ADVERTISEMENT

OT: George Floyd

Live look at crazy PF1 screaming about race yet again.
giphy.gif

I clearly strike a nerve with you boys.

This was not directed at George Floyd’s death. It was in response to a stat provided by another poster. Are we moving to fast for you to keep up?

You made a blanket statement. I refuted it. Apologies if that triggered you at all.

And every time it happens, the person should be punished severely. This dude should go to prison for life. The problem is that very often cops keep getting with this sht. If you make it clear that there are real consequences, maybe they will think harder before doing something so careless at best and homicidal at worst.
No the problem is that this happens at least dozens of times a day but the officer lets up just before the pulse is gone or isn't captured by a cell phone so nothing is done.

Reactions: BoilerBF
When this is the common refrain for anything involving a particular race, yes... it is. This is the very problem, that such a wide swath of white people believe nothing is race related.

Do you think this incident was race related? Show your work.

Reactions: atlboiler2156
Any reason the tv media is very concerned/outraged about social distancing at outdoor government shutdown protests and at beaches.

But when it comes to other civil protests, rioting, looting.....they couldn't care less about social distancing?

Neither is much of a risk for Covid 19 spread...but very interesting to see media double standard.

Reactions: ahhculdee
Any reason the tv media is very concerned/outraged about social distancing at outdoor government shutdown protests and at beaches.

But when it comes to other civil protests, rioting, looting.....they couldn't care less about social distancing?

Neither is much of a risk for Covid 19 spread...but very interesting to see media double standard.

Masks and distancing went out the window at light speed.

I’m pretty sure it was, yeah. There’s a blatant disregard for human life there that only happens when you don’t see someone as human, but instead as something less than that.

Fair enough. We have different, evidence based, standards. You want to read minds more than I do.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
When this is the common refrain for anything involving a particular race, yes... it is. This is the very problem, that such a wide swath of white people believe nothing is race related.
Didn't say nothing is. But the poster was wrong. BTW...what does looting and burning have to do with the tragic death of this black man? I've never been able to figure that out.

How does one prove intrinisic racism? Not all racism happens in hoods.

I think you mean systemic. Intrinsic would mean that the core reason for the formation of police departments is to kill black people.

And yes, systemic racism is impossible to prove. It is a wedge idea with no solution - or a never ending solution.

We have no idea about this guy. He has been a LEO for 17 years from what I have read. And, lets get this straight. He should rot in jail. I really don't want to sound like that dude who talks COVID but I have done some force on force training and are familiar with LEO. Nowhere, from Spokane to Boston to Dallas, is that taught. Further, that loser probably had some basic EMT training given that he is cop.

This is worse than a shooting video. No LEO in America is on his side. It really was jaw dropping.

I'm not going the race route. That would require mind reading.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I think you mean systemic. Intrinsic would mean that the core reason for the formation of police departments is to kill black people.

And yes, systemic racism is impossible to prove. It is a wedge idea with no solution - or a never ending solution.

We have no idea about this guy. He has been a LEO for 17 years from what I have read. And, lets get this straight. He should rot in jail. I really don't want to sound like that dude who talks COVID but I have done some force on force training and are familiar with LEO. Nowhere, from Spokane to Boston to Dallas, is that taught. Further, that loser probably had some basic EMT training given that he is cop.

This is worse than a shooting video. n No LEO in America is on his side. It really was jaw dropping.

I'm not going the race route. That would require mind reading.
No, I meant what I said - intrinsic means an individual possesses that characteristic at their core, but it may not be outwardly evident because it is just... natural. You applied it to the organization. I am applying it to the bastard that knelt on another man’s neck with his hands in his pockets until that man suffocated. It looked natural to him. Intrinsic. How does one prove that?

No, I meant what I said - intrinsic means an individual possesses that characteristic at their core, but it may not be outwardly evident because it is just... natural. You applied it to the organization. I am applying it to the bastard that knelt on another man’s neck with his hands in his pockets until that man suffocated. It looked natural to him. Intrinsic. How does one prove that?

I'll give you it looked natural to him. He has no weight on his back right foot. I'm pretty sure he never put his hands in his pocket - he was wearing black latex gloves. I thought the same thing though.

Why are you assigning racist killing instead of say, psychopathy. You are inferring that this person is intrinsic and can't change - born a racist. You seem to want the best of both worlds.

Again, the militarization of the police is a pet subject. I'm far from an apologist.

If it is "natural" and he is being who he is - intristic, it would be immoral to punish him.

Last edited:
Why are you assigning racist killing instead of say, psychopathy. You are inferring that this person is intrinsic and can't change - born a racist. You seem to want the best of both worlds.

Again, the militarization of the police is a pet subject. I'm far from an apologist.

If it is "natural" and he is being who he is - intristic, it would be immoral to punish him.
That’s not true. The racism doesn’t require him To choose to kill someone. That is what he is to be punished for. The racism makes him view his victim as something less than human, and thus fail to extend compassion to that person as he would a white man. That is what leads to this murder, and it is the murder that is punished; the racism is merely the underlying cause upon which he acted. He could’ve chosen not to.

That’s not true. The racism doesn’t require him To choose to kill someone. That is what he is to be punished for. The racism makes him view his victim as something less than human, and thus fail to extend compassion to that person as he would a white man. That is what leads to this murder, and it is the murder that is punished; the racism is merely the underlying cause upon which he acted. He could’ve chosen not to.

Is it intrinsic or is it a choice?

The racism is intrinsic. The choice was whether or not to murder Floyd. I was clear about that. I will not play your usual stupid “gotcha” game beyond that.

Can intrinsic beliefs be changed - even though they are natural?

I agree with you. Some of the posters here...if they have adult children and grandchildren who could see what they are doing here, the massive blinders they have on...those family members would be mortified.

Taken in the abstract, that statement makes zero sense.

If one is religious, generally speaking, one is taught that people have intrinsically bad impulses and that we spend our whole physical lives learning to behave in a better way. Religions generally prescribe all sorts of punishments for people "doing what people do" and it's considered very moral to have these punishments.

If one is not religious, the imperative to act in a responsible way that might not be one's natural tendency comes from a different place, but you end up in the same situation, with the same set of societal constraints and punishments. It's hard to make human society function without this.

Reactions: kescwi

If one is religious, generally speaking, one is taught that people have intrinsically bad impulses and that we spend our whole physical lives learning to behave in a better way. Religions generally prescribe all sorts of punishments for people "doing what people do" and it's considered very moral to have these punishments.

If one is not religious, the imperative to act in a responsible way that might not be one's natural tendency comes from a different place, but you end up in the same situation, with the same set of societal constraints and punishments. It's hard to make human society function without this.
In short: people who wrongfully harm or kill others need to have their ability to do so taken away, via imprisonment or execution.

What is the basis for societal constraints to begin with? A humanistic worldview says that all actions are equally valid - regardless of how repugnant some may be. The basis for many of our laws is the Ten Commandments.

What is the basis for societal constraints to begin with? A humanistic worldview says that all actions are equally valid - regardless of how repugnant some may be. The basis for many of our laws is the Ten Commandments.

This is going to go more to philosophy than to anything else. But I think the basis is that everyone acts in their own self-interest. And most people either learn or intrinsically understand that it's in their own self-interest to live in a society where everyone follows some basic rules.

This is going to go more to philosophy than to anything else. But I think the basis is that everyone acts in their own self-interest. And most people either learn or intrinsically understand that it's in their own self-interest to live in a society where everyone follows some basic rules.
If people act according to their own self-interest, then society is in trouble. There is no basis for “basic rules” in a humanistic society, especially when they are acting in their own self-interests.

Humans, I believe, are sinful and left to their own devices will murder, rape, lie, steal, cheat, etc., etc. The Ten Commandments are the basis for the “basic” laws we follow in our so-called “civilized society”.

The police officer is obviously in the wrong. However, the rioters are also in the wrong. So many people that don't understand that violence doesn't solve violence. Marxists encouraging violence because that's what they want.
just a slight modification...I believe based upon what I was able to see that the police officer was wrong. I actually didn't count how long the video has his knee on his neck or how he went from peacefully walking to being on the street with the knee on his neck, but for what I am aware, what I was able to see...the police officer was definitely wrong.

not sure if you read, but can see some tie-in to what I think you are suggesting in agreement with the Stanford Prison Experiment of 1971. Sure would be a lot more fun if we were discussing Winning the Big... ;)

If people act according to their own self-interest, then society is in trouble. There is no basis for “basic rules” in a humanistic society, especially when they are acting in their own self-interests.

Humans, I believe, are sinful and left to their own devices will murder, rape, lie, steal, cheat, etc., etc. The Ten Commandments are the basis for the “basic” laws we follow in our so-called “civilized society”.
I doubt some understand exactly what you said. I think someone can look at the history of the world throughout time and see brutality existing throughout that time...justification for what was desired. Many times we see communism at play, but the world has many examples of mistreatment outside communism as well. When there is no external "standard" then everyone's internal standards may vary...

Reactions: SDBoiler1

To your first point, you are applying a much more narrow definition of "self-interest" than I am. People want to "have stuff" but they also mostly want to have peace in their surroundings, they seek the affection of others and the rewards of bestowing affection on others, and in most cases they want to satisfy their built-in empathetic streak by not watching those around them suffer too much. All of which, if achieved, is in their own self-interest. So your point that "there is no basis for "basic rules" in a humanistic society needs to be called out as the pure opinion that it is. You're entitled to it. Doesn't make it correct.

To your second point, if you don't believe that people had basic laws before the Ten Commandments were written down and will have them long after the Ten Commandments are forgotten, then we aren't going to get much further with this interaction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT