ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Player of the Year- 2 Man Race

Because they aren't really relevant. At 7-4, and never shooting outside of 5 feet, you should be shooting 60% from the field. He's not Wemby.
Do Davis ever shoot outside of 5 feet? No. I will give you though, Davis gives a good flex after a dunk, which I think is worth at least an extra .25 pts per dunk.

Reactions: boilermaker75
Look, TJD is a great player. Finishing 2nd to Zach is nothing to be ashamed of. But getting on a Purdue site and trying to convince Purdue fans that somehow your guy is worthy because his stats are similar and he's shorter, is just butt crazy.
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. And TJD will likely finish 2nd. I've said that from the beginning. But to think this race hasn't gotten closer and closer as the conference season has gone on would be pretty delusional. Still a chance for a tie. I don't think TJD can win outright at this point. Both have dominated the B1G without any doubt and in a much more graceful way than say Kofi Cockburn... Who had the footwork of a newborn deer.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. And TJD will likely finish 2nd. I've said that from the beginning. But to think this race hasn't gotten closer and closer as the conference season has gone on would be pretty delusional. Still a chance for a tie. I don't think TJD can win outright at this point. Both have dominated the B1G without any doubt and in a much more graceful way than say Kofi Cockburn... Who had the footwork of a newborn deer.
I don’t disagree with anything you just said, but you've tried to use the height difference between these guys as part of your reasoning as to why TJD is closer to Zach than most think. That reasoning is just silly and part of why you get so much grief

• Haha
Reactions: bonefish1
I don’t disagree with anything you just said, but you've tried to use the height difference between these guys as part of your reasoning as to why TJD is closer to Zach than most think. That reasoning is just silly and part of why you get so much grief
No his height(and weight) are part of his dominance. It's a game changer. It isn't normal and his size alone has to be game planned around. Northwestern chose Mortal Kombat for their strategy.

No his height(and weight) are part of his dominance. It's a game changer. It isn't normal and his size alone has to be game planned around. Northwestern chose Mortal Kombat for their strategy.
Totally agree. It's also one of the reasons he's ahead of TJD. Everyone likes unicorns

Look, TJD is a great player. Finishing 2nd to Zach is nothing to be ashamed of. But getting on a Purdue site and trying to convince Purdue fans that somehow your guy is worthy because his stats are similar and he's shorter, is just butt crazy.
And taking this mindless nonsense to 20 pages and counting….
Geez Get a life to the OP that started this thread…

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
Actually,, the public perception of the race between Edey and TJD has only changed in Edey's favor since the beginning of the year. On Jan3rd, TJD was 20-1 for the Wooden. On Feb 13th, he was essentially the same. See the linked chart. He declined and improved, but finished where he was at the beginning of the year.

Edey in comparison was 1-1.5 on Jan 3rd and 1-24.5 on Feb 13th.

So no, I don't think that the race has gotten closer and closer. Zach is further ahead than where he was on Jan 3rd. In fact, the linked article says that the race for NPOY is essentially over.

It sure sounds like you are trying to convince people. And the funny thing is they are people that you have posted here that you do not hold in high regard. That is rather baffling.

Actually,, the public perception of the race between Edey and TJD has only changed in Edey's favor since the beginning of the year. On Jan3rd, TJD was 20-1 for the Wooden. On Feb 13th, he was essentially the same. See the linked chart. He declined and improved, but finished where he was at the beginning of the year.

Edey in comparison was 1-1.5 on Jan 3rd and 1-24.5 on Feb 13th.

So no, I don't think that the race has gotten closer and closer. Zach is further ahead than where he was on Jan 3rd. In fact, the linked article says that the race for NPOY is essentially over.

It sure sounds like you are trying to convince people. And the funny thing is they are people that you have posted here that you do not hold in high regard. That is rather baffling.
The Wooden Award isn't the Big Ten award. And am I trying to convince people that TJD is going to finish 2nd in the B1G POY race?

I am well aware of what the Wooden Award is for. It is given to the player recognized as having the best season in the nation. However, I do not see your point. You seem to think that TJD is perceived as having a better conference season that Edey. But if you look at the chart, you will see that since the New Year, when league play becomes almost exclusive, the odds spread between Edey and TJD has widened, not contracted.

As I understand it, your claim is that for Conference Player to be close, the data for National Player over the exclusive conference period would have to be wildly contradicted. On what basis would this be reasonable?

I am well aware of what the Wooden Award is for. It is given to the player recognized as having the best season in the nation. However, I do not see your point. You seem to think that TJD is perceived as having a better conference season that Edey. But if you look at the chart, you will see that since the New Year, when league play becomes almost exclusive, the odds spread between Edey and TJD has widened, not contracted.

As I understand it, your claim is that for Conference Player to be close, the data for National Player over the exclusive conference period would have to be wildly contradicted. On what basis would this be reasonable?
IMSKRwong is like, 17. You're going to confuse and upset him...

Because Indiana lost games. And unless you're averaging like 27 a game like Garza, it's gonna hurt. But TJD has undoubtedly had a personal better conference season than Purdue. Indiana as a team hasn't been as good, or healthy at any point.

Because Indiana lost games. And unless you're averaging like 27 a game like Garza, it's gonna hurt. But TJD has undoubtedly had a personal better conference season than Purdue. Indiana as a team hasn't been as good, or healthy at any point.
You do realize that you are contradicting the published data, don't you? And doing so just because you think so. The spread in the probabilities has increased since the New Year, which is the exclusive conference period. That means that the public perception of Zach having a better year than TJD has increased. That what that graph shows you. TJD stayed where he started from early Jan to mid-Feb in the net. His perception did not change. Ups and downs in between but no net change.

Edey increased perception of his year. That's what the graph shows. Now, in order for your argument to work, the perception gap since the New Year would have to compress. But that is the opposite of what has occurred.

Now, you can argue that public perception of the national performance is very different than the perception of the conference performance, but since one is tracked over the conference period that would be very odd. And you present no data that supports the contradictory movement, so how do you know that it happened?

This is not that hard to understand.

You do realize that you are contradicting the published data, don't you? And doing so just because you think so. The spread in the probabilities has increased since the New Year, which is the exclusive conference period. That means that the public perception of Zach having a better year than TJD has increased. That what that graph shows you. TJD stayed where he started from early Jan to mid-Feb in the net. His perception did not change. Ups and downs in between but no net change.

Edey increased perception of his year. That's what the graph shows. Now, in order for your argument to work, the perception gap since the New Year would have to compress. But that is the opposite of what has occurred.

Now, you can argue that public perception of the national performance is very different than the perception of the conference performance, but since one is tracked over the conference period that would be very odd. And you present no data that supports the contradictory movement, so how do you know that it happened?

This is not that hard to understand.
What happened at the beginning of the year to Indiana?

What an entertaining bunch of crap. Edey is going to win the B10 POY and possibly win the national POY. The difference is Purdue winning the B10 (which it will). Now, if IU or PU make a great run in the NCAA tournament, one or the other will possibly win the NPOY.

Sadly, the B10 will probably suck in the NCAA tournament, and neither Edey or TJD will be the NPOY.

What an entertaining bunch of crap. Edey is going to win the B10 POY and possibly win the national POY. The difference is Purdue winning the B10 (which it will). Now, if IU or PU make a great run in the NCAA tournament, one or the other will possibly win the NPOY.

Sadly, the B10 will probably suck in the NCAA tournament, and neither Edey or TJD will be the NPOY.
You've been hanging out on Purdue's board too long. That kind of negativity is reserved for Boiler fans

What happened at the beginning of the year to Indiana?
Can somebody please explain to me what I am missing in my explanation to this person? I am unable to communicate in a manner that this person can understand. I have taught and/or lectured at 6 universities, at least 4 of them in the top 50 in the USA and these were in complex subjects. But I seem to be incapable of presenting this data in a way that this guy gets it. It seems straightforward to me but I am obviously missing something. If anyone can do better, please have at it. And I got good reviews for my presentations so I am puzzled in this case.

Can somebody please explain to me what I am missing in my explanation to this person? I am unable to communicate in a manner that this person can understand. I have taught and/or lectured at 6 universities, at least 4 of them in the top 50 in the USA and these were in complex subjects. But I seem to be incapable of presenting this data in a way that this guy gets it. It seems straightforward to me but I am obviously missing something. If anyone can do better, please have at it. And I got good reviews for my presentations so I am puzzled in this case.
Well if you taught, those kids were screwed.

Look, you have admitted in this thread previously that you cannot explain the logic behind your own positions. I taught graduate and undergraduate students who got high SAT and GRE scores and they did not have problems understanding what I was presenting.

I have treated you civilly and as an adult. That was a wrong assumption by me as you are acting like a child with this kind of puerile comment. The other poster had it right, you are an adolescent that is not serious.

You get data presented to you that completely contradicts your position and you either ignore it or fail to understand it. Reading that graph is something a freshman in HS should be able to do.

If you don't know what you're missing at this point, I don't know that anyone can explain it to you. You keep responding. You are essentially repeatedly banging your head against a brick wall and getting upset when you don't get a different result.

If you're getting something out of this more power to you. If you're not, you only have yourself to blame. ;)

Last edited:
If you don't know what you're missing at this point, I don't know that anyone can explain it to you. You keep responding. You are essentially repeatedly banging your head against a brick wall and getting upset when you don't get a different result.

If you're getting something out of this, I saw more power to you. If you're not, you only have yourself to blame. ;)
You are right. Regardless of what arcb posts this person will cherry pick stats, throw dust in the air, and claim victory. It's all in his mind. I'd advise: Don't waste anymore of your time arguing with a determined troll. After a while he looks idiotic for the arguments he's made, and you look a bit the same for arguing with him.

Doesn't really change POY race but still neat... TJD started the game 20 points away from passing AJ Guyton for 4th all time in career points at Indiana.

Finishing 9th in the B1G will change things, a possibility for Indinia.
Yea it will. He wasn't going to win likely anyways at this point 🤷. Wild freaking race in the middle though. Indiana will have 8 losses after Saturday. But hopefully will have a fully healthy team for the first time next week. Can still finish 12-8.

Yea it will. He wasn't going to win likely anyways at this point 🤷. Wild freaking race in the middle though. Indiana will have 8 losses after Saturday. But hopefully will have a fully healthy team for the first time next week. Can still finish 12-8.
As much as I hate to say it, I certainly wouldn't write Indiana off for Saturday. The loss last night probably makes things harder for Purdue on Saturday. As I've stated before, TJD is a fantastic player and should be a first team AA. IU being mired in the middle of the pack illustrates that statistics often fail to illustrate the full impact of a player. TJD has a better supporting cast than Zach (based on recruiting ratings, it's not even close) and comparable stats but hasn't been able to drive the same results in terms of wins and losses.

As much as I hate to say it, I certainly wouldn't write Indiana off for Saturday. The loss last night probably makes things harder for Purdue on Saturday. As I've stated before, TJD is a fantastic player and should be a first team AA. IU being mired in the middle of the pack illustrates that statistics often fail to illustrate the full impact of a player. TJD has a better supporting cast than Zach (based on recruiting ratings, it's not even close) and comparable stats but hasn't been able to drive the same results in terms of wins and losses.
It's pretty well proven at this point that Purdues supporting cast is better. Indiana's (outside of Hood-Schifino) hasn't done squat for most of the last most. It's basically been TJD willing the team forward. And he's freaking tired. Honestly, I'd rather see him sit Saturday and get some rest for next week.

It's pretty well proven at this point that Purdues supporting cast is better. Indiana's (outside of Hood-Schifino) hasn't done squat for most of the last most. It's basically been TJD willing the team forward. And he's freaking tired. Honestly, I'd rather see him sit Saturday and get some rest for next week.
I wouldn’t say that Purdue’s supporting cast is more talented than IU’s. They have certainly had a better season thus far, but one could just as easily give the credit for that to Edey vs TJD, as to the Purdue supporting cast over the IU supporting cast. Painter also deserves a lot of credit for Purdue’s success, as well as all the players for buying into his coaching.

There are a number of teams in the Big Ten with individual talent comparable to Purdue’s, but what separates Purdue is how the players play as a unit. I believe that Edey is the most impactful player in the country, but he is able to be as dominant as he is because his teammates get him the ball consistently in a position to succeed.

I wouldn’t say that Purdue’s supporting cast is more talented than IU’s. They have certainly had a better season thus far, but one could just as easily give the credit for that to Edey vs TJD, as to the Purdue supporting cast over the IU supporting cast. Painter also deserves a lot of credit for Purdue’s success, as well as all the players for buying into his coaching.

There are a number of teams in the Big Ten with individual talent comparable to Purdue’s, but what separates Purdue is how the players play as a unit. I believe that Edey is the most impactful player in the country, but he is able to be as dominant as he is because his teammates get him the ball consistently in a position to succeed.
Indiana might be better if they were healthy. But as of now, they haven't played a single B1G game with everyone. Hood-Schifino missed the first 2, Xavier Johnson only played in those first two, Thompson missed a few, Geronimo has missed some. Just one of those years. I mean, looking at how things have gone and having to reset expectations, Indiana is in a good spot. Still can finish Top 4 in the B1G and get a 4-6 seed. I'd say that's a good spot to be in.

Agree with this. I said IU has a better supporting cast, I should have said that they have a more talented supporting cast. Agree that Purdue's has performed better and that's a combination of coaching and the impact of Zach.

Agree with this. I said IU has a better supporting cast, I should have said that they have a more talented supporting cast. Agree that Purdue's has performed better and that's a combination of coaching and the impact of Zach.
On paper, the talent is there maybe. Doesn't always mean it translates to the floor. It might take a guy like Tamar Bates until his Junior it Senior year to consistently contribute. Malik Reneau has shade of Marco Killingsworth on the offensive end. Kaleb Banks might not be until his Junior year. Hood-Schifino has been every bit as advertised and will probably be gone. But injuries have forced a guy like Galloway into a spot he wasn't supposed to be in and playing point guard. Geronimo may not find his groove until his 4th or even 5th season(of he doesn't transfer). Purdues freshman guards have definitely been helped by Edeys presence.

All that matters is what happens after Selection Sunday.

I would rather Purdue make the Final Four and compete for a National Championship

than beat IU, MSU, etc., win the Big Ten, have players win awards, etc.

Only 1 thing matters. Go Boilers!

Reactions: Boileratthebeach
All that matters is what happens after Selection Sunday.

I would rather Purdue make the Final Four and compete for a National Championship

than beat IU, MSU, etc., win the Big Ten, have players win awards, etc.

Only 1 thing matters. Go Boilers!
It’s okay to do some of those other things too. There are no rules against it.

This is the most entertaining thread on the Purdue board.

The same IU people here have been telling us every year that IU will trounce Purdue because they continuously load up with 5* players, while Purdue gets players no one knows. Now one of those "nobody" Purdue players is the leader for NPOY and BTPOY while being surrounded by fellow "nobodies". That same Purdue player has kept his team atop the B10 all season and the nation most of the season. Yet they are crying that Purdue fans should acknowledge that their 5* "stud" (lol) who is surrounded by 5* studs (all hoping for a 3rd or 4th place B10 finish) has a shot at BTPOY.

Folks, that is what this thread is all about. They want Purdue fans, big brother, to tell them that IU is relevent. Happens every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT