ADVERTISEMENT

Beilein

I had never even heard his name mentioned...never even knew he was a genuine candidate, much less had interest.

That is pretty crazy...I admittedly do not understand his decision. He was stellar at the college level...it will be interesting to see what he does in the NBA.

As a Purdue fan...it is welcome news.

Wonder if Fife becomes a candidate...he turned down Painter/Purdue to be the heir apparent to Izzo, so, it would be very interesting if he ends up instead in Ann Arbor.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I had never even heard his name mentioned...never even knew he was a genuine candidate, much less had interest.

That is pretty crazy...I admittedly do not understand his decision. He was stellar at the college level...it will be interesting to see what he does in the NBA.

Wonder if Fife becomes a candidate...he turned down Painter/Purdue to be the heir apparent to Izzo, so, it would be very interesting if he ends up instead in Ann Arbor.

can't imagine. That would be a huge step up. I imagine he needs a big mid-major, smaller B5 program first

Reactions: Do Dah Day

Unlike a certain other program, UM is rolling right now and I think will have proven P5 coaches lining up for that gig.

I am just shocked that he not only left for the NBA, but, that he left for Cleveland...

He likely would never admit it, but, maybe he would...but, I wonder if some of his decision was based on the state of the college game right now and frustration over the cheating with no penalties to/for anyone.

He was my second favorite coach in b10

Never minded rooting for his teams.
Someone else touched on it in the thread...he was a great coach, but, equally great just as a person.

His handling of the Austin Hatch matter was incredible...and genuine.

He was easy to root for, as were his teams...and they were fun to watch. The guy knows basketball and has proven it time and time again...maybe he will prove it once more.

I am just shocked that he not only left for the NBA, but, that he left for Cleveland...

He likely would never admit it, but, maybe he would...but, I wonder if some of his decision was based on the state of the college game right now and frustration over the cheating with no penalties to/for anyone.
He would probably never admit this either, but it had to be frustrating to watch Harbaugh and his staff be handed a king's ransom for Brady Hoke results while he had to fight to get his staff appropriate compensation.

Beliein is the best basketball coach Michigan has ever had.

I can imagine that the UoM fan base is feeling about like how a majority of us would if the news had been for CMP. I can only think this helps us in recruiting, at least for 2020 and 2021.

If only the Lakers would have hired Izzo, just think of all the crocodile tears in LA and the joy here ...

He would probably never admit this either, but it had to be frustrating to watch Harbaugh and his staff be handed a king's ransom for Brady Hoke results while he had to fight to get his staff appropriate compensation.

Beliein is the best basketball coach Michigan has ever had.
The odd thing is he didn’t wait for the draft lottery tomorrow night, to see if they would get Zion.

Reactions: DAG10

I think you're spot on about the state of college basketball and possibly one of the reasons JB is bolting for the NBA. I think Thad Matta was in the same boat/situation. JB and Matta were very honest coaches that refused to stoop to the Calipari/Sean Miller levels of cheating and both are now gone from the college BB game.

To answer an earlier question Zeb Jackson Point Guard from Ohio, but I do not know if he will ask to be released if he signed!

He is 66 so why not coach in the NBA before retirement especially if they made a good offer. Ann Arbor to Cleveland though?

Reactions: DannyGranger
I don't want to go into this rabbit hole (although I feel like it's more of an ant hole at this point), but this is why putting resources in YOUR people mean so much for a program like Purdue's.

Purdue's a great program, but if Painter was not a Purdue guy - we probably wouldn't keep him (and for the yahoos who over the past several years thought Shaka Smart was a brilliant hire, same thing - he'd be gone as soon as the next shiny object came along).

The important thing is to not take it for granted still. Painter may not consider most college jobs -- but he still can take the NBA route (he likes player development and Xs and Os....and isn't in love with the recruiting game).

Purdue needs to be taking aggressive steps right now to invest in basketball. Not that the time hasn't been right over the last several years, but doing big things for programs is SO dependent on timing. If we take big steps now -- Painter is 18 years younger than Beilein -- we can really cement Purdue as a powerhouse over the next generation almost.

I think you're spot on about the state of college basketball and possibly one of the reasons JB is bolting for the NBA. I think Thad Matta was in the same boat/situation. JB and Matta were very honest coaches that refused to stoop to the Calipari/Sean Miller levels of cheating and both are now gone from the college BB game.

To be fair, he's been flirting with the NBA for more than this past weekend. There was a lot of speculation last year he'd depart.

He's at retirement age - NBA coaching is a lot less time consuming than college. He has a 5 year deal and even if he gets fired, he can retire off of this contract. And yes, he may dislike recruiting these days, but you don't recruit at all in NBA - you just coach. But even if you don't mind recruiting, it's still something you don't have to do in the NBA - which leaves a lot more free time for you in the offseason.

And on the flip side, the NBA is also still the pinnacle of basketball. To win an NBA championship is probably more realistic than an NCAA.

Unlike a certain other program, UM is rolling right now and I think will have proven P5 coaches lining up for that gig.

True normally, but this is an awkward time to leave. Most of the other programs have had a full month to snatch up what would be considered the plan A guys. I wonder if they promote within for a 1 year deal as a try out deal or to find the right coach next year with proper time. Michigan was made an attractive job, but while Painter, Izzo, Holtman are still around, recruiting won’t be easy to just any coach. A wrong hire could really set Michigan back.

I would probably promote within for 1 year as a tryout just to make sure I got the correct hire. That may set you back one year with current recruits, but that is better than getting the wrong guys is it not?

True normally, but this is an awkward time to leave. Most of the other programs have had a full month to snatch up what would be considered the plan A guys. I wonder if they promote within for a 1 year deal as a try out deal or to find the right coach next year with proper time. Michigan was made an attractive job, but while Painter, Izzo, Holtman are still around, recruiting won’t be easy to just any coach. A wrong hire could really set Michigan back.

I would probably promote within for 1 year as a tryout just to make sure I got the correct hire. That may set you back one year with current recruits, but that is better than getting the wrong guys is it not?
I'd be knocking on Matta's door.

Reactions: TX4GB

My point was that guys who weren’t on the market at all might be interested in THIS job. If I’m UM, I go after Wright, Donovan, Stevens or Bennett to start. They have the money.

I would add Beard to that list. Pry him out of Texas Tech.

Texas Tech is a much better job than Michigan and if he wants the Texas job, leaving now would make zero sense.

My point was that guys who weren’t on the market at all might be interested in THIS job. If I’m UM, I go after Wright, Donovan, Stevens or Bennett to start. They have the money.

Unless Stevens is fired from Boston, there is no chance he would leave. Michigan also isn’t a better job than Villanova or Virginia. You can ask, sure, but if a blue blood like IU (tic) can’t pull those guys away, then no way Michigan can.

All jokes aside, the best that they can hope for would be Stevens to get fired from Boston and want to go back to coaching college right away. Donovan would be the next best option, but if you are Stevens or Donovan, would it be better to go back to college or stay pro? Another pro job will definitely open up.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
It's Wo's fault. He's a Cleveland fan.

I am a huge Cavs fan too, grew up in Akron. I have insider knowledge to a degree from some friends and he was nowhere on the radar. Mike Gansey our AGM played for Beilein at WVU and probably had allot to do with this hire.

Many are saying its Gilbert who did this because of the Michigain connection, but Gilbert is a MSU alumni and I don't think has any ties to UM.

The age (66) is a bit scary, but he is a top basketball mind, develops players and a class act, so for those reasons its a very good hire.

To be fair, he's been flirting with the NBA for more than this past weekend. There was a lot of speculation last year he'd depart.

He's at retirement age - NBA coaching is a lot less time consuming than college. He has a 5 year deal and even if he gets fired, he can retire off of this contract. And yes, he may dislike recruiting these days, but you don't recruit at all in NBA - you just coach. But even if you don't mind recruiting, it's still something you don't have to do in the NBA - which leaves a lot more free time for you in the offseason.

And on the flip side, the NBA is also still the pinnacle of basketball. To win an NBA championship is probably more realistic than an NCAA.

I wouldn't say NBA is less hours. You don't recruit, but there is a ton offseason stuff you have to do along with the front office.

But its all professionals and doesn't have the hypocrisy of the NCAA over you. I get why he wanted to go to a pro program, its all about coaching and developing talent. You don't have to pretend the schools actually give a crap about these kids educations. I know Beilien did because he kept that one kid on the team after his 2nd plane crash, but he was probably the only one at Michigan that cared.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT