ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Player of the Year- 2 Man Race

I don't know... How is it 2 of the best players in the nation can also be a conference POY race? I'm not sure why that's hard to grasp?
If you do not know how your position is logical, then it must be assumed that it is not as you are not able to argue in its favor. Why then would you expect anyone to agree with a position that you cannot demonstrate is logical?

If you do not know how your position is logical, then it must be assumed that it is not as you are not able to argue in its favor. Why then would you expect anyone to agree with a position that you cannot demonstrate is logical?
This guy is grasping at straws. There is no way he is this dense.

The only POY TJD will win is POY for IU. Four year one and done.

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
It is logical, because there is indeed a path for TJD to win NPOY over Edey.

• Haha
Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
You are correct in that it is theoretically possible for TJD to win the NPOY. As I pointed out, he is 20-1 to do so. That is a low probability this late in the season but it is finite. Nobody has said that it is impossible, just that it is very unlikely. Remember, there is 4.8% chance of it occurring vs Edey's 93.3% chance.

What is not logically possible is to have TJD winning or sharing the conference award and Edey solely winning the national award. That was the contention that you made earlier. Do not move goalposts.

Aain
You are correct in that it is theoretically possible for TJD to win the NPOY. As I pointed out, he is 20-1 to do so. That is a low probability this late in the season but it is finite. Nobody has said that it is impossible, just that it is very unlikely. Remember, there is 4.8% chance of it occurring vs Edey's 93.3% chance.

What is not logically possible is to have TJD winning or sharing the conference award and Edey solely winning the national award. That was the contention that you made earlier. Do not move goalposts.
Well when you understand the emphasis on conference games for B1G POY then maybe it'd be easier for you to understand.

Aain

Well when you understand the emphasis on conference games for B1G POY then maybe it'd be easier for you to understand.
You state that there is an emphasis on conference games in the voting. I asked you before: do you have any documentation or cite anything that voters are supposed to emphasize conference results only? I never have seen you address that. If voters are not told to do so, then why do you state that there is an emphasis on that? Why would they not be able to consider all games in judging performance unless instructed not to do so? It seems as though you have admitted illogic and now making a declaration of unsupported fact.

In what world do you live in where any narrative of TJD being a one and done existed?
When TJD entered IU as a 5-star recruit, there were numerous posts on this board and on the Peeg's board by IU fans citing his brilliance and the fact that he was to move on after a year. There was no expectation by these posters that he would be at IU at this point. Expectations fell far short of reality.

Aain

“The Big Ten Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Year is a basketball award given to the Big Ten Conference's most outstanding player.”

This is an explanation from the Big Ten on who wins. Nowhere does it say Big Ten games only. In fact it goes on to say this.

Awarded forthe most outstanding basketball player in the Big Ten Conference

You can stop making stuff up now.

TJD isn’t winning anything.

Reactions: SaratogaBoiler1
When TJD entered IU as a 5-star recruit, there were numerous posts on this board and on the Peeg's board by IU fans citing his brilliance and the fact that he was to move on after a year. There was no expectation by these posters that he would be at IU at this point. Expectations fell far short of reality.
When did he enter IU as a 5 star recruit?

“The Big Ten Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Year is a basketball award given to the Big Ten Conference's most outstanding player.”

This is an explanation from the Big Ten on who wins. Nowhere does it say Big Ten games only. In fact it goes on to say this.

Yup. That is the only definition they give. And the media is likely to say B1G games have more of an emphasis on their vote than non conference games. And again, you don't even need to play a non conference game to win B1G POY.

Not intended to come to his defense, but it's not completely unprecedented for the NPOY to not win his CPOY. It's posted above that this has happened a couple of times in the ACC. Odds of it happening here seem slim as IMO IU would need to win out and have TJD thoroughly outplay Zach in Mackey, but it's not impossible. Zero chance, IMO, that TJD wins NPOY unless he leads IU to the FF.

As I posted earlier, I agree with the view that only counting conference stats in determining CPOY is not a real thing for the people who actually determine the award.

Yup. That is the only definition they give. And the media is likely to say B1G games have more of an emphasis on their vote than non conference games. And again, you don't even need to play a non conference game to win B1G POY.
You just changed your argument from non-conference games 'having zero impact' to conference games 'having more emphasis'. Just put it to bed and admit that you don't think that non-conference games should be counted but that the people who determine the award do consider both.

And he likely won't win B1G POY. I mean that's fine. It happens. Always seems to be a surprise in the B1G somewhere. Edey has been that surprise. Northwestern. But TJD will easily finish 2nd most likely for B1G POY and putting up POY type numbers, be 1st team All-B1G and 1st team All-American and probably Top 3-4 for B1G DPOY. Probably finish Top 3-4 for NPOY. I'd that is pretty freaking good.

You just changed your argument from non-conference games 'having zero impact' to conference games 'having more emphasis'. Just put it to bed and admit that you don't think that non-conference games should be counted but that the people who determine the award do consider both.
They do have more emphasis. So much so that non conference games have no impact.

• Haha
Reactions: northside100
They do have more emphasis. So much so that non conference games have no impact.
You have zero evidence that this is true. It clearly says “most outstanding player”.

I can assure you that OOC games are included in this equation.

I'm very proud of you for finding an article... Now try and be accurate. He finished 27th in ESPNs Top 100 and a 4 star.
Why don't you cite that for us? That would mean that he declined 10 spots if you are correct. So the real decline started even before he got there?

There is zero evidence that that's true for anyone who counts, i.e. those who make the decision and undeniable evidence that it's not true. I don't mean this as an insult, but comments like the one above just make you look silly. If you're vying for attention, you're doing a great job. If you want any credibility, comments like that absolutely wipe out any intelligent comments that you make (and I do think you raise some valid points).

Why don't you cite that for us? That would mean that he declined 10 spots if you are correct. So the real decline started even before he got there?
That happens in HS basketball rankings. You can literally just look on ESPNs website. On Rivals he finished 35th and on 247sports composite he finished 30th. Super weird how you think it makes him a failure to be in school for 4 years. So I guess if First is still around by year 4 he's a failure too?

Other than your declaration of supposed fact, can you cite anything that is independent of you that this is the case?
It’s says it on the Big Ten page itself.

Most outstanding player (IN) the Big Ten conference is different than Most outstanding player (DURING) the Big Ten conference.

Most folks learn to comprehend sentences in fifth grade.

There is zero evidence that that's true for anyone who counts, i.e. those who make the decision and undeniable evidence that it's not true. I don't mean this as an insult, but comments like the one above just make you look silly. If you're vying for attention, you're doing a great job. If you want any credibility, comments like that absolutely wipe out any intelligent comments that you make (and I do think you raise some valid points).
If Purdue fans wanted any credibility they wouldn't stay "it's all over." Or cry about the refs and then try to act holier than thou when other teams fans do.

Oh yea I am sure the voters are already comparing their Q4 games.
They are as quad four games are part of the entire body of work. If they were comparing only conference games they would say so.

You can have the last word, I’m done with this topic. I’ve given you the proof and everyone here knows the facts no matter how you try to state made up crap in this thread.

They are as quad four games are part of the entire body of work. If they were comparing only conference games they would say so.

You can have the last word, I’m done with this topic. I’ve given you the proof and everyone here knows the facts no matter how you try to state made up crap in this thread.
I don't think they have to say so. But it'd irrational to compare games against Q4 bottom dwellers for CPOY... Unless you play in those conferences.

That happens in HS basketball rankings. You can literally just look on ESPNs website. On Rivals he finished 35th and on 247sports composite he finished 30th. Super weird how you think it makes him a failure to be in school for 4 years. So I guess if First is still around by year 4 he's a failure too?

What is the date of this listing? I looked and it is not there, or at least not easy to see. I am curious if this is a final ranking or not. The CBS article is at the end of March, the season is over and he is 18th. He was 17th on Nov 30th the previous year. Since players typically enroll for summer school in June, he would have had to drop 9 places while not playing. That seems odd.

What is the date of this listing? I looked and it is not there, or at least not easy to see. I am curious if this is a final ranking or not. The CBS article is at the end of March, the season is over and he is 18th. He was 17th on Nov 30th the previous year. Since players typically enroll for summer school in June, he would have had to drop 9 places while not playing. That seems odd.
And things like that happen. I'm not sure the exact science. Look on 24/7 Sports and they show the up and downs and timelines. I'm not sure when players quit playing in their senior year anymore.

I don't think they have to say so. But it'd irrational to compare games against Q4 bottom dwellers for CPOY... Unless you play in those conferences.
You "...don't think they have to say so." Translation: I don't have any data to support my contention; I just have my personal thoughts. You have just destroyed your own argument.

This is America. You are entitled to your opinion, however ridiculous or absurd it is. But don't expect to be taken seriously by others.

If it is not an exact science, then why are you quibbling about minor differences? Your position has become farcical by your changing positions.

And things like that happen. I'm not sure the exact science. Look on 24/7 Sports and they show the up and downs and timelines. I'm not sure when players quit playing in their senior year anymore.
You do not know when this ranking was made. You don't know if it was a final ranking. So why are you citing this in disagreement as it is impossible to say if this was later than the end of March, which is when the CBS article was published? Again, this makes no sense.

I have come to the conclusion, like others here, that you are not serious in your posting.

If it is not an exact science, then why are you quibbling about minor differences? Your position has become farcical by your changing positions.
Well if you're going to try and build some narrative, at least be accurate. It's as bad as the "Indiana is ranked every year" narrative.

Accurate about what? I have no idea what you are posting about. And I am not sure that you are either. I cannot remember when Indiana was not ranked in preseason voting. Ranking is by definition an ordered listing according to some variable. In the case of polls, it is votes assigned. At present, NW is ranked 27th in the AP poll, they have less points than 26th (Missouri) and more than 28th (Illinois.) In the USA TODAY COACHES poll, they are 26th behind Texas A&M and ahead of FAU.

I am sure that it may have happened at some point, but without looking it up I am fairly confident that IU was listed in the AP voting in most of the recent past years' preseason voting. Is it your contention that it is not true? If so, then they subsequently underperformed their preseason ranking because they were not in the receiving votes group at year's end. I say that I am confident because IU fans made mention of it with glee and remember it clearly. A common theme that IU fans remind us of every year is that their recruits are more highly rated and thus will outperform Purdue. Is it your position that does not happen?

This year they were preseason favorites. At present, they are tied for 2nd place, 2.5 games out with 6 to play. If you are the favorite, finishing 2nd or worse is underperforming expectations by definition. Now, it is fair to say that there exists a mathematical path to a first place tie or even win. But that path is fairly narrow. Every Purdue win and/or IU loss makes it even more narrow. If you are really confident in your view, I'd suggest that you place a bet with one of the betting services online as I think that you could really get long odds with a good payout. However, that is not a bet that I would encourage you to make.

Accurate about what? I have no idea what you are posting about. And I am not sure that you are either. I cannot remember when Indiana was not ranked in preseason voting. Ranking is by definition an ordered listing according to some variable. In the case of polls, it is votes assigned. At present, NW is ranked 27th in the AP poll, they have less points than 26th (Missouri) and more than 28th (Illinois.) In the USA TODAY COACHES poll, they are 26th behind Texas A&M and ahead of FAU.

I am sure that it may have happened at some point, but without looking it up I am fairly confident that IU was listed in the AP voting in most of the recent past years' preseason voting. Is it your contention that it is not true? If so, then they subsequently underperformed their preseason ranking because they were not in the receiving votes group at year's end. I say that I am confident because IU fans made mention of it with glee and remember it clearly. A common theme that IU fans remind us of every year is that their recruits are more highly rated and thus will outperform Purdue. Is it your position that does not happen?

This year they were preseason favorites. At present, they are tied for 2nd place, 2.5 games out with 6 to play. If you are the favorite, finishing 2nd or worse is underperforming expectations by definition. Now, it is fair to say that there exists a mathematical path to a first place tie or even win. But that path is fairly narrow. Every Purdue win and/or IU loss makes it even more narrow. If you are really confident in your view, I'd suggest that you place a bet with one of the betting services online as I think that you could really get long odds with a good payout. However, that is not a bet that I would encourage you to make.
Well if you want to know when Indiana wasn't ranked in the preseason... Try 14 out of the past 20 seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT