ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Player of the Year- 2 Man Race

I have often said to be the best , you have to play against the best and beat the best. Edey has a chance to prove he’s the npoy with upcoming games against Michigan and Indiana!

I have confidence he knows this and will give his best effort with a statement game!

But basketball is a team game. When the team wins, the individual awards will follow! Winning should always be your focus and priority, not individual awards!

PU is averaging 64 ppg in 2023 against the bottom feeders of the BIG and unable to score or approach 80 while IU has scored 80 plus in 5 of 6 games in 2023 playing short handed.

IU scores 70 against PU and their chances of beating PU are 75% and 95% if they hit 80.

How is a team with a nearly unguardable within 3 feet NPOY candidate struggle to score so badly and is basically Badger South offensively?

I really want to see a full strength IU against PU in the BTT.
How can a supposed POTY candidate, who's been in school for 4 years, not hit a shot outside of 3 feet?

Reactions: Monk1014
PU is averaging 64 ppg in 2023 against the bottom feeders of the BIG and unable to score or approach 80 while IU has scored 80 plus in 5 of 6 games in 2023 playing short handed.

IU scores 70 against PU and their chances of beating PU are 75% and 95% if they hit 80.

How is a team with a nearly unguardable within 3 feet NPOY candidate struggle to score so badly and is basically Badger South offensively?

I really want to see a full strength IU against PU in the BTT.
Purdue's offense is ranked #4 in the nation for efficiency per Ken Pom. So yeah, Purdue REALLY struggles offensively. Let's cherry pick more numbers!

Reactions: Monk1014
I have often said to be the best , you have to play against the best and beat the best. Edey has a chance to prove he’s the npoy with upcoming games against Michigan and Indiana!

I have confidence he knows this and will give his best effort with a statement game!

But basketball is a team game. When the team wins, the individual awards will follow! Winning should always be your focus and priority, not individual awards!
I'm with you Wol!

Zach was pretty good against elite bigs in the conference last year, averaging 13 and 8 in 21 mpg versus IL, UM and IU. It will be interesting to see how he stacks up against TJD and HD head to head this year. I think Zach will fare very well, which will put these conversations to bed for good, but recognize that until that time there's room for fans to question whether his reality lives up to the hype.

Find it funny their board talking about Edey not being great or hasn't improved. TJD has been a 4 year starter and Zach most likely wins BPOY in 2 years as a starter. That fan base is hilarious

• Haha
Reactions: Roeder
The only reason iu is relevant is they get two chances to play Purdue. If they lose, no big deal, they were supposed to lose. House money. Nobody talks about them.

IU scored 63 against Wisconsin and 66 against Penn State. I think that’s more along the lines of what the score will be in this game. It’s gonna be a rock fight and whichever team shoots the best is gonna win.
Rock fights favor athletes over skill and so I hope the whistles work "some". ;) One of the things IU did last year that caused Purdue problems was physical D on the perimeter where they bodied up the offensive player and moved him away from the ball screens where they then went over the top. Purdue perimeter has been pushed out a bit "some" this year.

1) would like to see Fletcher and Braden move into the defender just a bit and once moving keep the pressure inward on the defender so he can't blow up the screen and draw attention if the defender is riding you since you should have freedom of movement and the defender is already moving with you. Too many players don't take up the distance between them and the defender or attack at shoulder width...most move away from the D and try to get around, but that straight line attack is no longer.

2) if they really overplay or even play a bit behind so a hedger can trap...split the D and head to the basket. Put the D on teh heels rather than letting the D move you out and of course the success is also due to the whistle.

3) I think Purdue needs another counter for Zack other than teh guards splitting the D or a slip since the hard hedges buy enough time the dive is not as effective.

4) Have we seen the high ball screen by Caleb when Zach is still on the court? Court is not as open inside, but is there enough room for a guard to get to a lob if help comes, get to the rim if Zach walls enough or has a 7 ' floater?

5) in handoffs by Zach there is nothing between him and the basket. at 15' he can dribble once an dunk it, but 5 more feet creates a problem with distance and time. could there be a cross screen for the 4 man to get the pass? Not sure what Zach can do, but would like to see Purdue punish the hard hedge which then changes the D in coverage timing wise and frees up the guards more to put pressure on the O

Course I would like to see growth in this area tomorrow...before IU since the Michigan game is huge...actually more important than IU because hypothetically they "could" be a challenge to Purdue as is Rutgers

The only reason iu is relevant is they get two chances to play Purdue. If they lose, no big deal, they were supposed to lose. House money. Nobody talks about them.
Don't you think it is kind of amazing that Purdue lost 5 out of their top 6 from last year and IU brought everyone back and added two 5 stars and most think Purdue is capable of winning two since Purdue was playing better than IU when Race and mr personality (x) were playing. I mean, how many thought that could happen?

That didn't work against Edey or Cofi last year. He usually struggles against really large bigs. He just can't bully those kind of players.
WE know the history, but every year is different. Hope nobody gets hurt with the fans so close to the out of bounds line. Even at Breslin there wasn't enough room for Zach to defend the triggerman and give him 3 ft to inbound the ball and so he moved Zach was moved back on last possession.

Reactions: Poprudy
Rock fights favor athletes over skill and so I hope the whistles work "some". ;) One of the things IU did last year that caused Purdue problems was physical D on the perimeter where they bodied up the offensive player and moved him away from the ball screens where they then went over the top. Purdue perimeter has been pushed out a bit "some" this year.

1) would like to see Fletcher and Braden move into the defender just a bit and once moving keep the pressure inward on the defender so he can't blow up the screen and draw attention if the defender is riding you since you should have freedom of movement and the defender is already moving with you. Too many players don't take up the distance between them and the defender or attack at shoulder width...most move away from the D and try to get around, but that straight line attack is no longer.

2) if they really overplay or even play a bit behind so a hedger can trap...split the D and head to the basket. Put the D on teh heels rather than letting the D move you out and of course the success is also due to the whistle.

3) I think Purdue needs another counter for Zack other than teh guards splitting the D or a slip since the hard hedges buy enough time the dive is not as effective.

4) Have we seen the high ball screen by Caleb when Zach is still on the court? Court is not as open inside, but is there enough room for a guard to get to a lob if help comes, get to the rim if Zach walls enough or has a 7 ' floater?

5) in handoffs by Zach there is nothing between him and the basket. at 15' he can dribble once an dunk it, but 5 more feet creates a problem with distance and time. could there be a cross screen for the 4 man to get the pass? Not sure what Zach can do, but would like to see Purdue punish the hard hedge which then changes the D in coverage timing wise and frees up the guards more to put pressure on the O

Course I would like to see growth in this area tomorrow...before IU since the Michigan game is huge...actually more important than IU because hypothetically they "could" be a challenge to Purdue as is Rutgers
They will be physical with our guards and try to deny the entry feed. They will also try to run Edey through PnR action on offense.

I truly think the bugs will cancel each other out and the shooters will decide this game. IU just had a great shooting game so I’m sure they are confident. We need Gillis, Newman and Jenkins to be on for this game.

IU loves to beat top 5 teams in the hall. We need to deny their wishes and beat them at their own game.

Reactions: tjreese
They will be physical with our guards and try to deny the entry feed. They will also try to run Edey through PnR action on offense.

I truly think the bugs will cancel each other out and the shooters will decide this game. IU just had a great shooting game so I’m sure they are confident. We need Gillis, Newman and Jenkins to be on for this game.

IU loves to beat top 5 teams in the hall. We need to deny their wishes and beat them at their own game.
shooters have MANY times decided the game...and sometimes it was just the IU coach which was almost the case last year when TRevion short armed it wide open under the basket. My point about the guards is the battle of wills encouraging IU's contact and drawing attention to it...don't go wide and make it easy for them...just a battle of human nature to move away from the D. Once they are moving and you are not perpendicular to them with contact, but selling the physical contact it will back off if the ref calls fouls. If not, then you have a problem.

Whatever Purdue does in the next few games I hope to see more counters when a team hedges hard and then the D must decide how they are going to handle the dribbler or person going to get the handoff. Still Michigan is teh next game and the most important right now. Win that and things are looking pretty good for the Boilers winning Sunday in what may be enough for the Big Championship with soldid play the rest of the season...

shooters have MANY times decided the game...and sometimes it was just the IU coach which was almost the case last year when TRevion short armed it wide open under the basket. My point about the guards is the battle of wills encouraging IU's contact and drawing attention to it...don't go wide and make it easy for them...just a battle of human nature to move away from the D. Once they are moving and you are not perpendicular to them with contact, but selling the physical contact it will back off if the ref calls fouls. If not, then you have a problem.

Whatever Purdue does in the next few games I hope to see more counters when a team hedges hard and then the D must decide how they are going to handle the dribbler or person going to get the handoff. Still Michigan is teh next game and the most important right now. Win that and things are looking pretty good for the Boilers winning Sunday in what may be enough for the Big Championship with soldid play the rest of the season...
I agree about the contact but then again these are freshmen and that environment is going to be as loud as it has been in a long, long time. Will they be able overcome that and if they do, putting JHS on the bench with fouls would be great for us.

Yes, win at Michigan and then at home Sunday and we build ourselves a lead that will be tough to beat. That IU game however is building up to be a classic.

Reactions: tjreese
That didn't work against Edey or Cofi last year. He usually struggles against really large bigs. He just can't bully those kind of players.
And Kofi isn't around anymore. He seemed to figure out in the B1G tourney how to go up against Kofi and Dickinson. Biggest difference from last year, Indiana is 19th in the nation in 3pt% as of right now, so they are hitting shots and teams are starting to notice.

And Kofi isn't around anymore. He seemed to figure out in the B1G tourney how to go up against Kofi and Dickinson. Biggest difference from last year, Indiana is 19th in the nation in 3pt% as of right now, so they are hitting shots and teams are starting to notice.
Did you mean to say he didn't figure Kofi out in the B1G tourney? Kofi had 23-10 in 33 minutes in the B1G tournament vs 17-8 in the regular season matchup. As for 3pt% we are shooting 5 more attempts a game at 33% vs your 38% and we are making 7.1 vs your 6.6. I wouldn't call your team a great 3pt% team infact out of the top 26 you guys have the least amount made and attempted. Also our 3pt defense is top 20 at 29% vs IU #241 at 34.4%.

Last yr totals were 43 minutes, 19 pts and 7rebounds for TJD vs Zach 46 minutes 23pt and 19rebounds TJD struggles against large big men and against both Kofi and Zach got into foul trouble. Lucky for TJD he doesn't have to play those big guys every night. I'm not saying that he isn't good.

Last edited:
Did you mean to say he didn't figure Kofi out in the B1G tourney? Kofi had 23-10 in 33 minutes in the B1G tournament vs 17-8 in the regular season matchup. As for 3pt% we are shooting 5 more attempts a game at 33% vs your 38% and we are making 7.1 vs your 6.6. I wouldn't call your team a great 3pt% team infact out of the top 26 you guys have the least amount made and attempted. Also our 3pt defense is top 20 at 29% vs IU #241 at 34.4%.

Last yr totals were 43 minutes, 19 pts and 7rebounds for TJD vs Zach 46 minutes 23pt and 19rebounds TJD struggles against large big men and against both Kofi and Zach got into foul trouble. Lucky for TJD he doesn't have to play those big guys every night. I'm not saying that he isn't good.
We don't shoot a lot... But we were(before the Minny game) 19th in the nation compared to Purdue at 240th in 3pt%. You're mistaking quantity with percentage.

We don't shoot a lot... But we were(before the Minny game) 19th in the nation compared to Purdue at 240th in 3pt%. You're mistaking quantity with percentage.

26th before the Minny game. Quit skewing numbers. I'll give you efficient, but not necessarily effective. As you can see you had the lowest amount of attempts and shots in the top 26. So, you weren't shooting a lot before the Minny game. We've out shot you in this category and we are at #240, but we haven't been as efficient.

Percentages in basketball don't always equate to being a good shooter vs how effective you are. Many players don't shoot while on the court, because their shooting isn't effective. Using a player like Morton on our roster shows his effectiveness vs percentage. This is why most shooters aren't consistent and percentages change from year to year.

Last edited:

26th before the Minny game. Quit skewing numbers. I'll give you efficient, but not necessarily effective. As you can see you had the lowest amount of attempts and shots in the top 26. So, you weren't shooting a lot before the Minny game. We've out shot you in this category and we are at #240, but we haven't been as efficient.

Percentages in basketball don't always equate to being a good shooter vs how effective you are. Many players don't shoot while on the court, because their shooting isn't effective. Using a player like Morton on our roster shows his effectiveness vs percentage. This is why most shooters aren't consistent and percentages change from year to year.
Wasn't anything. They were 19th. Feel to 28th.

Some may say our three point shooting is not very great this year. I say those are not really 3 point shots but rather passes to Edey that use the rim to bounce off. Sometimes their passes miss the rim and go through the hoops.

I agree about the contact but then again these are freshmen and that environment is going to be as loud as it has been in a long, long time. Will they be able overcome that and if they do, putting JHS on the bench with fouls would be great for us.

Yes, win at Michigan and then at home Sunday and we build ourselves a lead that will be tough to beat. That IU game however is building up to be a classic.
IU was one call away from getting beat by Minny without MInny having its two inside players with kids that have probably never played that many minutes ever at Minny (what kind of shape were they in?) That call is different and the either missed blockout on the FT line or the push in the back by TJD doesn't happen. No video to see if it was missed blockout (why in college would this ever happen?) or push in back (Grady Eifert with Virginia)

Minny 2-3 and 3-2 matchup and the shift to 3-2 hurt MInny with a Koch baseline shot. None of this is to say that Minny wins if the two bigs play, because IU is probably more focused. Whether JHS goes to the bench or not any fouls called due to physical contact is a plus for Purdue as it allows the youngsters to use skills rather than a physically less mature body not to mention "timing" is less affected. Koch is a threat behind the arc...Galloway and Bates threats, but less of a threat. Purdue has Fletcher, Braden and Brandon...and Jenkins who had only one game where he went 3/3 that could be a threat historically but hasn't shown the ability at Purdue so far...need the Sterling Carter game someday. ;)

Be interesting how Trey plays down at IU closer to home? Mason is capable of knocking down some threes and ot a lesser extent...Caleb as well. Yes it will be loud down at the Hall of Calls with students probably camping out right now to get tickets. ;) Who would have thought Purdue would be in this position being so young and losing so many players with IU adding two and bringing the rest bck essentially.

IU was one call away from getting beat by Minny without MInny having its two inside players with kids that have probably never played that many minutes ever at Minny (what kind of shape were they in?) That call is different and the either missed blockout on the FT line or the push in the back by TJD doesn't happen. No video to see if it was missed blockout (why in college would this ever happen?) or push in back (Grady Eifert with Virginia)

Minny 2-3 and 3-2 matchup and the shift to 3-2 hurt MInny with a Koch baseline shot. None of this is to say that Minny wins if the two bigs play, because IU is probably more focused. Whether JHS goes to the bench or not any fouls called due to physical contact is a plus for Purdue as it allows the youngsters to use skills rather than a physically less mature body not to mention "timing" is less affected. Koch is a threat behind the arc...Galloway and Bates threats, but less of a threat. Purdue has Fletcher, Braden and Brandon...and Jenkins who had only one game where he went 3/3 that could be a threat historically but hasn't shown the ability at Purdue so far...need the Sterling Carter game someday. ;)

Be interesting how Trey plays down at IU closer to home? Mason is capable of knocking down some threes and ot a lesser extent...Caleb as well. Yes it will be loud down at the Hall of Calls with students probably camping out right now to get tickets. ;) Who would have thought Purdue would be in this position being so young and losing so many players with IU adding two and bringing the rest bck essentially.
Minny was the perfect example of its not who you play, but when you play them...Being an IU fan, i dont feel sorry for them as we been without two starters ourselves. Road wins in the BIG just arent that easy to get, but the Indiana team i seen last night, just left another bad taste in my mouth. After some convincing wins and hard play, they just decided to play down to the competition again, instead of just stepping on their throats and move on. The FT that TJD saved us on, came off the front rim so hard i believe the guy just missed it. No push needed for sure.

Minny was the perfect example of its not who you play, but when you play them...Being an IU fan, i dont feel sorry for them as we been without two starters ourselves. Road wins in the BIG just arent that easy to get, but the Indiana team i seen last night, just left another bad taste in my mouth. After some convincing wins and hard play, they just decided to play down to the competition again, instead of just stepping on their throats and move on. The FT that TJD saved us on, came off the front rim so hard i believe the guy just missed it. No push needed for sure.
It’s funny that your fellow IU fan in this thread has downplayed our road wins because they came from the bottom half of the league but now,, you say road wins are tough.

For the record, Purdue has road wins at OSU, PSU, MSU, Minn and Nebraska. That’s an impressive schedule no matter how hard others try to downplay it.

When a player has inside position...especially the last few years where the players moved back a poistion on the line, the probability of getting a rebound by the defensive team is greater than years before due to the extra room in front of the players that never existed years ago since the players are back a spot. When the defense doesn't get the rebound with the extra space and opportunity for more rebounds in front of them they either didn't block out (stepping forward many times) or were pushed in the back. I do NOT know what happened there. Grady was pushed in teh back in the Virginia game by the 5s body that ended up tipping the ball back. That extra space was negated due to the push.

I believe the Minny player stepped forward which is totally unacceptable and yet something I saw Trevion Williams do more than once.

What seems to be obvious and yet a little harsh was the letter to Trayce in that recently he played better. He is an incredible athlete that I wished would have listened more to his dad than mom and he would have played that well all the time for Purdue...or wouldn't play...just like he wouldn't under Knight years ago. I can just see Bobby making faces and using his arms with comments towards TJD.

It’s funny that your fellow IU fan in this thread has downplayed our road wins because they came from the bottom half of the league but now,, you say road wins are tough.

For the record, Purdue has road wins at OSU, PSU, MSU, Minn and Nebraska. That’s an impressive schedule no matter how hard others try to downplay it.
ROAD wins are flat out tough in this league!!! Purdue only easy win of those was at Minny, where they just literally put the game away first 10 minutes. Indiana needed that kind of game last night.

Reactions: Poprudy
When a player has inside position...especially the last few years where the players moved back a poistion on the line, the probability of getting a rebound by the defensive team is greater than years before due to the extra room in front of the players that never existed years ago since the players are back a spot. When the defense doesn't get the rebound with the extra space and opportunity for more rebounds in front of them they either didn't block out (stepping forward many times) or were pushed in the back. I do NOT know what happened there. Grady was pushed in teh back in the Virginia game by the 5s body that ended up tipping the ball back. That extra space was negated due to the push.

I believe the Minny player stepped forward which is totally unacceptable and yet something I saw Trevion Williams do more than once.

What seems to be obvious and yet a little harsh was the letter to Trayce in that recently he played better. He is an incredible athlete that I wished would have listened more to his dad than mom and he would have played that well all the time for Purdue...or wouldn't play...just like he wouldn't under Knight years ago. I can just see Bobby making faces and using his arms with comments towards TJD.
TJD was going to play anywhere he went. He is only limited with ability to hit an outside shot, but his quickness and athletic ability allow him to score at will. Edey is limited also outside the lane, and not sure i have seen him hit anything further than a free throw???
TJD is the only player keeping Indiana season alive right now, and what a four game stat stuffer he has been, but Edey is the player of the year right now in the BIG and probably the country, and 9/10 Indiana fans would say the same.

TJD was going to play anywhere he went. He is only limited with ability to hit an outside shot, but his quickness and athletic ability allow him to score at will. Edey is limited also outside the lane, and not sure i have seen him hit anything further than a free throw???
TJD is the only player keeping Indiana season alive right now, and what a four game stat stuffer he has been, but Edey is the player of the year right now in the BIG and probably the country, and 9/10 Indiana fans would say the same.
yes I think TJD could have been this good a few years ago. He has improved some in other areas, but basically it is his quick twitch muscle and vertical is who he is...and was. Same could be said about the player MSU got a few years ago that left and went to the pros...he wasn't that good of a college player. Jaden is similar...his college play didn't cause him to be drafted so high...it was his athletic ability with his youth tht spelled potential

Just looking at a common opponent for some comparison so I chose Rutgers as they are the best team we have both played.

TJD 13 points on 11 shots.
Edey 19 points on 10 shots.

Another common opponent @ Minnesota.
TJD 25 points on 19 shots
Edey 12 points on 9 shots.

Another common opponent @ Penn State
TJD 14 points on 10 shots
Edey 30 points on 21 shots

Another common opponent MSU
TJD 31 points on 20 shots
Edey 32 points on 26 shots

And I'll continue downplaying them because the #1 team in the country should beat the bottom of the conference no matter what. And the Minny game was an absolute embarrassing game from a focus standpoint, coaching standing, effort standpoint. Lucky to have gotten the win. There refs I'm pretty sure came off the streets and had never watched basketball before, but it shouldn't have been close enough to matter.

Reactions: Middawg
Just looking at a common opponent for some comparison so I chose Rutgers as they are the best team we have both played.

So what you're saying is.... Fairly equal... But remember, TJD sucks.

Edey- 93 points on 66 shots
TJD- 83 points on 60 shots

And I'll continue downplaying them because the #1 team in the country should beat the bottom of the conference no matter what. And the Minny game was an absolute embarrassing game from a focus standpoint, coaching standing, effort standpoint. Lucky to have gotten the win. There refs I'm pretty sure came off the streets and had never watched basketball before, but it shouldn't have been close enough to matter.
Go back to 1987 and see how Indiana did on the road against bottom dwellers at the time. I know they stuggled against Wisconsin and Northwestern the same.

Both are pretty efficient and good. The difference maker is winning the B1G. IMO

And you forgot home games vs Nebraska for each.

Edey- 12 on 7
TJD- 12 on 6

Puts total at 105 on 73 shots for Edey and 95 points on 66 shots for TJD.

So what you're saying is.... Fairly equal... But remember, TJD sucks.

Edey- 93 points on 66 shots
TJD- 83 points on 60 shots
Who has said TJD sucks? Nobody has.

The problem you have is that Edey has been producing since the first game and gained a sizable lead in the NPY race during the trip to Portland. The entire nation saw those performances and Edey hasn’t let up since. I suppose it could happen but I highly doubt that the Bigten votes the POY someone other than the NPOY if he comes from inside the league. TJD has a high hill to climb to make up ths gap Edey created during the first two months of the season.

And that's a disappointment. I don't care what era it was.
Go back to 1987 and see how Indiana did on the road against bottom dwellers at the time. I know they stuggled against Wisconsin and Northwestern the same.

Who has said TJD sucks? Nobody has.

The problem you have is that Edey has been producing since the first game and gained a sizable lead in the NPY race during the trip to Portland. The entire nation saw those performances and Edey hasn’t let up since. I suppose it could happen but I highly doubt that the Bigten votes the POY someone other than the NPOY if he comes from inside the league. TJD has a high hill to climb to make up ths gap Edey created during the first two months of the season.
This entire board constantly talks about how TJD isn't any good. Which makes no sense considering how close he and Edeys numbers are. And I've said, TJDs chances will come down to winning down the stretch of the season and continuing to dominate opponents like he has been. There hasn't been a better player in the nation than TJD over his last 4 games. Not a single one, that includes Edey over his last 4.

I watched some of the IU at Minnesota game last night and it confirmed what I've thought of TJD for four years, he's an outstanding athlete and an excellent player who plays losing basketball. Shitty body language, gets visibly upset with teammates when he doesn't get the ball, dishes out a few assists but doesn't really make those around him better. It would have been interesting to see him play for Knight or Painter, I expect that he would have been a much different / better player.

Reactions: Poprudy and tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT