ADVERTISEMENT

‘20 recruit class final member?

I bet we end up with 4 signees in this class. Either Nojel or Haarms goes pro, or someone transfers.
Yes, 4 will be brought in, think Haarms returns, Nojel is 50/50, however, in likelyhood someone will transfer if the past is any indication.

Would Carlson pretty much make this class bet case scenario? Two guards that can play 1-3 and a 4 that could have an immediate impact in the biggest position of need? I would say go all in on him!

If Morton can be affective without the ball in his hands and get his shooting percentages up he has the chance to be something special.

Ivey is an absolute stud. He can handle the ball, attack, shoot, and defend. Add in his athleticism and it’s difficult to see any weaknesses in his game. I couldn’t be more excited for him to be a Boiler!

Unfortunately I think the boat has sailed on guards so Purdue won’t be adding Davis, Cryer, and Pack who were all 3 guys I was high on. I think that Painter showed with what he got out of Carsen and Cline that he can do well with guards and I love that the first two pickups are really good guards that check a lot of boxes.

Intriguing will be what to do with Dickinson. I don’t think you say no if he comes calling, but Purdue could most use a stretch big that can guard the 4. IMO that is Carlson and he is good enough to have an immediate impact. If Purdue lands him I am not sure I could be any happier with the class. I would also call that a pretty decent job of striking while the iron is hot.

Thoughts? To me this just feels like best case scenario so far. Put the Blitz on Carlson and reel him in. I would love to see a final four and adding Carlson to this class to go with what they already have could get that done. Choo Choo.

Getting back on track..... Ivey mentions unprevoked in interview below he is trying to get Hunter Dickinson to join the class. It sounds like they both hit it off during their official visits the same weekend last fall.

Like already mentioned the 3rd scholarship is likely down to Dickinson, Carlson, or Powell. Will be interesting to see if other names emerge.

https://www.jconline.com/videos/spo...-commit-jaden-ivey-eybl-westfield/1175421001/

Oh I dont think "only" my opinion is credible. I just thinks yours is trash. Mathboy and Andy seem to consistently have fine opinions among many others. In fact almost everyone has usually reasonable opinons, some are a bit overly optimistic to be sure, but its what you would expect from fans. Yours? Just coming of COY, just comes of toxic. I hear IU is consistently looking for a new coach I bet you would get along with that fan base.

Good thing for me that I consider your opinion.....not even really an opinion. Just a garbled up off topic rambling mindless screed. There, our convo should be over. LOL

But you seemed to understand that Cordova was the problem when people pointed it out. She raided the athletic funds, restricted funds for recruiting and paying assistant coaches (while giving her husband a do-nothing job with a 6-figure salary), and then you conclude it was Painter's fault. If those are your opinions, they seem to argue against each other.

I do understand that Cordova wasn't awesome. However, she took over in 2007 and left 2012. 2008-2010 Painter finished 2nd, 2nd and 1st in the B10G under Cordova. 2012-2014 were the dark times after she left. He excelled with her in office and suffered after. So, here's the deal: If you're right and Cordova was the sole and singular problem, then we have nothing to worry about from this point on. Right? You shouldn't even be worrying about the future or my points. Be confident that everything will be great from this point on and trust me, I'll be pretty happy about it. My only point is that I believe that if he ever takes us down again, he'll be let go. And I'll be ok with it.

Reactions: hgentis
Yes....with rich Corinthian Leather.....and unmatched luxury.

1976chryslercordoba.jpg
Holy crap,... you are really showing your age with that one! :);)

I do understand that Cordova wasn't awesome. However, she took over in 2007 and left 2012. 2008-2010 Painter finished 2nd, 2nd and 1st in the B10G under Cordova. 2012-2014 were the dark times after she left. He excelled with her in office and suffered after. So, here's the deal: If you're right and Cordova was the sole and singular problem, then we have nothing to worry about from this point on. Right? You shouldn't even be worrying about the future or my points. Be confident that everything will be great from this point on and trust me, I'll be pretty happy about it. My only point is that I believe that if he ever takes us down again, he'll be let go. And I'll be ok with it.
Um, worried about the future? There's only one poster on this board who keeps talking about firing Painter if said poster doesn't get his way in the future. lol

BTW, those recruits that Painter secured for those good years were all within 90 miles of Purdue's campus. Doesn't take a great deal of thought to understand you don't need much of a budget for that. And even with that, it was widely reported that the cars they were required to use for their recruiting trips were, um, ridiculous. But if you think that Painter should have been able to only recruit within 100 miles of campus with low-budget transportation and still meet your 'high standards', it's no wonder you have been unhappy -- and are worried about your future happiness. But you should understand by now that your happiness doesn't depend on Painter.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
You got it right. Painter's recruiting during the Cordova era really was poor. That was reflected in the teams we put on the floor thereafter. Glad you figured it out.

You got it right. Painter's recruiting during the Cordova era really was poor. That was reflected in the teams we put on the floor thereafter. Glad you figured it out.
So, you do always just make stuff up. Thanks for clearing that up. LOL

Um, worried about the future? There's only one poster on this board who keeps talking about firing Painter if said poster doesn't get his way in the future. lol

BTW, those recruits that Painter secured for those good years were all within 90 miles of Purdue's campus. Doesn't take a great deal of thought to understand you don't need much of a budget for that. And even with that, it was widely reported that the cars they were required to use for their recruiting trips were, um, ridiculous. But if you think that Painter should have been able to only recruit within 100 miles of campus with low-budget transportation and still meet your 'high standards', it's no wonder you have been unhappy -- and are worried about your future happiness. But you should understand by now that your happiness doesn't depend on Painter.
Thanks for the false narrative. So much inaccuracies I'm not eve going to waste my time. Later.

I've often said if Purdue could sign the top talent of Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and Illinois they would have a final 4 team every year! And no need to look elsewhere. The problem is we allow other schools to come into our sphere of influence and constantly steal our best prospects!

Thanks for the false narrative. So much inaccuracies I'm not eve going to waste my time. Later.
Hmmm. Perhaps you should read your own posts before you hit the "Post Reply" button. Or ask someone to proofread it for you. It would save you from having to deny posting such nonsense.

Those 08-10 teams were recruited BEFORE Cordova took over. Hay was in the barn. Part of the Mizzou negotiation was for increased assistant pay and recruiting budget. We were losing assistants to lateral moves and making former basketball players squeeze into economy and compact cars for recruiting trips.

With all the recent comments he has made about Painter and how he plays and the hard pull by Ivey, I think the final member will be Dickinson. I think 4 is a bigger need than the 5, but can you really say no to a 5 star? Especially if you think Haarms will go early. But if Painter doesn’t get a 4 this go round, it becomes a desperate need the following year.

I believe Tre is working his buns off trying to become a 4! And if successful, signing Hunter makes a lot of sense and then look for a of or sf in 2021

Reactions: ChuckJr
Dickinson is Painter's #1 priority for 2020. It always has been. Until Hunter tells him he is no longer interested, he'll remain Matt's #1 priority. I don't see Matt giving up on him.

I we signa major player like Dickinson in this 2020 class, I will be over the wall. Painter will have some serious talent on future teams, not too much unlike this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: milkdude
With all the recent comments he has made about Painter and how he plays and the hard pull by Ivey, I think the final member will be Dickinson. I think 4 is a bigger need than the 5, but can you really say no to a 5 star? Especially if you think Haarms will go early. But if Painter doesn’t get a 4 this go round, it becomes a desperate need the following year.
How many “committable” offers do you think we have out to 2020 player’s right now? Dickinson and Carlson? First come first served?

I believe Tre is working his buns off trying to become a 4! And if successful, signing Hunter makes a lot of sense and then look for a of or sf in 2021
I also hope that Painter has information about Gillis' knee that is good news for the future.

Reactions: Schnelk
I've often said if Purdue could sign the top talent of Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and Illinois they would have a final 4 team every year! And no need to look elsewhere. The problem is we allow other schools to come into our sphere of influence and constantly steal our best prospects!

MSU, IU, Michigan, osu, ND, Illinois all say the same thing

Too bad painter “allows” izzo to take the best Michigan recruits every year

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
Going into this statement with the caveat that I only have watched one video from Jan 19 of Hunter Dickinson, my takeaway was that he didn’t show much athleticism and I would be concerned with him in pick and roll situations similarly to what we saw when we had Haas. He definitely has some skill and could create similar type matchup problems on O, but with us constructing a roster with length, athleticism and defensive capabilities, I just wonder if he may not be the ideal top priority for 2020. I sure wish we had more knowledge of how ED could contribute going forward as I suspect that he may be the opposite of Dickinson (very athletic, gifted shot blocker, capable of defending pick and roll but not much of a post presence.

If Carlson is anything like Hummel in his style of play / skill set, I would personally prefer that with the other guys on our roster.

I know CMP could make either work in the system, I just wonder about the comparative upside of one versus the other. And, it’s soooo nice to even be thinking that we are even in a position to get either one of these guys.

It's interesting the higher the player is rated the more criticism he receives on his game.

If Purdue and Coach Painter pulls the third jewel in and they all sign on the dotted line, imo he has moved Purdue and himself to the next level of recruiting. Not at the top with the Blue Bloods but at the level right below them!

If we sign Dickinson, this board will go nuts.

OK, since I'm not a tweeter, twitter or whatever it's called. Does anyone follow Dickinson on Twitter? Does he show his hand at all.
Is Lil Archie tweeting that he thinks about him, a lot?

Reactions: mathboy
I think Dickinson is an unlikely 3rd member of this class. We have some really strong and well financed competition for his commitment. I would be delighted if he choose Purdue, but I am not expecting it. I suspect we will get one of the other guys we are recruiting for this spot. I think they are all very good players and will be important contributors. I just think Dickinson is BIG ready right now.

Over the next few years, I can see us putting a Final Four team on the floor. Each year the team gets better. An FF berth is as much a factor of the draw, the matchups, and the team's talent. It looks like we are getting the talent part down. Just hope we don't have to play the eventual champion. (Like we have 3 times so far, right?)

I think Dickinson is an unlikely 3rd member of this class. We have some really strong and well financed competition for his commitment. I would be delighted if he choose Purdue, but I am not expecting it. I suspect we will get one of the other guys we are recruiting for this spot. I think they are all very good players and will be important contributors. I just think Dickinson is BIG ready right now.

Over the next few years, I can see us putting a Final Four team on the floor. Each year the team gets better. An FF berth is as much a factor of the draw, the matchups, and the team's talent. It looks like we are getting the talent part down. Just hope we don't have to play the eventual champion. (Like we have 3 times so far, right?)

Dickinson would be a great get, but I'm convinced that the key to deep tourney runs is having a stable of guards who can get their own shot and wings in that 6'7-6'9 range who can run, shoot, defend and rebound (Wheeler) simply because a 7 footer who primarily plays on the block can more easily be neutralized.

OK, since I'm not a tweeter, twitter or whatever it's called. Does anyone follow Dickinson on Twitter? Does he show his hand at all.
Is Lil Archie tweeting that he thinks about him, a lot?

No, I haven’t seen anything on Twitter saying he is leaning towards us. He has stated things are wide open in his recruitment right now so I think it will be awhile before he announces.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Wouldn't mind Dickinson on the squad at all, but to me, Morton was a much bigger get and I think Ivey is going to shock people how good he is. Based on what I have seen from Dickinson, he is a very good player but to me seems like a leaner Haas...with the upsides and downsides. I think pure athleticism will always beat height and I agree with the earlier post about guard play making the difference down the stretch...

No matter how it shakes out with that last scholly, I think we already won with the two we already got. Can't wait to see them play.

Dickinson has better range than Haas. I think he compares more to Tyler Zeller. One article said he is an excellent passer out of the post. With him, Tre, and Morton, the ball will be whizzing around in the motion offense.

I would agree with the range for sure, but I don't think he is as fast or athletic as Zeller was at his age. I also agree on the passing bit...much better than Haas.

Reactions: TX4GB and ChuckJr
I would agree with the range for sure, but I don't think he is as fast or athletic as Zeller was at his age. I also agree on the passing bit...much better than Haas.
I think everybody forgets the advantage of the Zellers at an early age of having two other 7 footers on the backyard court to work against daily.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Dickinson plays against some great competition at DeMatha. I wonder how they would have done playing against each other. I would say advantage DeMatha over the Washington Hatchets, ha. Tyler stiffed us when we had the Baby Boilers so not a big fan.

Dickinson plays against some great competition at DeMatha. I wonder how they would have done playing against each other. I would say advantage DeMatha over the Washington Hatchets, ha. Tyler stiffed us when we had the Baby Boilers so not a big fan.
I think Tyler was lost in the shuffle of Gene leaving and Matt arriving.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT