ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Player of the Year- 2 Man Race

IMSKRONG

True Freshman
Jun 1, 2022
Big Ten POY is seeming pretty clear to coming down to Zach Edey and Trayce Jackson-Davis. Both are averaging similar numbers in conference play.

Edey: 20.8 points, 14.0 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 2.8 blocks, 0.0 steals, 57.3% FG, 77.1% FT

TJD: 21.4 points, 12.6 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 3.6 blocks, 0.5 steals, 55.9% FG, 73.6 FT

Numbers alone, TJD is the front runner. Context of winning and numbers, it's obviously Edey. But as of now, it's a very close race.

Both teams get into the real meat of their schedule now as well. Especially Purdue, as they've played 6 of 9 conference games against the bottom 4 of the league. Indiana still has Purdue 2x, Michigan 2x, Rutgers, Michigan State, Illinois and Iowa. Purdue has Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin. The SOS without a doubt favors Purdue and Edey, but I think this race will come down to the wire at the end. Both might not be here next year, so just cherish the greatness of each while they are here.

Big Ten POY is seeming pretty clear to coming down to Zach Edey and Trayce Jackson-Davis. Both are averaging similar numbers in conference play.

Edey: 20.8 points, 14.0 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 2.8 blocks, 0.0 steals, 57.3% FG, 77.1% FT

TJD: 21.4 points, 12.6 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 3.6 blocks, 0.5 steals, 55.9% FG, 73.6 FT

Numbers alone, TJD is the front runner. Context of winning and numbers, it's obviously Edey. But as of now, it's a very close race.

Both teams get into the real meat of their schedule now as well. Especially Purdue, as they've played 6 of 9 conference games against the bottom 4 of the league. Indiana still has Purdue 2x, Michigan 2x, Rutgers, Michigan State, Illinois and Iowa. Purdue has Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin. The SOS without a doubt favors Purdue and Edey, but I think this race will come down to the wire at the end. Both might not be here next year, so just cherish the greatness of each while they are here.
I think Murray is ahead of TJD

Murrays conference numbers don't add up to either.

23.4 points, 7.4 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.6 blocks, 1.0 steal, 52.5% FG, 37.3% 3PT, 70.8 FT
Neither does TJD.

Edey is by far the favorite for national player of the year and TJD isn’t even in the conversation.

Murray has been number two according to the pundits at BTN so I’ll go with their thoughts over yours.

If "numbers" are generated by a guy on a lower to mid pack team, does it really matter??

If "numbers" are generated by a guy on a lower to mid pack team, does it really matter??
That’s part of the equation as well and why TJD likely comes up short.

Let’s be honest though. TJD just had two good games that brought his average up to Murray levels. However, Edey being on the B1G champ will have him winning easily.

You use conference stats only here, which is certainly relevant, but do the voters only use Big Ten stats? I would think that they would use the full season stats. If that is the case, then that hurts TJD's chances as he missed a few games and did not play particularly great against the marquee teams in the non-conference schedule.

At the end of the day though, it will likely come down to overall record. If Purdue is sitting at 2 or 3 Big Ten losses at the end of the season and IU is sitting at 5 to 6, then the voters are going to go with Edey.

That’s part of the equation as well and why TJD likely comes up short.

Let’s be honest though. TJD just had two good games that brought his average up to Murray levels. However, Edey being on the B1G champ will have him winning easily.
Yea... You don't have "two good games" out of 8 and put up those numbers.

Another factor that likely will matter: If, as expected the two IU/Purdue games are nationally televised, whichever player shows out in those will get a boost.

Also, not that any player of the year voters will care, but Trayce's assist to turnover numbers are 3.5/2.2; that's extremely good for a big.

Edey's are 1.3/2.4 (not great) and Murray's are 1.8/1.4 (not bad)

Last edited:
Reactions: dayhr11
You use conference stats only here, which is certainly relevant, but do the voters only use Big Ten stats? I would think that they would use the full season stats. If that is the case, then that hurts TJD's chances as he missed a few games and did not play particularly great against the marquee teams in the non-conference schedule.

At the end of the day though, it will likely come down to overall record. If Purdue is sitting at 2 or 3 Big Ten losses at the end of the season and IU is sitting at 5 to 6, then the voters are going to go with Edey.
That'd be my thinking. Team record will end up being the deciding factor. Which is why I mentioned that Purdues remaining schedule works in favor of Edey.

Neither does TJD.

Edey is by far the favorite for national player of the year and TJD isn’t even in the conversation.

Murray has been number two according to the pundits at BTN so I’ll go with their thoughts over yours.
TJD and Edeys numbers on the season aren't even far off. It just comes down to winning. Edey, TJD, Oscar and some others will be in NPOY talks most of the season.

Glad to see you are feeling better. Not long ago you didn't think IU was going to win many more, but many knew the potential IU had in many players with very limited minutes hitting the court.

Today appears to be brighter for IU fans seeing Galloway and Bates dropping some shots. Still at this point in time Zach is considered the front runner for national player of the year which I assume also includes teh Big

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Still a lot of games left. If IU charges back for a share of the B10 title and Purdue falters, it could change everything. Not likely, but it's in the dreams and nightmares of the fans.

Reactions: Roeder and rgarlitz
Still a lot of games left. If IU charges back for a share of the B10 title and Purdue falters, it could change everything. Not likely, but it's in the dreams and nightmares of the fans.
IU has lost too many to challenge. Once those teams with three losses lose another game to four losses, I think they are out of it...until the Big Tourney. Not seen the stats, but IU shooting behind the arc as well as they did and playing home was a great combo for them. They too have some tough games away in which Purdue probably wants them to win some of those. Thursday's game will be a huge win for Purdue if they can get it and go a long way to winning the conference IMO.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
IU has lost too many to challenge. Once those teams with three losses lose another game to four losses, I think they are out of it...until the Big Tourney. Not seen the stats, but IU shooting behind the arc as well as they did and playing home was a great combo for them. They too have some tough games away in which Purdue probably wants them to win some of those. Thursday's game will be a huge win for Purdue if they can get it and go a long way to winning the conference IMO.
Indiana faltered too early. Especially having such a tough conference schedule. I didn't figure Indiana was going to win the B1G anyways because of that. I figured Illinois because of a weak B1G schedule. Looks like it's Purdue instead.

Reactions: tjreese
Indiana faltered too early. Especially having such a tough conference schedule. I didn't figure Indiana was going to win the B1G anyways because of that. I figured Illinois because of a weak B1G schedule. Looks like it's Purdue instead.
I haven't really studied the schedules for comparison. I just know Purdue has won some close ones that have really helped and lost a close one that might already had pretty much secured winning the Big. Hard to imagine Purdue not getting at least a share at this time. I think 3 losses or less wins and 4 losses may tie for the Big doesn't take into consideration who plays who AND when.

Indiana would have to beat Purdue twice to be in the conversation.

IU was running with a very limited version of TJD for a few weeks—now he’s basically back to a full go. But, also will need to get Xavier Johnson and Race Thompson back and healthy to have a chance at that. Two starters, and one of them the starting pg out is almost always a fatal blow.

Reactions: tjreese
A LOT can happen in the next six weeks--and there will probably be February surprises in the B1G. As somebody mentioned, Purdue has played a lot of games against lower-level teams so far. But, that's about to change.

I think the next two for Purdue are really big. Win both (never easy in Ann Arbor) and Purdue would be up 3.5 on Michigan and at least 4 on MSU. I suspect Rutgers and Wisconsin will lose again, which would give everybody 4 conference losses except Purdue. Conversely, losing either or both of the next two would shrink Purdue's gap with tougher games looming.

Indiana could be the wildcard. The Hoosiers are playing much better since their 3-game slide and could flip the script by sweeping Purdue. But I don't think that will happen. A split looks far more likely to me, and that favors Purdue.

IU was running with a very limited version of TJD for a few weeks—now he’s basically back to a full go. But, also will need to get Xavier Johnson and Race Thompson back and healthy to have a chance at that. Two starters, and one of them the starting pg out is almost always a fatal blow.
IU could not lose a game and Purdue would have to lose 3 more for them to be tied. Not sure Purdue will lose 3 more or that IU will not lose any, but stranger thigs have happened. If the refs blow the whistle, Purdue should be fine

A LOT can happen in the next six weeks--and there will probably be February surprises in the B1G. As somebody mentioned, Purdue has played a lot of games against lower-level teams so far. But, that's about to change.

I think the next two for Purdue are really big. Win both (never easy in Ann Arbor) and Purdue would be up 3.5 on Michigan and at least 4 on MSU. I suspect Rutgers and Wisconsin will lose again, which would give everybody 4 conference losses except Purdue. Conversely, losing either or both of the next two would shrink Purdue's gap with tougher games looming.

Indiana could be the wildcard. The Hoosiers are playing much better since their 3-game slide and could flip the script by sweeping Purdue. But I don't think that will happen. A split looks far more likely to me, and that favors Purdue.
They won't flip the script on Purdue, but they can be a factor by beating some of those teams with 3 losses, but they won't beat them all and if they only lose 1 game (and I assume they will play more than 1 game away) ;), then Purdue would have to lose 4...and there is nothing I can see that makes me think that is probable

IU could not lose a game and Purdue would have to lose 3 more for them to be tied. Not sure Purdue will lose 3 more or that IU will not lose any, but stranger thigs have happened. If the refs blow the whistle, Purdue should be fine
I am pretty sure that both IU and Purdue will have more than one additional loss each.

There are just aren't any easy nights in the B1G .

Reactions: rgarlitz
I am pretty sure that both IU and Purdue will have more than one additional loss each.

as of now 3 loses or less wins the Big I believe(probably all 3 loss teams lose one more)...four losses is probably a share for two or so teams I'm guessing.

as of now 3 loses or less wins the Big I believe(probably all 3 loss teams lose one more)...four losses is probably a share for two or so teams I'm guessing.
I had 15-5 winning the Bigten to start the season. I think now that you may be right on at 16-4 for an outright championship.

IU is on a nice streak right now with a couple of big wins. They will lose some more as will Purdue. I think the 3 game gap is enough to get us at least a share at 15-5 and that’s if the wheels fall off, which is unlikely.

Like I said in an earlier post. Go 4-0 or 3-1 in the next four and we should be able to cruise (in BIG terms) to a one seed.

I agree. I'm not as familiar with Indiana's schedule, but I know Purdue is getting into the heart of theirs. My gut tells me Purdue splits the upcoming Michigan/MSU games, splits with Indiana, and splits the trips to Maryland and Wisconsin. The other four games are no joke, either: Iowa, @ Northwestern, Ohio State, Illinois.

Finishing 8-3 could be laudable and very likely at least a share of the regular season title. It will be interesting to see how the freshmen guards hold up in February and March.

Reactions: dayhr11 and DrEss

Why cherry pick only BIG numbers? Is this why? Season avg:

Zach: 21.5 pts, 13.2 reb, 1.3 ast, 2.3 blk, 61.4%fg, 74.4%FT
Trace: 19.4 pts, 10.1 reb, 3.5 ast, 3.1 blk, 59.9%fg, 71.6%FT

That plus Purdue is a step up better team, in fact the best team in the nation currently. That is why this really shouldn't even be a conversation other than some wishful thinking from and iu fan that Trace has a chance. Now I'll be first to say that Trace is a fantastic college player and all American level. Zach's award to lose and no one expects him to let up.

Reactions: tjreese and punaj

POTFH

Why cherry pick only BIG numbers? Is this why? Season avg:

Zach: 21.5 pts, 13.2 reb, 1.3 ast, 2.3 blk, 61.4%fg, 74.4%FT
Trace: 19.4 pts, 10.1 reb, 3.5 ast, 3.1 blk, 59.9%fg, 71.6%FT

That plus Purdue is a step up better team, in fact the best team in the nation currently. That is why this really shouldn't even be a conversation other than some wishful thinking from and iu fan that Trace has a chance. Now I'll be first to say that Trace is a fantastic college player and all American level. Zach's award to lose and no one expects him to let up.
Well... When it comes to B1G POY, B1G numbers are what matters the most. Right? Why would games against Florida A&M and Jackson State matter? And even their numbers on the year make it a two man race.

What a stupid thread to start, and on a PU forum of all places lmao

No serious CBBall fan would agree with your take as Edey is the clear favorite across all formats and networks, much less here at PUR CBBall fan central.

Go float this garbage on an IU forum if you want an echo chamber for your delusion. POTFH

I'm cherishing nothing about TJD, back to Peegs with you!

I don’t recall hearing anyone calling a game say TJD for NPOY let along B1G POY. Even during IU games. I hear them talk about how he was a preseason all American but they quickly say how things change once the season starts, implying not any more.

Apples to oranges. Edey, and it is not even close. See how tjd does guarding edey with him being 9 inches shorter.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
TJD and Edeys numbers on the season aren't even far off. It just comes down to winning. Edey, TJD, Oscar and some others will be in NPOY talks most of the season.
They may not be far off, but a preseason top 5-10 team vs a player that has carried this team to a #1 ranking multiple times, 19-1 overall, 8-1, Kenpom #5 vs #21. I think TJD is playing well, but Zach has to be the favorite and probably by a large margin at this point. Does that change? Who knows .....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT