ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Player of the Year- 2 Man Race

Who has said TJD sucks? Nobody has.

The problem you have is that Edey has been producing since the first game and gained a sizable lead in the NPY race during the trip to Portland. The entire nation saw those performances and Edey hasn’t let up since. I suppose it could happen but I highly doubt that the Bigten votes the POY someone other than the NPOY if he comes from inside the league. TJD has a high hill to climb to make up ths gap Edey created during the first two months of the season.
And if you want to know about their last 4...

Edey: 20 points, 13 rebounds, 1 assist and 3 blocks per game. Which is fan-freakimg-tastic obviously and NPOY and B1G POY numbers.
TJD has obviously went off the past 4 games during this winning streak and you can't deny that TJD is one of the Ten best players in CBB. Possibly Top 5. Can he keep this up? Who knows. Maybe? Hopefully. Will make things in the Big Ten way more interesting right? Give some excitement down the stretch for everyone.
TJD last 4: 27.3 points, 14.3 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 4.8 blocks

*Again, no one ever said that Edey wasn't the frontrunner for either. There is just a path for TJD to catch up and possibly pass Edey.*

This entire board constantly talks about how TJD isn't any good. Which makes no sense considering how close he and Edeys numbers are. And I've said, TJDs chances will come down to winning down the stretch of the season and continuing to dominate opponents like he has been. There hasn't been a better player in the nation than TJD over his last 4 games. Not a single one, that includes Edey over his last 4.
I have never said that TJD isn't any good.

This is a stupid argument and IMO it should be done. You're an IU fan and will look at this differently than Purdue fans will. They're both good, maybe great players, especially this year, especially during B1G season. Odds are strong that Edey will win all the meaningful POY awards this season. That doesn't mean TJD isn't any good. It just means he's playing for 2nd with 11 games to go. Can that get closer? Yes. Will it? Maybe but not enough to make a difference IMO.

Reactions: Poprudy
This entire board constantly talks about how TJD isn't any good. Which makes no sense considering how close he and Edeys numbers are. And I've said, TJDs chances will come down to winning down the stretch of the season and continuing to dominate opponents like he has been. There hasn't been a better player in the nation than TJD over his last 4 games. Not a single one, that includes Edey over his last 4.
No you came on a Purdue saying TJD was the front runner and we defended Zach.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
And if you want to know about their last 4...

Edey: 20 points, 13 rebounds, 1 assist and 3 blocks per game. Which is fan-freakimg-tastic obviously and NPOY and B1G POY numbers.
TJD has obviously went off the past 4 games during this winning streak and you can't deny that TJD is one of the Ten best players in CBB. Possibly Top 5. Can he keep this up? Who knows. Maybe? Hopefully. Will make things in the Big Ten way more interesting right? Give some excitement down the stretch for everyone.
TJD last 4: 27.3 points, 14.3 rebounds, 3.8 assists, 4.8 blocks

*Again, no one ever said that Edey wasn't the frontrunner for either. There is just a path for TJD to catch up and possibly pass Edey.*
Big Ten POY is seeming pretty clear to coming down to Zach Edey and Trayce Jackson-Davis. Both are averaging similar numbers in conference play.

Edey: 20.8 points, 14.0 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 2.8 blocks, 0.0 steals, 57.3% FG, 77.1% FT

TJD: 21.4 points, 12.6 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 3.6 blocks, 0.5 steals, 55.9% FG, 73.6 FT

Numbers alone, TJD is the front runner. Context of winning and numbers, it's obviously Edey. But as of now, it's a very close race.

Both teams get into the real meat of their schedule now as well. Especially Purdue, as they've played 6 of 9 conference games against the bottom 4 of the league. Indiana still has Purdue 2x, Michigan 2x, Rutgers, Michigan State, Illinois and Iowa. Purdue has Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin. The SOS without a doubt favors Purdue and Edey, but I think this race will come down to the wire at the end. Both might not be here next year, so just cherish the greatness of each while they are here

You see where you said in the first post. TJD is the front runner off of numbers. Lol

Last edited:
Big Ten POY is seeming pretty clear to coming down to Zach Edey and Trayce Jackson-Davis. Both are averaging similar numbers in conference play.

Edey: 20.8 points, 14.0 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 2.8 blocks, 0.0 steals, 57.3% FG, 77.1% FT

TJD: 21.4 points, 12.6 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 3.6 blocks, 0.5 steals, 55.9% FG, 73.6 FT

Numbers alone, TJD is the front runner. Context of winning and numbers, it's obviously Edey. But as of now, it's a very close race.

Both teams get into the real meat of their schedule now as well. Especially Purdue, as they've played 6 of 9 conference games against the bottom 4 of the league. Indiana still has Purdue 2x, Michigan 2x, Rutgers, Michigan State, Illinois and Iowa. Purdue has Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin. The SOS without a doubt favors Purdue and Edey, but I think this race will come down to the wire at the end. Both might not be here next year, so just cherish the greatness of each while they are here

You see where you said in the first post. TJD is the front runner off of numbers. Lol
Right.. off of just numbers. Now read the next sentence.

Right.. off of just numbers. Now read the next sentence.
Oh, I read it. Just thought it was funny how you claimed off of TJD's numbers he was the front runner. As of right now it's Edey's to lose. Edey has been the most consistent big man in the nation. TJD had big minutes against Kansas, Arizona and Rutgers and struggled.

Last edited:
Oh, I read it. Just thought it was funny how you claimed off of TJD's numbers he was the front runner. As of right now it's Edey's to lose. Edey has been the most consistent big man in the nation. TJD had big minutes against Kansas, Arizona and Rutgers and struggled.
Right, because in a vacuum, TJD has better numbers in B1G play. With context, Edey is the frontrunner. I'm not sure what's hard to get there.

In those games he confirmed in his Illinois post game interview what others in CBB speculated, he was playing at 60-70% health due to injuries since mid Nov.

I presume Feb and March games carry more weight than the early season in voters minds for awards. We shall see.

Edeys most impressive stat for me this season is his min/gm. I would have bet the farm he would struggle playing 50% more PT.

His game makes me want to search YouTube for an old Ralph Sampson game to see how they compare.

In those games he confirmed in his Illinois post game interview what others in CBB speculated, he was playing at 60-70% health due to injuries since mid Nov.

I presume Feb and March games carry more weight than the early season in voters minds for awards. We shall see.

Edeys most impressive stat for me this season is his min/gm. I would have bet the farm he would struggle playing 50% more PT.

His game makes me want to search YouTube for an old Ralph Sampson game to see how they compare.
Edey is the poor man's Yao Ming. Unfortunately, NBA have forgotten how to use big men. Like an old lost relic.

I watched some of the IU at Minnesota game last night and it confirmed what I've thought of TJD for four years, he's an outstanding athlete and an excellent player who plays losing basketball. Shitty body language, gets visibly upset with teammates when he doesn't get the ball, dishes out a few assists but doesn't really make those around him better. It would have been interesting to see him play for Knight or Painter, I expect that he would have been a much different / better player.
Knight would have stopped that prancing and flexing immediately. He and his mom's choice were the bright lights...the flash...the shiny thing and his play lately only validates the harsh letter he received as he had not nearly tapped what he was capable. Oh well, he is an incredible athlete and he is IUs to deal with winning...losing...or just perception as you described. Overall, he probably is a good kid that hasn't had to reach inside much growing up to deal with things other kids might...

Reactions: Boiler8285

Ralph was more effective away from the basket would be my general memories...

Knight would have stopped that prancing and flexing immediately. He and his mom's choice were the bright lights...the flash...the shiny thing and his play lately only validates the harsh letter he received as he had not nearly tapped what he was capable. Oh well, he is an incredible athlete and he is IUs to deal with winning...losing...or just perception as you described. Overall, he probably is a good kid that hasn't had to reach inside much growing up to deal with things other kids might...
"His play lately only validated the harsh letter..."

What does that even mean? You mean how's he's been the best player in the nation the last 2 weeks and has Indiana on a 4 game winning streak?

What does that even mean? You mean how's he's been the best player in the nation the last 2 weeks and has Indiana on a 4 game winning streak?
He's playing well but he doesn't play winning basketball and won't win anything of consequence at IU. As posted above, I do wonder what might have been had he played for better coaching staffs.

Why do Purdue fans struggle with reading comprehension?
"This entire board talks constantly about how TJD isn't any good" and indicated we said he "sucks". Not only do you not have reading comprehension yourself, but you keep spouting lies. Are you in middle school? Look, we all know the only reason you posted this thread is because iu is unranked and Purdue is #1 in the country and you can't handle it. You are trying to find one thing better about iu for some pathetic consolation prize. Just deal with it. Purdue is awesome.

no not at all that. Corerct me if I'm wrong but thought the letter described him as no leader, soft...not playing to his abilities...an embarassment. I don't think the letter was appropriate, but his play has been better since outside of last night against the subs at Minny. Block not called a foul...right or wrong as witnessed by the groans of the Minny fans seeing what we did on the replay and Minny subs walk away with a W.

Whatever reason you want TJD to be the best player...that is fine. I don't think he has the body of work, but you and I don't matter...and the fact is, it really doesn't matter to most people. I simply think it is quite satisfying that Purdue has played as well as they have and who would have thought that Purdue losing 5 out of the top 6 players would be as good as IU who returned almost the whole team and added 2 five stars?

I've enjoyed Purdue, the heart, the chemistry, the effort, the "intelligent play" and the youth...all players filled with substance. You like IU and that is fine. I would expect that, and you like IU for your reasons none of which must be justified. I wouldn't have thought that with IU having so many older players that TJD would be as needed as the team that starts two freshmen, a soph and two juniors, but I'm not as tuned in to IU as you. I would just like Purdue's youth to come away with a W at the Hall and then home more than Zach beating TJD for Big player or national player of the year and although THAT may be very important to TJD it may not have the "same" importance with Zach although I'm sure he will be grateful when it happens.

Reactions: Poprudy
"This entire board talks constantly about how TJD isn't any good" and indicated we said he "sucks". Not only do you not have reading comprehension yourself, but you keep spouting lies. Are you in middle school? Look, we all know the only reason you posted this thread is because iu is unranked and Purdue is #1 in the country and you can't handle it. You are trying to find one thing better about iu for some pathetic consolation prize. Just deal with it. Purdue is awesome.
Trojan or B1G gotta be. Definitely, has a narcissistic twist to himself.

ok. many members of this board have a poor memory.

while the entire board has not said Trayce and IU suk, there are many threads that involve posters here that have said both.

All you have to do is read a thread about IU, and you will see many posters saying IU suks.

there are also a couple of threads on this board where trayce's name was mentioned. it talked about his NBA potential. and yet again, there were many posters here that all said Trayce suked.

it's not the entire board, but there are many who say it , just because they want to feel good about themselves about saying IU sucks. they don't say Northwestern or Ball st suks. they reserve those words only for IU.

i guess it's a rivalry thing where they feel compelled or they need to let their testosterone out. I've never understood the entire thing where people feel compelled to publically degrade other universities or players on a message board. You should only post what you would say publically to someone's face.

ok. many members of this board have a poor memory.

while the entire board has not said Trayce and IU suk, there are many threads that involve posters here that have said both.

All you have to do is read a thread about IU, and you will see many posters saying IU suks.

there are also a couple of threads on this board where trayce's name was mentioned. it talked about his NBA potential. and yet again, there were many posters here that all said Trayce suked.

it's not the entire board, but there are many who say it , just because they want to feel good about themselves about saying IU sucks. they don't say Northwestern or Ball st suks. they reserve those words only for IU.

i guess it's a rivalry thing where they feel compelled or they need to let their testosterone out. I've never understood the entire thing where people feel compelled to publically degrade other universities or players on a message board. You should only post what you would say publically to someone's face.
I said TJD doesn’t suck. IU definitely sucks.

no not at all that. Corerct me if I'm wrong but thought the letter described him as no leader, soft...not playing to his abilities...an embarassment. I don't think the letter was appropriate, but his play has been better since outside of last night against the subs at Minny. Block not called a foul...right or wrong as witnessed by the groans of the Minny fans seeing what we did on the replay and Minny subs walk away with a W.

Whatever reason you want TJD to be the best player...that is fine. I don't think he has the body of work, but you and I don't matter...and the fact is, it really doesn't matter to most people. I simply think it is quite satisfying that Purdue has played as well as they have and who would have thought that Purdue losing 5 out of the top 6 players would be as good as IU who returned almost the whole team and added 2 five stars?

I've enjoyed Purdue, the heart, the chemistry, the effort, the "intelligent play" and the youth...all players filled with substance. You like IU and that is fine. I would expect that, and you like IU for your reasons none of which must be justified. I wouldn't have thought that with IU having so many older players that TJD would be as needed as the team that starts two freshmen, a soph and two juniors, but I'm not as tuned in to IU as you. I would just like Purdue's youth to come away with a W at the Hall and then home more than Zach beating TJD for Big player or national player of the year and although THAT may be very important to TJD it may not have the "same" importance with Zach although I'm sure he will be grateful when it happens.
Outside of last night? He had 25 points, 21 rebounds and 6 blocks. Is that a bad game?

It will be easy to make the thread die. Just beat Michigan and Indiana. And poof!

We’ll be talking about something else .

Reactions: Zaphod_B
one down. edey >>>>>>>>>> dickenson. Bring on trayce !
I didn't get to watch because I was at the IU women's game. Looks like Dickinson played right with Edey. But I love seeing Michigan lose. Dickinson is a major dbag. I like seeing him lose more than Purdue, Kansas, Duke or Kentucky.

I didn't get to watch because I was at the IU women's game. Looks like Dickinson played right with Edey. But I love seeing Michigan lose. Dickinson is a major dbag. I like seeing him lose more than Purdue, Kansas, Duke or Kentucky.
Dickenson, with his height, affected Zach's passing and forced him into some turnovers. Otherwise, Zach went over and around Dickenson with relative ease( much easier than many players Zach has faced) because Dickenson is not tough. Dirty, yes. But not tough.

It's a bad bet. I think I've seen Painter use zone about 3 times for something like 45 seconds over the last 12 years.
And it may not be a technical "zone." Just something that won't put Edey and First on an island against TJD. And something that wouldn't put Edey out on the perimeter in pick and rolls.

Dickerson may have put up better or similar stats, but Edey controlled the game which was more important. So in deciding for big 10 player of the year, Edey definitely won this battle with a statement game.

• Love
Reactions: northside100
Dickerson may have put up better or similar stats, but Edey controlled the game which was more important. So in deciding for big 10 player of the year, Edey definitely won this battle with a statement game.
Dickinson ain't even in the conversation. Which is great. Maybe the dbag will get of the podcast.

Edey dominated him early & played extremely well for first 22 minutes. He actually only scored 2 points in last 18 minutes.

Let’s just say before the game, Dickinson was included in the conversation. But after Edey’s statement game, he left no doubt who the better player was and is.

As I look to the future, I respect Trayce enough to at least include him in the conversation! However, I expect both Edey and Purdue will have something to prove and to show!

Michigan badly needed this win and it was at their house. Edey had a statement game!

Let’s just say before the game, Dickinson was included in the conversation. But after Edey’s statement game, he left no doubt who the better player was and is.

As I look to the future, I respect Trayce enough to at least include him in the conversation! However, I expect both Edey and Purdue will have something to prove and to show!

Michigan badly needed this win and it was at their house. Edey had a statement game!
I'm glad Purdue won. Michigan, Juwan Howard and Dickinson and screw themselves.

I kind of feel bad for Dickinson. He could have gone in the draft last year but didn’t like where he was projected. So he came back to improve his draft stock. He now looks as if his stock has dropped even farther and he’s almost 76 years old in NBA draft dog years.

I kind of feel bad for Dickinson. He could have gone in the draft last year but didn’t like where he was projected. So he came back to improve his draft stock. He now looks as if his stock has dropped even farther and he’s almost 76 years old in NBA draft dog years.
He's definitely screwed himself more than anyone else... Couldn't have happened to a more arrogant person.

ADVERTISEMENT