ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Purdue team

collegehoopsfan123

True Freshman
Oct 15, 2021
4 starters 6'6'' or taller and Haarms was a "mobile" 7'3'' center with a capable 3-point shot.

Need at least 1 guy with enough speed / body control / point guard skills (usually short) that can create for himself and others (thank you Carsen Edwards).

Moving forward, I want to see as many Purdue teams as possible with only 1 or 2 guys under 6'6'' on the court at the same time because

Painter's best NCAA tournament team to date, 2019 (would have made FF if not for 1 miracle pass by Virginia)

shows that size at the 3 and mobility at the 5 gets the job done when it matters most.

2000 Purdue Elite 8 team showed similar qualities too with Mike Robinson a 6'6'' at the 3 and Greg McQuay mobile at the 5.

That team would also have made FF if Jaraan Cornell was average that night or if Greg McQuay had been 6'9''.

Bottom line, I don't see Purdue getting to the Final 4 with a guard at the 3 or with a slow center that can't move well laterally. Go Boilers!

4 starters 6'6'' or taller and Haarms was a "mobile" 7'3'' center with a capable 3-point shot.

Need at least 1 guy with enough speed / body control / point guard skills (usually short) that can create for himself and others (thank you Carsen Edwards).

Moving forward, I want to see as many Purdue teams as possible with only 1 or 2 guys under 6'6'' on the court at the same time because

Painter's best NCAA tournament team to date, 2019 (would have made FF if not for 1 miracle pass by Virginia)

shows that size at the 3 and mobility at the 5 gets the job done when it matters most.

2000 Purdue Elite 8 team showed similar qualities too with Mike Robinson a 6'6'' at the 3 and Greg McQuay mobile at the 5.

That team would also have made FF if Jaraan Cornell was average that night or if Greg McQuay had been 6'9''.

Bottom line, I don't see Purdue getting to the Final 4 with a guard at the 3 or with a slow center that can't move well laterally. Go Boilers!
Unless, that guard is a 6' 5"-6'6" bully like Baylor puts on the court. I really wish Gillis could develop a dribble drive.

I like Furst to be a major contributor at the 5. I really hope Berg can come in and surprise us as well.

I sort of had the opposite take from the 2019 tournament. We won a few games because our guards went off. Nojel, Grady, and Haarms played their roles, but they were mostly just there to play defense and get the ball to Carsen or Cline to shoot. I do agree with the slow center take though. I think guards can consistently show up in games, while bigs are super matchup dependent. That's why Gobert is an All-Star until the playoffs, and then he gets exposed in ball screens. And to win a championship, you have to be consistent over 6 games.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123

the last dominant Purdue team is baby boiler, just build like that again.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
I sort of had the opposite take from the 2019 tournament. We won a few games because our guards went off. Nojel, Grady, and Haarms played their roles, but they were mostly just there to play defense and get the ball to Carsen or Cline to shoot. I do agree with the slow center take though. I think guards can consistently show up in games, while bigs are super matchup dependent. That's why Gobert is an All-Star until the playoffs, and then he gets exposed in ball screens. And to win a championship, you have to be consistent over 6 games.
Good stuff. Just want a Purdue team with about 8 or 9 laterally quick defensively players with enough size, shooting, with 2 or 3 of them being playmakers for both themselves and teammates that don't turn the ball over at a high rate. This will get Purdue back to the FF and more. It doable if Painter recruits them.

Agree and reality is that Carsen was the only guy in double figures against Virginia. Team played really well but Virginia was a better team.

Hopefully hes good enough to play minutes at both the 4 and 5. And kaufman good enough to get lots of minutes at the 3.
I agree. Painter's best Purdue teams 2010 and 2019 both had a mobile 5 man in Johnson and Haarms. To me, we need this back to get to the FF and more. Laterally slow defensive guys will not get it done in March. Go Boilers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT