ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Romeo

WHEW - that was brutal ... and YAY Painter, assuming he also saw what the future held.

I disagree, but will not into a debate as there is no way to determine the answer
You are correct, there is no way to determine it. However, if it ever came out that Painter backed off Romeo and Romeo had interest I would start 10 threads a day about how Painter should be fired.

All Romeo's dad said was that Cal didn't use Romeo the way he promised he would, right? Hmmmm that sounds vaguely familiar....

Cal didn't promise to use Romeo a certain way in the U19, it was at Kentucky. Basing Cal's coaching ability in a setting like the U19 is asinine. There are a dozen kids, Cal knows maybe 2 or 3 of them, and has to play all of them. It really seems like Romeo didn't blow Cal away like Cal wanted, then Romeo hurt his back and couldn't change Cal's mind. And now it's a finger pointing contest.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
sounds like his dad is Lavar Ball Jr of II.

Glad we are out of those sweepstakes.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/college-.../17188424/romeo-langford-father-john-calipari
If you think Tim Langford is close to Lavar Ball, it must be that it's been a couple weeks since you've seen Lavar talking to post-game LA reporters, pulling his kids out of high school to train them in Lithuania, going on talk shows, going on ESPN, putting his face anywhere there's a camera, giving a quote to the TMZs of the world, etc.... and thus you've somehow forgotten what a true off-his-rocker kind of guy Lavar is.

If you think Tim Langford is close to Lavar Ball, it must be that it's been a couple weeks since you've seen Lavar talking to post-game LA reporters, pulling his kids out of high school to train them in Lithuania, going on talk shows, going on ESPN, putting his face anywhere there's a camera, giving a quote to the TMZs of the world, etc.... and thus you've somehow forgotten what a true off-his-rocker kind of guy Lavar is.
That's why I prefaced as a Jr - not the real deal. I know how nuts Lavar is, I have enjoyed watching the circus sideshow.

I'm not going to mention the individual by name, but even at Purdue we have seen parents be very vocal that their kid was not "used as promised" or "used in the correct way". If Romeo was a Purdue commit no one here would care that his dad was throwing shade at Cal.
You are correct, there is no way to determine it. However, if it ever came out that Painter backed off Romeo and Romeo had interest I would start 10 threads a day about how Painter should be fired.

All Romeo's dad said was that Cal didn't use Romeo the way he promised he would, right? Hmmmm that sounds vaguely familiar....
I was far more concerned that Romeo discussed how he didn't respect Cal's ability to adapt to the game after being in the huddle ... I am not that concerned about the Dad, but what would Romeo do to team chemistry. Again, we'll never know, but there is a predictor.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
I was far more concerned that Romeo discussed how he didn't respect Cal's ability to adapt to the game after being in the huddle ... I am not that concerned about the Dad, but what would Romeo do to team chemistry. Again, we'll never know, but there is a predictor.
I watched him play a couple of times. Granted I'm not in the huddle, but I've never heard a bad word about the kid from anybody. Something must be going right in the chemistry department, they came a last second shot away from making another state title game with him on the roster. The way I read that article, Romeo told his dad - in private - that he didn't think Cal had command of the team, then the dad (for some unknown reason) decided to provide that in an article. That's the part that seems odd to me.

I watched him play a couple of times. Granted I'm not in the huddle, but I've never heard a bad word about the kid from anybody. Something must be going right in the chemistry department, they came a last second shot away from making another state title game with him on the roster. The way I read that article, Romeo told his dad - in private - that he didn't think Cal had command of the team, then the dad (for some unknown reason) decided to provide that in an article. That's the part that seems odd to me.
Could be that Romeo and his family are getting tons of pressure from individuals as to why he should go to UK...and this may be a way to relieve that pressure from Romeo as he goes to make his decision. Let people know why Romeo has moved away from Kentucky and get people to leave him alone a bit more so he can concentrate on Vandy, IU, and Kansas.

Could be that Romeo and his family are getting tons of pressure from individuals as to why he should go to UK...and this may be a way to relieve that pressure from Romeo as he goes to make his decision. Let people know why Romeo has moved away from Kentucky and get people to leave him alone a bit more so he can concentrate on Vandy, IU, and Kansas.
Interesting thought. Could be. Although I'd have thought if that were going to bubble up it would have come up long before now. UK hasn't really been in the running for a while (as far as I know) and Louisville was dumped after hooker-gate. The only thing recent in the state of Kentucky is Romeo saying UL wasn't going to get back into the mix even with their new coach. Just kind of weird timing, but you might be right.

Interesting thought. Could be. Although I'd have thought if that were going to bubble up it would have come up long before now. UK hasn't really been in the running for a while (as far as I know) and Louisville was dumped after hooker-gate. The only thing recent in the state of Kentucky is Romeo saying UL wasn't going to get back into the mix even with their new coach. Just kind of weird timing, but you might be right.
UK fans are a pretty...ummm, how do I say this nicely....passionate bunch.

Reactions: Statey
Good thread - collectively smart opinions (in my opinion).

Romeo doesn't EVER say much. Strange that Tim decided to throw shade, but when he does, it usually is to let reality seep out.

FWIW, if any of you saw that US v Canada U19 game, you would be well aware that the far more talented team was beaten by one player (RJ Barrett), and that Calipari did next to nothing to adjust when Barrett got on a roll.

the IU fans will come out with pitchforks if he doesn’t sign. Romeo would have been better off committing to Vandy early if that is where he ends up. It has been a circus.

sounds like his dad is Lavar Ball Jr of II.

Glad we are out of those sweepstakes.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/college-.../17188424/romeo-langford-father-john-calipari
What? If he were like Lavar Ball he wouldn’t care about coaching since Alford’s coaching abilities are average at best. Ball just wanted his kids to play for UCLA because of location and name recognition and if Tim Langford wanted that he certainly wouldn’t favor IU or Vandy over UK.

I like that the Langford’s are evaluating the coach that Romeo will play for.

Reactions: echs86 and GregJM24
What? If he were like Lavar Ball he wouldn’t care about coaching since Alford’s coaching abilities are average at best. Ball just wanted his kids to play for UCLA because of location and name recognition and if Tim Langford wanted that he certainly wouldn’t favor IU or Vandy over UK.

Umm, did you not read the story? He said did try to get back in with UK. Dad is screwing son over with his meddling.

Anyone else here not pick up when they see the person calling is not someone they are interested in talking to?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bethboilerfan

Yep, Alford's a terrible coach. Loses six players and still makes the tourney.

Reactions: KisteK and cjf04
Yep, Alford's a terrible coach. Loses six players and still makes the tourney.

Ehhhhhhh....don't disagree that Alford is a good coach.....but I think there are better arguments for why that is true besides the fact that his team this year made the tourney....don't think that team had any business being in the tourney, certainly not compared to some that got left out. With that said, I understand your point TD2!

Ehhhhhhh....don't disagree that Alford is a good coach.....but I think there are better arguments for why that is true besides the fact that his team this year made the tourney....don't think that team had any business being in the tourney, certainly not compared to some that got left out. With that said, I understand your point TD2!
This coming year will be the make it or leave for Steve...he might have two more but with five 5 stars and six 4 stars on his roster he better step up. I believe only Duke has a better incoming class.

This coming year will be the make it or leave for Steve...he might have two more but with five 5 stars and six 4 stars on his roster he better step up. I believe only Duke has a better incoming class.
He's got a much better chance now that the team cancer left the country.

LMAO at the fanbase that has a players parent threatening to transfer on this message board earlier in the year.

LMAO at a fanbase that is so friggin' desperate they have to recruit Dad.

Dad.

Might as well have him running the team on the bench.

Dad.

Then again, given the recent state of affairs in Blowmington, it might be an improvement.

“I just told him, ‘You came in our house, said you couldn’t wait to coach our son and do this and that. You had the opportunity before his back started bothering him. I didn’t appreciate it because you said you wanted to coach him and you had the chance to do it.’”

Dude.

Really??!

The B1G defenders are gonna LOVE this guy.

Not to mention the opposing arenas.

Wow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT