ADVERTISEMENT

Atrocious

Ya know I was thinking about that. My first thought was that Braden was too short to gover over the top of the zone, but a couple of times . Not sure how tall Hoiberg is, but he appears to be short. Nebraska swung it quickly on teh second pass and hit the diagonal pass and to be quite honest I was thinking was Rutgers not tuned in or did that pass just have more room and get there quicker...even from Hoiberg? I was mostly watching to see if Nebraska gives it away since I caught it with about 10 minutes to go.

I think Rutgers may have been in a 1-2-2 or odd front, but I'm unsure since Purdue wasn't playing. We know Maryland has ran the 2-2-1 (which fell out of flavor for a few years). AGainst any zone...or zone press. I personally prefer to put people where nobody is. So odd fronts have 2 with onelagging behind the other until across half court if reversal is needed and a trap may be in play.

In all zones you like to attack the middle and look opposite...many times a 45 degree pass. If you start by placing people in teh gaps...you are already causing the zone to shift and match up with your alignment somewhat. Maryland is not spread out and somewhat tight I was thinking covering up the middle of the floor to invite you up the side where the side line as usual is in play. If you get the ball in the middle, he needs to pass quickly because two are coming up on both sides of him and waiting for Fletcher and Braden to get just over the half court line may leave little on the clock. Course if you break it quick...who has the ball and can that person attack successfully. Zach as great as he is...is still slow compared to some and if you can get it across and attack without some amount of success, you have eliminated Zach's ability since you are playing without him. Soooo, there are reasons other than to get TOs to employ a zone press such as to eliminate the time that Zach could get the ball.

Years ago I asked Vince Edwards if they did this and that in attacking various zone presses and his answer was...we've tried all that. Sometimes you know what you want to do and what the other team is trying to do and you just have to have the players make it happen. We shall see tomorrow, but hopefully Purdue is focused and handles the press just fine. Make your shots and the team plays against Purdue's better defense and may not be able to set up a zone press as much.
The Shelbyville HS coach, MANY years ago, inbounded the pass to (Zach) and let them set the trap. Then (Zach) would hold the ball high and look over the guards who trapped him. He would then pass out of the trap and his team would have a 4on 3 with their guards and forwards running the floor. --- Just sayin'

Reactions: tjreese
The Shelbyville HS coach, MANY years ago, inbounded the pass to (Zach) and let them set the trap. Then (Zach) would hold the ball high and look over the guards who trapped him. He would then pass out of the trap and his team would have a 4on 3 with their guards and forwards running the floor. --- Just sayin'
Oh "if" you can trust your big to be a good passer like Brad Miller, then yes that would be great.....AND keep your Big perhaps running less. Can Zach do that? I don't know, but yes the open court opportunities without the set D would be wonderful...all about whether Zach can do that ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT