ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Rivals 150

I do not want to start yet another thread about how a team must have so many stars behind the players name to win, as that has been beaten into the ground in the past. But please understand that even with 5 or 6 5 star players on a team, unless some are willing to play the role the team needs them to play they will not be successful.
I'll take 5 star players all day long.

More importantly, it is looking like an opportunity to join a program with a proven track record of developing big men and a ton of opportunity available, especially if Painter doesn’t take a big in 2022. Painter has been recruiting more elite outside shooters recently than he ever has, which is ideal for a talented big to get space to work.
except he's not a big man.

I'll take 5 star players all day long.
I'll take the 5-star players if Matt Painter thinks they are a good fit.

I'll also take the "lowly" 3-4 star players like Jaden Ivey, Carsen Edwards, E'twaun Moore, Trey Williams, Robbie Hummel, Zach Edey, JuJuan Johnson, Myles Colvin, Camden Heide, Fletcher Loyer, etc. that Painter selects. I trust Painter's evaluation more than the guys granting stars.

I'll take the 5-star players if Matt Painter thinks they are a good fit.

I'll also take the "lowly" 3-4 star players like Jaden Ivey, Carsen Edwards, E'twaun Moore, Trey Williams, Robbie Hummel, Zach Edey, JuJuan Johnson, Myles Colvin, Camden Heide, Fletcher Loyer, etc. that Painter selects. I trust Painter's evaluation more than the guys granting stars.
But.....none of those lowly 3-4 star players have gotten Purdue to a FF or NC. Now, that might change this year, but I think there's some statistic that shows the last NC team that didn't have a 5* rated player.

But.....none of those lowly 3-4 star players have gotten Purdue to a FF or NC. Now, that might change this year, but I think there's some statistic that shows the last NC team that didn't have a 5* rated player.
You joking? Baylor didn't have a five star, right?

5-star players don't guarantee anything. Kentucky, Duke, and UNC are always loaded with 5-stars. Did it help them last year? Every year IU has 5-star players. How has that worked out?

Reactions: ChuckJr and Schnelk
I read somewhere on here that Xavier Booker would be a tough get. Can anyone elaborate?
He has a number of scholarship offers - MSU, OSU, IU, Louisville, …. Hope he is a Purdue lean. Too early to tell. If he continues to rise, others will jump in like they did for Jalen Washington.

Reactions: Schnelk
5-star players don't guarantee anything. Kentucky, Duke, and UNC are always loaded with 5-stars. Did it help them last year? Every year IU has 5-star players. How has that worked out?
You need to take a larger sample size than last year.
UK, Duke and UNC are almost always going to be FF contenders. They won't make it every year, but with their recruiting, you know it's not a lot of time between FF trips.
iu's last visit to the FF was in what, 02? Still more recent than Purdue's 1980.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
You joking? Baylor didn't have a five star, right?
I don't recall the exact stat, but it basically indicated that a vast, vast majority (not all) over the last, whatever number of years. had a 5 star recruit.

The bottom line is, 5 star recruits aren't diamonds in the rough. They're considered top recruits for a reason. The more of those you can land, the better.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
You need to take a larger sample size than last year.
UK, Duke and UNC are almost always going to be FF contenders. They won't make it every year, but with their recruiting, you know it's not a lot of time between FF trips.
iu's last visit to the FF was in what, 02? Still more recent than Purdue's 1980.
No one gets more 5-stars than UK, Duke, UNC, and Kansas. One of them should win it every year by your argument. E-V-E-R-Y Y-E-A-R.

But now we are getting back to your past objections to Painter landing Carsen, Ivey, and Edey because they were lowly 3-4 stars when, in your mind, Purdue needed 5-stars. :rolleyes:

No one gets more 5-stars than UK, Duke, UNC, and Kansas. One of them should win it every year by your argument. E-V-E-R-Y Y-E-A-R.

But now we are getting back to your past objections to Painter landing Carsen, Ivey, and Edey because they were lowly 3-4 stars when, in your mind, Purdue needed 5-stars. :rolleyes:
Well, until Painter gets to a FF and NC, (which he may this year and be putting together a multiple run team), he hasn't recruited well enough to get to the FF. It's very black n white.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Well, until Painter gets to a FF and NC, (which he may this year and be putting together a multiple run team), he hasn't recruited well enough to get to the FF. It's very black n white.

Work him, Lenny!

A7m5.gif

There are far too many random factors in reaching the final four. Quality of talent is one of many. Of course, the matchup of skills and sizes. Then addin coaching strategy, luck of the draw, health of the players, location of the game, time of day, how each of the players prepared, their mental state, and so on. This applies to our team, their team, and to all other teams in the tourney. The end summary of all this randomness is an unpredictable result in most years.

So, yes, five star studs contribute. However They are only one in a huge array of factors. Zero in on only one and you will lose sight of all the other important factors.

There are far too many random factors in reaching the final four. Quality of talent is one of many. Of course, the matchup of skills and sizes. Then addin coaching strategy, luck of the draw, health of the players, location of the game, time of day, how each of the players prepared, their mental state, and so on. This applies to our team, their team, and to all other teams in the tourney. The end summary of all this randomness is an unpredictable result in most years.

So, yes, five star studs contribute. However They are only one in a huge array of factors. Zero in on only one and you will lose sight of all the other important factors.

I agree with all that, but the number one factor to on court success and deep tourney runs is going to be the talent.
Sure, luck plays a part, but Purdue hasn't been unlucky for the last 40 yrs. Some untimely injuries maybe, but every program deals with injuries.

There's a pretty high correlation between teams that are perennial FF contenders and teams that put the most guys in the NBA.

since 1979, only 3 teams have won the national championship without a mcdonalds all american

2021 baylor
2014 uconn
2002 maryland

But all those teams had at least one first round NBA draft pick. UConn had 1, Maryland and Baylor had 2.

And specifically a guard who was a first round pick.

Yet.....two out of the last seven NCAA tournaments.....interesting. I would also hasten to wager that Purdue will have/has at least one first-round NBA draft pick on its team.

I get part of Lenny's mantra.....where recruiting has a huge impact and likely the single biggest factor - arguably. That's where it ends for me. Purdue's model/path is more toward Villanova and Michigan State rather than Kentucky, Kansas, and North Carolina......JMHO.

The recruiting results are/have been steadily on the up-swing.....yes, post-season results do matter......we shall see. Countdown continues.

Just because they both play in Indy has little to no baring on them knowing each other . I will bet the farm none of those doing the rankings have ever seen Colvin play ( no shoes company ). Booker only exploded on the seen when he played for a Nike team ( Indy Heat ) . Braden Smith is one of the best players in the 2022 class but since he play's for Grand Park few have seen him play so few stars . And even when they see you they don't see you . Fletcher Loyer was first team all peach Jam ( Nike ) . Yet Rivals has him as 3 star and isn't ranked in most polls . If Painter offers you then you belong in every ones top 100 . Purdue is a top 25 team basically every year under Painter he doesn't need some guy setting in his parents basement to evaluate players for him and neither do I .
Colvin and Booker attend private high schools that are less than 10 minutes apart. I would be very surprised to hear that 2 of the top local players on the same side of town don't know each other. The real question is, do they like each other? If they are friends, it could certainly work in Purdue's favor.

And if they don't know each other, it would be good if Colvin introduced himself ASAP.

And specifically a guard who was a first round pick.

I've been saying it for years: I'm convinced that Purdue's struggles in the tourney are a result of not having NBA caliber guard play (low and behold....look what happened when we had an NBA level guard in Edwards).

I have my theories as to why, but both Keady and Painter have struggled at recruiting top guard talent.

Yet.....two out of the last seven NCAA tournaments.....interesting. I would also hasten to wager that Purdue will have/has at least one first-round NBA draft pick on its team.

I get part of Lenny's mantra.....where recruiting has a huge impact and likely the single biggest factor - arguably. That's where it ends for me. Purdue's model/path is more toward Villanova and Michigan State rather than Kentucky, Kansas, and North Carolina......JMHO.

The recruiting results are/have been steadily on the up-swing.....yes, post-season results do matter......we shall see. Countdown continues.

I do think Purdue's recruiting is on the upswing and Painter might be on to something, but we're nowhere near MSU or Nova at this point. Have a long way to go to match those programs.

Thanks Biker.
I'd say that's a pretty high correlation.
Another strong correlation I've seen posted elsewhere...every NCAABB champion since 2008 has had at least a 1:1 ratio of top 100 recruits to non-top 100 recruits on their roster. Half of them were 2:1 or better. Sure, rankings are not perfectly accurate, but there is a strong correlation to championship teams having half or more of their roster be top 100 recruits. It matters if you want to hang a banner.

Another strong correlation I've seen posted elsewhere...every NCAABB champion since 2008 has had at least a 1:1 ratio of top 100 recruits to non-top 100 recruits on their roster. Half of them were 2:1 or better. Sure, rankings are not perfectly accurate, but there is a strong correlation to championship teams having half or more of their roster be top 100 recruits. It matters if you want to hang a banner.
Talent matters, and it matters even more when you're talking teams with FF and NC talent.

Talent matters, and it matters even more when you're talking teams with FF and NC talent.
If you honestly believe all of this -- and you repeat it so often we have to assume that you do -- then why do you set goals for 3- and 4-star players to get to a FF and win the NC? According to your belief system, those are impossible goals. And then you blame the players when they don't achieve what you believe is impossible. Maybe you don't see how silly that is?

Reactions: mathboy
If you honestly believe all of this -- and you repeat it so often we have to assume that you do -- then why do you set goals for 3- and 4-star players to get to a FF and win the NC? According to your belief system, those are impossible goals. And then you blame the players when they don't achieve what you believe is impossible. Maybe you don't see how silly that is?
Never said it was impossible, but it's more likely with higher rated talent. That's the facts.

I think Painter is probably at the most successful position he's ever been in from a recruiting standpoint. He needs for that to translate to the tourney.

Reactions: Boilerupone
It will be interesting to see how things change with regards to burger boys being on national championship teams. Now that they can go straight to the gleague after high school we may not see it as often.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT