ADVERTISEMENT

Beilein

Sounds like a Matt-Painter-to-Mizzou-until-Purdue-ponied-up kinda thing. Was probably never going to leave.

So, Bennet, Beard, Few, Marshall, Shaka, All the Pro coaches, White, LaVall, Barnes, Hurley, Crean .... almost all said no. Whew. Replacing a coach at Mich is hard?????

So, Bennet, Beard, Few, Marshall, Shaka, All the Pro coaches, White, LaVall, Barnes, Hurley, Crean .... almost all said no. Whew. Replacing a coach at Mich is hard?????
It's uncommon for a successful P5 coach to leave for another P5 job. Almost all P5 hires are from Mid to Low majors, Assistants, or coaches that don't currently have a job.

Reactions: indyogb
It's uncommon for a successful P5 coach to leave for another P5 job. Almost all P5 hires are from Mid to Low majors, Assistants, or coaches that don't currently have a job.
I'm just relating to
1. How much discussion there was that MI was a "better job" than X(TXTech), Y, Z ...
2. And all the assurances over the past four years that PU could fire Painter and get one of a list of great coaches.

And, without debating you, Shaka, Stevie A, Beard, Weber, Stallings all come to mind.

I guess Shaka and maybe Beard weren't P5

I'm just relating to
1. How much discussion there was that MI was a "better job" than X(TXTech), Y, Z ...
2. And all the assurances over the past four years that PU could fire Painter and get one of a list of great coaches.

And, without debating you, Shaka, Stevie A, Beard, Weber, Stallings all come to mind.
There is a big debate about P5 coaches leaving for another school all the time, but it hardly ever happens.

If Painter left for the NBA right now, we would not be hiring a successful P5 coach either. Most likely it would be an up and coming Mid Major coach.

Reactions: Boilerbuck
I think a lot of it has to do with timing. If the Michigan job had opened up 6 weeks ago it may have garnered more interest. But in addition to that I agree that P5 to P5 doesn't happen very often. I may do some research but my guess is it is limited to blueblood programs. Roy to NC, Self to KU to name a couple.

I think a lot of it has to do with timing. If the Michigan job had opened up 6 weeks ago it may have garnered more interest. But in addition to that I agree that P5 to P5 doesn't happen very often. I may do some research but my guess is it is limited to blueblood programs. Roy to NC, Self to KU to name a couple.
Buzz Williams from Va Tech to Texas A&M this year as well. It happens, but it doesn't happen often.

Reactions: Roeder
Barnes went from Clemson to Texas to Tennessee but he was fired from Texas right?

Last edited:
I'm just relating to

I guess Shaka and maybe Beard weren't P5
To be fair we might be able to hire a coach but without the "most beautiful campus on earth", "the most knowledgeable fans on earth", and 5 old mildewed bath towels in the rafters we'd never get Coach Phone-a-Friend, the Tan Man or 'Lil Archie to give us a sniff.

To be fair we might be able to hire a coach but without the "most beautiful campus on earth", "the most knowledgeable fans on earth", and 5 old mildewed bath towels in the rafters we'd never get Coach Phone-a-Friend, the Tan Man or 'Lil Archie to give us a sniff.
damn good thing ... carry on

Reactions: SIBoiler2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT