ADVERTISEMENT

Assertiveness from Mathias

boilerpt

All-American
May 2, 2003
I loved seeing Dakota looking for his shot today. We have at least 3 on the roster capable of that type of performance on any given night. I hope to see the leash loosened a bit. We're a much better team when we have them looking to score and not just thinking feed, feed, feed the post.

Great post game interview with him. Very smart. Wants to win, wants to show he can win. I like this kid a lot, always have.
As a side note, CMP said the team practiced hard against the press all week LOL.

Great post game interview with him. Very smart. Wants to win, wants to show he can win. I like this kid a lot, always have.
As a side note, CMP said the team practiced hard against the press all week LOL.
It's pretty hard in practice to simulate the kind of defense that Maryland was playing late with Layman on point. Purdue actually looked fine against the press before Layman was moved to the front. The same plays that looked bad today during that stretch might have looked great in practice.

And I'm not saying he should be playing, I'm just stunned that he has declined that much.

If you told me during his Frosh season that he wouldn't even be playing his JR year I would have called you crazy. Everyone was so high on his potential. Oh well.

Dakota for President '16

The potential is there, he just hasn't done anything with it. I'm not surprised he's found a spot on the bench. He doesn't have anything that Mathias and Cline don't, and they are better passers. Plus, and I expect to get blasted for saying it, he hasn't shown himself to have the mental toughness that you'd want in a big game.

It's pretty hard in practice to simulate the kind of defense that Maryland was playing late with Layman on point. Purdue actually looked fine against the press before Layman was moved to the front. The same plays that looked bad today during that stretch might have looked great in practice.
+1000

The potential is there, he just hasn't done anything with it. I'm not surprised he's found a spot on the bench. He doesn't have anything that Mathias and Cline don't, and they are better passers. Plus, and I expect to get blasted for saying it, he hasn't shown himself to have the mental toughness that you'd want in a big game.

I couldn't agree more. The kid has potential, but has no idea what a good shot, or bad shot looks like. The team has too much shooting talent for him. He has nothing that Cline or Dakota have and they play much smarter. I think Stephens spent too much time reading about how awesome he was shooting, and thought he could just shoot anytime from any place on the court. It's sad but he's just not good enough to be on the floor.

Reactions: DICKSTER
I couldn't agree more. The kid has potential, but has no idea what a good shot, or bad shot looks like. The team has too much shooting talent for him. He has nothing that Cline or Dakota have and they play much smarter. I think Stephens spent too much time reading about how awesome he was shooting, and thought he could just shoot anytime from any place on the court. It's sad but he's just not good enough to be on the floor.

That's a bit of a reach.........no reason to slam the kid

Stephens is IMO a better defender than Mathias and Cline, so I would not say he has nothing those guys don't. But Mathias and Cline have shown they can more consistently make shots when we need them in big games. I still hope to see Stephens turn it on and have a great senior year next year, but I think he's a casualty this season of the other two separating themselves, and his minutes and shot attempts will be few compared to the past.

That's a bit of a reach.........no reason to slam the kid

Not a slam. Just my personal opinion. I think he's taken so many bad shots, so many of what I consider just dumb shots...shots that I think defy common sense that he just thinks he has a green light in any situation and any time. JMHO. There is no law you have to agree. No law that I have to say what everyone likes. But, it's my opinion.

Not a slam. Just my personal opinion. I think he's taken so many bad shots, so many of what I consider just dumb shots...shots that I think defy common sense that he just thinks he has a green light in any situation and any time. JMHO. There is no law you have to agree. No law that I have to say what everyone likes. But, it's my opinion.

True, and I have no problem with your opinion........but how you stated it was a slam on the kid.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
It's nice to know that the slipper fits our foot too. We have all seen the game where an unknown comes off the bench and goes 6 for 6 from 3-pt land, and kills us. It's nice to know we can do the same to someone else! Thanks Dakota.

:cool:
like who are you talking about that did that to us?

Imagine if the KS experiment wasn't in place and the coach just let the best players play. where Mathias would be. As the press showed, PG is still a huge concern, but this team has a chance to move out of a first round game if they play the right guys.

Wow. That really escalated. Back to topic, I've been waiting for Mathias to have a game like this for two years. Hopefully from now on he's completely healthy.

As for Stephens, it's disappointing for sure. I was a big backer of his coming into the season, but he just seems to have regressed in his shooting.

Did you see when they poured water on Mathias though? Stephens was right there, loving every minute of it. He's a boilermaker 100%. And he's been through a lot this year. I hope so much he has a happy, successful senior year. Although there's still a handful of games this year he can impact.

Tell us more about how the officials always screw us...every game....every possession....both ends of the court.....world without end.

Last 5 games:
MSU was called for 9 more (Home)
Mich was called for 3 less (Road)
N'Western was called for 12 more (Home)
IU called for 4 more (Road!!)
Maryland was called for 4 more (Home)

But, we get hosed every play!!! Waaaaa! LOL

Yeah, because the number of fouls/missed calls sure tells the story right?
You are taking this way too seriously.......loosen up the panties.........were you an ex official or something? That would explain it.
Imagine this.......fans complain about officiating........wow, who would of thought? Especially when the officiating is poor or inconsistent.
I'll tell you what, so as not to clog up any more of this boards time with this disagreement.........let's just agree to disagree, novel idea eh? If that makes you happy, great........if not, well I'm moving on.........with a keen eye on the officiating as always LOL

Yeah, because the number of fouls/missed calls sure tells the story right?
You are taking this way too seriously.......loosen up the panties.........were you an ex official or something? That would explain it.
Imagine this.......fans complain about officiating........wow, who would of thought? Especially when the officiating is poor or inconsistent.
I'll tell you what, so as not to clog up any more of this boards time with this disagreement.........let's just agree to disagree, novel idea eh? If that makes you happy, great........if not, well I'm moving on.........with a keen eye on the officiating as always LOL

You could have done that last night. I'd have been fine. And, I'm confident you'll have a "keen" eye on officiating...if that (keen) means think every call should go our way...and whine when it doesn't. LOL.

You could have done that last night. I'd have been fine. And, I'm confident you'll have a "keen" eye on officiating...if that (keen) means think every call should go our way...and whine when it doesn't. LOL.

If it's a bad call......I will say it. The officiating has been inconsistent for sure. True story.
I'd have been fine as well, if my opinion was accepted, like you want yours to be. But you had to poke the bear.
BTFU!!!!

I loved seeing Dakota looking for his shot today. We have at least 3 on the roster capable of that type of performance on any given night. I hope to see the leash loosened a bit. We're a much better team when we have them looking to score and not just thinking feed, feed, feed the post.
Purdue definitely is...when they are hitting. I understand what you are saying and you have a legitimate thought, but Purdue must always remember who and what will take them...and still not fixate on it to the detriment of the team...

So glad Mathias finally got more minutes back (and hill)!
I was frustrated toward the beginning when he subbed out after making his first shot.
Glad cmp kept him in once he really warmed up.
He may not be the greatest defender, but he gets more than his share of ticky-tack calls against him.

If it's a bad call......I will say it. The officiating has been inconsistent for sure. True story.
I'd have been fine as well, if my opinion was accepted, like you want yours to be. But you had to poke the bear.
BTFU!!!!

I tried to tell you......I'm a bear poker. It's what I do. LOL. Both opinions are acceptable. Disagree....just don't make "me" the subject of your rebuttal and everything will be cool. Or.......I promise you.....I'll poke the bear again. LOL

I tried to tell you......I'm a bear poker. It's what I do. LOL. Both opinions are acceptable. Disagree....just don't make "me" the subject of your rebuttal and everything will be cool. Or.......I promise you.....I'll poke the bear again. LOL

Just don't poke the bear in the game thread again.........or I may have to poke back LOL. You see I don't like being the subject of your dislike either. Cool.

"I loved seeing Dakota looking for his shot today. We have at least 3 on the roster capable of that type of performance on any given night."

I assume that you're referring to players that aren't part of the BIG 3 (Hammons, Haas, Swanigan)? Edwards, Davis, and Mathias is your take on that, I'm guessing? I would add Cline as well because he's capable of getting hot with his shot (think game at Pitt earlier this season).

Just don't poke the bear in the game thread again.........or I may have to poke back LOL. You see I don't like being the subject of your dislike either. Cool.

I can guarantee you 100% I will poke the bear if your response to any of my comments, at any time, in any thread, is with "me" being the subject. That's just a fact. You may as well prepare for that. If you wish to disagree with a comment I post...fine...make the topic of your comment "your opinion". I don't initiate, but, I will retaliate. And read this line carefully....I do not dislike you. I don't dislike anyone here. And, I don't take much here too seriously. If you think I get bent out of shape about comments here....you've mistaken my context. This is a great place to read and bounce ideas around. And that's what I expect...nothing more.

And I guarantee you if you come at me in game thread, or any other thread, you will get the pit bull.
I don't dislike you either, hell I don't even know you. But you did "initiate" the heat in game thread.....and it got my back up.

i'm sure he knows more about good and bad shots than you do.

And I guarantee you if you come at me in game thread, or any other thread, you will get the pit bull.
I don't dislike you either, hell I don't even know you. But you did "initiate" the heat in game thread.....and it got my back up.

No dude. You have a bad memory or you're lying your ass off. My initial comment was....and I quote, "Complaining about officiating getting old." Because it's all some of you wanted to do, whine about calls. You got your panties in a bunch and responded with...and I quote, "what ever bro.........it's your world LOL". Don't walk your comment back or act innocent. You initiated and took it to the personal level. From that point all I cared about was poking the bear. And, please don't kid yourself into thinking I'm worried about some "pit bull". LOL. That means nothing to me. LOL

i'm sure he knows more about good and bad shots than you do.

I know when shot after shot misses, early in the shot clock, off balance, not squared up, sideways...bad.....and now he's parked on the bench with Cline and Mathias taking and making shots, deep in the clock, squared up not circus attempts....good.... But, that is JMHO. LOL

So you weren't referring to me, and a few others, for voicing their opinion about the officiating......in the game thread, of all places? You're full of shit. Believe me, you have no idea what a pit bull is capable of........and it shows. Bring it........don't sing it man LOL.

"So you weren't referring to me, and a few others, for voicing their opinion about the officiating......in the game thread, of all places? You're full of shit. Believe me, you have no idea what a pit bull is capable of........and it shows. Bring it........don't sing it man LOL"

Yes, I was referring to the incessant bitching about the refs. YES!! So what? Big deal? And, YES, your incessant complaining about them was in the game thread. So, I gave my opinion that it was getting old, in the game thread. Your "opinion" was every...single....play...every..single...game....was....a ....drone....about....refs......In my "opinion" it got old. Don't like it? Get over it....simple. Get over it.

"So you weren't referring to me, and a few others, for voicing their opinion about the officiating......in the game thread, of all places? You're full of shit. Believe me, you have no idea what a pit bull is capable of........and it shows. Bring it........don't sing it man LOL"

Yes, I was referring to the incessant bitching about the refs. YES!! So what? Big deal? And, YES, your incessant complaining about them was in the game thread. So, I gave my opinion that it was getting old, in the game thread. Your "opinion" was every...single....play...every..single...game....was....a ....drone....about....refs......In my "opinion" it got old. Don't like it? Get over it....simple. Get over it.

Finally, an admittance of guilt...thank you!!! Now, who's playing innocent here? You came on game thread, where everything is loose and emotional, and tried to tell me, and others, to stop complaining. Who are you? LOL Now, you speak of your rights to your opinion.........what about ours? "Don't like it? Get over It"............my thoughts exactly.

Finally, an admittance of guilt...thank you!!! Now, who's playing innocent here? You came on game thread, where everything is loose and emotional, and tried to tell me, and others, to stop complaining. Who are you? LOL Now, you speak of your rights to your opinion.........what about ours? "Don't like it? Get over It"............my thoughts exactly.

Posting that it's "getting old" is not trying to tell you to stop. Nothing more, nothing less. Dude, really? Where does this crap come from? It was getting old. I'm just saying it was getting old. It was getting old....keep crying...but it's getting old. Who am I? A guy that thinks the crying over the refs was getting old. Soooooooo what? Get over it. LOL. Again, take exception to my opinion, make me the subject and I will poke the bear 100% of the time. Because I don't care. LOL. Get it? If 6 little words are going to get you all in a tizzy, that's not my problem. I don't care.

Posting that it's "getting old" is not trying to tell you to stop. Nothing more, nothing less. Dude, really? Where does this crap come from? It was getting old. I'm just saying it was getting old. It was getting old....keep crying...but it's getting old. Who am I? A guy that thinks the crying over the refs was getting old. Soooooooo what? Get over it. LOL. Again, take exception to my opinion, make me the subject and I will poke the bear 100% of the time. Because I don't care. LOL. Get it? If 6 little words are going to get you all in a tizzy, that's not my problem. I don't care.

Great! In your opinion, it was getting old. So what? Who cares? Get over it!! You are going to come on and tell me to stop because you don't like it? You made yourself the subject!! Like I said earlier, don't like it......then don't worry about it. But you think I'm going to stop posting about the officials because you said so? Get real. This really bothers you doesn't it? Obviously, you do care........or you wouldn't have started this in the first place. It was my, among other's, opinion that the officiating, the missed calls, the stoppages, etc. were sub par and we pointed it out. Nothing more, nothing less. Where does this even involve you? If you are going to call us out in game thread, then take it like a man when you are called out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT