ADVERTISEMENT

Carsen Draft Update

Not to be lost in all of this (as I admit being an actual scout, I do tend to look at weaknesses moreso)...I do think Carsen would be a solid scoring guard off the bench. I just don't think that he is as "god-like" as everyone else kind of believes. I think he'll go somewhere in the mid-30s to mid-40s. In the right scheme he'll be a very solid role player if they disguise weaknesses well. Looking at his advanced stats, the dude is absolutely DEADLY off the catch...like really deadly.

I just don't understand the whole first round pick mantra about him given circumstances.

that being said, I never thought Cardinal would make it or last very long in the NBA. Moore also surprised me. on the other hand, I thought JJ and Hammons would do better and were in good situations.

that being said, I never thought Cardinal would make it or last very long in the NBA. Moore also surprised me. on the other hand, I thought JJ and Hammons would do better and were in good situations.
There’s always those guys...people who thought they’d be a monster and never panned out. Or even players who were a star in college just not working out in the pros. I really hope he succeeds as a Purdue fan, but with my background, I just don’t see a high ceiling.

There’s always those guys...people who thought they’d be a monster and never panned out. Or even players who were a star in college just not working out in the pros. I really hope he succeeds as a Purdue fan, but with my background, I just don’t see a high ceiling.

Do you not see Carson succeeding because he really doesn't have what it takes...…...or because he won't be given the chance? It seems like I've seen both circumstances, however, I admit to hating the NBA's guts...…..and watch as little as humanly possible.

Interested in folks input... Compare Carsen to Yogi Ferrell as far as NBA. Think Ferrell’s #3 guard for Sacramento but he is still there after a few years and thus being paid. My Black and Gold glasses won’t allow me to be objective ( that and I truly hated that little gnat when he was at IU).

The NBA is more about potential than opportunity or performance. A player can fail. But if the NBA scouts believe he has potential, he'll receive another chance. look at Biggie. He was given a second chance by the Kings. he had no chance with Portland, so the Kings were willing to take a look. Thon Maker was worthless for the bucks, but Detroit was willing to give him a look. there have been several NBA players who keep failing, but keep getting 2nd, 3rd and 4th opportunities based on their potential talent. OJ Mayo and Jabari Parker and Melo were 3 players who Kept getting chances based on their talent. on the other hand, no other team was really that interested in Ball's second son or in Hammons. Hammons had the opportunity, but wasted it. no scout believed ball had any talent.

Dakota, PJ and Haas all had opportunity.

Yogi is an interesting case. The Kings are his third team, so somebody must believe he has talent. the kings also like player of the year type players. they have Bagley, Biggie, Mason and Hield.

Do you not see Carson succeeding because he really doesn't have what it takes...…...or because he won't be given the chance? It seems like I've seen both circumstances, however, I admit to hating the NBA's guts...…..and watch as little as humanly possible.
I think he’ll succeed. I just don’t think he has starting line up potential because of his size and defensive ability. He’ll be a nice scoring guard off the bench in the right scheme.

because of his size and defensive ability
I think think you are underestimating his defensive abilities. I noticed a Lot of the time on the defensive end he was cheating on his assignments. The reason he was doing that was to conserve energy. He was playing 35 plus minutes a game. Notice how on most nights he was as strong at the end of games as he was at the beginning. When he needed to lock down he was able to.

I think think you are underestimating his defensive abilities. I noticed a Lot of the time on the defensive end he was cheating on his assignments. The reason he was doing that was to conserve energy. He was playing 35 plus minutes a game. Notice how on most nights he was as strong at the end of games as he was at the beginning. When he needed to lock down he was able to.
Respectfully, that's a cop out. If you're a legit player, you play as hard as you can on both ends of the floor.

He's slow laterally (numbers back that up), he doesn't have elite court vision, and isn't really a great rotational help side defender. He was able to garner the steals that he did because he would gamble.

Respectfully, that's a cop out
We'll just have to disagree. I think he will be fine defensively. I don't know where your getting this lateral quickness bs. Maybe you have some way of measuring that kind of thing that I'm not aware of. I do not recall anyone beating him off the dribble consistently.

I don't mean to be rude but that's exactly the reason that I want to be an NBA scout. Most of the ones that are out there don't know what the hell they are looking at.

Reactions: pboiler18
We'll just have to disagree. I think he will be fine defensively. I don't know where your getting this lateral quickness bs. Maybe you have some way of measuring that kind of thing that I'm not aware of. I do not recall anyone beating him off the dribble consistently.

2018 NBA Draft Combine athleticism testing results.

In college a 6'2 guard is much different than a 6'5 guard who is 28 years old.

I work for a basketball scouting company and I also have my own service. I look at things from a different angle than most since I do know what these D1 coaches / and sometimes NBA scouts think of kids.

Edit: I should point out that I don't *work* with NBA scouts, I am acquainted with some which allows me to ask questions from time to time. I do work directly with coaches from all levels of basketball though.

Ahh, that's why I'm so impressed. Congratulations

2018 NBA Draft Combine athleticism testing results.

In college a 6'2 guard is much different than a 6'5 guard who is 28 years old.

This isn't the NFL. I follow the NBA very closely, season ticket holder. no one ever mentions these other than actual measurements (height, wingspan, vertical). If you think Carsen is a below average NBA athlete then I can't take you seriously. And I'm about as unhomer as it gets.

Please link these combine results that show CE is “slow laterally”.

TIA.

They literally don't matter, never have I seen that be a reason for or not drafting a player in the NBA. This isn't the NFL. It's never even referenced. Eye test is what matters and even then I doubt the measure afterall Carsen was an very good football player so I'm sure if he took it seriously he would score well.

The fact he's harping on this point tells all you need to know about his supposed objectivity and seriousness.

This seems like a super reasonable take. Not sure what some are getting so worked up about.

This take is reasonable. Maybe some of his detail and "stats" and the way he's using them at times are making it sound like hes suggesting something else. He's really trying to impress people so he's going to get his balls busted

Reactions: DannyGranger
This take is reasonable. Maybe some of his detail and "stats" and the way he's using them at times are making it sound like hes suggesting something else. He's really trying to impress people so he's going to get his balls busted

Pretty much. I agree with that, but there's all kinds of wrong underneath

I still liken Carsen to Eugene Parker. Eugene did get drafted, and had a nice career, albeit it was an agent.

He'll be drafted around 20-23. Make millions and play in the the league for 12 years

Keep in mind, last year there was a lot of hype about him leaving - but after the pre-draft combine/workouts, his stock wasn't as high as many thought. His draft status isn't going to be based on 2 games in the NCAA Tournament. How he performs against other NBA caliber players will play a big role. Carsen has a lot of strong positives, but also some red flags. I think where he's taken in the draft will be based on whether or not he can overcome the question marks that came about from the pre-draft activities last year.

Exactly. In Carsen's case he really doesn't have a trait that sets him apart from any guard in the NBA...but he's slower, probably just below average finisher, and awful defender...*every* guard at the next level can get hot and make tough shots and if they can't they have qualities that mask it, think Simmons.
Yeah, not true...he is physically stronger (and more explosive) than a lot of guards, and, could not be more wrong about "every" guard being able to get hot and make tough shots...very few that did it in college with the consistency that Edwards did, and even fewer that have done it in the NBA.

His efficiency went down, but if you look at last year his usage this year didn't go up a ton compared to what a lot of people think. And he really wasn't all that efficient last year either compared to the top guards in the nation.

I don't know how he was "much improved". His numbers were down across the board, his assist to turnover ratio wasn't just "not getting a great rating" but it was awful for an undersized PG. His assist percentage stayed essentially the same from last year to this year.
Well, there is the fact that he is not a PG to consider I guess...as he was not at Purdue at least.

Again, very few that could make shots that he consistently made in the NCAA tournament, when he was the focus of some very good defensive teams.

He can put the ball in the basket...from deep...it is something that is valued a great deal right now in the NBA.

His stock is skyrocketing. If he tears it up at the combine like I think he will, who knows.

I work for a basketball scouting company and I also have my own service. I look at things from a different angle than most since I do know what these D1 coaches / and sometimes NBA scouts think of kids.

Edit: I should point out that I don't *work* with NBA scouts, I am acquainted with some which allows me to ask questions from time to time. I do work directly with coaches from all levels of basketball though.
So if I had to guess, you're associated with an AAU program...right?

Ok I just want to inject some craziness into this thread... What if hypothetically something happened that caused every team to pass on Carsen in the draft, such as an injury during a workout or something. Or maybe he throws a ball rack at somebody, doesn’t matter the reason. Would he be eligible to return to Purdue with the new rules that are in place?

I know they draft on potential blah blah blah. And analytics, measurements,, combine blah blah blah. I don’t care about all that. Boogie can ball and is fearless and will be a good pro with a long career. First round pick. Get that paper $$$ Carsen

Reactions: Fansince72
5 out of 6 draft boards has Carsen in the first round, and 3 of those have him going to Boston.

Might he sneak into the lottery if he kills it in the combine?

► Via CBS Sports — No. 20 to Boston: Edwards isn't going to develop into a multi-time All-Star, and if Kyrie Irving leaves in free agency this offseason, thrusting him into the No. 1 role may not be ideal. But he's a three-year college starter and All-American at Purdue who can really score the ball from just about anywhere on the court.

► Via USA Today — No. 22 to Boston: Again, the Celtics tend to like guys with attack-oriented mindsets. Edwards fits that bill to a ‘T,’ and also could help fill some positional holes that might be created this offseason. With Kyrie Irving and Terry Rozier entering free agency, it might be a good idea for the team to bolster its depth at the lead guard spot. While I see Edwards as more of a scoring guard than a pure point, he fits well in Boston’s offense. The team runs a lot of dribble hand-off action, where guards get to sprint toward the ball and try to gain separation from defenders that way. Edwards is one of the better players I’ve seen at shooting off of a dead sprint, as he has an elite ability to stop his momentum, rise, and fire while still maintaining his balance. His lack of vision for making plays for his teammates at 6-foot tall is ultimately what holds him back a bit and likely resigns him to being more of a high-level bench scorer. But he has a real chance to be high-level as such a player in the NBA.

► Via The Big Lead — No. 22 to Boston: With two new big men in tow, the C’s will look to the guard position and someone who can provide instant offense. Anyone who saw Edwards play knows he has unlimited range and a high motor. He’s low to the ground, stout, and could really provide high PER.

► Via NBA.com — No. 26 to Cleveland: The Combine will be huge for Edwards. He can shoot, but there's also a reason why he wasn't on anyone's radar before the NCAA Tournament. He's undersized at 6'1. He's more of a Jamal Crawford type guard than a traditional point guard. But Crawford is 6'5. It will be an uphill battle for Edwards, but he's got plenty of heart to prove us wrong. I'm betting on that.

► Via ESPN.com — No. 28 to Golden State: While Edwards was one of the many players who rose rapidly up draft boards during the NCAA Tournament, he was by no means an unknown commodity. Always known as a scorer, he was able to take his talents to another level in the postseason after averaging 34.6 points per game and a spectacular 42 point performance that almost singlehandedly took Purdue to the Final Four over eventual national champion Virginia. While there are many question marks in his game, his level of productivity putting the ball in the hoop is undeniable.

As stated earlier, his greatest strength is easily his scoring. He has the ability to shoot the ball from almost anywhere on the court, whether it be a standstill, off the dribble, or on the move. Additionally, he can also create well with the ball in his hands, both off the dribble or in pick and roll situations. While he is only six feet tall, he is a solid athlete with a good frame, which might mitigate some of his defensive liabilities.

Despite his potency scoring the ball, he struggles with the other aspects of the game. His negative assist to turnover ratio is concerning, especially when you consider how much Edwards had the ball in college. His defense also has major flaws. Not only is he small for the position, but he also was beat to spots by his man routinely in college. Whether it is due to a lack of awareness or lack of speed is yet to be determined, but both of these possibilities are not promising.

Edwards has the ability to be a great plug and play option for the Warriors, who may be losing a good portion of their already limited depth in the offseason. With Stephen Curry and Edwards, the team would have a full 48 minutes worth of scoring at the guard position. With time, the hope is that Edwards can improve his playmaking skills to the point that he can be the team’s primary ball handler off the bench. If not, he will have to carve out an impact as a small off guard who can get buckets.

► Via NBAdraft.net — No. 39 to Dallas

Reactions: DannyGranger
5 out of 6 draft boards has Carsen in the first round, and 3 of those have him going to Boston.

Might he sneak into the lottery if he kills it in the combine?

► Via CBS Sports — No. 20 to Boston: Edwards isn't going to develop into a multi-time All-Star, and if Kyrie Irving leaves in free agency this offseason, thrusting him into the No. 1 role may not be ideal. But he's a three-year college starter and All-American at Purdue who can really score the ball from just about anywhere on the court.

► Via USA Today — No. 22 to Boston: Again, the Celtics tend to like guys with attack-oriented mindsets. Edwards fits that bill to a ‘T,’ and also could help fill some positional holes that might be created this offseason. With Kyrie Irving and Terry Rozier entering free agency, it might be a good idea for the team to bolster its depth at the lead guard spot. While I see Edwards as more of a scoring guard than a pure point, he fits well in Boston’s offense. The team runs a lot of dribble hand-off action, where guards get to sprint toward the ball and try to gain separation from defenders that way. Edwards is one of the better players I’ve seen at shooting off of a dead sprint, as he has an elite ability to stop his momentum, rise, and fire while still maintaining his balance. His lack of vision for making plays for his teammates at 6-foot tall is ultimately what holds him back a bit and likely resigns him to being more of a high-level bench scorer. But he has a real chance to be high-level as such a player in the NBA.

► Via The Big Lead — No. 22 to Boston: With two new big men in tow, the C’s will look to the guard position and someone who can provide instant offense. Anyone who saw Edwards play knows he has unlimited range and a high motor. He’s low to the ground, stout, and could really provide high PER.

► Via NBA.com — No. 26 to Cleveland: The Combine will be huge for Edwards. He can shoot, but there's also a reason why he wasn't on anyone's radar before the NCAA Tournament. He's undersized at 6'1. He's more of a Jamal Crawford type guard than a traditional point guard. But Crawford is 6'5. It will be an uphill battle for Edwards, but he's got plenty of heart to prove us wrong. I'm betting on that.

► Via ESPN.com — No. 28 to Golden State: While Edwards was one of the many players who rose rapidly up draft boards during the NCAA Tournament, he was by no means an unknown commodity. Always known as a scorer, he was able to take his talents to another level in the postseason after averaging 34.6 points per game and a spectacular 42 point performance that almost singlehandedly took Purdue to the Final Four over eventual national champion Virginia. While there are many question marks in his game, his level of productivity putting the ball in the hoop is undeniable.

As stated earlier, his greatest strength is easily his scoring. He has the ability to shoot the ball from almost anywhere on the court, whether it be a standstill, off the dribble, or on the move. Additionally, he can also create well with the ball in his hands, both off the dribble or in pick and roll situations. While he is only six feet tall, he is a solid athlete with a good frame, which might mitigate some of his defensive liabilities.

Despite his potency scoring the ball, he struggles with the other aspects of the game. His negative assist to turnover ratio is concerning, especially when you consider how much Edwards had the ball in college. His defense also has major flaws. Not only is he small for the position, but he also was beat to spots by his man routinely in college. Whether it is due to a lack of awareness or lack of speed is yet to be determined, but both of these possibilities are not promising.

Edwards has the ability to be a great plug and play option for the Warriors, who may be losing a good portion of their already limited depth in the offseason. With Stephen Curry and Edwards, the team would have a full 48 minutes worth of scoring at the guard position. With time, the hope is that Edwards can improve his playmaking skills to the point that he can be the team’s primary ball handler off the bench. If not, he will have to carve out an impact as a small off guard who can get buckets.

► Via NBAdraft.net — No. 39 to Dallas
Man I’d love to see him on the warriors. I don’t think he falls that far though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT