ADVERTISEMENT

Braden is now a Bob Cousy finalist

I believe Lusk said "zone" (or answered yes to the question) on the CMP radio show a few weeks back.
I think he said that too or alluded to it if he didn't. I already broke a lot of things down. The videos are available and I think I called out the exact time for review. In one Matt only calls it out when a player is coming up from the baseline for the Purdue player to follow him to half court. How many times have you heard Paul break down the different D rules they may use during a game...or any particulars on D. They will give a general comment and go on. Ever hear him state many specifics or any of the coaches. What Matt did say is that they were trying to give an appearance of zone and get into man when the movement starts. Maryland does this. Matt went on to say a lot of teams do this. It is something I mentioned many years ago when Crean tried it. Matt of fact in my limited viewings Crean was the first I saw do it...and it wasn't very successful since some were defending an area and other were defending a man. Lot of various hybrids out there, but few pure zones due to the higher level of skill in shooting the ball and so people want a person on a person whether out of a zone look or out of man...a man typically defends another man. The old Anderson Highland coach Bob Fuller who called his match up a "man zone" and played it 100% would not allow any player younger than JV to play anything other than Man defense because he knew man was the fundamental for a zone

9780130723550-us.jpg

In between what is now the almost annual tradition of replacing their football or basketball coach, the Indinia fans are salivating over Braden and dreaming that he might transfer to Gloomington. Since their vaunted NIL program isn’t nearly as large as they’ve claimed and that their one freshman blew up the Taco Bell sponsorship that was the biggest part of it, I’m hopeful he doesn’t choose to go south. Of course, he also wants to play for a major program, so that’s another reason Indinia wouldn’t make the cut.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Purdue had a big game and Smith was an integral player in the win! That’s all that matters!

Braden Smith was filthy clutch tonight with those 2 late 3's. Putting the crowd to bed after that last one will be an all time Purdue moment for me. We are lucky to have him.

Oh, and for the 2nd game in a row he checked an All B1G player on defense and more than held his own.

He might not win the Cousy award this year, but I'd wager he does it before he graduates....

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
No one. Lew Jack was the man but did t have a consistent jumper/3pt shot like Braden and wasn’t the passer Braden is. And def not the rebounder Braden is
Yea, I was just thinking about really good PG. Lewjack was not anywhere near the offensive threat Smith is, however, he was a stopper defensively, commited far less TO's and did the perfect job asked of him. Especially when we had Hummel, Moore and JJ... can't really compare them so much in stats because they fit in differently with the makeup of the team. But Lewjack was amazing for what he was asked to do... IMO if you just look at role they did/are filling them as well as any PG I've seen at Purdue... Interesting to think of how few true PG's Purdue has had for a long time...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT