ADVERTISEMENT

Here's what Democrats truly believe about voting rights for all

YouSayPotato

True Freshman
Jun 4, 2021

Green Party Supporters Deserve Voting Rights Too​

The Democrats belie their commitment to democracy by repeatedly suing to get the minor party off ballots.​

By Ted Rall Wall Street Journal Jan. 19, 2022 6:31 pm ET

im-469091

President Biden speaks about Democrats’ election legislation after a meeting with the Senate Democratic Caucus in Washington, Jan. 13.​

Democrats have framed their voting-rights legislation as a “battle for the soul of America.” President Biden last week said that “the right to vote and to have that vote counted is democracy’s threshold liberty.” But what about the right to a real choice?

The Democratic Party sued to remove 2020 Green Party presidential candidate Howie Hawkins from the ballot in Pennsylvania over a technicality; the state Supreme Court, whose members are chosen through partisan elections, ruled in the Democrats’ favor along party lines. Democrats also got the Greens removed from the ballot in Wisconsin because vice-presidential candidate Angela Walker, a Milwaukee native, listed two addresses on her ballot petition. She said she moved during the signature-gathering process.

The Greens appeared on 28 state ballots in 2020, down from 44 in 2016. The decline was in large part due to Democratic lawsuits. The effort extends down the ballot as well. In 2020 Democrats blocked Green Party nominees for the U.S. Senate, House and railroad commissioner from appearing on the ballot in Texas. Montana Democrats sued to remove all Greens from the ballot in 2018 and 2020.

“They are nothing but playground bullies desperately seeking exclusive power,” Gary Marbut, a Green Party candidate for Montana’s Senate, said in 2020. “As soon as it suits them they claim the ballot is their exclusive playground and do their best to run anyone else they can off the playground, especially the little kids.”

Democratic-aligned media outlets turn a blind eye to these antidemocratic tactics, while accusing Republicans of covertly gathering petition signatures and providing legal assistance to defend the Greens from Democratic lawsuits that seek to keep them off the ballot. True, Republicans have waged warfare against the Libertarian Party, repeatedly suing to keep such candidates off the ballot out of fear that they would siphon off votes from the GOP. But the Republicans aren’t posing as staunch defenders of free access to the polls. If Democrats want to be taken seriously on voting rights, they should stop suing the Greens.

The "voting rights act" was never about establising law.

It was about establishing a narrative that you are a racist.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Sen. Tim Scott voting against the John Lewis Voting Rights Bill proves that he is Gumbo/Sambo, a traitor to his race. Scott ought to he ashamed of himself.

There must be some ridiculous things in that bill for people not supporting it. Maybe that’s it.
Nope, the protects everyone's right to vote. The repubs voted for it before back on the 2000's.

Sen. Tim Scott voting against the John Lewis Voting Rights Bill proves that he is Gumbo/Sambo, a traitor to his race. Scott ought to he ashamed of himself.
So let me get this figured out , if you are black you have to vote for all things having to do with or named after a black person regardless of where you were elected or your own thoughts or any thing but skin color right? You do realize if white people had the same stance anything you want passed just because of race is doomed right? You really are a putz. GD GumboSambo BS , I would actually like to have the pleasure of meeting you to see just what a twit you really are .

There must be some ridiculous things in that bill for people not supporting it. Maybe that’s it.
Yep, like the following. No ID needed to vote. Just a letter from one of your buddies:

"The bill would also weaken state voter ID requirements. Some states have what are known as strict photo ID laws, which requires voters to present a narrow set of documents — like a driver’s license or state ID card — to prove their identity.

"The bill requires that states with identification requirements accept a significantly wider range of documents, including debit cards, utility bills or bank statements issued within six months of the election or “any other document” with an individual's name issued by federal, state, tribal or local governments. The bill would also let would-be voters present, in lieu of ID, a “sworn written statement” signed by another adult who has known the voter for at least six months “under penalty of perjury.”

Here I is. Gives me a ballot.

You are unknowingly representing white supremacists by consistently supporting their views about blacks.
Nope. How am I supporting their views about black people? Tim Scott's support white supremacists views about black people by voting against the John Lewis Voting Rights Bill. The same John Lewis that got the crap beat out of him on that Edwin Pettis bridge by white supremacists while marching for voting rights.

Similarly with Justice Clarence Thomas ruling against affirmative action every chance he got. The same affirmative action that allowed him, Dr. Ben Carson, Dr. Henry Louis Gates and about 20 or so other black men to go to Yale University.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
So let me get this figured out , if you are black you have to vote for all things having to do with or named after a black person regardless of where you were elected or your own thoughts or any thing but skin color right? You do realize if white people had the same stance anything you want passed just because of race is doomed right? You really are a putz. GD GumboSambo BS , I would actually like to have the pleasure of meeting you to see just what a twit you really are .
Too bad Sen Scott didn’t get support from the “party for rights “ on his legislation. I bet Republicans would be called racists if they blocked similar legislation from a Black Democrat.

Nope. How am I supporting their views about black people? Tim Scott's support white supremacists views about black people by voting against the John Lewis Voting Rights Bill. The same John Lewis that got the crap beat out of him on that Edwin Pettis bridge by white supremacists while marching for voting rights.

Similarly with Justice Clarence Thomas ruling against affirmative action every chance he got. The same affirmative action that allowed him, Dr. Ben Carson, Dr. Henry Louis Gates and about 20 or so other black men to go to Yale University.
So you’re saying the only way a minority can get into an elite school is due to affirmative action? If I were a minority, I’d be offended because I was given special treatment instead of my qualifications

So you’re saying the only way a minority can get into an elite school is due to affirmative action? If I were a minority, I’d be offended because I was given special treatment instead of my qualifications
You call it special treatment but you know damn well if you were a minority and there was an affirmative action program for you to get into Purdue or any other college you would not be offended and be excited and attend. Affirmative action says that the institution can't discriminate. Says nothing about special treatment. Once people get in, there are no "special treatment" as far the tests, quizzes and labs.

Anyhow, I don't know why y'all keep missing the point. Even though it helps, I'm not saying that is the only way to get into an elite school. I'm saying that Clarence Thomas and others got into Yale because of an affirmative action program. Then in his professional life he always ruled against affirmative action that would have helped other minorities like him get into these schools. Like the old saying, Thomas climbed up the ladder to the top. Then kicked that ladder out from under him so no one else can climb up.

Y'all act like racism does't exist anymore as far as college entrance. Isn't there a current scandal involving several elite institutions like Notre Dame and others that involved in price fixing financial aid programs.

This is one of the reasons that we still need affirmative action programs. Throughout the years, white women have benefited more from affirmative action programs more than anyone.

• Haha
Too bad Sen Scott didn’t get support from the “party for rights “ on his legislation. I bet Republicans would be called racists if they blocked similar legislation from a Black Democrat.
Tim Scott is lying. Most democrats in Congress do not support defunding the police. That is mainly the talking points of the AOC wing of the party. If anything, some members of Congress that do not support defund the police are for redirecting funds for better training for police, particularly when it comes to apprehending mentally ill suspects. What Tim Scott disagreed with other Senators about this bill is with choke holds. Tim Scott, along with the republicans do not want to ban choke holds. That is one of the main reasons that the bill died.

• Haha
Tim Scott is lying. Most democrats in Congress do not support defunding the police. That is mainly the talking points of the AOC wing of the party. If anything, some members of Congress that do not support defund the police are for redirecting funds for better training for police, particularly when it comes to apprehending mentally ill suspects. What Tim Scott disagreed with other Senators about this bill is with choke holds. Tim Scott, along with the republicans do not want to ban choke holds. That is one of the main reasons that the bill died.
Tim Scott is against choke holds and has had first hand experience of being pulled over because he is black. This is a sad reality in the black community. One of my wife’s coworkers who is a clean cut ex navy is black who kept getting pulled over by cops in Orange County CA. Lucky for him, he knew someone high up in the County and got this stopped in his case.

Disagree with you on the Dems defunding police. Look what has/is happening in major Dem controlled cities. Police presence has decreased and crime increased

Last edited:
Nope, the protects everyone's right to vote. The repubs voted for it before back on the 2000's.
First. Just because the bill is the same name doesnt mean it's the same language. This argument by those who advance it shows a complete lack of knowledge of the legislative process or its intentionally misleading. I'll ask, what in the previous bill that Republicans voted prior for had the same provisions for vote harvesting, mail balloting, and outlawing voter ID?

To follow-up, have you told your sources yet that a grandma can get a bottle of water while waiting in line to vote? Have you questioned yet why somebody would blatantly lie to you? If they lie about something so false what else are they lying about. And why are they afraid that you form an opinion based on reading the newly enacted laws?

Here's the fact's a majority pf African-Americans and non-whites support voter ID. It's been replicated in every poll - even by democratic polling groups. Voter ID is supported by many long-time civil rights leaders. Alveda King and Robert Woodson to name a couple.

It's important to have independent thought. Maybe listen to other perspective: Why We Black Leaders Support Voter ID Laws

Here's a couple excerpts since i know you most likely will ignore an opposing opinion. That last 2 I think are the most interesting contradictory to your orthodox.

To the contrary, a recent Rasmussen Reports poll found that 69% of Blacks and 82% of nonwhite minorities support voter ID. Another poll taken even more recently by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution found that a full two-thirds of Blacks in Georgia support voter ID. The data seems clear: A majority of Black Americans support voter ID laws.

This shouldn’t be surprising. Blacks know the value of the right to vote. We struggled to win that right in a country that for too long treated us as second-class citizens. We shed our blood so we could partake in American elections just like every other American citizen. We want to make sure that sacred right to vote, and the integrity of those elections, are protected.

Why then do opportunistic activists like Stacey Abrams pretend the entire Black community stands behind them and the radical Democrat Party? Why do they pretend that Black people are either opposed to voter ID or, even more offensively, that Blacks are incapable of obtaining IDs? The answer is in part because the elites, most of whom are white, have enabled them, taking it upon themselves to determine who the “leaders” of the Black community are and ignoring anyone else who suggests differently.

If every other ethnicity is required to show an ID to vote, why is the Black race considered incapable of doing so. This notion is absolutely insulting.

Give this b.s. up about white supremacy. Time to think and act for yourself vs what DemoRats what you to think.
Soon you will see there is more to freedom and life than the chains that the DemoRats put upon all of us that are holding we the people down!
Remember which party set slaves free.

First. Just because the bill is the same name doesnt mean it's the same language. This argument by those who advance it shows a complete lack of knowledge of the legislative process or its intentionally misleading. I'll ask, what in the previous bill that Republicans voted prior for had the same provisions for vote harvesting, mail balloting, and outlawing voter ID?

To follow-up, have you told your sources yet that a grandma can get a bottle of water while waiting in line to vote? Have you questioned yet why somebody would blatantly lie to you? If they lie about something so false what else are they lying about. And why are they afraid that you form an opinion based on reading the newly enacted laws?

Here's the fact's a majority pf African-Americans and non-whites support voter ID. It's been replicated in every poll - even by democratic polling groups. Voter ID is supported by many long-time civil rights leaders. Alveda King and Robert Woodson to name a couple.

It's important to have independent thought. Maybe listen to other perspective: Why We Black Leaders Support Voter ID Laws

Here's a couple excerpts since i know you most likely will ignore an opposing opinion. That last 2 I think are the most interesting contradictory to your orthodox.

To the contrary, a recent Rasmussen Reports poll found that 69% of Blacks and 82% of nonwhite minorities support voter ID. Another poll taken even more recently by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution found that a full two-thirds of Blacks in Georgia support voter ID. The data seems clear: A majority of Black Americans support voter ID laws.

This shouldn’t be surprising. Blacks know the value of the right to vote. We struggled to win that right in a country that for too long treated us as second-class citizens. We shed our blood so we could partake in American elections just like every other American citizen. We want to make sure that sacred right to vote, and the integrity of those elections, are protected.

Why then do opportunistic activists like Stacey Abrams pretend the entire Black community stands behind them and the radical Democrat Party? Why do they pretend that Black people are either opposed to voter ID or, even more offensively, that Blacks are incapable of obtaining IDs? The answer is in part because the elites, most of whom are white, have enabled them, taking it upon themselves to determine who the “leaders” of the Black community are and ignoring anyone else who suggests differently.

If every other ethnicity is required to show an ID to vote, why is the Black race considered incapable of doing so. This notion is absolutely insulting.
Pre-clearance was in the previous bills the repubs voted for like in the original 1960's Voting Rights Act. Yes, a lot blacks and people in general support voter ID. I support voter ID. I've said this over and over, it is the timing of when voter ID that has a lot of blacks in uproar. Voter ID did disenfranchised a lot of elderly black people that have been voting for decades. Now they had to present a picture ID they never had in years. Some cases no birth certificate to get an ID. And it wasn't until 2008 after Obama was elected that the repubs made it an issue. As far as Alveda King that is Dr. Martin Luther King's Gumbo/Sambo niece that Faux News has on all the time.

• Haha
Pre-clearance was in the previous bills the repubs voted for like in the original 1960's Voting Rights Act. Yes, a lot blacks and people in general support voter ID. I support voter ID. I've said this over and over, it is the timing of when voter ID that has a lot of blacks in uproar. Voter ID did disenfranchised a lot of elderly black people that have been voting for decades. Now they had to present a picture ID they never had in years. Some cases no birth certificate to get an ID. And it wasn't until 2008 after Obama was elected that the repubs made it an issue. As far as Alveda King that is Dr. Martin Luther King's Gumbo/Sambo niece that Faux News has on all the time.
So every black person you disagree with is a Gumbo Sambo? GD you are great for a laugh although tiresome. I'd love to know what black people with the actual ability to think for themselves think of idiots like you.

So every black person you disagree with is a Gumbo Sambo? GD you are great for a laugh although tiresome. I'd love to know what black people with the actual ability to think for themselves think of idiots like you.
Nope, I disagree with Michael Steele and he is not a GumboSambo. Colin Powell was not.

Speaking as a retired US Army officer, I always get a hoot out of these black four-star generals who tell us about all of the discrimination they faced during their careers.
Do you believe they got preferential treatment In some ways?

Do you believe they got preferential treatment In some ways?
I emphatically believe that they didn’t face any meaningful discrimination during their careers or they couldn’t possibly have been promoted to the rank of general. The Defense Officer Personnel Management Act (DOPMA) is a federal law that sets limits for promotion of military officers. It goes like this:

Promotion to:

First lieutenant/Lieutenant (junior grade)/(1LT/1stLt/1st Lt/LTJG) .............. All Fully Qualified

Captain/Lieutenant / (CPT/Capt/LT)....................................................................95%

Major/Lieutenant commander / (MAJ/Maj/LCDR)............................................80%

Lieutenant colonel/Commander / (LTC/LtCol/Lt Col/CDR)..............................70%

Colonel/Captain / (COL/Col/CAPT)........................................................................50%

Brigadier General / Commodore.............................................................................Less than 1%

Now, that doesn’t mean that your probability of making full colonel is 50%. It is:

.95 x .8 x .7 x .5 = .266 or 26.6%. And if you make that, the odds of making one-star general are:

0.266 x 0.01 = 0.0026 or about 0.26%. And most of those never get close to four stars.

So I don’t think any black 4-star general faced any real discrimination during his career or he would never have obtained that rank.

Last edited:
I emphatically believe that they didn’t face any meaningful discrimination during their careers or they couldn’t possibly have been promoted to the rank of general. The Defense Officer Personnel Management Act (DOPMA) is a federal law that sets limits for promotion of military officers. It goes like this:

Promotion to:

First lieutenant/Lieutenant (junior grade)/(1LT/1stLt/1st Lt/LTJG) .............. All Fully Qualified

Captain/Lieutenant / (CPT/Capt/LT)....................................................................95%

Major/Lieutenant commander / (MAJ/Maj/LCDR)............................................80%

Lieutenant colonel/Commander / (LTC/LtCol/Lt Col/CDR)..............................70%

Colonel/Captain / (COL/Col/CAPT)........................................................................50%

Brigadier General / Commodore.............................................................................Less than 1%

Now, that doesn’t mean that your probability of making full colonel is 50%. It is:

.95 x .8 x .7 x .5 = .266 or 26.6%. And if you make that, the odds of making one-star general are:

0.266 x 0.01 = 0.0026 or about 0.26%. And most of those never get close to four stars.

So I don’t think any black 4-star general faced any real discrimination during his career or he would never have obtained that rank.
I guess I’m not following. Do you believe these black officers were promoted because they were black and passed over more qualified personnel?

I guess I’m not following. Do you believe these black officers were promoted because they were black and passed over more qualified personnel?
That is not merely my opinion, it is a documented fact. I was on several promotion boards in the 1990s and they had "goals" for promotion of blacks, hispanics and women. These Goals walked like quotas and swam like quotas and quacked like quotas. But you dare not call them quotas. They were Goals.

Problem is, there were no goals for white men. A white officer who had been passed over sued the Army and won. Here's the story from the NY Times in 2002:

Army Promotion Process Is Held Unconstitutional by U.S. Judge​

• By The Associated Press
    New York Times March 5, 2002
A federal judge ruled today that the Army's equal opportunity promotion process is unconstitutional and allowed a retired lieutenant colonel who is white to continue with a lawsuit that contends the policy denied him advancement.

The retiree, Raymond Saunders, served in the Army from 1974 to 1997 and was twice denied promotions to full colonel. Such promotions are handled by a selection board, which recommends the top candidates for promotion each year to the Army secretary. The board is guided in its decisions by instructions that include equal opportunity goals.

For instance, the board, after compiling a list of top candidates, must determine whether their promotion would result in comparable advancement rates for all races and both sexes.
If not, the board is to raise the rankings of lower-ranked minority and women officers if past discrimination is found in their files.

In 1996, the board recommended its top applicants with no adjustments. In 1997, when Colonel Saunders applied a second time, the board made one adjustment in the list for a woman applicant.
In his suit, filed in 1999 against the Army, Colonel Saunders maintained that he was barred as a white man from advancement by the equal opportunity policies.

He contended that race and sex targets unconstitutionally guide both the initial rankings of top candidates by the board and the subsequent review of the list.

In United States District Court in Washington, Judge Royce C. Lamberth agreed that the policies created race and sex classifications that resulted in preferential treatment of minority members and women during both phases of the board process. Though Army lawyers argued that the racial classifications were necessary to correct discrimination, Judge Lamberth disagreed.

''The Constitution prohibits the Army from using its policy view to encourage special treatment for minorities and females,'' he said. The Army argued that Colonel Saunders had not suffered because the board made no adjustments in 1996 and that he would not have been promoted anyway in 1997.

Judge Lamberth denied the Army's request to dismiss the case, saying its evidence was inadequate.
The judge also denied Colonel Saunders's request for an immediate decision on the Army's liability, saying he still must prove he was specifically harmed.

Reactions: SKYDOG
If voting is important to poor old blacks, then they’ll find a way to vote with in the rules. If it’s not, they won’t.
Personally, I hope fewer democrat blacks vote, but mostly because I want to see you whine more.
Church bus don’t run on Saturdays once every 4 years?

Are those the same Capital Police who ran and hid when thugs broke into the Capital on Jan 6th?
Did not see any Capitol police run and hide. But it is the same Capitol police that got the hell beat out of them. The same Capitol police that failed to open fire on those undesirables.

So who is the bill “protecting”? Oh, the unvaccinated people who don’t have IDs? Because they are one in the same…right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT