Secondly, He can get that next contract sooner, which is potentially the money making contract of his career. Getting to that second contract is probably whats best for Carsen. Granted, staying in college has its benefits as you state if and only if he becomes that 1st round canidate, which he could actually do worse than this year. His stock is high right now. I don't see any higher 6ft0 players, so basically he is the best player for his height. Maybe he would rather shatter every scoring record Purdue has, get the fame where he could walk on and be a shooting coach wherever he wants. Chances are he will want to go back home to Texas. I remember reading he did feel a bit home sick in Indiana. I think after an NBA career Carsen will have a long career in being some sort of developmental coach/motivational. Rambling over. I still think NBA now is his best option.

Elite are players like Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Giannis, etc. AI was a top 5 player in the league almost his entire career...do you believe Carsen has that type of ability?

I’m not trying to be rude and say Carsen isn’t an incredible player. He certainly is and I believe he will be a very good NBA player...but AI he is not.

Did you think Carsen would produce the best 4 game stretch in NCAA history? Neither did I.
So, I’ll withhold judgement on how good CE will be in the NBA. I think he’s got that X factor that could make him special.

Did you think Carsen would produce the best 4 game stretch in NCAA history? Neither did I.
So, I’ll withhold judgement on how good CE will be in the NBA. I think he’s got that X factor that could make him special.
I completely agree with this. History will decide how good he'll be. I remember saying I'd decide how good this team was after the tourney. Some folks sure didn't like that. LOL. We have a couple of folks that demand you agree with them NOW, or else, you're a Troll. LOL

I completely agree with this. History will decide how good he'll be. I remember saying I'd decide how good this team was after the tourney. Some folks sure didn't like that. LOL. We have a couple of folks that demand you agree with them NOW, or else, you're a Troll. LOL
And some of us knew how good this team, and its coach, was before the Tourney even came into play:cool:

You and your trolling! How dare you have a mind of your own! Now agree with me or I will have to call you a troll using bold letters!

Reactions: boiler-deuce
Good for him. I think he’s gonna have a good career actually. His athleticism is better than s lot of guards in the NBA. He just happens to be s few inches shorter. But he has long arms, is strong as tough as hell, plus he has s great vertical. Kemba walker does fine, not saying he’s kemba, but I think he has a similar skill set but is more athletic than kemba. He’ll find his place

Reactions: Roeder
Yes Carsen is a first round pick. But maybe not this year. Every Scout/GM knows how prolific of a scorer he is and how he is a game changer. But they’re scared of how well that translates to the next level with NBA length. They want to see more “true” point guard abilities. He come’s back next year, average’s 8 assists/gm while putting up 20 ppg, show these scouts that he can facilitate while also being a scorer, he’s a top 15 pick next year, easily.

Mid 2nd rd money over 3 years: $3-4 million.

Mid 1st rd money over 3 years: $9 million.

The way I see it, he come’s back for his senior season, does his thing, get’s into that top 15 range, he’s making himself an additional $5-6 million over the first 3 years. Going out now is costing him money IMO
this is not how the NBA works!

Reactions: pboiler18
If he didn't open his mouth about his political views. I consider myself a centrist, but Popovich is way too far left of center for me.

You know who needs to get drafted by the Spurs? Romeo Langford. No kid gloves with Popovich. No babying Romeo. I think it would be good for Romeo to be drafted by a team like the Spurs.

Sports Illustrated has a new detailed mock out with Sixers taking Carsen at #24. If Carsen can go that high why not the Pacers?

Reactions: Roeder
I hope Romeo makes it to the 2nd round. Helps our recruiting. I wonder what goes through the head of Carsen when he will likely see Romeo drafted before him. I get drafting on potential but that would irritate me to no end if I were in Carsen's place.

I hope Romeo makes it to the 2nd round. Helps our recruiting. I wonder what goes through the head of Carsen when he will likely see Romeo drafted before him. I get drafting on potential but that would irritate me to no end if I were in Carsen's place.

SI has Romeo going 15th to Pistons. https://www.si.com/nba/2019/04/09/2...zion-williamson-jarrett-culver-deandre-hunter

It is about physical size and athleticism. SI discusses Romeo's lackluster season. But he is 6'6 with skills. Carsen is 6'1. If Carsen were 6'5 he would be a lottery pick.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I have a pretty small sample size to draw from, but Romeo seemed like the type of player who lacks some mental toughness. He didn't seem to like it when things got tough. Just not sure I see him as someone who embraces adversity and the challenge. I could be 100% wrong but that was just my impression of watching him this year.

I have a pretty small sample size to draw from, but Romeo seemed like the type of player who lacks some mental toughness. He didn't seem to like it when things got tough. Just not sure I see him as someone who embraces adversity and the challenge. I could be 100% wrong but that was just my impression of watching him this year.
Oh but you’re wrong. We now know he endured and fought through the year with an injured hand/wrist and only did it to be there for his teammates. :rolleyes:

Seriously though he should fit right in with lebum and the rest of the nba daily drama of overpaid under performers.

I would like to see Carsen get his degree someday so that he can become an alumnus of Purdue. I'm sure he will be successful in the NBA and will make millions but that won't
buy him alumni status like most of us are. Years from now it might seem important to him to call himself a Purdue grad and a member of the Alumni Association.

I would like to see Carsen get his degree someday so that he can become an alumnus of Purdue. I'm sure he will be successful in the NBA and will make millions but that won't
buy him alumni status like most of us are. Years from now it might seem important to him to call himself a Purdue grad and a member of the Alumni Association.
Well technically anyone with a check can join the alumni association. But I get your point. He is likely pretty close already.

Hey, I think I came up with Sunshine Boys. And that was because people would attack me for saying such "negative" things like "I don't see Jacquil Taylor ever being a starter." Which would be met with "positive" responses like "Hey idiot, he'll average 18 and 12 this year."

:cool:

Hey, I think I came up with Sunshine Boys. And that was because people would attack me for saying such "negative" things like "I don't see Jacquil Taylor ever being a starter." Which would be met with "positive" responses like "Hey idiot, he'll average 18 and 12 this year."

:cool:
This is in response to …?

Its been a long day so I might be the problem here, but I am not following this thought.

So six foot. Unless he is playing the other players barefoot. Then that 1.5 inches would make a difference. But I get it. As a man, always claim the extra inch and half. Always.

Id Guess he's a bit heavier now, but Yes I believe this confirms his true height. I Remember Dakich question whether he was 6ft. Saying he was like 5'10". Not sure where he got that from.

PER NBADRAFT.NET: Measured 6'0 without shoes, 6'1.5 with shoes, 195 lbs, with a 6'5 wingspan and 7'9.75 standing reach at the June 2017 USA U19 tryouts

Yeah, those measurements are not right. Per the NBAs 2018 combine site, Edwards is 5'10.75 without shoes and 6' with shoes. He will have a long NBA career, but he's under 6 feet tall.

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/

Yeah, those measurements are not right. Per the NBAs 2018 combine site, Edwards is 5'10.75 without shoes and 6' with shoes. He will have a long NBA career, but he's under 6 feet tall.

They just put something out for his measurements that said he was 6’00 without shoes. Boileriron was probably in the room during the measurements so he may have first hand knowledge to if he indeed grew to six foot or not. He was the shortest person last year, but with that quickness and range anywhere on the court, he should find a spot. Hope he becomes and all-star and makes a huge impact. Then I hope he recruits the heck out of Purdue.

I don't think Carsen being 6' will hinder him in the NBA. Maybe from a draft standpoint, but he's shown the ability to create and get his shot off against much bigger players who were put on him specifically to make his jumpers more difficult. Didn't always work. Plus, in the NBA, guys are much more interested in scoring than in shutting someone down. Guys will get their looks, they just need to hit them.

I don't think Carsen being 6' will hinder him in the NBA. Maybe from a draft standpoint, but he's shown the ability to create and get his shot off against much bigger players who were put on him specifically to make his jumpers more difficult. Didn't always work. Plus, in the NBA, guys are much more interested in scoring than in shutting someone down. Guys will get their looks, they just need to hit them.
Look at it this way: who plays better defense: Deandre Hunter or James Harden? Harden’s not even sure who his man is half the time.

Look at it this way: who plays better defense: Deandre Hunter or James Harden? Harden’s not even sure who his man is half the time.

I know in the playoff these guys turn up the D, but the NBA is still an offensive game and the players, coaches, refs, know it.
Scoring 130 pts with dunks and 3s sells tickets and gets on Sports Center, not holding a guy 10 pts below his average.
NBA D is very similar to 40 yr old guy church league hoops as far as D goes.

I know in the playoff these guys turn up the D, but the NBA is still an offensive game and the players, coaches, refs, know it.
Scoring 130 pts with dunks and 3s sells tickets and gets on Sports Center, not holding a guy 10 pts below his average.
NBA D is very similar to 40 yr old guy church league hoops as far as D goes.

All of this. And that's why I thought it was nuts for Edwards to even contemplate coming back...and that was before he absolutely exploded in the NCAAT. He lacks size but he has everything and THEN SOME when it comes to the actual skills that the NBA looks for in the 6'3-6'8 PGs and SGs it typically tends to draft. Do you want to go to the NBA where people can't touch you and you'll have plenty of room to create your own shot or do you want to come back to college where 2 guys have a handful of jersey or even a handful of you every time you come off of a screen?

I think he will have success in the league once he figures out what role he fits on whatever team drafts him. I think he has the ability to be a 25 point a night guy. It's all about if he gets the opportunity and gets the run its going to take to get there though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT