ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Ohio State promotes Jake Diebler to full-time coach...

It seems like such a risky move to hire a still unproven guy to a high-major program.

Yeah he did great during his run as interim, but there's so many unknowns for him still, why take that risk?

I say go for someone who's at least proven themselves a bit more

He showed himself to be a leader of young men and & getting his teams ready to play. As long as his team is not raided by NIL bandits, it would not surprise me if they are not B10 reg season champs next year.

Honestly expected they would go big name fishing for their next hire, but Diebler certainly did about everything he could to earn a legitimate shot at the job. It is a bit of a gamble, but one with a great deal of possible upside.

It seems like such a risky move to hire a still unproven guy to a high-major program.

Yeah he did great during his run as interim, but there's so many unknowns for him still, why take that risk?

It's just an odd situation. The team had obviously quit on Holtman for some reason. Credit to him for turning the ship, but seems kind of crazy to give a guy a 5 year deal based off 1 month when they obviously didn't like the previous coach.

Another branch on that “other” Matt Painter coaching tree. 🤣
Woodson still has a job for going 3-1 vs Painter his first 2 years. Take those away and he is likely gone by now.

I wonder how FDUs annoying coach did this year too after his promotion?

ST Peters coach is doing OK at Seton Hall.

North Texas coach is doing well at Texas Tech.

Reactions: Lionheart1
He showed himself to be a leader of young men and & getting his teams ready to play. As long as his team is not raided by NIL bandits, it would not surprise me if they are not B10 reg season champs next year.
Putting together and/or keeping his roster is one thing he hasn't proven at this point and might be more important than actually coaching the team during the season.

He might do it but I was relieved to see this hire. He's got a lot to prove still and many of these interim hires don't work out well long-term. OSU is a sleeping giant and not sure this hire helps wake that up.

Reactions: Roeder

Football school. Maybe they just figure they'll let him keep running and replace him when he gives them reason.

Did Lebron sign off on this? Rumors of LeBron telling OSU his favorites for coaches because he wants his son Bryce to go there

Putting together and/or keeping his roster is one thing he hasn't proven at this point and might be more important than actually coaching the team during the season.

He might do it but I was relieved to see this hire. He's got a lot to prove still and many of these interim hires don't work out well long-term. OSU is a sleeping giant and not sure this hire helps wake that up.

They have at of young talent. Whatever NIL leadership is there with the program better have their A game on, as I am sure they will be tested in terms of keeping their roster. But keep it, I think they vie for a championship next year. That is their immediate challenge as college basketball has a lot of NIL buzzards circling it seems.

I doubt OSU is going to be raided, guessing they can compete with the best of them. Does a guy like Thornton declare for the NBA? Not sure he’s on draft lists but he’s pretty good.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I doubt OSU is going to be raided, guessing they can compete with the best of them. Does a guy like Thornton declare for the NBA? Not sure he’s on draft lists but he’s pretty good.
None of their players on draft boards tmk. Thornton great and by next year those current frosh will be pretty good. As long as they get suitable replacements for Key and Battle they will be very competitive.

I see it as low risk. Football is King at OSU, he'll have a few years to prove himself and if he falls on his face no big buy out, no one complaining about getting rid of him. If he does well, just icing on the cake.

First Ohio native for the job since Randy Ayers in '89.

• Wow
Reactions: Tommaker
None of their players on draft boards tmk. Thornton great and by next year those current frosh will be pretty good. As long as they get suitable replacements for Key and Battle they will be very competitive.

Battle will be a big departure.....Royal came on late, and Gayle is a wildcard - a lot of untapped potential if he had a little more discipline, IMO.

Painter had done almost nothing when he got the job at Purdue

They have at of young talent. Whatever NIL leadership is there with the program better have their A game on, as I am sure they will be tested in terms of keeping their roster. But keep it, I think they vie for a championship next year. That is their immediate challenge as college basketball has a lot of NIL buzzards circling it seems.
It's not a question of if others will come after their players. That will happen. At Ohio State and everywhere else. Every season. Coaches that can manage it best and work it to their advantage will do the best. Perhaps they are confident Diebler can do that but he hasn't had the opportunity to demonstrate it so far. For a program with the resources to hire from a wide pool or candidates, that's a risk I wouldn't have taken.

Painter had done almost nothing when he got the job at Purdue
Purdue also doesn't have Ohio State's athletic department or NIL money. It worked out well for us and was an outstanding hire but that doesn't mean it wasn't a risk. It's one that Ohio State didn't have to take. It could work out for them though just like it has for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT