ADVERTISEMENT

B1G just wasn't good in 2022-2023

SCBoiler1

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2014
Reflecting back on the season, I'm not sure Purdue really overachieved, I just think the rest of the conference was worse than we thought. Six and eight in the Tourney. Just a lot of average teams that couldn't beat anyone on a consistent basis. It's what the NET ratings were telling us, the Tournament selection committee thought and many prognosticators knew.

Purdue was just a notch above helped along by a favorable schedule. Looking back our best win after December 1, was probably our 1 point win at Michigan State. Can't take away the early wins against Gonzaga, Duke, and Marquette (at home) but after that Purdue did nothing remarkable. We were 11-0 against the 5 worst teams in the conference and 7-5 against the rest. We were the best team in an average league but not by the margin the standings would have indicated.

Reflecting back on the season, I'm not sure Purdue really overachieved, I just think the rest of the conference was worse than we thought. Six and eight in the Tourney. Just a lot of average teams that couldn't beat anyone on a consistent basis. It's what the NET ratings were telling us, the Tournament selection committee thought and many prognosticators knew.

Purdue was just a notch above helped along by a favorable schedule. Looking back our best win after December 1, was probably our 1 point win at Michigan State. Can't take away the early wins against Gonzaga, Duke, and Marquette (at home) but after that Purdue did nothing remarkable. We were 11-0 against the 5 worst teams in the conference and 7-5 against the rest. We were the best team in an average league but not by the margin the standings would have indicated.

B1G hasn't been good in awhile. Since 2000 we have had 7-8 outlier teams make the NCAAT final game, but the conference as a whole suffers from MMA style of play & poor refs. This lowers the talent level of the wings and guards as some, not all, don't want to come to the B10 due to this style of play.

Reactions: Poprudy
B1G hasn't been good in awhile. Since 2000 we have had 7-8 outlier teams make the NCAAT final game, but the conference as a whole suffers from MMA style of play & poor refs. This lowers the talent level of the wings and guards as some, not all, don't want to come to the B10 due to this style of play.
totally agree w/ this reply, it hasn't been good for some time, I think we see competitive games between the teams and alot of people equate that w/ being a great conference. Slow plodding teams w/ stand around shooters and if some teams have 2 athletic guys they are usually the teams that win it.

….. and if some teams have 2 athletic guys they are usually the teams that win it.
Maybe not win in the B1G MMA but certainly stand a much better chance to advance further in the NCAA tournament.

Informal opinion poll results after all Big Ten teams eliminated:

Played really well:
Michigan State (7) (2-1)

Played well:
Penn State (10) (1-1)
Northwestern (7) (1-1)

Played decent/ok:
Maryland (8) (1-1)

Played below average/disappointing:
Indiana (4) (1-1)
Iowa (8) (0-1)
Illinois (9) (0-1)

Gadzooks/Heavens to Murgatroyd:
Purdue (1) (0-1)

Avg seed - 6.75 (7.57 w/o Purdue); cumulative record (6-8)

Played really well:
Michigan State (7) (2-1)

Played well:
Penn State (10) (1-1)
Northwestern (7) (1-1)

Played decent/ok:
Maryland (8) (1-1)

Indiana (4) (1-1)
Iowa (8) (0-1)
Illinois (9) (0-1)

Purdue (1) (0-1)

heavens-to-murgatroyd-snagglepuss.gif

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Most of the B1G was a 7-10 seed, giving an expected 2nd round foe of a 1 or 2. Wouldn't expect much better than what happened based on seeding.

Most of the B1G was a 7-10 seed, giving an expected 2nd round foe of a 1 or 2. Wouldn't expect much better than what happened based on seeding.

Conference records so far....

ACC5-4.555
American2-1.667
Big 128-5.615
Big East8-2.800
Big Ten6-8.429
Mountain West2-3.400
Pac-123-4.423
SEC9-7.563
West Coast4-1.800

So far the Big East, Big12 & SEC are the best of the major conferences. Even the lowly ACC is better than B10.

West coast conf is pretty much Gonzaga as usual.

Posters on here that just watch the B1G don't like hearing it and give you crap during the season when you bring it up......But there is no doubt the B1G is not good. Committee knew it and seeded the teams accordingly.

The conference as a whole needs to have an overhaul of style of play and refereeing. I know Fran gets a lot of grief on here, but he and the new Maryland coach are more diverse than the rest of the conference and we could use more of that. They just don't/didn't have the talent to make any waves in the tournament. If more teams would press (not just the last 5 minutes in desperation) throw a zone once in a while and fast break more it would benefit the conference as a whole. Get the refs to stop the mugging and MMA crap and we would maybe have some better results in March.

Played really well:
Michigan State (7) (2-1)

Played well:
Penn State (10) (1-1)
Northwestern (7) (1-1)

Played decent/ok:
Maryland (8) (1-1)

Indiana (4) (1-1)
Iowa (8) (0-1)
Illinois (9) (0-1)

Purdue (1) (0-1)

the top 3 you mentioned all have very good guards

The MSU Kansas State game was a great game to watch. Shot making, blocked shots, running, great assists. In the end MSU could not keep up. Much better game than big ten slugfests.

Posters on here that just watch the B1G don't like hearing it and give you crap during the season when you bring it up......But there is no doubt the B1G is not good. Committee knew it and seeded the teams accordingly.

The conference as a whole needs to have an overhaul of style of play and refereeing. I know Fran gets a lot of grief on here, but he and the new Maryland coach are more diverse than the rest of the conference and we could use more of that. They just don't/didn't have the talent to make any waves in the tournament. If more teams would press (not just the last 5 minutes in desperation) throw a zone once in a while and fast break more it would benefit the conference as a whole. Get the refs to stop the mugging and MMA crap and we would maybe have some better results in March.
also alot of posters give others some grief when we point out Purdue was lucky to win that one like Terps at Home or Wisky away, they say just be glad we won and move on. I get that a win is a win but it's full of deficientcies, like dreadful 3 point shooting , lousy FT shooting. , trouble w/ the press We're just pointing out that will cause a loss to a better team.

If anyone stayed up the Gonzaga/UCLA game was a good one. When you watch games like that, it's no wonder the B1G struggles. Different level of play and athleticism. We were fortunate to play Gonzaga early in the season.

I can't remember the name an ex coach who has been critical of the Big 10. A guest on Field Of 68 discussed BIG 10 and Purdue struggles. He said an issue with the Big 10 is almost every team plays the same exact style of basketball. As an example he pointed out in the Big East. Various teams play different styles of basketball on defense and offense. Some play zone all the time. Others play man to man D etc... This is likely to change once the Big 10 expands and adds all those new teams to the conference.

In recent years, the Big Ten has done well in the pre-season relative to the NCAAT, which tells me that either something about Big Ten is inhibiting development or that the teams are just constructed to peak early. I think that the physical style of play that is allowed is part of the problem. The Big 12 games, in particular, are more uptempo and free flowing. The SEC seems to have replaced the ACC as the league with the most elite athletes.

I can't remember the name an ex coach who has been critical of the Big 10. A guest on Field Of 68 discussed BIG 10 and Purdue struggles. He said an issue with the Big 10 is almost every team plays the same exact style of basketball. As an example he pointed out in the Big East. Various teams play different styles of basketball on defense and offense. Some play zone all the time. Others play man to man D etc... This is likely to change once the Big 10 expands and adds all those new teams to the conference.
I think that was LaVall Jordan; good points made.

It is without a doubt the most predictable conference of the P5's. Been saying it all year, get out of the B1G bubble and you see what a difference there is. We were fortunate in a couple ways. We played an easier schedule within the conference and we had the best player at playing the slow, plodding pace of the B1G.

Reactions: Boiler8285

Reflecting on the NCAA tournament, I don't know how anyone can draw a conclusion about who underachieved or overachieved. The only conclusion may be that the pollsters relied too much on historical bias about Blue Bloods and Power 5 conferences.

The parity makes for a fun tournament -- until you are on the losing end.

Reactions: PurdueDave

The NCAAT is proving that the Big 12 and the Big East are the best conferences this year. After that, arguments can be made for the SEC, Big 10, and ACC being the next best. Depends upon your criteria. MSU, Northwestern, and Penn St. all played much better than their seed and could have done better with a better seed. After those 3 and an OK performance by Maryland, the Big 10 was awful.

Reactions: Boiler8285

Shrews leaving Happy Valley is a huge loss for the B1G - his guard oriented style of play represented one of the better chances for a single team to pressure the rest of the conference into a more modern style that would translate into March. Iowa plays a similar style but their defense is so atrocious they're never going to represent a consistent threat in either the B1G or March.

It is without a doubt the most predictable conference of the P5's. Been saying it all year, get out of the B1G bubble and you see what a difference there is. We were fortunate in a couple ways. We played an easier schedule within the conference and we had the best player at playing the slow, plodding pace of the B1G.
took advantage of an easier schedule? yes similar to the football team

Shrews leaving Happy Valley is a huge loss for the B1G - his guard oriented style of play represented one of the better chances for a single team to pressure the rest of the conference into a more modern style that would translate into March. Iowa plays a similar style but their defense is so atrocious they're never going to represent a consistent threat in either the B1G or March.
Good for Shrews, was hoping for him to land there, don't want to see psu relevant at all

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT