ADVERTISEMENT

1/6/21

Good catch exposing Barbara.

A few things that are different, though:

1. "Boxer said her purpose was not to overturn Bush’s reelection but, rather, to focus new attention on flawed voting practices." AND “I hate inconveniencing my friends, but I think it’s worth a couple of hours to shine some light on these issues." AND "But Boxer and other Democrats, including House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-San Francisco), insisted they were questioning the process, not the outcome." AND "But Boxer and other Democrats acknowledged that the problems were not extensive enough to change the result of the election." AND “'This objection does not have at its roots the hope or even the hint of overturning the victory of the president,' said Tubbs Jones." All a little different than the many Republican efforts, including by Donald "I won by a lot" Trump, to change the results this year.

2. "Defeated Democratic presidential candidate Sen. John F. Kerry of Massachusetts said this week he did not support the effort to challenge the Ohio results." A little different than Trump's position.

3. "And ultimately, Pelosi and most other Democratic lawmakers joined Republicans to vote to confirm the Ohio results." We'll have to wait and see how the Republicans ultimately vote. I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's not as lopsided as 2004 (267-31 in the House and 74-1 in the Senate).

At it's core, the 2004 objection was an attempt to draw attention to voter suppression in Ohio that forced long lines in mainly Democratic-controlled areas, not to overturn the results of the election. There were also, according to Dennis Kucinich, reports in Ohio of "phony letters from Boards of Elections telling people that their registration through some Democratic activist groups were invalid and that Kerry voters were to report on Wednesday because of massive voter turnout. Phone calls to voters giving them erroneous polling information were also common." I have been unable to verify if these claims are true, but it was at least in the air at the time. If they had already been debunked before the certification vote, then, Democrats were wrong to object based on them, just as Republicans are wrong now to object based on repeatedly debunked and otherwise unsupported claims of fraud. The long line issue, though, was true and continues to be a problem today, so I don't have a problem with it being brought to light, especially given the above indication that no one was actually questioning the results of the election.

While I agree the behavior is abhorrent, to act like this is the first time in history there has been some kind of attempt by a lame duck to retain power is also silly. It won’t undermine Democracy in the long run. I believe American Democracy is too strong for that, and this will end up a blip on the radar.

I frankly think Trump will be dead or in very poor health before the 2024 election. I don’t think he will handle the defeat and “retirement” back to private life well at all.
Wishful thinking by you and PD and others.

With four years of Joe's bungling and corruption, 2024 will be a perfect set up for Trump.

It will be interesting to see how similar the circumstances turn out to actually be. My recollection is that John Kerry had conceded the election long before the Congressional count, disagreed with any contest, and that both Sen. Boxer and Rep. Tubbs specifically indicated that they were not attempting to overturn Pres. Bush's reelection in any way but to draw attention to various issues related to voting.
Is my recollection correct?
You think I can remember that? I’m getting lucky to remember my name anymore.:D

Did Senator Boxer and/or Representative Tubbs call the Secretary of State and ask him/her to "find" votes? Was it their own elections? I think what struck me about this phone call was that the President was trying to overturn an election that would help him personally. He has not appeared to have any interest in the votes cast for anyone but himself. Question: Why is he focused on Georgia? It really wouldn't matter even if Georgia's electoral votes were to go to him would it?

Reactions: PUBV
It is also my recollection that 1) Al Gore prevented objections to his loss following the S. Ct. ruling, including objections during the Congressional counting process, as well as 2) Joe Biden refused to entertain objections during the counting process declaring Trump as winner.

Did Senator Boxer and/or Representative Tubbs call the Secretary of State and ask him/her to "find" votes? Was it their own elections? I think what struck me about this phone call was that the President was trying to overturn an election that would help him personally. He has not appeared to have any interest in the votes cast for anyone but himself. Question: Why is he focused on Georgia? It really wouldn't matter even if Georgia's electoral votes were to go to him would it?
It's interesting you ask, in that I was thinking about that.
After about half a dozen drinks, I toyed with the idea that if I were a Biden adviser and trying to be "evil" I would float the idea that since Georgia could not swing the election, why not weaponize the idea by taking the high ground, refuse to seat and accept the Georgia votes, proclaim we are the party of fairness and while we believe there was no issue we will proceed with concern, certify Biden President but closer than that to which he was entitled, and then most importantly the next time there is a close election that results in a Republican president use it as precedent for attacking that result. I'm a big believer in the bromide "Be careful what you ask for..."

First he wins Georgia, then he changes America.

Didn't Hillary advise not to concede? For that reason alone, he should concede.

Bob give it up. Trump lost, got what you wanted and yet still are complaining. I accepted he lost and you should to.

I will say say this though, you are not going to like what you voted for. You might not have cared for what we had, but it’s going to get a lot worse for the working people. I’ll leave it at that.
Yeah, you accepted so much you're already taking shots at the people who beat him........when they've done nothing at all.

As long as trump continues to screw up our country I'll keep pointing it out. He doesn't have to be president to create chaos. Maybe you should reconsider your support for him if you can't handle it.
There's a special place in hell for officials who accuse others of stealing an election while actually trying to do it themselves.

First he wins Georgia, then he changes America.

Didn't Hillary advise not to concede? For that reason alone, he should concede.
She did:

And she was right, it did appear that Trump was leading on Election night, but it "dragged out," to use her words, until Saturday before we knew who actually won due to the slower counting of mail ballots.

Reactions: BleedinGold
Yeah, you accepted so much you're already taking shots at the people who beat him........when they've done nothing at all.

As long as trump continues to screw up our country I'll keep pointing it out. He doesn't have to be president to create chaos. Maybe you should reconsider your support for him if you can't handle it.
There's a special place in hell for officials who accuse others of stealing an election while actually trying to do it themselves.
How have I supported him recently?

Wishful thinking by you and PD and others.

With four years of Joe's bungling and corruption, 2024 will be a perfect set up for Trump.
Except that the Republican party won't nominate him again. So he'd have to run as an independent, and he would get trounced. Besides the fact that he probably won't be able to run by then anyway. The only person with wishful thinking here is your dumb ass.

Reactions: LedZep17
Don’t worry, the economy performs better when Democrats are in control, plus the added bonus of not having psychopathic criminals in charge.

Trumps #2 and Obama is 7th ?? That’s doesn’t count the last 10% the economy has tacked on.

• Haha
Reactions: PUBV
Really?

Historically, yes:

All results from the search “are republicans or democrats better for the economy,” so I was not searching for confirmation.

Reactions: indy35
Really?

yes and not even close. This isn’t like a hidden secret. Do you republicans ever make opinions based off facts or do you just go with your gut feeling?

Congrats on another republican recession. Don’t worry. Biden will clean up your mess. Again.

Reactions: indy35
Except that the Republican party won't nominate him again. So he'd have to run as an independent, and he would get trounced. Besides the fact that he probably won't be able to run by then anyway. The only person with wishful thinking here is your dumb ass.
They will have to nominate him when he wins the primaries, just like in 2016. Repubs are not sophisticated enough to rig the primaries like the dems did against Bernie.

Btw, how about a New Year's resolution for you not to engage in childish insults? Think you could do it or is that too much?

Trumps #2 and Obama is 7th ?? That’s doesn’t count the last 10% the economy has tacked on.

“the last 10% the economy has tacked on”😂. The economy is approaching 40,000! Thank you for the morning chuckles

Reactions: Monkey Pox

Thinking about this more, I can't imagine a more worse scenario for Republicans should this happen. Assuming he can avoid a prison and/or padded cell, and also manage to not permanently close out his own vital record file before then, the possibilities are endless for how much he wants to continue to damage the GOP.

GOP certainly needs to stew a while in their mess, but I really don't wish long-term damage to the party because this country needs balance and always will. But they may have very well brought exactly that on themselves. Time will tell how much they will reel from seeming to be perfectly OK with letting their guy openly abuse his power all the way through what was fortunately only 1 term and also set fire to what he could get away with on the way out. What's certain is that the 3 wise monkey act from GOP leadership has run its course. When he or his cult disciples ruin future fundraising efforts for decent Republican candidates that have a legitimate shot of beating Democrats in high-level elections, or they decide to wage QAnon-inspired attacks and smear battles with the party, I'll try to at least do my part and calm any nervous supporters with "There, there... it's just part of his personality".

For now, I'm just glad he will very soon no longer be around in the Oval Office to jeopardize our country's top leadership and not be able to continue to try and subvert government and democracy. He'll still likely always have his cult following but ultimately Trump can no longer sabotage the American system as a whole, only the Republican machine that they themselves let him compromise.

Thinking about this more, I can't imagine a more worse scenario for Republicans should this happen. Assuming he can avoid a prison and/or padded cell, and also manage to not permanently close out his own vital record file before then, the possibilities are endless for how much he wants to continue to damage the GOP.

GOP certainly needs to stew a while in their mess, but I really don't wish long-term damage to the party because this country needs balance and always will. But they may have very well brought exactly that on themselves. Time will tell how much they will reel from seeming to be perfectly OK with letting their guy openly abuse his power all the way through what was fortunately only 1 term and also set fire to what he could get away with on the way out. What's certain is that the 3 wise monkey act from GOP leadership has run its course. When he or his cult disciples ruin future fundraising efforts for decent Republican candidates that have a legitimate shot of beating Democrats in high-level elections, or they decide to wage QAnon-inspired attacks and smear battles with the party, I'll try to at least do my part and calm any nervous supporters with "There, there... it's just part of his personality".

For now, I'm just glad he will very soon no longer be around in the Oval Office to jeopardize our country's top leadership and not be able to continue to try and subvert government and democracy. He'll still likely always have his cult following but ultimately Trump can no longer sabotage the American system as a whole, only the Republican machine that they themselves let him compromise.
He will lose any other election he runs in. The cat is out of the bag on what he is and enough people won’t be duped into nominating/voting for him a second time. Plus he’s already off his rocker and that’s not going to get better with age. If he self funds and runs as an independent, yes, not good for the Rs at all. They need the loony fringe represented here to vote to win with anyone since Rs are outnumbered as it is.

Which of his policies did you think were bad?

• Haha
Reactions: Monkey Pox
They will have to nominate him when he wins the primaries, just like in 2016. Repubs are not sophisticated enough to rig the primaries like the dems did against Bernie.

Btw, how about a New Year's resolution for you not to engage in childish insults? Think you could do it or is that too much?
With you? Not worth the effort.

If you care about conservative principle, you’d better hope Trump stays out of it. He will lose a general election. People elected him as a breath of fresh air, and now they know better. He just got crushed by a bad candidate. If we have Biden/Trump 2024... good heavens for this country. Please don’t be among the utter dumb shits that makes that happen because you’re infatuated with a demagogue.

If you care about conservative principle, you’d better hope Trump stays out of it. He will lose a general election. People elected him as a breath of fresh air, and now they know better. He just got crushed by a bad candidate. If we have Biden/Trump 2024... good heavens for this country. Please don’t be among the utter dumb shits that makes that happen because you’re infatuated with a demagogue.
Well, I thought I would try because one of my resolutions is to help people who use immature language to be less immature when I can. I hope you will reconsider and elevate your discourse to a more intelligent and mature level.

At the same time, I appreciate that your user name does not identify you with Purdue. I thank you for that.

Happy New Year

I agree with Biden being a weak candidate.Yet he won by around 7 million votes and no GOP candidate running for President has won by that many votes since 1988.

Reactions: gr8indoorsman
I agree with Biden being a weak candidate.Yet he won by around 7 million votes and no GOP candidate running for President has won by that many votes since 1988.
Total votes is not a true indicator in the electoral system, but it looks like Biden had a decisive victory, thanks to the CCP.

Well, I thought I would try because one of my resolutions is to help people who use immature language to be less immature when I can. I hope you will reconsider and elevate your discourse to a more intelligent and mature level.

At the same time, I appreciate that your user name does not identify you with Purdue. I thank you for that.

Happy New Year
Eye. Roll. You think very highly of yourself. Awesome. Good for you, “Riveting.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT