ADVERTISEMENT

Belmont vs Purdue: Pregame Discussion & Game Thread

Courtesy of the Journal & Courier:

► Belmont has won three straight since suffering its only loss at Green Bay, coached by former Purdue player Linc Darner. The Bruins' record includes home-and-home wins over a solid Lipscomb team and a road victory at UCLA. McClain, often overshadowed by classmate Windler, collected 20 points, six rebounds and six assists and hit the game-winning shot with 2.3 seconds left.

► Murphy is coming off a 20-point performance in a victory over Western Kentucky. He ranks among the Ohio Valley Conference leaders in several categories, and those 6.8 assists rank 10th nationally. He's one reason why Saturday's game will test the team defense deficiencies which have cost Purdue in similar matchups. Windler draws headlines, but the Bison are deep and versatile.

► With the exception of the Michigan loss, Purdue has allowed between nine and 21 points off turnovers in their losses. Belmont does not force an abundance of turnovers, but its up-tempo attack can and will turn those opportunities into points when they occur. Nojel Eastern, who cut his turnovers per 40 minuted from 3.4 last season to under 2.0 this season, can help provide a steady hand.

The Boilers have been steadier at home, and I look for them to prevail in a closer game than many might think. They need a solid, focused effort and a much better defensive performance than in some recent contests. Belmont is a better test than Ohio.

Hope they can finish out 2018 with a great game.

Boiler up, my friends.

Reactions: Schnelk
Looking forward to a great team effort with our young guys gaining confidence and earning more playing time. I read that Belmont averages 5 guys in double figures with 3 of them freshman. Should see a lot of youth on the floor today. Btfu!

PU better win, I can't survive two crappie loses in the same weekend..

tend to agree, BBG......just seems to need a shot of confidence there....maybe take it to the bank?
I think the lack of confident aggression is more based on poor FT shooting than not hitting 10 footers ... on the other hand, that 15 footer was ... well ... not going to result in a foul, let's say

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT