ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Romeo

He grew up a die hard IU fan. That is why. Heck he was in the stands at Assembly Hall when Bobby threw the chair. He used to draw up plays in his driveway as a kid pretending to be the IU coach. His Dad said he watched the 1987 Championship game so much that he wore out the VHS tape.

But it's highly unlikely Brad ever coaches college again. He's very happy in the NBA. We missed the boat on Stevens by about 5 years.

So did Painter.

So did a lot of people.

Some wise up.

The Indiana Fanbase is extraordinarily happy with Archie Miller as the coach. There is quite literally zero talk of Brad Stevens or any other coach as a better choice than Archie Miller from any IU fan that I’ve spoken with in a long time ( since we started to win some Big Ten games last season).

And, for what it’s worth, there are some very strong winds blowing towards Bloomington Indiana in the Romeo Langford recruitment.

At this time, so are we.

We've been quite happy with the selection process of IU coaches (both FB and BB) for quite some time.

Although, I would have loved to have seen what Hoeppner would have done with the program. I believe he and Mallory are the only high quality hires IU has made in the 2 primary sports over the past 30 years (with a "maybe" for Archie), IMHO.

He grew up a die hard IU fan. That is why. Heck he was in the stands at Assembly Hall when Bobby threw the chair. He used to draw up plays in his driveway as a kid pretending to be the IU coach. His Dad said he watched the 1987 Championship game so much that he wore out the VHS tape.

But it's highly unlikely Brad ever coaches college again. He's very happy in the NBA. We missed the boat on Stevens by about 5 years.
As was said above, Matt Painter's room in HS was solid IU according to his mother. Pat Knight was and is one of Matt's best friends. Little kids grow up and become men and their interests change.

The Indiana Fanbase is extraordinarily happy with Archie Miller as the coach. There is quite literally zero talk of Brad Stevens or any other coach as a better choice than Archie Miller from any IU fan that I’ve spoken with in a long time ( since we started to win some Big Ten games last season).

And, for what it’s worth, there are some very strong winds blowing towards Bloomington Indiana in the Romeo Langford recruitment.
Why wouldn't he go to IU? Close to home, Archie is pretty lax with his players, Mike Davis was able to get the grading standards lowered, guessing Romeo's dad would be able to find "work" in Bloomington. As for the lack of Brad Stevens conversations around IU....after six years you'd think even the most "IU Scott/Courtsense" fan would realize by now there is no chance in hell he'd ever come to IU. Matter of fact, I'd guess the only college job he would consider would be Duke...and K isn't leaving anytime soon. I've heard from guys in Lewville that he may listen to Mack....my guess, Kansas or Vandy.

Why wouldn't he go to IU? Close to home, Archie is pretty lax with his players, Mike Davis was able to get the grading standards lowered, guessing Romeo's dad would be able to find "work" in Bloomington. As for the lack of Brad Stevens conversations around IU....after six years you'd think even the most "IU Scott/Courtsense" fan would realize by now there is no chance in hell he'd ever come to IU. Matter of fact, I'd guess the only college job he would consider would be Duke...and K isn't leaving anytime soon. I've heard from guys in Lewville that he may listen to Mack....my guess, Kansas or Vandy.

RMK seems to have a more positive view of Archie than you do.Do the 2 of you disagree often?

"Patience is not something a lot of fans have,” Knight said. “But this kid (Miller) is going to do a good job. Why? Because he can coach. Most of the coaches I’ve known, can’t coach. You folks are going to appreciate him, but it ain’t gonna happen in a year.”

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...hat-he-sees-iu-coach-archie-miller/381994002/

RMK seems to have a more positive view of Archie than you do.Do the 2 of you disagree often?

"Patience is not something a lot of fans have,” Knight said. “But this kid (Miller) is going to do a good job. Why? Because he can coach. Most of the coaches I’ve known, can’t coach. You folks are going to appreciate him, but it ain’t gonna happen in a year.”

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...hat-he-sees-iu-coach-archie-miller/381994002/
RMK has pretty much become a failed bitter ex-coach that is rarely even a talking head today. My guess is that he would support anything that he secretly believes would hurt IU. He was a great coach but an ass as a human being at one time. With the passage of time he is now just an ass.

The hated Bob Knight being praised on a Purdue board when it makes IU look better. What a bunch of phonies. Knight's curse still lives thanks to a donation every year to a lady in Louisiana.:(

How bad has it become in Bloomington that their fanbase has to wish ill will on another school just to enhance their chance at landing an Indiana kid?

I honestly don't care where he goes for a year, but Archie is the worst coach of the three.

Yup; just like you said before last year - worst coach and destined to finish (not sure I remember exactly) 13th in the B1G last year. Apparently Bryce Drew’s 20 loss last place SEC team was better coached than Archie’s 6th place squad.

And wish ill on programs that flat out arrange for six figure cash payments to recruits through shoe companies? While I did not wish Kansas ill will in my previous post - yeah, I’m more than okay with them being exposed.

Hell, I’ll bring it full circle for the Purdue board; Painter and Purdue are clean, have student athletes, and play sound fundamentally.
Purdue is pretty much everything Kansas isn’t, and the Purdue fan base should be damn happy this is being exposed.

How bad has it become in Bloomington that their fanbase has to wish ill will on another school just to enhance their chance at landing an Indiana kid?

I honestly don't care where he goes for a year, but Archie is the worst coach of the three.
I am not so sure I agree with this. Any school that openly cheats at recruiting deserves what it gets when they get caught.

If Kansas and NCS cheated by pushing money to recruits, then I think they forfeit any games those recruits played in, and they need to take a break from competing in the NCAA tournament for a few years. They obviously have their priorities mixed up and need a time out.

That is not wish ill on any school. That is the desire to see justice done.

As someone pointed out in another thread, the KU issue will help us in the recruitment of Malik Hall.

Reactions: pboiler18
If Kansas and NCS cheated by pushing money to recruits, then I think they forfeit any games those recruits played in, and they need to take a break from competing in the NCAA tournament for a few years.
I agree somewhat but think that is still too weak. They should do a 10 year show cause ban for any coach involved. Hitting the school with a post season ban doesn't stop ticket sales from happening. Dismantling the coaching staff and removing them from making the money they do, that changes things.

Yup; just like you said before last year - worst coach and destined to finish (not sure I remember exactly) 13th in the B1G last year. Apparently Bryce Drew’s 20 loss last place SEC team was better coached than Archie’s 6th place squad.

And wish ill on programs that flat out arrange for six figure cash payments to recruits through shoe companies? While I did not wish Kansas ill will in my previous post - yeah, I’m more than okay with them being exposed.

Hell, I’ll bring it full circle for the Purdue board; Painter and Purdue are clean, have student athletes, and play sound fundamentally.
Purdue is pretty much everything Kansas isn’t, and the Purdue fan base should be damn happy this is being exposed.
SEC put 8 teams into the show. B10 put 4. Much tougher wins in that conference. Was it a good year for Drew and Vandy...nope. Was it a good year for IU with a much better roster....nope. They both under-acheived, didn't they?

But you're very right about Purdue and Painter. And I agree with you again...if any school is caught pushing $$$$ at players of their families....fire the coach on the spot with at least a 10 year show cause.

He isn't considering UoL. Vandy has fallen waaaay back. All the wind is blowing to Bloomington, which is good, because I would rather Indiana talent stay in Indiana no matter if it's PU, IU, ND, or Butler.
If he does choose iu, at VERY best they'll be a sweet 16 team for the one year he's there. Then its back to being a bubble team just like they've been for the majority of the past 16 years.
We'll for sure see "We're Back!" t-shirts, rings being handed out, and nets being cut down...announcing to the world they are back to being a slightly above average team. Showing just how blue blood they are. ;)

If he does choose iu, at VERY best they'll be a sweet 16 team for the one year he's there. Then its back to being a bubble team just like they've been for the majority of the past 16 years.
We'll for sure see "We're Back!" t-shirts, rings being handed out, and nets being cut down...announcing to the world they are back to being a slightly above average team. Showing just how blue blood they are. ;)
I agree with the Sweet 16 being their ceiling next year with Romeo. However, I don't know that they will take a big step back if they pull in Brooks and TJD (which they are favored to do). They have serious recruiting momentum right now. This is something we have seen before with Crean, but he wasn't a very good in game coach. I'm thinking Miller might be a bit better in that department. Time will tell.

I agree with the Sweet 16 being their ceiling next year with Romeo. However, I don't know that they will take a big step back if they pull in Brooks and TJD (which they are favored to do). They have serious recruiting momentum right now. This is something we have seen before with Crean, but he wasn't a very good in game coach. I'm thinking Miller might be a bit better in that department. Time will tell.
A lot of "ifs" in your statements. Other than their delusional fan base stalking teenage boys in person and in social media, there is absolutely zero evidence that they have any "momentum" right now.

A lot of "ifs" in your statements. Other than their delusional fan base stalking teenage boys in person and in social media, there is absolutely zero evidence that they have any "momentum" right now.
There was only one "If" in my statement. They are getting Romeo. It's a done deal. That would give them the top 3 players from Indiana, and a top 50 player from Ohio. That's serious momentum.

There was only one "If" in my statement. They are getting Romeo. It's a done deal. That would give them the top 3 players from Indiana, and a top 50 player from Ohio. That's serious momentum.
"...if they pull in Brooks and TJD..." That's two ifs. You were counting them in your "momentum" claim. And Romeo is a done deal? Where have you seen this? You talk more confidently about the clown pants than most iu fans. Odd.

Reactions: Purdue85 and BBG
"...if they pull in Brooks and TJD..." That's two ifs. You were counting them in your "momentum" claim. And Romeo is a done deal? Where have you seen this? You talk more confidently about the clown pants than most iu fans. Odd.
I know Romeo is a done deal, because I'm reading the signs. All the national analysts are starting to predict IU. Vandy insiders believe they are out of it. His announcement will take place in his high school gym and it will be open to the public. There is no way they would allow that place to fill up with 8k IU fans only for him to pick Vandy or Kansas. It's over.

Anyone who gives IU any sort of credit is obviously an IU fan :rolleyes:.
You're doing more than just giving them credit - your statements read as if you're actively rooting for them. "They have serious recruiting momentum right now." I haven't read that statement ANYWHERE on ANY iu board but from you on a Purdue board. Again, odd.

Reactions: Purdue85
You're doing more than just giving them credit - your statements read as if you're actively rooting for them. "They have serious recruiting momentum right now." I haven't read that statement ANYWHERE on ANY iu board but from you on a Purdue board. Again, odd.
I mean I guess it would be your definition of "serious recruiting momentum". Having a class with four 4* and a 5*, I would call serious recruiting momentum. I said we had serious recruiting momentum when we picked up Biggie. We didn't sustain that and they might not either.

I know Romeo is a done deal, because I'm reading the signs. All the national analysts are starting to predict IU. Vandy insiders believe they are out of it. His announcement will take place in his high school gym and it will be open to the public. There is no way they would allow that place to fill up with 8k IU fans only for him to pick Vandy or Kansas. It's over.

That argument is pretty strong. For the sake of imagining, I'd LOVE to see him pick KU or Vandy after filling the gym with 8k IU fans. Talk about "worst day ever" for those 8k...

On a serious note, IU does have some momentum. I'm not pro-IU, other than the generic pro-B1G and pro-Indiana support. This just happens when new coaches come in to programs with banners (even dusty ones) and recruits hear something new, so I think it's fair to say that and not be labeled an IU supporter.

But if you look at the last decade, IU has pretty consistently had better recruiting classes than Purdue. It sucks, but we've had more consistency and less coaching turnover - I'd take both of those over recruiting in a heartbeat (unless you could guarantee me a championship).

That argument is pretty strong. For the sake of imagining, I'd LOVE to see him pick KU or Vandy after filling the gym with 8k IU fans. Talk about "worst day ever" for those 8k...

On a serious note, IU does have some momentum. I'm not pro-IU, other than the generic pro-B1G and pro-Indiana support. This just happens when new coaches come in to programs with banners (even dusty ones) and recruits hear something new, so I think it's fair to say that and not be labeled an IU supporter.

But if you look at the last decade, IU has pretty consistently had better recruiting classes than Purdue. It sucks, but we've had more consistency and less coaching turnover - I'd take both of those over recruiting in a heartbeat (unless you could guarantee me a championship).
I agree with everything in this post. The IU fans might burn down NA high school if he picks Vandy or KU haha.

Reactions: overthetop16

A little reality here. NA's gym only holds 4100 and a decent percentage of NA fans and the area as a whole are UK and U of L fans.

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT