ADVERTISEMENT

Beilein

Wild stat...only two active coaches have won big ten titles (Izzo and Painter).

With both teams projected rosters and clearly now the best 2 coaches, that streak might stick a little longer. Only see OSU as a threat ( throw UM in if they get a home run coach).

Texas Tech is a much better job than Michigan and if he wants the Texas job, leaving now would make zero sense.

Unless Stevens is fired from Boston, there is no chance he would leave. Michigan also isn’t a better job than Villanova or Virginia. You can ask, sure, but if a blue blood like IU (tic) can’t pull those guys away, then no way Michigan can.

All jokes aside, the best that they can hope for would be Stevens to get fired from Boston and want to go back to coaching college right away. Donovan would be the next best option, but if you are Stevens or Donovan, would it be better to go back to college or stay pro? Another pro job will definitely open up.
That was my original point: Michigan is a better job than IU right now. More resources thanks to football, more reasonable fan expectations, better roster, and more recent success.

And it’s a much better job than Texas Tech in my opinion, though Beard might wait for UT to open.

That was my original point: Michigan is a better job than IU right now. More resources thanks to football, more reasonable fan expectations, better roster, and more recent success.

And it’s a much better job than Texas Tech in my opinion, though Beard might wait for UT to open.

Texas Tech just had two really nice tournament runs, both times losing to the eventual champion and in one case that was in OT of the championship game. Beilien made the Michigan job good. It would make zero sense for him to go to Michigan and have to recruit his guys over keeping what he has and wait for Texas to move on from Smart.

So I repeat, for Beard, Texas Tech is by far and away a better job. To be honest, it isn’t close. Especially if he is looking to go to Texas. The only jobs that could pull him away would be jobs that recruit themselves. UNC, Duke, Kansas. That’s it.

But if he wants Texas, he can make that a job just as good as the above mentioned. They will compete pay wise and his name in coaching is hot right now that he can recruit against those type of schools.

I think Beard to Michigan would be a colossal mistake. In it’s current state it is a lateral move and gets him away from the players he recruited to play his system. Why pack up and move to the mitten if you are waiting for one of the premier jobs or the Texas job (which I have read that is a real possibility).

I think Beard can succeed in Michigan, but that hits the reset button. Why would you want to do that a bad foul/call away from a championship? Especially if Texas Tech is willing to match dollars.

Texas Tech just had two really nice tournament runs, both times losing to the eventual champion and in one case that was in OT of the championship game. Beilien made the Michigan job good. It would make zero sense for him to go to Michigan and have to recruit his guys over keeping what he has and wait for Texas to move on from Smart.

So I repeat, for Beard, Texas Tech is by far and away a better job. To be honest, it isn’t close. Especially if he is looking to go to Texas. The only jobs that could pull him away would be jobs that recruit themselves. UNC, Duke, Kansas. That’s it.

But if he wants Texas, he can make that a job just as good as the above mentioned. They will compete pay wise and his name in coaching is hot right now that he can recruit against those type of schools.

I think Beard to Michigan would be a colossal mistake. In it’s current state it is a lateral move and gets him away from the players he recruited to play his system. Why pack up and move to the mitten if you are waiting for one of the premier jobs or the Texas job (which I have read that is a real possibility).

I think Beard can succeed in Michigan, but that hits the reset button. Why would you want to do that a bad foul/call away from a championship? Especially if Texas Tech is willing to match dollars.

Michigan has a complicated history, but it certainly has everything you need to be a powerhouse.

It boils down to what someone wants. Some coaches will jump to the next best thing with the most dollar signs.

Technically, Beilein was making $1.5M less than Beard is now. But Michigan certainly has resources.

Overall, if both the Michigan and Texas Tech jobs were open, Michigan would EASILY be the better choice. However with football not the big show in town, Beard is probably pretty happy with where he's at as he's having a lot of resources thrown at him.

I wouldn't say NBA is less hours. You don't recruit, but there is a ton offseason stuff you have to do along with the front office.

But its all professionals and doesn't have the hypocrisy of the NCAA over you. I get why he wanted to go to a pro program, its all about coaching and developing talent. You don't have to pretend the schools actually give a crap about these kids educations. I know Beilien did because he kept that one kid on the team after his 2nd plane crash, but he was probably the only one at Michigan that cared.

I don't think you get what a college coach's schedule is like. I guarantee you Matt Painter is logging more hours per year than any NBA coach.

Recruiting is a BEAST of a time consumer. On a Friday night before a Saturday game, what NBA coach is traveling to go scout potential players? Are they texting, calling, meeting with, etc. potential players and their families constantly, in addition to dealing with their own players? You don't think college coaches have "front office" type of work in the off season too?

The top candidates to replace John Beilein as Michigan basketball coach
Updated 12:28 PM; Today 12:11 PM
AYEIE6PVHJDP3GNDTAJNKDE3Q4.jpg

Melanie Maxwell | MLive.com

Michigan assistant coach LaVall Jordan smiles during a drill in an open practice for an NCAA tournament First Four game at University of Dayton Arena in Dayton, Ohio on Tuesday, March 15, 2016.
By Andrew Kahn | akahn1@mlive.com

ANN ARBOR -- As quick as you can say Cleveland Cavaliers, Michigan is looking for a new basketball coach.

John Beilein’s decision to leave the Wolverines for the NBA leaves a major hole that Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel will have to fill.

Who are the likely potential candidates to replace Michigan's all-time winningest basketball coach?

The protégé

Beilein's coaching tree -- that is, his former assistants who have become head coaches -- is not particularly large. His most prominent former assistant is Butler head coach LaVall Jordan. The 40-year-old served on Beilein's staff at Michigan for six seasons, leaving to take the top job at Milwaukee in 2016. He spent just one season there before jumping to Butler, where he went 21-14 in his first season and 16-17 last year.

There appear to be only three other former Beilein assistants currently coaching at the Division I level: Billy Donlon, who served at U-M for just one year and took the University of Missouri-Kansas City job a little over a month ago; and Jeff Neubauer (Fordham) and Mike Jones (Radford), who worked with Beilein at Richmond and West Virginia.

Jordan would appear to be the only viable option among that group.

Next man up

Beilein has said he believes all of his Michigan assistants are future head coaches. Are any ready to replace Beilein?

Luke Yaklich, 43, could hold the most intrigue, given his work with Michigan’s vastly improved defense the past two years. He was an assistant for four seasons at Illinois State before that, and was a high school head coach for 14 years.

Saddi Washington, also 43, has been with Beilein for three seasons and was at Oakland University for the 10 years prior. He has no head coaching experience -- besides three exhibition games in Spain last summer -- but has been a top assistant.

DeAndre Haynes, at 35, is the youngest and least experienced of the trio. He joined the staff two years ago after five years as an assistant in the Mid-American Conference and is noted for his work with the offense and guard play.

The son....Can there be lightning in the bottle twice????

There is one other former Beilein staff member who recently became a Division I head coach: Beilein's son, Patrick. The younger Beilein, who served as a grad assistant in Ann Arbor for two years (2008-09 and 2009-10), followed in his father's footsteps from Division II Le Moyne to the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, where he landed at Niagara.

This is the younger Beilein’s first Division I job, and he was just hired in March. He’s only 36 and while he appears to be a rising star in the profession who owns many of his father’s characteristics, it would be a major stretch for Michigan to hire him at this point.

Back to school

Manuel just lost his coach to the NBA. Perhaps he can pluck the successor from the same league. Like almost any other athletic director who’s needed a basketball coach in the past few years, Manuel may want to reach out to Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan.

Stevens has been the Boston Celtics' head coach for the past six years. Before that, he took Butler to two national championship games during his five-year tenure. He's 42 and, if a disappointing finish to this season has him thinking about returning to college, he'll find a high-profile gig in Ann Arbor.

The same goes for Donovan, 53, who just wrapped his fourth season with the Oklahoma City Thunder. His results there have been mediocre -- three first-round playoff exits, including this year -- but his success at the college level is undeniable. At Florida, he won back-to-back national championships, reached two other Final Fours, and went 467–186 during his 18 years there.

Can't beat 'em, hire 'em

Like the two NBA coaches listed above, there are plenty of successful college coaches without any direct ties to Michigan, including the two that eliminated the Wolverines from the past two NCAA Tournaments.

Jay Wright's Villanova squad beat Beilein's bunch in the 2018 title game. Wright, 57, has been at Villanova for the past 18 years, winning the title in 2016 as well.

Beard is one of the hottest names in coaching after leading Texas Tech to the 2019 title game. Along the way, the Red Raiders stifled Michigan in the Sweet 16. Beard, who is 46, recently signed a six-year contract extension worth $4.6 million per year.

Beilein's latest contract, signed last summer, was for $3.8 million a year. On that point, because of the uncertain nature of different buyouts and Michigan's ability and willingness to shell out big money, contract situations were not considered when putting together this list of coaching candidates.

Big name hunting

There's no reason Manuel shouldn't see if Tony Bennett would be interested in leaving Virginia or if Michigan, for some reason, is the job that finally lures Mark Few away from Gonzaga. Bennett, 49, won this year's national championship. Few, 56, has built Gonzaga into a national powerhouse.

Rick Barnes, while older (65) and less successful in recent years than those two, has won nearly 700 games. He took Tennessee to the Sweet 16 last season and was reportedly ready to leave for UCLA until a buyout got in the way.

Young and successful

Nate Oats has Michigan ties -- he was the coach at Romulus High School for 11 years before leaving in 2013 -- but he was just hired at Alabama, his first job at a major conference school after spending the past four seasons as Buffalo's head coach. He's 44, the same age as Iowa State's Steve Prohm. Steve Wojciechowski (Marquette) and Mike White (Florida) are both 42. All have had success at the college level. Enough to warrant the Michigan job?

We'll see.

Manuel has work to do.

Michigan assistant coach LaVall Jordan smiles during a drill in an open practice for an NCAA tournament First Four game at University of Dayton Arena in Dayton, Ohio on Tuesday, March 15, 2016.

ANN ARBOR -- As quick as you can say Cleveland Cavaliers, Michigan is looking for a new basketball coach.

John Beilein’s decision to leave the Wolverines for the NBA leaves a major hole that Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel will have to fill.

Who are the likely potential candidates to replace Michigan's all-time winningest basketball coach?

The protégé

Beilein's coaching tree -- that is, his former assistants who have become head coaches -- is not particularly large. His most prominent former assistant is Butler head coach LaVall Jordan. The 40-year-old served on Beilein's staff at Michigan for six seasons, leaving to take the top job at Milwaukee in 2016. He spent just one season there before jumping to Butler, where he went 21-14 in his first season and 16-17 last year.

There appear to be only three other former Beilein assistants currently coaching at the Division I level: Billy Donlon, who served at U-M for just one year and took the University of Missouri-Kansas City job a little over a month ago; and Jeff Neubauer (Fordham) and Mike Jones (Radford), who worked with Beilein at Richmond and West Virginia.

Next man up

Beilein has said he believes all of his Michigan assistants are future head coaches. Are any ready to replace Beilein?

Luke Yaklich, 43, could hold the most intrigue, given his work with Michigan’s vastly improved defense the past two years. He was an assistant for four seasons at Illinois State before that, and was a high school head coach for 14 years.

Saddi Washington, also 43, has been with Beilein for three seasons and was at Oakland University for the 10 years prior. He has no head coaching experience -- besides three exhibition games in Spain last summer -- but has been a top assistant.

DeAndre Haynes, at 35, is the youngest and least experienced of the trio. He joined the staff two years ago after five years as an assistant in the Mid-American Conference and is noted for his work with the offense and guard play.

There is one other former Beilein staff member who recently became a Division I head coach: Beilein's son, Patrick. The younger Beilein, who served as a grad assistant in Ann Arbor for two years (2008-09 and 2009-10), followed in his father's footsteps from Division II Le Moyne to the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, where he landed at Niagara.

This is the younger Beilein’s first Division I job, and he was just hired in March. He’s only 36 and while he appears to be a rising star in the profession who owns many of his father’s characteristics, it would be a major stretch for Michigan to hire him at this point.

Back to school

Manuel just lost his coach to the NBA. Perhaps he can pluck the successor from the same league. Like almost any other athletic director who’s needed a basketball coach in the past few years, Manuel may want to reach out to Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan.

Stevens has been the Boston Celtics' head coach for the past six years. Before that, he took Butler to two national championship games during his five-year tenure. He's 42 and, if a disappointing finish to this season has him thinking about returning to college, he'll find a high-profile gig in Ann Arbor.

The same goes for Donovan, 53, who just wrapped his fourth season with the Oklahoma City Thunder. His results there have been mediocre -- three first-round playoff exits, including this year -- but his success at the college level is undeniable. At Florida, he won back-to-back national championships, reached two other Final Fours, and went 467–186 during his 18 years there.

Can't beat 'em, hire 'em

Like the two NBA coaches listed above, there are plenty of successful college coaches without any direct ties to Michigan, including the two that eliminated the Wolverines from the past two NCAA Tournaments.

Jay Wright's Villanova squad beat Beilein's bunch in the 2018 title game. Wright, 57, has been at Villanova for the past 18 years, winning the title in 2016 as well.

Beard is one of the hottest names in coaching after leading Texas Tech to the 2019 title game. Along the way, the Red Raiders stifled Michigan in the Sweet 16. Beard, who is 46, recently signed a six-year contract extension worth $4.6 million per year.

Beilein's latest contract, signed last summer, was for $3.8 million a year. On that point, because of the uncertain nature of different buyouts and Michigan's ability and willingness to shell out big money, contract situations were not considered when putting together this list of coaching candidates.

Big name hunting

There's no reason Manuel shouldn't see if Tony Bennett would be interested in leaving Virginia or if Michigan, for some reason, is the job that finally lures Mark Few away from Gonzaga. Bennett, 49, won this year's national championship. Few, 56, has built Gonzaga into a national powerhouse.

Rick Barnes, while older (65) and less successful in recent years than those two, has won nearly 700 games. He took Tennessee to the Sweet 16 last season and was reportedly ready to leave for UCLA until a buyout got in the way.

Young and successful

Nate Oats has Michigan ties -- he was the coach at Romulus High School for 11 years before leaving in 2013 -- but he was just hired at Alabama, his first job at a major conference school after spending the past four seasons as Buffalo's head coach. He's 44, the same age as Iowa State's Steve Prohm. Steve Wojciechowski (Marquette) and Mike White (Florida) are both 42. All have had success at the college level. Enough to warrant the Michigan job?

We'll see.

Manuel has work to do.

Most of the names listed here are the same ones that everybody tries for and have turned down other jobs.

As for Jordan, who is on the hot seat at Butler, that would make me the happiest because Michigan would fade almost completely out of relevance with that hire.

Stevens and Donovan are the obvious choices, but other teams have tried every year. The difference is this year they may get let go. If they are both retained, I can’t see them leaving.

It’s still early. A real list of candidates/top targets should surface soon enough.

I agree that for Beard, Texas Tech probably is the better job at the moment. For 90% plus of P5 head coaches though, Michigan is the better job.

Most of the names listed here are the same ones that everybody tries for and have turned down other jobs.

As for Jordan, who is on the hot seat at Butler, that would make me the happiest because Michigan would fade almost completely out of relevance with that hire.

Stevens and Donovan are the obvious choices, but other teams have tried every year. The difference is this year they may get let go. If they are both retained, I can’t see them leaving.

It’s still early. A real list of candidates/top targets should surface soon enough.
I can see Stevens being on a bit of a hot seat. He was brought to Boston to restore the dignity of a great old franchise and though he's done that to an extent, he hasn't taken them to the promised land....yet. I'm guessing that because his dad played football for IU, he might have a soft spot for the Hoosiers....but would Fred Glass fire Arch after this next losing IU season to get him.

I agree that for Beard, Texas Tech probably is the better job at the moment. For 90% plus of P5 head coaches though, Michigan is the better job.

Maybe right now, but if Michigan misses on their hire and takes a 3 year setback, I don’t know that I would agree with that statement. The Michigan job is very coach dependent and if they lose the momentum they currently have, the job loses a lot of appeal.

Purdue related, I do not want to see Stevens or Donovan coaching in the Big. Painter right now has a ton of momentum and gained some position with Beilien leaving. Would like a few years to build on that and maybe get to a championship before adding any former championship game coaches come in.

I am sorry to see him go. John Beliein is pure class and as good a coach as any in the country. I think it's a big loss for the conference in particular and college basketball in general.

I’m a fan but as a Purdue fan certainly not sad to see him go. Very few programs see a coach of his caliber leave and not take a step back.

That would surprise me. Just MHO, but UM seems like a very good job that JB has elevated to a top ten job. The fact that Tech is better than a mid tier P5 job is purely do to Beard.

I didn’t read it that way the first time but don’t disagree. UM is likely the better job objectively but Tech is likely the better job for Beard.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Maybe right now, but if Michigan misses on their hire and takes a 3 year setback, I don’t know that I would agree with that statement. The Michigan job is very coach dependent and if they lose the momentum they currently have, the job loses a lot of appeal.

Purdue related, I do not want to see Stevens or Donovan coaching in the Big. Painter right now has a ton of momentum and gained some position with Beilien leaving. Would like a few years to build on that and maybe get to a championship before adding any former championship game coaches come in.

I'm not sure I agree with that.

Michigan.....is not an appealing job? Why?

It has a good history/well known program, it has good recent success, it has good facilities, it is a well resourced athletic department, it has good fans, etc.

Every job has drawbacks of course. But I think this is blowing it way out of proportion.

Reactions: northside100

I wouldn't completely dismiss Jordan. Butler has been on coaching turnover crack - how they've managed to sustain it is beyond me. I think their "living off Brad Stevens years" bubble finally has caught up to them. Butler has far overachieved for what their program is. I just don't think they can sustain it in a power conference.

Reactions: Roeder
Sorry GUYs, I'm not a Cleveland fan , nor do I care who they hire. if it was a Bucks' hire, I'd be on top of it.

As for Michigan, do not be surprised if they hire Jawann Howard !!! he's currently an assistant coach in the NBA. Shacka Smart's name has als. o been brought up.

I wouldn't completely dismiss Jordan. Butler has been on coaching turnover crack - how they've managed to sustain it is beyond me. I think their "living off Brad Stevens years" bubble finally has caught up to them. Butler has far overachieved for what their program is. I just don't think they can sustain it in a power conference.

I am not sure I agree with this. Indiana State just got some really nice players. Butler shouldn’t be losing players to Indiana State. Not to mention, if you look at some of the Indiana players that might be available you see names like Pack and Powell. Butler probably could have gotten Da’ndre Davis as well had they had the right coach go after him. I thought Jordan was a head scratching hire and it hasn’t panned out. Seriously, no excuse for ISU to get better players than Butler with their recent history being in the Big East. Jordan would be a disaster for Michigan, and in that fact I would love for them to take him.

Reactions: Schnelk
Bring back Tommy Amaker! That set them back a few years the first go around. He has grown as a coach though I’m sure since he left.

The protégé

Next man up

Back to school

Can't beat 'em, hire 'em

Big name hunting

Young and successful

We'll see.

Manuel has work to do.

Wow.

WOW WOW WOW.

Jordan's name is mentioned in connection with the UM job? I see him as having one more year before he's fired at Butler.

Good grief.

I would disagree but that’s fine. UM has had a handful of meh coaches thru the years and has almost always been a better job than TT. In fact I would say TT is by far the more coach-dependent job.

True normally, but this is an awkward time to leave. Most of the other programs have had a full month to snatch up what would be considered the plan A guys. I wonder if they promote within for a 1 year deal as a try out deal or to find the right coach next year with proper time. Michigan was made an attractive job, but while Painter, Izzo, Holtman are still around, recruiting won’t be easy to just any coach. A wrong hire could really set Michigan back.

I would probably promote within for 1 year as a tryout just to make sure I got the correct hire. That may set you back one year with current recruits, but that is better than getting the wrong guys is it not?
I'd be knocking on Matta's door.
I see Thad quite often and I'm not sure he's physically able to coach or recruit. He lives by Barry Collier and I could see him taking over as Butler AD.

I see Thad quite often and I'm not sure he's physically able to coach or recruit. He lives by Barry Collier and I could see him taking over as Butler AD.

Wow, ok. I wondered why his name never comes up for new coaching jobs.

I would disagree but that’s fine. UM has had a handful of meh coaches thru the years and has almost always been a better job than TT. In fact I would say TT is by far the more coach-dependent job.

If Beard left, the Michigan vacancy would be a better job. I guess I could agree with that depending on the coach and where they are from/recruit. But, the west coast has a lot of talent and there are a lot of athletes that come out of Texas.

As it stands, the Texas job pays more and has a lot less expectations. Being the guy to replace Beilien isn’t going to be an easy job.

I still don’t think there is anyway that Michigan would be a better job for Beard right now. But, if Beard leaves, Texas Tech will fall pretty far without the right coach. If Michigan fumbles their coaching hire they could stumble. Look at what IU has gone through since that Knight. A mess really outside of that one good year with Davis.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT