ADVERTISEMENT

A.D. search

I have never paid much attention to AD's. I never won ESPN's fantasy AD league so I'm no expert. So someone help me understand what makes a good one.
We must assume that the new AD will have the same budget and rules from his/her management which they must operate within. Assuming so, what is it that the new AD will do to be better than the previous or worse than the previous?

I have never paid much attention to AD's. I never won ESPN's fantasy AD league so I'm no expert. So someone help me understand what makes a good one.
We must assume that the new AD will have the same budget and rules from his/her management which they must operate within. Assuming so, what is it that the new AD will do to be better than the previous or worse than the previous?
Top 5:
(1) Don't hire a football coach with absolutely no identity and only 1 year of head coaching success.
(2) Prioritize the needs of revenue sports, give them what they need to succeed, in order to maximize revenues, which will in turn benefit the entire athletic department.
(3) Be an all out advocate for the positive impact of SUCCESSFUL athletic programs on Purdue University as a whole. Be willing to stand up against any administration policies that negatively effect the ability to compete with peer institutions.
(4) Be wired to think outside the box, whether it be in marketing, hiring, promotions, etc. This school produces countless innovators. We should accept no less from the AD.
(5) When all else fails don't be afraid to admit and own up to mistakes. When you screw up admit it, don't just be an arrogant ass and try to put all your critics in "their place".

Wonder how many from the forum here will apply :p
Experts on this board are over qualified to be AD's and are much more likely to step into MP's shoes and run the table in their first 10 seasons. OTH I am considering applying for DH's spot when it opens up. I've slept in Holiday Inn Express enough in the last 5 years that I am as qualified to take Purdue's $2M per year as he has shown to be.

Top 5:
(1) Don't hire a football coach with absolutely no identity and only 1 year of head coaching success.
(2) Prioritize the needs of revenue sports, give them what they need to succeed, in order to maximize revenues, which will in turn benefit the entire athletic department.
(3) Be an all out advocate for the positive impact of SUCCESSFUL athletic programs on Purdue University as a whole. Be willing to stand up against any administration policies that negatively effect the ability to compete with peer institutions.
(4) Be wired to think outside the box, whether it be in marketing, hiring, promotions, etc. This school produces countless innovators. We should accept no less from the AD.
(5) When all else fails don't be afraid to admit and own up to mistakes. When you screw up admit it, don't just be an arrogant ass and try to put all your critics in "their place".
Those all make sense. Is there anything that can be done to change the limitations that the AD has to live within that would help him do those things. Who sets those rules and budgets? In my mind that is where the greatest impact on the athletic department could be realized. Just thinking that without change above the AD it is unlikely that a new one will do much better.

I posted about this in the football forum. A new A.D. will lead to a new football coach which will be great.

Those all make sense. Is there anything that can be done to change the limitations that the AD has to live within that would help him do those things. Who sets those rules and budgets? In my mind that is where the greatest impact on the athletic department could be realized. Just thinking that without change above the AD it is unlikely that a new one will do much better.

The athletic director is in charge of the budget. Obviously your revenues dictate many things - they are projected years out and obviously can be higher or lower based on a number of factors. We have obviously not hit our projections for a number of years - heavily because of football.

But when the Painter/Mizzou ordeal took place and one example given was extreme rental car rules for coaches - those are rules put in place/approved by Morgan Burke.

Now, don't get me wrong, for a school like Purdue - especially in a "down" situation with football - you just have to tighten the budget. However, whether the athletic departments rules should be the same for men's basketball coaches as they are for an assistant tennis coach - that's a whole other question.

Overall, I think one of Purdue's biggest problems is there's no checks and balances publicly. It took a men's basketball coach basically threatening to leave because he's been cheapskated by the athletic department for a story to come out about the absurd restrictions and lack of support given to a major program having success. Purdue's a public institution - you can get a lot from them if you put the effort in. You can put a request to get emails about any subject to Morgan Burke's, Mitch Daniels', etc. email addresses. You look at the football situation - has there been any sort of in-depth story about how Purdue can't get rid of a failed football coach because of a horrible financial situation Purdue's in? Nope. I can tell you in the DC/Maryland area, Maryland got raked over the coals by DC and Baltimore media when they had financial issues, bad coaches, etc. It was all over the place.

GBI isn't going to do it - they have a financial stake in Purdue Athletics. Hammer & Rails is hardly sophisticated enough. The Indianapolis Star/J&C's reporting is surface level reporting on most subjects anymore.

When you have no pressure, nothing's gonna change.

The athletic director is in charge of the budget. Obviously your revenues dictate many things - they are projected years out and obviously can be higher or lower based on a number of factors. We have obviously not hit our projections for a number of years - heavily because of football.

But when the Painter/Mizzou ordeal took place and one example given was extreme rental car rules for coaches - those are rules put in place/approved by Morgan Burke.

Now, don't get me wrong, for a school like Purdue - especially in a "down" situation with football - you just have to tighten the budget. However, whether the athletic departments rules should be the same for men's basketball coaches as they are for an assistant tennis coach - that's a whole other question.

Overall, I think one of Purdue's biggest problems is there's no checks and balances publicly. It took a men's basketball coach basically threatening to leave because he's been cheapskated by the athletic department for a story to come out about the absurd restrictions and lack of support given to a major program having success. Purdue's a public institution - you can get a lot from them if you put the effort in. You can put a request to get emails about any subject to Morgan Burke's, Mitch Daniels', etc. email addresses. You look at the football situation - has there been any sort of in-depth story about how Purdue can't get rid of a failed football coach because of a horrible financial situation Purdue's in? Nope. I can tell you in the DC/Maryland area, Maryland got raked over the coals by DC and Baltimore media when they had financial issues, bad coaches, etc. It was all over the place.

GBI isn't going to do it - they have a financial stake in Purdue Athletics. Hammer & Rails is hardly sophisticated enough. The Indianapolis Star/J&C's reporting is surface level reporting on most subjects anymore.

When you have no pressure, nothing's gonna change.
Your rental car example made me chuckle: picturing a 6'-6" Matt Painter pulling up to a recruit's house in a Ford Focus.

And I can just imagine the condescending spiel that Morgue graced Matt with when he was challenged on the idiotic policy.

Your rental car example made me chuckle: picturing a 6'-6" Matt Painter pulling up to a recruit's house in a Ford Focus.

And I can just imagine the condescending spiel that Morgue graced Matt with when he was challenged on the idiotic policy.

Probably more along the lines of a Toyota Yaris.

Again, these are not necessarily Burke's ideas; there's obviously people below in charge of these kinds of things - and sometimes these cost saving measures sound great on paper when he reviews them, but don't necessarily implement well in practice (i.e. Clark Griswold).

giphy.gif

Has anyone heard any news on this front? I've seen Oliver Luck's (Andrew's father) name mentioned a few times. I believe he is West Virginia's AD.

Has anyone heard any news on this front? I've seen Oliver Luck's (Andrew's father) name mentioned a few times. I believe he is West Virginia's AD.

He has an NCAA job now. Executive vice president for regulatory affairs

Reactions: nagemj02
People calling for hazel to be drug over coals for being such a horrid coach and basically providing an unwatchable team for the better part of 3 seasons. are being unrealistic. Purdue did this to themselves. Trying to be inclusive and making judgments on (as mentioned) one year success, Trying to show they are progressive and will hire a "non white coach" and they will "pay" a coach (when they offered a ridiculous and guaranteed salary for a ridiculous long period). lets face it Burke couldn't have laid a bigger egg if he had tried. Oh sure in a perfect storm he could have come in and stands could have parted. 4 and 5 * could have rained from the sky. He could have hired competent assistant coaches and Joe tiller recruiting staff incarnate. Invented a new way play football that no one had tried before. But NO! Flat on your face predicable and flat out unwatchable is what we got. BUT no one can say anything for fear of the famous "race" card. Hazel is a nice man but he can't coach at least not at this level. I don't lay this egg on Hazel. He's a bad coach, but who would walk away from that kind of money and opportunity. No this one is squarely on Burke and his Dumbass Contract. Hey, Purdue fans here is a giant omelet of rotten eggs right at your feet. Eat up its stinking around because we don't waste money and if we fire too early we just didn't give it a chance.

Reactions: nagemj02
Brian Cardinal sent a cryptic tweet:

Brian Cardinal ‏@BrianCardinal 12h12 hours ago
Gulp! Submitted! Here goes nothing... Or everything...

People are taking to mean he applied. Is he a realistic candidate, how do people feel about this?

I don't like it. I hope he's joking. I can't stress this enough: they need to find a high-quality successor that has NO Purdue ties. Other than Painter (and one could argue that his teams' best seasons might be in the past), this constant in-house crap doesn't make the athletic programs stronger. If anything, it makes them lesser. Get someone that's not afraid to spend some money or hurt people's feelings if any of the head coaches are underperforming after a fair amount of time.

Reactions: Travisty13

People are taking to mean he applied. Is he a realistic candidate, how do people feel about this?
I would hope that if he was legitimately a candidate that they would have had official discussions/applications long before now.

Plus I thought the goal was to have someone with a football background?

I would hope that if he was legitimately a candidate that they would have had official discussions/applications long before now.

Plus I thought the goal was to have someone with a football background?

I've never understood the push for Cardinal (on here) for ad. Does he have any type of management background? Does he know anything about football? Those are the two most basic requirements.

Obviously a great guy and a boiler legend. But unfortunately those aren't sufficient.

I have no way of knowing if he is qualified. I am certain he would dive after every loose piece of contract papers that might fall off the edge of his desk. It would be a great story if it works well.

I don't like it. I hope he's joking. I can't stress this enough: they need to find a high-quality successor that has NO Purdue ties. Other than Painter (and one could argue that his teams' best seasons might be in the past), this constant in-house crap doesn't make the athletic programs stronger. If anything, it makes them lesser. Get someone that's not afraid to spend some money or hurt people's feelings if any of the head coaches are underperforming after a fair amount of time.
I think I get what you are saying, although it seems a bit reactive. Hazel was from outside the Purdue family and look at how that turned out.
The bottom line is we need to take the best candidate no matter what tied they have. There is no reason to limit ourselves by saying they not have any Purdue ties.
I won't touch the Painters best season comment because, well it makes zero sense.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
I think I get what you are saying, although it seems a bit reactive. Hazel was from outside the Purdue family and look at how that turned out.
The bottom line is we need to take the best candidate no matter what tied they have. There is no reason to limit ourselves by saying they not have any Purdue ties.
I won't touch the Painters best season comment because, well it makes zero sense.

Burke was the one doing the hiring. He graduated from Purdue. He usually hires cheap and is not the best evaluator of head coaches. So, there is a Purdue tie there when on the topic of A.D.'s

Painter's best season comment was me saying there's no guarantee that Purdue men's basketball is going to have a better overall season or better postseason for the remainder of Painter's tenure then they did in '08-'09 (B1G Tourney Title) (Sweet Sixteen) and '09-'10 (best overall record: 29-6) (Tied for regular season B1G Title) (Sweet Sixteen).

Painter's best season comment was me saying there's no guarantee that Purdue men's basketball is going to have a better overall season or better postseason for the remainder of Painter's tenure then they did in '08-'09 (B1G Tourney Title) (Sweet Sixteen) and '09-'10 (best overall record: 29-6) (Tied for regular season B1G Title) (Sweet Sixteen).
Same can be said for ANY coach. But at least for now, Painter appears to be trending upward.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Same can be said for ANY coach. But at least for now, Painter appears to be trending upward.

He's trending upward for regular season success (i.e. reaching the tournament), but he's been on a straight line the past few years when it comes to postseason success.

Burke was the one doing the hiring. He graduated from Purdue. He usually hires cheap and is not the best evaluator of head coaches. So, there is a Purdue tie there when on the topic of A.D.'s

Once again Burke went outside of the Purdue family for a hire and it was a disaster. So to out limits on who we hire as an AD, i.e. not in Purdue family is ridiculous. The next AD should be hired on their merits no matter where they are from.
You seem to have an agenda against Purdue grads as somehow limiting our growth. I don't get it at all, especially if you are a Purdue grad. That alone would disqualify you from making the decision or sharing any insight according to your premise.

Once again Burke went outside of the Purdue family for a hire and it was a disaster. So to out limits on who we hire as an AD, i.e. not in Purdue family is ridiculous. The next AD should be hired on their merits no matter where they are from.
You seem to have an agenda against Purdue grads as somehow limiting our growth. I don't get it at all, especially if you are a Purdue grad. That alone would disqualify you from making the decision or sharing any insight according to your premise.

Do you think Purdue typically hiring people with previous ties or connections to its athletic programs has really helped or boosted said programs in effect?

Yes, he's hired a former MAC coach and a DI AA coach for football in the last 8 years and they haven't worked out, that's true.

As far as A.D.'s go, I'm referring to hiring an A.D. that previously could have been the head of a Power 5 or high-major program, not necessarily someone that was in charge at a lesser-known institution.

This. And Hazel replaced Hope, who was also from outside the "Purdue family". It doesn't seem to make success any more likely.

Do you think Purdue typically hiring people with previous ties or connections to its athletic programs has really helped or boosted said programs in effect?

Ever hear of a guy named Joe Tiller? Sure glad we didn't eliminate his name from the search because he had previously been an asst football coach at Purdue.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Does anyone remember how bad George King was? He took us from Bob DeMoss to Fred Akers. to Jim Colletto. Forget the Purdue Good Ole Boys. We need an AD who has football in his blood.

Reactions: Boilermb

This made me laugh. I'm 6'3" and the rental car I was given today by National was a Ford Focus! It's actually surprisingly roomy.

Does anyone remember how bad George King was? He took us from Bob DeMoss to Fred Akers. to Jim Colletto. Forget the Purdue Good Ole Boys. We need an AD who has football in his blood.
I think about those guys from "outside the Purdue family" every time someone brings it up.

Akers had a solid football pedigree and brought in great athletes. Unfortunately, his recruiting brought in athletes that couldn't or wouldn't meet Purdue's academic standards.

Yep. Based on our track record, we have about a 30% chance of a good FB hire regardless of the AD.
I'm not so sure. Purdue's track record is that of the 35 head coaches in its history, 18 have a .500 or better career record, albeit many early coaches were 1 or 2 years and gone.
Had you said recent track record, wellllll, a little different, but that would hardly be regardless of the AD though.
I'm not trying to slam Burke. Unfortunately recent football hires just haven't worked. I believe that he has tried to make good hires within the budget constraints that he felt appropriate. I have no problem with disagreeing with his assesments both as to budget constraints or hiring choices, but I really am finding it more and more tiresome to keep reading that it is either somehow intentional by him or that he simply doesn't care. I just find that hard to accept.

I'm not so sure. Purdue's track record is that of the 35 head coaches in its history, 18 have a .500 or better career record, albeit many early coaches were 1 or 2 years and gone.
Had you said recent track record, wellllll, a little different, but that would hardly be regardless of the AD though.
I'm not trying to slam Burke. Unfortunately recent football hires just haven't worked. I believe that he has tried to make good hires within the budget constraints that he felt appropriate. I have no problem with disagreeing with his assesments both as to budget constraints or hiring choices, but I really am finding it more and more tiresome to keep reading that it is either somehow intentional by him or that he simply doesn't care. I just find that hard to accept.
Good point. I was looking at every hire post Mollenkopf, essentially the "modern" era.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT