ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Player of the Year- 2 Man Race

They may not be far off, but a preseason top 5-10 team vs a player that has carried this team to a #1 ranking multiple times, 19-1 overall, 8-1, Kenpom #5 vs #21. I think TJD is playing well, but Zach has to be the favorite and probably by a large margin at this point. Does that change? Who knows .....
Good point. Edey's media celebrity is an important factor. Obviously, a lot of that comes from his eye-popping stats. But, he's also leading a team that has way exceeded expectations.

Reactions: Poprudy
What a stupid thread to start, and on a PU forum of all places lmao

No serious CBBall fan would agree with your take as Edey is the clear favorite across all formats and networks, much less here at PUR CBBall fan central.

Go float this garbage on an IU forum if you want an echo chamber for your delusion. POTFH
VERY well said.

I agree. I'm not as familiar with Indiana's schedule, but I know Purdue is getting into the heart of theirs. My gut tells me Purdue splits the upcoming Michigan/MSU games, splits with Indiana, and splits the trips to Maryland and Wisconsin. The other four games are no joke, either: Iowa, @ Northwestern, Ohio State, Illinois.

Finishing 8-3 could be laudable and very likely at least a share of the regular season title. It will be interesting to see how the freshmen guards hold up in February and March.
Finishing eight and three easily wins the Big 10 outright.

Predicting end of season awards at the beginning or middle of the season is a rather frivolous and fruitless venture! There are still many games left to play. Maybe Murray will catch on fire. Maybe Dickerson will wake up. Maybe an injury will occur. Maybe maybe maybe…

The same is the with making final 4 predictions! The more times you predict something will happen the more likely it doesn’t happen. .

So if you want something to happen, stop predicting it will. And just be happy and surprised if it actually does happen! I’m confident Ivie is a lot happier playing for Detroit than Sacramento or Houston who were predicted to draft him.

What a stupid thread to start, and on a PU forum of all places lmao

No serious CBBall fan would agree with your take as Edey is the clear favorite across all formats and networks, much less here at PUR CBBall fan central.

Go float this garbage on an IU forum if you want an echo chamber for your delusion. POTFH
It must really hurt your feelings to know there is a player that is currently, and without any doubt, playing better than Edey. Now, if you knew how to read, you'd see where it has been stated that Edey is the frontrunner and that Edey will win it as long as Purdue keeps winning. And has been stated that they should, as they have a weaker schedule remaining. So maybe read? Maybe don't get so butthurt?

It must really hurt your feelings to know there is a player that is currently, and without any doubt, playing better than Edey. Now, if you knew how to read, you'd see where it has been stated that Edey is the frontrunner and that Edey will win it as long as Purdue keeps winning. And has been stated that they should, as they have a weaker schedule remaining. So maybe read? Maybe don't get so butthurt?
It must REALLY really hurt your feelings to know that your guy and your team have underachieved so much that nobody gives a crap about either one. In fact we know it hurt because you were here 2 weeks ago crying your poor widdle eyes out about how they were going to lose their next 10 games. But now you win a couple and all of a sudden you've got the player of the year? Go back to your candy striped circle jerk where they can tell you all about the great teams they used to have before you were born. Your opinion is no longer welcome. Run along junior.

In your estimation he's playing better than Edey. But does Davis get triple teamed every time he touches the ball? Edey is the clear front runner and is getting all the press (except from IU media). Step out of your bubble and read what the rest of the country is saying.

Reactions: Monk1014
In what category? Rebounds..no, PPG...no, Ft%..,no Fg%...no, team wins...no. Ranking...no, Kenpom...no. what are you literally basing this off of? Hatred?

Reactions: Emartin70287
In what category? Rebounds..no, PPG...no, Ft%..,no Fg%...no, team wins...no. Ranking...no, Kenpom...no. what are you literally basing this off of? Hatred?
Y'all have a real problem with reading... Must not be a Purdue strong suit.. Currently. As in the past week... Ya know.. where TJD just won National Player of the Week.

In your estimation he's playing better than Edey. But does Davis get triple teamed every time he touches the ball? Edey is the clear front runner and is getting all the press (except from IU media). Step out of your bubble and read what the rest of the country is saying.
Step out of my bubble? Lol. You should probably step out of yours. Edey and TJD are putting up close to Tim Duncan numbers this year. But I guess IU fans can appreciate good Purdue players more. And yea, TJD gets doubled and triple teamed. Happened against Xavier, UNC, Arizona, Kansas, Rutgers... But teams can't leave shooters open like they could last season. MSU dug in some and it didn't work. Illinois did nothing for some reason. Wisconsin for some reason didn't even double. But I'd say those are big coaching mistakes. At the same time, can't leave 3pt shooters open and TJD has been one of the best player makers in B1G play this year.

Well... When it comes to B1G POY, B1G numbers are what matters the most. Right? Why would games against Florida A&M and Jackson State matter? And even their numbers on the year make it a two man race.
I can understand that, but people recall the full body of work

Which is why I said Indiana would have to keep winning. If Indiana is within 3 games of Purdue, TJD has a good shot at winning. Big Ten Championship doesn't guarantee a POY award.
Disagree. If Edey keeps up his current pace of production and Purdue wins the title outright, it’s hard to see TJD overtaking him.

Which is why I said Indiana would have to keep winning. If Indiana is within 3 games of Purdue, TJD has a good shot at winning. Big Ten Championship doesn't guarantee a POY award.
Are you serious? If we win the B1G. Zach will win the POY without a doubt and most likely NPOY.

Reactions: Abugabby
I can understand that, but people recall the full body of work
Big Ten numbers take priority in B1G POY voting. That includes winning. Indiana can really only afford to lose 2-3 more games for TJD to stay on Edeys heels for the award.

• Haha
Disagree. If Edey keeps up his current pace of production and Purdue wins the title outright, it’s hard to see TJD overtaking him.
Well as if now, TJD is ahead of him in the numbers in B1G play. Edey has the winning. But the numbers are close enough. TJD isn't going to pull a Luka Garza and average 26 and 10 in B1G and win POY on a team with 9 conference losses.

Who is saying otherwise?
2-3 more losses would put you at either 14-6 or 13-7 with 12 games remaining and we would need to go 6-5 or 5-6 our remaining 11 games. I would be very shocked. You're expecting a miracle

Well as if now, TJD is ahead of him in the numbers in B1G play. Edey has the winning. But the numbers are close enough. TJD isn't going to pull a Luka Garza and average 26 and 10 in B1G and win POY on a team with 9 conference losses.
It’s highly debatable whether TJD has better numbers within Big Ten play. TJD has an edge in assists, but Edey is more efficient. TJD has a few more blocks and steals, but far more fouls as well. (Edey plays surprisingly good positional defense).

Big Ten numbers take priority in B1G POY voting. That includes winning. Indiana can really only afford to lose 2-3 more games for TJD to stay on Edeys heels for the award.
I was unaware there was a rubric agreed upon that had numbers for various attributes. I figured numbers whatever those were was only partially the rating as the eye test had value as well. Still, I'm sure...without doubt that the award would mean a lot more to Trayce than Zach and that is something I would assume all would agree.

What I don't know...and perhaps you do, is I assume that the talk of National Player of the Year does NOT forget about the Big and those people that agree with that thought surmise that National Player of the Year is heavily influenced by teh conference since those data points and eye tests go into the NPOTY consideration. I guess I would be surprised that numbers...how many...what are they...how are they weighted ignore qualitative data as well. If I'm wrong so be it...not that important to me just that I didn't think there was a race at this time...

2-3 more losses would put you at either 14-6 or 13-7 with 12 games remaining and we would need to go 6-5 or 5-6 our remaining 11 games. I would be very shocked. You're expecting a miracle
Purdue would need to lose 3-4 more games.

I was unaware there was a rubric agreed upon that had numbers for various attributes. I figured numbers whatever those were was only partially the rating as the eye test had value as well. Still, I'm sure...without doubt that the award would mean a lot more to Trayce than Zach and that is something I would assume all would agree.

What I don't know...and perhaps you do, is I assume that the talk of National Player of the Year does NOT forget about the Big and those people that agree with that thought surmise that National Player of the Year is heavily influenced by teh conference since those data points and eye tests go into the NPOTY consideration. I guess I would be surprised that numbers...how many...what are they...how are they weighted ignore qualitative data as well. If I'm wrong so be it...not that important to me just that I didn't think there was a race at this time...
And isn't that there is an exact criteria. But no one cares about the games against cupcakes for the B1G POY or even games against Gonzaga or Kansas. Your games against B1G opponents will mean way more. And eye test even has TJD up there. He and Edey are just different players. Edey uses his size and TJD uses his athleticism and agility. Both are great, both are NPOY candidates along with about 20 others. But for some reason, even though TJD is putting up very similar numbers to Edey, Purdue can't get past the hate to see how good TJD is.

And isn't that there is an exact criteria. But no one cares about the games against cupcakes for the B1G POY or even games against Gonzaga or Kansas. Your games against B1G opponents will mean way more. And eye test even has TJD up there. He and Edey are just different players. Edey uses his size and TJD uses his athleticism and agility. Both are great, both are NPOY candidates along with about 20 others. But for some reason, even though TJD is putting up very similar numbers to Edey, Purdue can't get past the hate to see how good TJD is.
TJD is good, but most voters are going to look at season long averages first, as that is most commonly cited by just about everyone.

TJD is very good, but nobody is considering him at all for national player of the year...and who would consider someone national player of the year and not big player of the year. I don't think you are correct even if I do understand your reasoning. It isn't very important to me. I'm unaware of anyone thinking Trayce is not a good ball player and many stuck up for him when his critic came out on twitter. ACtually, it was mean trying to convice you that IU was better than you thought a couple of weeks ago and had Trayce went down...I might have agreed with you.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
But no one cares about the games against cupcakes for the B1G POY or even games against Gonzaga or Kansas. Your games against B1G opponents will mean way more.
See, I think I disagree with this statement. At the end of the day, if the two players stats are similar / indistinguishable from each other for the Big Ten season, they are going to look at the non-conference games against ranked competition as the tie-breaker. In Jackson's games against Kansas and Arizona, he was much closer to the 12-13 point / 5-6 rebound range (though he had a fantastic game against Xavier 30pts / 6 RB's), but in Edey's games against Gonzaga / Duke / WV / Marquette, he was averaging 21 pts and 12 RB's.

Well Edey did miss one game due to sickness and sat out over half the Minny game because it was a blow out!!

Reactions: tjreese
This thread is my favorite.

Your guy might not even finish second.

And let’s just say Vegas doesn’t agree with you, so you can win serious money with hardly any investment with that kind of knowledge if you really believe it.

The only question left is will Edey get 100% of the first place votes or not.

TJD is good, but most voters are going to look at season long averages first, as that is most commonly cited by just about everyone.
Yea it is for NPOY. Once we start getting down to the end, you'll start seeing the graphics for B1G numbers.

TJD is very good, but nobody is considering him at all for national player of the year...and who would consider someone national player of the year and not big player of the year. I don't think you are correct even if I do understand your reasoning. It isn't very important to me. I'm unaware of anyone thinking Trayce is not a good ball player and many stuck up for him when his critic came out on twitter. ACtually, it was mean trying to convice you that IU was better than you thought a couple of weeks ago and had Trayce went down...I might have agreed with you.
Well except he is considered a NPOY candidate. Doesn't mean he will win, he's just a candidate and probably top 10.

This thread is my favorite.

Your guy might not even finish second.

And let’s just say Vegas doesn’t agree with you, so you can win serious money with hardly any investment with that kind of knowledge if you really believe it.

The only question left is will Edey get 100% of the first place votes or not.
Again, it'll all depend on the records of the teams. If some crazy ish happens and Indiana only has 6 losses and Purdue ends with like 4, TJD could definitely grab some 1st place votes and win. Hard to say. But y'all act like Indiana is 5 games back in the standings. It's a 3.5 game difference right now. Indiana wins both games this week and Purdue loses 1, that's a 2.5 game difference. It's WAY closer than you want to believe. Things can change a lot in just a week, even with the B1G being so down.

Again, it'll all depend on the records of the teams. If some crazy ish happens and Indiana only has 6 losses and Purdue ends with like 4, TJD could definitely grab some 1st place votes and win. Hard to say. But y'all act like Indiana is 5 games back in the standings. It's a 3.5 game difference right now. Indiana wins both games this week and Purdue loses 1, that's a 2.5 game difference. It's WAY closer than you want to believe. Things can change a lot in just a week, even with the B1G being so down.
Saving this for when Indiana falls 5 games back...

Reactions: DenverBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT