ADVERTISEMENT

OT ky down

wrd

Dec 2, 2003
Wow, I thought Kentucky was a blue blood, I guess not, losing to Oakland 😇

Well you have to have somewhat of a defense to win. They were lucky Reeves was on fire and making every three pointer he was shooting late. Could have easily been a double digit loss. As well as Oakland shooting terrible at the line.

Reactions: infinitymv
To put this in reference, 2 years ago KY lost to St. Pete's who then beat Purdue in the second round. Now KY goes out in the first round. Kinda similar fortunes to Purdue the last 2 years.

Not good for my bracket, but I'll gladly live with it.
Rough start for the SEC.

The seat has to be getting warm for Cal. Seems like he hasn’t done anything in years.
Just go read through some of the comments on Matt Jones’ (@KySportsRadio) Twitter/X feed. Got a feeling Kentucky AD Mitch Barnhart is going to be getting some calls and e-mails for the next few days, months…

Just go read through some of the comments on Matt Jones’ (@KySportsRadio) Twitter/X feed. Got a feeling Kentucky AD Mitch Barnhart is going to be getting some calls and e-mails for the next few days, months…
That’s all well and good.

But who in Summerteeth Nation is paying the $33 million to get rid of him ??

Reactions: pboiler18
To put this in reference, 2 years ago KY lost to St. Pete's who then beat Purdue in the second round. Now KY goes out in the first round. Kinda similar fortunes to Purdue the last 2 years.
Thought I saw that Kentucky is 1-4 in their last 4 NCAAs. I'm very happy after watching his slimy pre-game press conference where he bragged about how he prepares men for life in the NBA.

Reactions: pboiler18
Just like our freshman were not ready for the bright lights last year, some of the KY frosh were not ready this year. Makes it difficult too when other team has seniors and or grad guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: asindc
Helps when a guy averaging 13 pts goes off for 32. Some of his 3's were very difficult shots but he was on a heater last night.
Typical guard play in the NCAA... Always a guard or 2 that goes off for a few games that allows these upsets... Just hope Grambling doesn't do the same... I'm sure they believe they can beat us as anyone should in the tourney these days. Purdue will have to come fully focused...

Reactions: Gesysp
I know people love clowning on Purdue but Kentucky has like 1 win in their last 4-5 tourneys. Perhaps it is 6 after last night.

As much as people laugh at St Peter’s beating us, the reason Purdue played St Peters is because they beat Kentucky.

The plethora of talent they get just to lose like that is amazing.

Helps when a guy averaging 13 pts goes off for 32. Some of his 3's were very difficult shots but he was on a heater last night.
I looked through his game log. He had a couple other games where he went off (31 and 27). You would think after his 5th made 3 that Cal might call a time out and make it a bit of an emphasis that someone should be guarding him.

I know people love clowning on Purdue but Kentucky has like 1 win in their last 4-5 tourneys. Perhaps it is 6 after last night.

As much as people laugh at St Peter’s beating us, the reason Purdue played St Peters is because they beat Kentucky.

Did you see Cal's pre-game press interview? Sleazy recruiting sales pitch. He bragged about the combined billions his players were making in the pros. It really looked like a rehearsed sales pitch and he wasn't going to pass on the opportunity with a national audience. His message was "Come play for me and you'll be rich playing basketball." I was always somewhat ambivalent towards him before that display. Not now.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Did you see Cal's pre-game press interview? Sleazy recruiting sales pitch. He bragged about the combined billions his players were making in the pros. It really looked like a rehearsed sales pitch and he wasn't going to pass on the opportunity with a national audience. His message was "Come play for me and you'll be rich playing basketball." I was always somewhat ambivalent towards him before that display. Not now.
Didn’t see that - was making dinner and helping my daughter do her pet setting job. Someone I follow on Twitter shared some advanced metrics about Kentucky and pointing to the fact he isn’t a good X’s and O’s Coach. He literally gets the “top players” and hopes potential beat experience. He really hasn’t had a team of studs since Monk and Fox were running their back court.

Reactions: BoilerAndy

10-7 in last seven tournament appearances since the last Final Four in 2015. Bad trend lately with first round losses to double-digit seeds in two of the last three tournaments as a top-3 seed.

Did get to the Regional Final in 2017 (losing to North Carolina who got a lot of favorable calls in that game) and 2019 (losing to conference member Auburn in OT). Not the frustrating futility level of Purdue, but not close to the impossible expectations in Lexington.

Inexperience really showed last night....Townsend was impressive for Oakland along with Gohlke.

I will agree with one other thing he said after the game (and which I will begrudgingly give him some credit for speaking with TV outside the locker room still in the heat of the moment) - it's a shame that nobody looks at the whole season after a disappointing loss as a favorite. However, ........that's the way it is now......he acknowledged that as well.

Last edited:
Well, there goes Dick Vitale's bracket,
Vitale was always seemingly lazy with his analysis. Never really looked outside the research triangle or bluegrass country.

I was never a fan of Bilas - but he has turned it around for me. Really feel like he’s done his homework in the past few years.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Let’s not forget St. Peter’s beat Murray State and then Purdue in the Sweet 16. That’s what made it even worse for me. Usually, when a higher seed like that pulls the upset they return to Earth and they get beat, maybe even blown out in the next game because the next higher favored team is on high alert. St. Peter’s went to the Elite 8…and got beat by an 8 seed UNC team that Purdue had crushed earlier that season. That loss is more painful to me than the FDU one.

Let’s not forget St. Peter’s beat Murray State and then Purdue in the Sweet 16. That’s what made it even worse for me. Usually, when a higher seed like that pulls the upset they return to Earth and they get beat, maybe even blown out in the next game because the next higher favored team is on high alert. St. Peter’s went to the Elite 8…and got beat by an 8 seed UNC team that Purdue had crushed earlier that season. That loss is more painful to me than the FDU one.

I keep trying to forget that....yet here is another reminder
☹️😢😥😭

Both losses sucked, but the fact we forgot to show up for St. Peter's knowing full damn well they were a capable opponent was a travesty. It was obvious in the first few minutes of that game Purdue didn't bring it. Wished Painter was more like Keady in those situations to light a fire.

Reactions: TMA62
Both losses sucked, but the fact we forgot to show up for St. Peter's knowing full damn well they were a capable opponent was a travesty. It was obvious in the first few minutes of that game Purdue didn't bring it. Wished Painter was more like Keady in those situations to light a fire.
They should be treating every game as if they are on the road against a highly ranked opponent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT