ADVERTISEMENT

Atrocious

I wonder with the shot clock creating more quick scoring opportunities if that also increases the number of bad calls or missed calls. There is a lot to see so quicky that I can understand how the number of bad calls might be worse today than a long time ago. Seems very plausible to me...
Could be?? I know the NBA has been having issues as well. You might be correct with the speed of the game today and how most sports are geared for a faster pace and offensive oriented game that the human eye and/or the age of official's? Can't keep up.

I mean. I'm 48 and if I don't have my readers while out to eat. I can screw the whole table up😂

Trying to see what you see. Zona just lost to a soft Stanford team(no tourney), Bama got blasted by Oklahoma(no tourney), Illinois beat Texas with their 3' & 4's. Kansas hasn't been great and has had a lot of close games as well. So, if you are equating close games to being "tough" well we have shown that we can be tough.
I'm not equating close games to being tough - I'm looking at the players on the floor. We don't have anyone who can slow down, much less stop, Bradley or Miller from Bama; Ramey is lanky and athletic - it took Tubelis getting in major foul trouble, on the road, for Stanford to pull that off; Illinois has the pieces to beat anyone on a good day; nobody from our roster could slow down Wilson on even his average day. We need long athletic, tough dudes.

I'm not equating close games to being tough - I'm looking at the players on the floor. We don't have anyone who can slow down, much less stop, Bradley or Miller from Bama; Ramey is lanky and athletic - it took Tubelis getting in major foul trouble, on the road, for Stanford to pull that off; Illinois has the pieces to beat anyone on a good day; nobody from our roster could slow down Wilson on even his average day. We need long athletic, tough dudes.
Just because your team wasn't tough enough to handle Zona. Doesn't mean Purdue isn't and quit saying "our".

• Love
Reactions: TopSecretBoiler
Could be?? I know the NBA has been having issues as well. You might be correct with the speed of the game today and how most sports are geared for a faster pace and offensive oriented game that the human eye and/or the age of official's? Can't keep up.

I mean. I'm 48 and if I don't have my readers while out to eat. I can screw the whole table up😂
my eyes needed readers around 40 or so. There is just soooooo much jammed packed with the few seconds allowed that there is tooooo much going on to see what is needed. Isolating Zach as an example where there is a post and a repost allows the ref to see Zach better than quick arms a swinging and a double doing it. Could you imagine one feed after another for 25 seconds rather than 6 or so how it would draw the officials eyes to be more focused on the post play?

Reactions: Poprudy
Just because your team wasn't tough enough to handle Zona. Doesn't mean Purdue isn't and quit saying "our".
Thanks for your contribution - let's continue to embrace mediocrity...as always, criticism on this board is not allowed. #sheeple

Thanks for your contribution - let's continue to embrace mediocrity...as always, criticism on this board is not allowed. #sheeple
do you really think "mediocrity" is the real descriptive word to use in attempting to describe a team that almost the whole season has been rated number 1...a team that has lost 3 games...all of which a couple of things different it wins some of those...or all of those. I rarely see teams beat a team that is viewed as "mediocrity" and then storm the court if they beat the team that is mediocre. Matter of fact I can't recall ever seeing that. Disappointed, okay I understand. However, this is very much a team filled with youth

do you really think "mediocrity" is the real descriptive word to use in attempting to describe a team that almost the whole season has been rated number 1...a team that has lost 3 games...all of which a couple of things different it wins some of those...or all of those. I rarely see teams beat a team that is viewed as "mediocrity" and then storm the court if they beat the team that is mediocre. Matter of fact I can't recall ever seeing that. Disappointed, okay I understand. However, this is very much a team filled with youth
Mediocrity in March. We sealed our fates this summer when we sat on our hands when it was clear we needed more firepower at G.

He means "his" team which is IU.

Reactions: tjreese
Mediocrity in March. We sealed our fates this summer when we sat on our hands when it was clear we needed more firepower at G.
March isn't here. Those games hopefully are on neutral courts. What do you think will be different that what this team has faced with officials and teams or do you expect a lot of swallowing the whistles which may happen...or the teams do something different than what Purdue has faced. I don't know what to expect other than ref might allow a lot of stuff to go on against Zach. Team may or may not shoot well. Hope no press is anymore effective than we see in Maryland after spending more focus on it. I have no idea what to expect other than Purdue needs to play solid the first three games and then a week of really playing well. If Purdue can win at Maryland that is a bigger win than the loss at Northwestern even though they count the same in teh standings

It was a typical road game in the B1G. I see it through black and gold glasses, so of course I think NW was getting away with stuff on D, most of their doubles on Zach violated the cylinder rule, etc.

At the end of the day though, Purdue rolled over and lost, which worries me a bit. The Rutgers game was a dog fight, @ IU they fought hard in the 2nd half, but today Purdue just gave it away to an inferior opponent that just wanted it more in my opinion. Sure the refs let NW be physical, but this team lacked the mental toughness this afternoon to play through it. Maryland created this blueprint a couple weeks ago, so it's a great opportunity for the team to get better next Thursday.

My biggest gripe on the officiating today was the shot clock violation to start the 2nd half. How can that be on Purdue when the shot clock reset and the players can only go by what the clock is showing? To me you give Purdue the ball back with the difference of where the clock error occurred.

Outscored 17-3 in last 4 mins
That’s not on the refs…
Or is it? Purdue might have been in double bonus a lot sooner meaning every non call robbed them of a chance at two points that aren’t guarded. Had they gone to the line and missed 8 or 9 FTs down the stretch I’d say that’s not on the refs.

• Love
Reactions: Schnelk
LOL. You mean we should have gone to the transfer portal for new starting guards, right? Big fast guys who have great handles, and who could start on the best team in the country, right? That strategy has worked so well for Ohio $tate. You really don’t understand who is in the portal and what they can offer, nor do you understand the kids we do have and what they are capable of.

In fact, your posting style, your general ignorance of the game, and your timing (usually right after a loss) seems very familiar. What was your previous handle here?

I do not believe Newman will ever realize his potential. Clearly...he has the talent but never seems to live up to it. He reminds me of Wheeler. His play does not justify 22 minutes on the floor today...
Newman defended better than a lot of guys on the floor in white yesterday. Had a couple of rebounds, an assist, a steal, and 2 blocks (one of which was called a foul but was clean). Most importantly, no turnovers. A couple of open looks didn’t fall, but they were good looks and not forced. Newman wasn’t the problem yesterday.

Last edited:
Newman defended better than a lot of guys on the floor in white today. Had a couple of rebounds, an assist, a steal, and 2 blocks (one of which was called a foul but was clean). Most importantly, no turnovers today. A couple of open looks didn’t fall, but they were good looks and not forced. Newman wasn’t the problem today.
Indeed. I was very impressed by Newman's play last night. He was playing incredibly inspired defense, but just didn't get the benefit of the calls (unlike Audige on the other end of the floor). Although his shots weren't falling I couldn't be more proud of him. The dude is a fighter. Eventually, he will start connecting on those 3's.

It's simple, but that's my point. Some people here seem to think it's no big deal if the refs take your star player out of the game. Next man up . . . make some threes. That would be nice, but the reality is if refs take Edey out of the game Purdue is going to lose a lot more frequently.

I grew up in New Pal by the way. Nice to see a fellow dragon here.
So, what you're saying is Purdue is a 1 man team. If a team can neutralize Edey in the tourney, it'll be a short tourney run.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Purdue was up 8 with 4 to play.
Got outscored 19-5 down the stretch (or something like that). Missed something like 12 in a row.
That's on the players, not the refs.
The refs weren't missing wide open 3 pointers.
similar to the Terps at Purdue game, lot of bad calls w/ a game in the 50's but the difference was Terps guards shot 3 - 21 or 22 from 3. Also the wide open 3's killed us. If Jenk's didn't make the 3 3's vs osu that a loss. We've been flirting w/ disaster for awhile now w/ close games the Neb, Mich,osu, msu, maryland and have been fortunate

I think the most disconcerting thing here, is unfortunately, it's become pretty obvious we can not consistently hit from outside even though we have great looks.

Thought we were past that, but I guess not.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I think the most disconcerting thing here, is unfortunately, it's become pretty obvious we can not consistently hit from outside even though we have great looks.

Thought we were past that, but I guess not.
don't remember Loyer shooting from the outside except for that forced late in the shot clock one in the 2nd half

The officiating was awful, but sometimes that happens and Purdue needs to take from this game and get tougher. They are going to get mugged in the NCAA tournament and there will probably be a game where the refs are letting the opponent get away with it. Purdue will need to fight through it when it happens, fair or not.

It was a typical road game in the B1G. I see it through black and gold glasses, so of course I think NW was getting away with stuff on D, most of their doubles on Zach violated the cylinder rule, etc.

At the end of the day though, Purdue rolled over and lost, which worries me a bit. The Rutgers game was a dog fight, @ IU they fought hard in the 2nd half, but today Purdue just gave it away to an inferior opponent that just wanted it more in my opinion. Sure the refs let NW be physical, but this team lacked the mental toughness this afternoon to play through it. Maryland created this blueprint a couple weeks ago, so it's a great opportunity for the team to get better next Thursday.

My biggest gripe on the officiating today was the shot clock violation to start the 2nd half. How can that be on Purdue when the shot clock reset and the players can only go by what the clock is showing? To me you give Purdue the ball back with the difference of where the clock error occurred.
The shot clock thing didn't seem fair but did anyone catch the weird play late in one of the halves were Edey got fouled under our basket? It almost looked like an intentional foul. It was odd. There was a stoppage of play and then the announcers said something about the scoreboard still being set up for a womens game so it still showed 5 fouls when Northestern really had 6. At the time I thought to myself what if the guy from Northwestern thought there were only 5 fouls and took the foul on purpose thinking they still had a foul to give. Didn't matter. Purdue still shot the one and one.

On the road in the Big Ten teams lose games. I know this, I wasn’t expecting to be 12-3 in the league at this point. Purdue’s guards played bad today, if they play like this they’ll lose in the sweet 16 again, did many have them going that far in the preseason? Look, I love Purdue hoops, been a major part of my life for probably 40 years, when they play bad the losses don’t hurt that much. As for fouls in the tourney, they’ll call them more than the Big Ten does, Zach will shoot lots of free throws, Purdue’s success will depend on turnovers and outside shooting, both weren’t good today.
Also need to make free throws when we get there. A few games we lost we shot terrible from the line.

Northwestern shot 18% from three and we still lost.

Guys from Purdue not named Edey were 10 for 37 (27%). Our 1, 2 and 3s were 4 for 23 from the field (17%). I didn't see any "no calls" on shots coming from our guards.

Shots by the guy who everyone is complaining about being beat up went 7-10 and shot 13 free throws. That means Edey only took 3 shots that didn't go in where a foul wasn't called. I know there is a lot of other opportunities for fouls to be called but come on.

Purdue didn't have its best game. Accept it and move on.

Reactions: bonefish1
The officiating was awful, but sometimes that happens and Purdue needs to take from this game and get tougher. They are going to get mugged in the NCAA tournament and there will probably be a game where the refs are letting the opponent get away with it. Purdue will need to fight through it when it happens, fair or not.
Relying on the officials to call fouls and either get you to the line or get the other team in foul trouble is a poor offensive strategy, but it seems like that's what a lot of posters here think.
The bottom line is, the officials aren't going to call every foul committed on Edey. Hell, they might not call 50%. So, you either adapt play to how the officials are calling the game, or you bitch and moan about the bad officiating and blame a loss on that instead of players not executing.

Northwestern shot 18% from three and we still lost.

Guys from Purdue not named Edey were 10 for 37 (27%). Our 1, 2 and 3s were 4 for 23 from the field (17%). I didn't see any "no calls" on shots coming from our guards.

Shots by the guy who everyone is complaining about being beat up went 7-10 and shot 13 free throws. That means Edey only took 3 shots that didn't go in where a foul wasn't called. I know there is a lot of other opportunities for fouls to be called but come on.

Purdue didn't have its best game. Accept it and move on.
When you are held mauled and pushed trying to get open or pass, it effects everything

Jenkins took a 3 from the corner that fell real short. He immediately looked at the ref and indicated he has been hit on the elbow. The trajectory of the shot would indicate that David had a good argument. So there’s at least 1.
90% of players who miss badly claim they got fouled. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. But there were at least 6 WIDE OPEN 3's, where an NU player wasn't within 6 feet, that Purdue missed.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
90% of players who miss badly claim they got fouled. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. But there were at least 6 WIDE OPEN 3's, where an NU player wasn't within 6 feet, that Purdue missed.
Meh, seems pretty obvious when you watch it that the NW player clearly prevents his arm from following through, but you’re probably right that a guy who’s made over 300 3 pointers in his career usually just throws lasers that barely hit the underside of the rim and then asks for a foul.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT