ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Player of the Year- 2 Man Race

TJD and Edeys numbers on the season aren't even far off. It just comes down to winning. Edey, TJD, Oscar and some others will be in NPOY talks most of the season.
My Everest aka Edey changes the way basketball is played for the inside game no one else does

PU is averaging 64 ppg in 2023 against the bottom feeders of the BIG and unable to score or approach 80 while IU has scored 80 plus in 5 of 6 games in 2023 playing short handed.

IU scores 70 against PU and their chances of beating PU are 75% and 95% if they hit 80.

How is a team with a nearly unguardable within 3 feet NPOY candidate struggle to score so badly and is basically Badger South offensively?

I really want to see a full strength IU against PU in the BTT.
IU is short-handed? Even with a player out, they are still putting a much more talented team on the floor than Purdue is, based on national rankings. Nice try.

Reactions: Poprudy
ok. many members of this board have a poor memory.
while the entire board has not said Trayce and IU suk, there are many threads that involve posters here that have said both.
All you have to do is read a thread about IU, and you will see many posters saying IU suks.
This post shows a complete lack of logical thought process.

If someone says "Woebegone suks!", does that equate to saying "Purdue suks"?

IU is short-handed? Even with a player out, they are still putting a much more talented team on the floor than Purdue is, based on national rankings. Nice try.
We essentially replaced our starting lineup, predicted to be middle of the pack and have out performed IU's returning players with their additional 5*'s. IU did not perform well vs. Top tier opponents and want to blame injuries.🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: Abugabby
I think one thing to consider is that IU plays at a much higher pace than Purdue does. Per 100 possessions, Edey is at 42 and 26, while TJD is at 35 and 19. Defensively, before the season, I would have said TJD was much better, but Edey has proven to be one of the best rim protectors in years of college basketball by looking at how rarely Purdue opponents try to take the ball to the rim (#1 in country). I'd still take TJD there as he's a lot more versatile, but on an average night, Edey has actually been a good defender this season. But this isn't even a question right now when one guy is on a #1 team that had no preseason expectations and the other team has been a disappointment to this point in the season.

There are still 10 games to go that could change this, but IU being ranked preseason every year for having so much talent then floundering and using the lack of talent card really is something. How many 5 star underclassmen, POY candidates, and 5/6th year seniors do they need to admit to having some talent? Also can't forget the talk about all the talk of how Duncomb dominated Furst in one AAU and would be the better player but has 0 points in Big Ten play in 2 years.

Reactions: Poprudy
I think one thing to consider is that IU plays at a much higher pace than Purdue does. Per 100 possessions, Edey is at 42 and 26, while TJD is at 35 and 19. Defensively, before the season, I would have said TJD was much better, but Edey has proven to be one of the best rim protectors in years of college basketball by looking at how rarely Purdue opponents try to take the ball to the rim (#1 in country). I'd still take TJD there as he's a lot more versatile, but on an average night, Edey has actually been a good defender this season. But this isn't even a question right now when one guy is on a #1 team that had no preseason expectations and the other team has been a disappointment to this point in the season.

There are still 10 games to go that could change this, but IU being ranked preseason every year for having so much talent then floundering and using the lack of talent card really is something. How many 5 star underclassmen, POY candidates, and 5/6th year seniors do they need to admit to having some talent? Also can't forget the talk about all the talk of how Duncomb dominated Furst in one AAU and would be the better player but has 0 points in Big Ten play in 2 years.
The narrative that Indiana is ranked every year is the weirdest thing ever... Because this was the first time since 2016-2017 they've been ranked in the AP preseason polls. Before that, 16-17 ranked to begin the year, team fell apart and Crean was fired. Year before that they were ranked to begin the year and won the Big Ten. Wasn't ranked preseason the two years prior in 14-15 and 13-14. 12-13 preseason ranked #1 and won the B1G. 2011-2012, 2010-2011, 2009-2010, 2008-2009 they weren't ranked in the preseason. Ranked in the preseason of the 2007-2008 season and the Sampson stuff happened. Wasn't ranked preseason in 2006-2007 season. Ranked preseason in 2005-2006. Unranked preseason in 2004-2005 and 2003-2004 seasons.

So that's the past 20 seasons... Preseason ranked in 6 of 20 seasons. So where does the narrative they are always ranked come from?

They've been claiming all year that their freshman class is better than ours. According to 247 we have the 3rd best "most impactful" class this year. IU's out of the top 10. Our future looks pretty bright right now.

This post shows a complete lack of logical thought process.

If someone says "Woebegone suks!", does that equate to saying "Purdue suks"?
No but it shows a total lack of maturity on your part! I thought this board was composed of college graduates!

The narrative that Indiana is ranked every year is the weirdest thing ever... Because this was the first time since 2016-2017 they've been ranked in the AP preseason polls. Before that, 16-17 ranked to begin the year, team fell apart and Crean was fired. Year before that they were ranked to begin the year and won the Big Ten. Wasn't ranked preseason the two years prior in 14-15 and 13-14. 12-13 preseason ranked #1 and won the B1G. 2011-2012, 2010-2011, 2009-2010, 2008-2009 they weren't ranked in the preseason. Ranked in the preseason of the 2007-2008 season and the Sampson stuff happened. Wasn't ranked preseason in 2006-2007 season. Ranked preseason in 2005-2006. Unranked preseason in 2004-2005 and 2003-2004 seasons.

So that's the past 20 seasons... Preseason ranked in 6 of 20 seasons. So where does the narrative they are always ranked come from?
I stand corrected then, I would have assumed they were ranked preseason 18-19 when I was told Morgan or Langford would run away with Big Ten Player of the Year, since Purdue wouldn't win enough games for Carsen to do so. They have been touted by some as title contenders 3 times since 2017 in the preseason only to miss the tournament twice (and we'll see what happens this year).

I'm personally not old enough to remember anything pre-2016, but by the same token, where is the narrative that IU is a blue blood coming from then? They haven't won a (real) tournament game in 7 years, and kids who were old enough to remember them going to an Elite 8 graduated from college 10 years ago.

I stand corrected then, I would have assumed they were ranked preseason 18-19 when I was told Morgan or Langford would run away with Big Ten Player of the Year, since Purdue wouldn't win enough games for Carsen to do so. They have been touted by some as title contenders 3 times since 2017 in the preseason only to miss the tournament twice (and we'll see what happens this year).

I'm personally not old enough to remember anything pre-2016, but by the same token, where is the narrative that IU is a blue blood coming from then? They haven't won a (real) tournament game in 7 years, and kids who were old enough to remember them going to an Elite 8 graduated from college 10 years ago.
They are a blue blood due to history.

No it's still "are." History doesn't go away. Indiana, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina and UCLA... Great history and trailblazers of college basketball. I put Duke in the Duke category, which isn't below the Blue Blood category they are just different than those 4. UConn probably has it's own weird category as well.

Well I didn't graduate from college 10 years ago, HS yes. I was 8 when Indiana made their Final Four run in 2002. It was amazing. I think it'd be good for Purdue fans. Y'all have a lot of built up hate. Hard for y'all to appreciate the entire college basketball landscape.

No it's still "are." History doesn't go away. Indiana, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina and UCLA... Great history and trailblazers of college basketball. I put Duke in the Duke category, which isn't below the Blue Blood category they are just different than those 4. UConn probably has it's own weird category as well.
I disagree - IU has been living in the past banners for quite some time now and haven’t been relevant in the Big or Nationally. If IU was still a Blue Blood as you proclaim why the tough time finding a great coach? You would think it would be super easy to fill the position

IU is right there with the other dusty bloods, like Oklahoma A&M, Cincinnati, San Francisco, NC State, etc.

AKA - owners of multiple banners that are only remembered by denizens of old folks homes at this point.

Son I'm gonna say this one time. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, outside of indinia fandom considers them a blue blood. NOBODY. No matter how much you want it to be so. And the fact that you think they are anywhere near Duke (who believe you me I also despise) is insane. Status changes. Is Army a blue blood in football? Louisiana Tech and Immaculata in women's bb? No further discussion of this will be countenanced on this board. Take your nonsense elsewhere.

Well I didn't graduate from college 10 years ago, HS yes. I was 8 when Indiana made their Final Four run in 2002. It was amazing. I think it'd be good for Purdue fans. Y'all have a lot of built up hate. Hard for y'all to appreciate the entire college basketball landscape.
Personally, I wouldn't say hate just an annoyance to see so much media hype for seemingly no reason, while Purdue has actually been producing results. Since I began watching Purdue, the worst Purdue team was better than the best Indiana team, and Indiana hasn't had a winning record in conference. So they haven't been on the landscape since I started watching, but I can acknowledge that there is a reason behind the media hype for people over 40. More hatable teams would be Michigan State or Michigan.

Last edited:
If we can make up our own definition for blue bloods and "other" categories, then I include IU in an "other" category. IU has set a record for Div. 1 schools who have recruited Blue Blood talent and not qualified for the NCAA tournament.

Let’s just say before the game, Dickinson was included in the conversation. But after Edey’s statement game, he left no doubt who the better player was and is.

As I look to the future, I respect Trayce enough to at least include him in the conversation! However, I expect both Edey and Purdue will have something to prove and to show!

Michigan badly needed this win and it was at their house. Edey had a statement game!
There is no conversation at this point. If IU sweeps Purdue and comes close to a Bunch g Ten championship while TJD outplays Zach head to head there’s a conversation to be had. At this point is purely hypothetical because if the race ended today there would be zero debate.

No it's still "are." History doesn't go away. Indiana, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina and UCLA... Great history and trailblazers of college basketball. I put Duke in the Duke category, which isn't below the Blue Blood category they are just different than those 4. UConn probably has its own weird category as well.
University of Chicago football.

IU hoops is a blue blood just like University of Minnesota Football, which also has 5 natties that no one outside the old folks’ homes remember.

So, congrats ?
Well sure. But Minnesota football isn't the brand that Indiana basketball is. Now is it?

No one considers IU a Blue Blood nowadays. And as long as Matt Painter is at Purdue there's no going back to it.

The only place IU is a blue blood is in the state of Indiana. I have moved quite a bit in my life (57 years old) and I can tell you first hand IU basketball isn't a thing anywhere but in Indiana. 2 of the states I've lived in are Iowa and Illinois. Even in B1G states, they aren't considered anything special. The only thing people talk about IU basketball is Bob Knight and we know how distant that is. We now spend the winters in Florida. Nobody here ever talks about IU hoops. Duke, Kansas, UNC those are blue bloods. IU isn't even in the same universe as those schools.

Reactions: punaj
Well sure. But Minnesota football isn't the brand that Indiana basketball is. Now is it?
Based on this and some past posts, I am guessing you are very young, have a paid subscription to the Indy Star, and have rarely been outside of the state of Indiana. Do you really believe that even in states as close as Illinois, Ohio, and Michigan, that people think of Indiana basketball as a "brand"?

The only place IU is a blue blood is in the state of Indiana. I have moved quite a bit in my life (57 years old) and I can tell you first hand IU basketball isn't a thing anywhere but in Indiana. 2 of the states I've lived in are Iowa and Illinois. Even in B1G states, they aren't considered anything special. The only thing people talk about IU basketball is Bob Knight and we know how distant that is. We now spend the winters in Florida. Nobody here ever talks about IU hoops. Duke, Kansas, UNC those are blue bloods. IU isn't even in the same universe as those schools.
I rarely hear anyone talk about ucla as a blue blood and they have way more of a claim than Indiana has.

I’m sure it is to Minnesota fans, just like IU hoops is to IU fans in Indiana.

And the “brand” that Nebraska football is to Nebraska fans… who keep firing coaches that don’t live up to Coach Osborne’s standards…. Sound familiar?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT