ADVERTISEMENT

Best Available Transfers

nagemj02

All-American
Mar 16, 2010
PF/C Sacha Killeya-Jones (Kentucky)
PF/C James Banks (Texas)
PG Joseph Chartouny (Fordham)

These are a few of them thus far. Who are some of the others? Next season's team has room for up to two transfers.

PF/C Sacha Killeya-Jones (Kentucky) has a lot of talent. I'm not sure he would be a great fit for Purdue especially if he's forced to play man-to-man defense, a structured offense, and if he doesn't start and receive his 25-30 minutes and 10-15 touches. I am concerned about talented players who don't succeed in talented programs, and then declare their desire to transfer. if he came to Purdue it would not be with the intention of being a mentor or coming off the bench.

I liked Spike and many of the other grad transfers that have come to Purdue. Rather than coming here to showcase their talents to the NBA, they came to be part of a team.

I read a very alarming article today about the Alabama QB. his dad went public and said if his son isn't starting next fall, he will become the highest sought after college FA QB.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
How do you know that Killeya-Jones is or would demand 25-30 minutes and 10-15 touches a game?

How do you know that Killeya-Jones is or would demand 25-30 minutes and 10-15 touches a game?

I don't.

He announced his plans to transfer the exact same day UK received a commitment from a 5* high school player at his position. I believe that's more than a coincidence. he was a 4/5 * player coming out of high school, and it hasn't worked out at UK, and now he sees his replacement. Do you believe he'd be happy as a back-up to Haarms? Do you believe the type of player UK recruits and style of basketball they play would prove to be a successful fit at Purdue?

A huge consideration would be could he come in and immediately play/start for Purdue? or would he have to sit out a year? that would make a huge difference if he could play in 2018 verses waiting until 2019.

When I look at transfers, I believe consideration should be given to their talent level, but more consideration should be given to can their game fit Purdue's style. Because with most transfers, you do not have the luxury of redshirting and giving them a year to adjust and learn our system.

that's why I say, sometimes when adding a transfer, the best choice is the one who would fill a role and can adjust to the existing system, rather than the most talented athlete. PF/C Sacha Killeya-Jones (Kentucky) definitely has the talent.

I'd love Painter to be able to attract a 5* elite athletic center as a transfer. But Painter has proven what he can do with less talented players.

CMP has been active with in home visits and since Boudreaux committed.....I do not think has been active in the transfer market lately.

Not sure he is going to?

Anyone hear about CMP inquiring in April into any transfers?

I'm not sure if he is but I see no harm in listing or discussing possible prospects. If it turns out that he's still recruiting for 2018, this will be appropriate discussion.

After thinking about it, I am not sold we need a grad transfer. I think it would be beneficial in some ways, but I think just getting all the PT we can for Carsen, Eastern and Sasha will be better in the long run.

SKJ cut his list a couple days ago and Purdue wasn't on it. Chartouny committed to Marquette.

Thanks for the updates.

If next season's team is going to contend in the B1G and make the Big Dance, they'll need two other double-digit scorers to help out Carsen Edwards. It could be Matt Haarms, Eric Hunter, Trevion Williams, or an incoming transfer.

I don't forsee Nojel Eastern averaging in double-figures unless his jump-shooting really improves. I also don't see Ryan Cline being a double-digit scorer due to being one-dimensional on offense. Aaron Wheeler is a wildcard to me. He could have an Eastern type season in terms of PPG or he could be a near double-digit scorer.

Reactions: purduepat1969
After thinking about it, I am not sold we need a grad transfer. I think it would be beneficial in some ways, but I think just getting all the PT we can for Carsen, Eastern and Sasha will be better in the long run.

Why long run. Carsen will play all the minutes he can possibly play regardless. And odd are >50% he's fine after this year. I'd rather optimise this year add much as we can. Competition is good, is Sasha deserves minutes he'll get them. Not a fan of minute welfare

Why long run. Carsen will play all the minutes he can possibly play regardless. And odd are >50% he's fine after this year. I'd rather optimise this year add much as we can. Competition is good, is Sasha deserves minutes he'll get them. Not a fan of minute welfare

I meant Hunter instead of Carsen... oops.

I do appreciate Naj’s comments, I’m just extremely surprised that it took him this long to get this thread posted this off-season....

I'm just disenchanted with the program under Painter's watch but I still love the program itself, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
I'm just disenchanted with the program under Painter's watch but I still love the program itself, if that makes sense.
That's unfortunate. This last year was a very fun year to watch Purdue. If you can't enjoy a 30-win season, with very likable players doing it the right way with one of the nations top offenses, then I really don't know what to tell ya.

That's unfortunate. This last year was a very fun year to watch Purdue. If you can't enjoy a 30-win season, with very likable players doing it the right way with one of the nations top offenses, then I really don't know what to tell ya.
I liken it to buying a huge, beautiful tv with all the bells and whistles. You love it. You’re proud it. You get to watch basketball games the whole season where you feel like you’re almost there. It’s fun! When you entertain people give it compliments and tell you that you finally have a great tv after 38 years. When the tournament comes, you are jacked! Sadly...and predictably...it just stops working after the second round. Every damn tv you buy just quits working in the NCAA Tournament. EVERY DAMN YEAR!!! It must just be terribly bad luck. :(

I liken it to buying a huge, beautiful tv with all the bells and whistles. You love it. You’re proud it. You get to watch basketball games the whole season where you feel like you’re almost there. It’s fun! When you entertain people give it compliments and tell you that you finally have a great tv after 38 years. When the tournament comes, you are jacked! Sadly...and predictably...it just stops working after the second round. Every damn tv you buy just quits working in the NCAA Tournament. EVERY DAMN YEAR!!! It must just be terribly bad luck. :(
It's too bad you couldn't get one of the eight TVs in the country that were still working, especially after someone knocked the set over and cracked it.

The wins were enjoyable. I just never thought the team was quite as good as they were hyped up as being. They didn't win the World University Games, they didn't win the Battle 4 Atlantis, they didn't win the B1G regular season or tournament title, and they didn't win their region in the NCAA Tournament. Their highlights were having an 18 (or 19) game winning streak and beating Butler twice.

Reactions: purduepat1969
The wins were enjoyable. I just never thought the team was quite as good as they were hyped up as being. They didn't win the World University Games, they didn't win the Battle 4 Atlantis, they didn't win the B1G regular season or tournament title, and they didn't win their region in the NCAA Tournament. Their highlights were having an 18 (or 19) game winning streak and beating Butler twice.
My highlights were spending more than thirty times with my Dad (age 89), my kids and my grandkids watching a group of really good guys play their hearts out (at least most of the time), win more than anyone expected them to, play great team ball (a good thing for the g'kids to see and a blessing for my Dad to watch), and discover some awesome new dips for chips.

Two years ago, I would have felt sorry for you missing all the highlights except the two Butler games, but I've gotten to realize that you are never going to be happy until we win under a different coach... and I don't even feel sorry for you anymore.

It was a fun season. It was just disappointing that Haas wasn’t able to finish his Senior season.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Purdue is like a roller coaster or going to Disney World. Some people will love it every time they ride it. But for others, after riding that same roller coaster, or going to Disney World for the 40th time, it gets old and less satisfying. how many times do you watch Star Wars before you decide it's no longer as fun as it once was and you start pointing out the flaws in the plot? Why does the death star have a weakness? With all their intelligence, why would it have a weakness?

Painter knows how to build a championship. Painter knows that winning NCAA championships is based primarily on guard play. So why does he continually build teams featuring a big man? only to lose to some young rebel team with a long range light saber?

Disney World is the greatest place on Earth. But i know many people who are tired of the Small World, Space mountain and the pirates. Like Purdue, they've seen it all before. I'm sure if I go to Disney World, I will enjoy my visit, but not as much as the first time I went. it's been almost 40 years since I was a student at Purdue. For me it will never be as exciting as it was when I was a student. I've already experienced Championships in the NIT and BIG 10. I've already experienced an elite 8 and final 4. I'd like to experience something different.

Purdue is kind of like that $500,00 beach front condo in Florida . there are many people who would dream of being able to own that condo. and there are man y people who would enjoy going to that Condo every year of their life and would love it. But for me, I've been to the beaches and that condo before many times. it's great. However, before I die, I'd like to see NYC, and Europe, ad Hawaii and other places and things. Suffice it to say, I've seen Sweet 16 appearances before. I'd really like to see something different. I bet even OSU fans get tired of going to the Rose Bowl every year, and Alabama fans would like a change of pace. That first time has excitement in the air. and as a student, anything and everything is exciting. but at age 60, either give me a championship, or I'll switch the channel to the comedians on FOX news or pro bowling or curling. I need some excitement in my life rather than the basic Purdue typical season. To me, winning 30 games wasn't that much different than winning 25 games. it's was great, but my heart pulse was never in danger of a heart attack as it was when I was younger. In 1982, I was a Brewers fan, and my heart raced to a fever pitch. The Brewers have had some good teams after that year. but they have never been as exciting as that first world series.

I've only been married once. there is still some excitement in our marriage , but not as much as that first time.

I love Purdue basketball . but my excitement now will never reach the heights it once did. I'm not depressed or sad. I don't want the coach fired. I'm proud of our team. I have over 20 Purdue t-shirts. I still pump my fist and stomp the floor after a great play or win. I also love 40 foot rainbow shots over slam dunks. But my expectations are tempered. I've lived a long life. it's time for younger Purdue fans to experience that same excitement I once had. you might say, these posts are my Purdue basketball memoirs. I'm a lot more reflective than futuristic.

Purdue is like a roller coaster or going to Disney World. Some people will love it every time they ride it. But for others, after riding that same roller coaster, or going to Disney World for the 40th time, it gets old and less satisfying. how many times do you watch Star Wars before you decide it's no longer as fun as it once was and you start pointing out the flaws in the plot? Why does the death star have a weakness? With all their intelligence, why would it have a weakness?

Painter knows how to build a championship. Painter knows that winning NCAA championships is based primarily on guard play. So why does he continually build teams featuring a big man? only to lose to some young rebel team with a long range light saber?

Disney World is the greatest place on Earth. But i know many people who are tired of the Small World, Space mountain and the pirates. Like Purdue, they've seen it all before. I'm sure if I go to Disney World, I will enjoy my visit, but not as much as the first time I went. it's been almost 40 years since I was a student at Purdue. For me it will never be as exciting as it was when I was a student. I've already experienced Championships in the NIT and BIG 10. I've already experienced an elite 8 and final 4. I'd like to experience something different.

Purdue is kind of like that $500,00 beach front condo in Florida . there are many people who would dream of being able to own that condo. and there are man y people who would enjoy going to that Condo every year of their life and would love it. But for me, I've been to the beaches and that condo before many times. it's great. However, before I die, I'd like to see NYC, and Europe, ad Hawaii and other places and things. Suffice it to say, I've seen Sweet 16 appearances before. I'd really like to see something different. I bet even OSU fans get tired of going to the Rose Bowl every year, and Alabama fans would like a change of pace. That first time has excitement in the air. and as a student, anything and everything is exciting. but at age 60, either give me a championship, or I'll switch the channel to the comedians on FOX news or pro bowling or curling. I need some excitement in my life rather than the basic Purdue typical season. To me, winning 30 games wasn't that much different than winning 25 games. it's was great, but my heart pulse was never in danger of a heart attack as it was when I was younger. In 1982, I was a Brewers fan, and my heart raced to a fever pitch. The Brewers have had some good teams after that year. but they have never been as exciting as that first world series.

I've only been married once. there is still some excitement in our marriage , but not as much as that first time.

I love Purdue basketball . but my excitement now will never reach the heights it once did. I'm not depressed or sad. I don't want the coach fired. I'm proud of our team. I have over 20 Purdue t-shirts. I still pump my fist and stomp the floor after a great play or win. I also love 40 foot rainbow shots over slam dunks. But my expectations are tempered. I've lived a long life. it's time for younger Purdue fans to experience that same excitement I once had. you might say, these posts are my Purdue basketball memoirs. I'm a lot more reflective than futuristic.
Come on man...

Come on man...

did you expect me to say something different? like what was the stupidest poll posted on this board this year? I haven't been to Disney World since 2000. I'm sure it's changed a lot since then. I know the prices have gone up. but like the Pirates of the Caribbean, how much has Purdue basketball really changed in the last 20 years? it's still a great product. but I'll allow you to enjoy it. it's time to pass the torch, and generate some new fans, new stories, and new energy . Nobody really wants to relive the Joe Barry Carrol or BIG Dog or 3 amigos years. I'm tired of saying, back in my day.....

Whoa, many experts predicted that Purdue would be a middle of the Conference team with Biggie gone and all they did was win 30 games, compete for the B1G Conference Title until the end and were competitive in all games until the Haas injury halted the NCAA run. V. Edwards injury did us no favors at the end also. This team overachieved and made the EXPERTS look silly!

I predicted a Sweet Sixteen appearance & that's how far they got so that met my expectation.

Now, I plan to get back on topic with this thread if some of y'all can help me out with that.

I predicted a Sweet Sixteen appearance & that's how far they got so that met my expectation.

Now, I plan to get back on topic with this thread if some of y'all can help me out with that.
There are not any that I would call "best." So, this thread is dead.

Wolegab, my comment on you was due to the tangent you went off on, not the content I didnt read.

I suspected as much. if my post goes over 10 words, you tend to ignore the important parts. and while you're at it, before you accept that moderator position, clean up your face wants to create, learn how to spell people's names.

I suspected as much. if my post goes over 10 words, you tend to ignore the important parts. and while you're at it, before you accept that moderator position, clean up your face wants to create, learn how to spell people's names.
Wolegab was intentional, not miss spelled.

Reactions: Heiner
This guy complains about everything. Not getting random transfers and recruits even though he has zero clue how good they are or what kind of fit they might be, the schedule being too easy and not playing major opponents in every nonconference game, zone, Painter, etc. The list goes on and on. Find another program to root for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT