ADVERTISEMENT

Beilein

I am not sure I agree with this. Indiana State just got some really nice players. Butler shouldn’t be losing players to Indiana State. Not to mention, if you look at some of the Indiana players that might be available you see names like Pack and Powell. Butler probably could have gotten Da’ndre Davis as well had they had the right coach go after him. I thought Jordan was a head scratching hire and it hasn’t panned out. Seriously, no excuse for ISU to get better players than Butler with their recent history being in the Big East. Jordan would be a disaster for Michigan, and in that fact I would love for them to take him.

Butler was definitely not on the "up and up" prior to Jordan arriving-like I said, you can't sustain that kind of coaching turnover.

I don't think Butler can play with the big boys on a consistent basis. You look at a Creighton - somewhat similar to Butler's path to the Big East...also struggling. When you lose momentum, where does a school like Butler get it back from? And sustain it? Butler can't pay coaches to stick around. You'll never be a successful program going through a coaching carousel.

I am not sure I agree with this. Indiana State just got some really nice players. Butler shouldn’t be losing players to Indiana State. Not to mention, if you look at some of the Indiana players that might be available you see names like Pack and Powell. Butler probably could have gotten Da’ndre Davis as well had they had the right coach go after him. I thought Jordan was a head scratching hire and it hasn’t panned out. Seriously, no excuse for ISU to get better players than Butler with their recent history being in the Big East. Jordan would be a disaster for Michigan, and in that fact I would love for them to take him.
Jordan's issue isn't recruiting. He's arguably recruiting at a level higher than "normal" for Butler in the past 20 years or so. They're consistently getting 3/4 stars (I believe Battle coming in next year is a solid 4). Where he struggles - and I say this as a Butler alum who watches 75% of their games - is in game decision making/adjustments/rotations. Plus he can't win on the road. His road record is beyond abysmal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85

Sorry, but guys worried about "ethics" don't jump ship....to the NBA?

I totally get that coaches can find recruiting difficult. But you think managing a bunch of NBA players and not actually getting to pick who's on your team is easy?

Not sure why an FBI investigation involving a handful of people would bother you so much to leave the industry....unless you're worried in advance about something you've done and see the writing on the wall.

Overall, I think it's a convenient reasoning. He's not the first guy that's jumped from college to NBA, and he won't be the last.

Sorry, but guys worried about "ethics" don't jump ship....to the NBA?

I totally get that coaches can find recruiting difficult. But you think managing a bunch of NBA players and not actually getting to pick who's on your team is easy?

Not sure why an FBI investigation involving a handful of people would bother you so much to leave the industry....unless you're worried in advance about something you've done and see the writing on the wall.

Overall, I think it's a convenient reasoning. He's not the first guy that's jumped from college to NBA, and he won't be the last.
Dana O'Neil's article today in the Athletic opens with her phoning "a coach I knew would cut out the BS and get straight to the heart of it. 'When John Beilein goes to the NBA, it tells you how f***ed up college basketball is' he told me after asking that I not share his identity."

I think there's a really decent chance that quote is from Painter. He's close to Beilein and highly respected by the national beat writers and fellow coaches. It wouldn't shock me at all if he supplied that quote.

Dana O'Neil's article today in the Athletic opens with her phoning "a coach I knew would cut out the BS and get straight to the heart of it. 'When John Beilein goes to the NBA, it tells you how f***ed up college basketball is' he told me after asking that I not share his identity."

I think there's a really decent chance that quote is from Painter. He's close to Beilein and highly respected by the national beat writers and fellow coaches. It wouldn't shock me at all if he supplied that quote.

Brian confirmed that quote is not from Painter. It was now or never for Beilein and it’s been reported that he was disheartened by the number of players leaving early for what would have been a NC caliber team. I’m sure the issues around recruiting contributed as well.

There is definitely some chatter that Jordan may be in the mix for the UM role. It will be interesting to watch play out. Butler fans would push for Micah to replace him so it’s worth paying attention to.

I'm putting this out there. Juwan Howard!!! he's currently an NBA assistant coach. he definitely is a name in Michigan. Shrewsberry came back from the NBA to Purdue. Michigan would probably pay Juwan more than he's currently making.

And Michigan may be looking at what Memphis is doing with Penny as their coach, and deciding to follow their lead. Penny is attracting some big time recruits primarily by having a staff of former NBA players. I could see Juwan doing the same at Michigan hiring some former NBA players.

The FAB 5 were great. Maybe Michigan has decided to go back to those ways.

Seems to me UM could land much more of a sure thing as their head coach than Jordan, assuming they are willing to spend top dollar.

Jordan would be best case scenario for Purdue except for the fact Shrewsberry would possibly leave for Butler to replace Jordan. Butler is a tough job, but I wasn’t huge in the hire at the time and he certainly didn’t set the world on fire last year. The move would be best for Jordan as well as it allows him to get while the getting is good.

I'm putting this out there. Juwan Howard!!! he's currently an NBA assistant coach. he definitely is a name in Michigan. Shrewsberry came back from the NBA to Purdue. Michigan would probably pay Juwan more than he's currently making.

And Michigan may be looking at what Memphis is doing with Penny as their coach, and deciding to follow their lead. Penny is attracting some big time recruits primarily by having a staff of former NBA players. I could see Juwan doing the same at Michigan hiring some former NBA players.

The FAB 5 were great. Maybe Michigan has decided to go back to those ways.

Being in the DC area, name coaches don't equal recruiting success.

Georgetown hired Patrick Ewing as head coach after being a long time assistant coach in the NBA.

I don't think a single person would say his "coaching" is impressive. And you can't get a much bigger name....it should result in recruiting success right?

Georgetown's 5 person 2019 recruiting class features 1 person in the Top 150 (ranked 121). They have 0 2020 commits.

So a big name doesn't equal recruiting star power. And NBA experience is very different than college experience. You have to know what you're doing....

It's not saying someone coming from the NBA can't do well in college basketball - but <insert name> who is an alum from <insert school> doesn't equal a good coaching candidate.

Then Beard to UT probably. UT would be willing to eat $ on Shaka to have this happen.
That would put a Mr. Beard appearance at Mackey in December as the Longhorns come to West Lafayette this year. Some justice/revenge will be on the menu.

Reactions: TX4GB
Being in the DC area, name coaches don't equal recruiting success.

Georgetown hired Patrick Ewing as head coach after being a long time assistant coach in the NBA.

I don't think a single person would say his "coaching" is impressive. And you can't get a much bigger name....it should result in recruiting success right?

Georgetown's 5 person 2019 recruiting class features 1 person in the Top 150 (ranked 121). They have 0 2020 commits.

So a big name doesn't equal recruiting star power. And NBA experience is very different than college experience. You have to know what you're doing....

It's not saying someone coming from the NBA can't do well in college basketball - but <insert name> who is an alum from <insert school> doesn't equal a good coaching candidate.
Isaiah Thomas is another NBA great who was an awful coach. Couldn't win even by cheating.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I'm just catching up after being on vacation. But one thing I have to say is LOL to anyone thinking Texas Tech is a better job than Michigan. Is Chris Beard a great coach? Yes of course but if and when he leaves for Texas or whatever, it will revert back to what it was. They have had little to no sustained success for as long as I've been following college basketball, at that includes the Knights being there. I also don't necessarily expect Beard to leave for Texas though. Tech is HIS dream job, and he left UNLV after less than 2 weeks I believe to take it.

My best bet for Michigan, other than the dream scenario of Brad Stevens being let go from Boston, is to hire from within. That would keep the status quo as much as possible because it's hard to believe anyone that they would want to get (Wright/Bennett/Barnes/etc) would leave at this point in the game (late May). I could be wrong though. I just think that hiring a guy like Jordan would set the program back because he isn't proven enough. Regroup, keep the program stable, and re-evaluate in 10 months.

I'm surprised I saw no mention of Nate Oats ITT. Yeah he shut the door on the idea immediately but I'm surprised it wasn't even brought up here. He's been a (state of) Michigan guy forever and was one of the up-and-comers in the business. Too bad for him the Alabama job came open and he bit at that.

Here are all the names that came up in this cited article from mlive.com:

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/20...-at-the-michigan-basketball-coach-search.html

Juwan Howard - currently Miami Heat assistant
Nate Oats - recently took Alabama job from Buffalo
Chris Beard - Texas Tech
Mark Few - Gonzaga
Jay Wright - Villanova
Billy Donovan - OKC
Lavall Jordan - Butler
Saddi Washington - Michigan assistant
Luke Yaklich - Michigan assistant (combination of Dakich and Yelich?)
Deandre Hayes - Michigan assistant
Ed Cooley - Providence

Some of these were discounted quickly in the article, but mentioned nonetheless.

Last edited:
Here are all the names that came up in this cited article from mlive.com:

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/20...-at-the-michigan-basketball-coach-search.html

Juwan Howard - currently Miami Heat assistant
Nate Oats - recently took Alabama job from Buffalo
Chris Beard - Texas Tech
Mark Few - Gonzaga
Jay Wright - Villanova
Saddi Washington - Michigan assistant
Luke Yaklich - Michigan assistant (combination of Dakich and Yelich?)
Deandre Hayes - Michigan assistant
Ed Cooley - Providence

Some of these were discounted quickly in the article, but mentioned nonetheless.

So it sounds like Howard, Jordan, or an assistant are the only candidates they have Intel on for potential interviews. If they do make a big splash hire by the end of this week, they are doing a great job of keeping it quiet.

So it sounds like Howard, Jordan, or an assistant are the only candidates they have Intel on for potential interviews. If they do make a big splash hire by the end of this week, they are doing a great job of keeping it quiet.
I thought they met with Cooley today and Howard tomorrow???

FROM MAIZENBREW:
As Michigan enters day nine of its search for a new head coach, Stadium basketball insider Jeff Goodman reports that “three serious candidates” have emerged in Warde Manuel’s process: Former Fab Five star and Miami Heat assistant coach Juwan Howard, Providence coach Ed Cooley, and current Michigan assistant coach Luke Yaklich.

Goodman went on to report that Yaklich interviewed for the position last Friday, Cooley was expected to Monday, and Manuel is set to meet with Juwan Howard on Tuesday. The hope is that the Wolverines will name a new head coach by the end of this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roeder

FROM MAIZENBREW:
As Michigan enters day nine of its search for a new head coach, Stadium basketball insider Jeff Goodman reports that “three serious candidates” have emerged in Warde Manuel’s process: Former Fab Five star and Miami Heat assistant coach Juwan Howard, Providence coach Ed Cooley, and current Michigan assistant coach Luke Yaklich.

Goodman went on to report that Yaklich interviewed for the position last Friday, Cooley was expected to Monday, and Manuel is set to meet with Juwan Howard on Tuesday. The hope is that the Wolverines will name a new head coach by the end of this week.

I would give Yaklich a shot from that group. The current players are likely to stick around with him. If not, a few will bolt and the rebuild begins.

I would give Yaklich a shot from that group. The current players are likely to stick around with him. If not, a few will bolt and the rebuild begins.
Not that I have a finger on the pulse, but several articles have mentioned the strong support Howard has from both prev players and supports ... I may be all wrong, but it strikes me that if Yaklich or Cooley had wowed them, they would have called a PC and announced it ASAP ... but I've never been an AD.

Not that I have a finger on the pulse, but several articles have mentioned the strong support Howard has from both prev players and supports ... I may be all wrong, but it strikes me that if Yaklich or Cooley had wowed them, they would have called a PC and announced it ASAP ... but I've never been an AD.

I see Chris Mullin and Patrick Ewing results. He will recruit at a better clip initially but not sure about the x’s and o’s piece. Will he have the hunger/drive over a long period of time after playing in the pros? We’ll see.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

FROM MAIZENBREW:

I was going by the MLive article linked above. It sounds like yours has better sources. Howard would be an interesting choice to replace Belein. You are basically doing a 180 from one of the greatest X/O coaches in the game to an ex NBA guy with no experience who will likely need to pull elite talent like Penny at Memphis to succeed......and even that is not a given.

Cooley is being called "a perfect fit" according to sources not named Do Dah Day. The connection is apparently through the search firm that UM is using, the lead of which is close with Cooley during their respective days at Boston College years back.

Sounds like it is down to Cooley, Yaklich and Howard. Decision supposed to be next Monday.

Turning the page, what are they going to have back as far as players next year? The cupboard seems pretty bare, especially if Wilson goes elsewhere as expected. Iggy sounds like he's staying in the draft. Poole is staying in the draft.

Yaklitch interviewed last week for a spot on Smart's staff in Texas.
Again, with my ear pressed to the ground, reading the vibes from deep within, that was a peremptory move to position himself well if Shaka indeed came to M as well as position himself well if neither he nor Shaka got the job. Highly strategic move.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT