ADVERTISEMENT

B10 best experienced players 24-25

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
This list is just a rough draft....read below and give us your own....
1. Braden Smith
2. Bruce Thornton
3. Ace Baldwin Jr.
4. Payton Sandfort
5. Dawson Garcia
6 TKR
7. Mack Mgbako
8. Malik Reanu
9. Owen Freeman
10. Julian Reece

There are many, many transfers and players from New teams that likely push many of these top 10 down a peg or two.....likely several pegs. Not to mention frosh that few know anything about. I likely totally MISSED a star or 2, just doing this off the top of my head....

But I think those top 2 should be 1 or 2 on most everyone's list. Love to have either to anchor my team.

I am sure 3-10+ can be moved up or down....as you feel. Notice, I think TKR is poised for a massive breakout year.

Someone that has studied these transfer guys and NEW teams can give us a WAY more complete list. @boilerzz or site guys prob could help us out with a better list....

Anyway....your thoughts....

Last edited:
1. Braden Smith
2. Bruce Thornton
3. Ace Baldwin Jr.
4. Payton Sandfort
5. Dawson Garcia
6 TKR
7. Mack Mgbako
8. Malik Reanu
9. Owen Freeman
10. Julian Reece

There are many, many transfers and players from New teams that likely push many of these top 10 down a peg or two.....likely several pegs. Not to mention frosh that few know anything about. I likely totally MISSED a star or 2, just doing this off the top of my head....

But I think those top 2 should be 1 or 2 on most everyone's list. Love to have either to anchor my team.

I am sure 3-10+ can be moved up or down....as you feel. Notice, I think TKR is poised for a massive breakout year.

Someone that has studied these transfer guys and NEW teams can give us a WAY more complete list.

Gabe Cupps

1. Braden Smith
2. Bruce Thornton
3. Ace Baldwin Jr.
4. Payton Sandfort
5. Dawson Garcia
6 TKR
7. Mack Mgbako
8. Malik Reanu
9. Owen Freeman
10. Julian Reece

Someone that has studied these transfer guys and NEW teams can give us a WAY more complete list.

I hope Loyer justifies being on that list. He seems to have taken it to heart that he needs to get stronger. If he does, he could be a difference-maker for the season.

Reactions: northside100
I hope Loyer justifies being on that list. He seems to have taken it to heart that he needs to get stronger. If he does, he could be a difference-maker for the season.
I hope you’re right. Personally tired of seeing him mop the floor.

I hope you’re right. Personally tired of seeing him mop the floor.
Yep. He has heard the complaints and seems determined to stop them.

I also hope to see Colvin quickly show he is one of the league's top returning players. I really enjoyed hearing him talk about being more than a 1-dimensional player, player lock-down defense, and being a playmaker.

Loyer prob is around 16-20 or so once new teams stars get added and transfers are considered. But honestly had him at 10 before I realized I was wrong & remembered a guy or two.

Anxious to see how good Colvin becomes there too....think he is going to explode into an NBA guy....But When??

Last edited:
Loyer prob is around 16-20 or so once new teams stars get added and transfers are considered. But honestly had him at 10 before I realized I was wrong & remembered a guy or two.

Anxious to see how good Colvin becomes there too....think he is going to explode into an NBA guy....But When??
Colvin will leave after junior year to nba, IMO

Reactions: Boiler Buck
1. Braden Smith
2. Bruce Thornton
3. Ace Baldwin Jr.
4. Payton Sandfort
5. Dawson Garcia
6 TKR
7. Mack Mgbako
8. Malik Reanu
9. Owen Freeman
10. Julian Reece

Someone that has studied these transfer guys and NEW teams can give us a WAY more complete list. @boilerzz or site guys prob could help us out with a better list....

I think you’re being harsh for MR, he was third team all big ten with Thornton. I do think he will struggle some with ballo but it doesn’t change he’s probably the 3rd best experienced player in the B1G.

Reactions: Roeder
I think you’re being harsh for MR, he was third team all big ten with Thornton. I do think he will struggle some with ballo but it doesn’t change he’s probably the 3rd best experienced player in the B1G.
Yea I agree the 3-10 guys can be moved around. I have no problem with that at all.

I did think Ballo would change the dynamic and give more balance to the front line scoring of iu.....but got to admit I don't give iu alot of thought.....lol....so defer to those that do.

Last edited:
Did Colvin ever even dribble the ball last season? Like at all? I can see no comparison whatsoever to Ivey.
Yes. But Myles was on a 100000x better team and his role was not similar to Jaden’s his Frosh year. Colvin has the elite athleticism that Jaden has/had. He’s not as quick, or that we’ve seen, but is a better jumper at this point (remember Myles is young for his class) and his shot is waaaayyy smoother than Jaden’s ever was in his 2 year career.

Myles should do well this year and do really well next and be gone after that to the nba.

Yes. But Myles was on a 100000x better team and his role was not similar to Jaden’s his Frosh year. Colvin has the elite athleticism that Jaden has/had. He’s not as quick, or that we’ve seen, but is a better jumper at this point (remember Myles is young for his class) and his shot is waaaayyy smoother than Jaden’s ever was in his 2 year career.

Myles should do well this year and do really well next and be gone after that to the nba.
His jump shot is obviously way better than Ivey. That’s not even close. But he’s not really a similar player to him at all at this point.

His jump shot is obviously way better than Ivey. That’s not even close. But he’s not really a similar player to him at all at this point.
He hasn’t had to be the similar player to him. He’s also a year behind in age at this point compared to Jaden so his body is behind. The potential is there

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Big meh on Reneau for me. Every time I watched him, seemed like he was taking bad shots , not passing to open teammates, turning it over, or playing mediocre defense. Definitely talented, but doesn’t seem like he plays winning basketball… i.e. low basketball IQ…if there is such a thing…

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Big meh on Reneau for me. Every time I watched him, seemed like he was taking bad shots , not passing to open teammates, turning it over, or playing mediocre defense. Definitely talented, but doesn’t seem like he plays winning basketball… i.e. low basketball IQ…if there is such a thing…
Agreed. Hasn’t developed that much. Commits dumb fouls (so adding to your low iq)…he averaged like 4 fouls a game the last month - month and a half last season. Doesn’t put much effort into rebounding. Maybe he ll be better improved but a big MEH from me too on him.

Not similar in style and skillset, but just seeing the potential knowing he will blowup and it will be like a light switch. Colvin has potential to be a great defender. Once that clicks it will be hard to keep him off the court.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Yes, he was in foul trouble for boneheaded fouls too.

…he averaged like 4 fouls a game the last month - month and a half

Reneau's defense and foul trouble became an issue after his mid season ankle/calf injury no doubt.

Against UConn early in the season he was the best player on the court for 2/3 the game, so something to build on. Not having a PG the bulk of the last two seasons due to injury probably didn't help Reneau either.

Reneau's defense and foul trouble became an issue after his mid season ankle/calf injury no doubt.

Against UConn early in the season he was the best player on the court for 2/3 the game, so something to build on. Not having a PG the bulk of the last two seasons due to injury probably didn't help Reneau either.
Who was the injured PG?

No, he wasn’t. You keep saying this. He was not at all. He may have been for the first 5 min as everyone settled in.

If Xavier Johnson played a full season and not grabbed other dudes nuts, Reneau still wouldn’t be that good.

Prior to the midseason injury, do you think it’s a lack of motor that keeps him from consistently playing as well as he did for part of the UConn game? Or did he just play above his head for part of that game?

1. Braden Smith
2. Bruce Thornton
3. Ace Baldwin Jr.
4. Payton Sandfort
5. Dawson Garcia
6 TKR
7. Mack Mgbako
8. Malik Reanu
9. Owen Freeman
10. Julian Reece

Any list that doesn’t have three of the top five and seven of the top ten players in the conference as IU guys lacks credibility. That roster is loaded.

Any list that doesn’t have three of the top five and seven of the top ten players in the conference as IU guys lacks credibility. That roster is loaded.

Could be right. I just don't follow iu. Even though I know your post is in jest. Lol

Heard on here they bought several transfers. But waiting for someone else to add in all the transfers. Also the New teams players need to be added.

Have at it. You are fairly knowledgeable. I think that list would be good reading.

Last edited:
Could be right. I just don't follow iu.

Herd on here they bought several transfers. But waiting for someone else to add in all the transfers.

Have at it. You are fairly knowledgeable. I think that list would be good reading.
I’m pretty sure that was TIC. The list is returning players only and the only ones eligible are Mgbako, Renau, Cupps, Galloway, and Leal. Only 2 of those guys likely start and those 2 are on the list.

I’m pretty sure that was TIC. The list is returning players only and the only ones eligible are Mgbako, Renau, Cupps, Galloway, and Leal. Only 2 of those guys likely start and those 2 are on the list.
Yes it was Just added that.....got me pre-edit.

But want someone like Northside or boilerzz or anyone who has a handle on the transfers and new teams to revise the list. Have @ it ....

Last edited:
Reactions: POTFHBTFU
The fact that he completely slipped my mind probably proves my next sentence false. Galloway should be considered on the Top Returnee list. He would be much better had he received coaching, but he's a good player who plays with heart.

Ok I’ll bite and submit a list of top returning players:
Braden Smith
TKR
Fletcher Loyer
Ty Berry
Brooks Barnheiser
Bruce Thornton
Dawson Garcia
Juwan Gary
Brice Williams
Owen Freeman
Payton Sandfort
Malik Reneau
McKenzie Mgbako
Trey Galloway ( not sure he starts this year)
Julian Reese
Ace Baldwin Jr
Jaiden Akins
John Blackwell
Max Klesmit

Not in any particular order and doesn’t include anticipatedbreakout players

Based on what? Their best player is Ballo, rated 44 in the computers rankings, is actually 6'-10" can't shoot past 5' and cannot make a FT. Ballo played for Arizona where the talent around him was top 10. Ballo is actually a downgrade from Ware, I mean if he had any skill he would be in the league, but instead is a five college player. I like Rice, but does not shoot the three, Carlyle is rated over 1000 in the computer metrics and played on bad Stanford team. Galloway is their highest rated returning guard. Their forwards can score, but can't guard and both are bad rebounders and slow! Their depth is very thin and have no one who shoots over 40% from three! I think Woody Wood Pecker will have a tough time getting them to gel. Again it looks like their schedule is going to be cupcake city! Maybe top 20, but LOADED! Loaded usually means top 5 in the country not top 5 in the BT!

Based on what? Their best player is Ballo, rated 44 in the computers rankings, is actually 6'-10" can't shoot past 5' and cannot make a FT. Ballo played for Arizona where the talent around him was top 10. Ballo is actually a downgrade from Ware, I mean if he had any skill he would be in the league, but instead is a five college player. I like Rice, but does not shoot the three, Carlyle is rated over 1000 in the computer metrics and played on bad Stanford team. Galloway is their highest rated returning guard. Their forwards can score, but can't guard and both are bad rebounders and slow! Their depth is very thin and have no one who shoots over 40% from three! I think Woody Wood Pecker will have a tough time getting them to gel. Again it looks like their schedule is going to be cupcake city! Maybe top 20, but LOADED! Loaded usually means top 5 in the country not top 5 in the BT!

I took his/her post as sarcasm
But love your enthusiasm in your slam of iu

Last edited:
They clearly have the best frontcourt in the Big Ten and maybe in the country with Ballo and Reneau. Throw in Mbako as a big wing, who is likely a lottery pick, and you easily have the most talented 3 through 5 in the country. Rice is an absolute stud and a winner and throw in Galloway, Leal and Cupps, who could surprise people and push Smith for first team all BT at PG and you've easily got the best overall roster in the conference.

Could be right. I just don't follow iu. Even though I know your post is in jest. Lol

Heard on here they bought several transfers. But waiting for someone else to add in all the transfers. Also the New teams players need to be added.

Too much work for me my friend, I thought your list was pretty good.

Ok I’ll bite and submit a list of top returning players:
Braden Smith
TKR
Fletcher Loyer
Ty Berry
Brooks Barnheiser
Bruce Thornton
Dawson Garcia
Juwan Gary
Brice Williams
Owen Freeman
Payton Sandfort
Malik Reneau
McKenzie Mgbako
Trey Galloway ( not sure he starts this year)
Julian Reese
Ace Baldwin Jr
Jaiden Akins
John Blackwell
Max Klesmit

Not in any particular order and doesn’t include anticipatedbreakout players
I was hoping it was in order when I first read it. That would be an awesome take :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT