ADVERTISEMENT

OT: George Floyd

Not saying it wasn't racially charged but how do you know for sure it was? How do we know he hasn't done this maneuver in similar situations with suspects of all races? Suspects that didn't end up having a heart attack.
I assume because, to this point, he hadn't been fired.

I would assume that the demographic breakdown of the police force is not representative of most particular areas as a whole. I don't KNOW that, but I would assume that in most cities, if I took the demographic breakdown of the police force vs. the demographic breakdown of the general population, I would see that it skews far more "white".

If there's numbers out there, I'd be interested to see them.

But in principle, it's probably not a great idea anyway.

So should we have black cops police predominantly black areas, to at least remove the racism component from the equation?
That's when we hear cries of institutional or systemic racism. Remember Baltimore from a few years ago? Black Mayor, Black Police Chief, Black cops, Black Prosecuting Attorney, etc.

But to your point - there was a tragic situation in Indy this week when three young black teenagers were killed walking along Kessler Blvd. A couple of days later a father and daughter turned themselves in. They were racing each other - 90mph in a 35MPH zone. The city breathed a collective sigh of relief when it was learned the father/daughter were black as well. We've reached a point in this country that whenever a black person is killed by a white person that it sets race relations back 60 years.

Do you have experience with this or are you assuming?

If you are looking for all of my medical experience, you’d have to look pretty hard. If you are looking for my experience in killing poeple, you have to look harder. Never done that.

The neck and the head are vital areas, no? Placing your knee and adding a grown man’s weight for an extended period of time is a recipe for disaster. Common sense....

The defense will have an uphill climb defending this guy. The video is a really bad look.

I’m not sure what your angle is. Just arguing to argue?

I would assume that the demographic breakdown of the police force is not representative of most particular areas as a whole. I don't KNOW that, but I would assume that in most cities, if I took the demographic breakdown of the police force vs. the demographic breakdown of the general population, I would see that it skews far more "white".

If there's numbers out there, I'd be interested to see them.

But in principle, it's probably not a great idea anyway.
You would obviously have to recruit more minority cops. Why wouldn’t it be a great idea to get race out of the equation?

If you are looking for all of my medical experience, you’d have to look pretty hard. If you are looking for my experience in killing poeple, you have to look harder. Never done that.

The neck and the head are vital areas, no? Placing your knee and adding a grown man’s weight for an extended period of time is a recipe for disaster. Common sense....

The defense will have an uphill climb defending this guy. The video is a really bad look.

I’m not sure what your angle is. Just arguing to argue?
I'm not arguing. You're making all sorts of claims about his death as if you are an expert or have some knowledge of the situation that the rest of us don't. Why not wait until the official cause of death comes out and why that happened before coming to a conclusion? What would be wrong with that?

I'm not arguing. You're making all sorts of claims about his death as if you are an expert or have some knowledge of the situation that the rest of us don't. Why not wait until the official cause of death comes out and why that happened before coming to a conclusion? What would be wrong with that?
Do you really think something is going to come out that shows he died coincidentally, and not because of the way he was subdued? If it comes out that he had a heart attack, are you going to dismiss the police's handling of the situation and say he had a heart attack because he ate too much McDonald's? Is that what you're driving at here?

You are arguing, you're just being coy about it.

I saw the video. It’s pretty clear.

That’s my opinion. I’m entitled to that opinion. If you don’t think the cop killed him, I don’t know what to tell you. I’m convinced. Not an expert but the fact that you are unconvinced is surprising. I would be a bad juror in this one admittedly.

An exercise in common sense... let a 200 lb man grind his knee into the back of your neck for 8 minutes (with his full weight) while your handcuffed to the curb. See what happens?

Do you really think something is going to come out that shows he died coincidentally, and not because of the way he was subdued? If it comes out that he had a heart attack, are you going to dismiss the police's handling of the situation and say he had a heart attack because he ate too much McDonald's? Is that what you're driving at here?

You are arguing, you're just being coy about it.

Thank you.

I’m not convinced it was racism. I’m not convinced he killed him on purpose. I am convinced the cop was trying to harm him.

I am completely convinced the cop killed him. It’s my opinion. No expertise but common sense is my guide here.

I’m not convinced it was racism. I’m not convinced he killed him on purpose. I am convinced the cop was trying to harm him.
I'm convinced that police officer didn't give a second thought to whether he was harming Floyd or not because I think in that moment he viewed Floyd as not much more than a dog. Why? Because I think over the course of his career, and perhaps his life, he's been conditioned or taught that black people are lesser beings.

Reactions: PurdueFan1
I'm convinced that police officer didn't give a second thought to whether he was harming Floyd or not because I think in that moment he viewed Floyd as not much more than a dog. Why? Because I think over the course of his career, and perhaps his life, he's been conditioned or taught that black people are lesser beings.

Hard to know what’s in a person’s heart. It certainly wasn’t a good look. It appeared to me that he was more about proving a point than doing his job. It looked to me like he was very interested in showing dominance over him. Was that racist? Could be. I don’t know enough about the arresting officer.
It was a terrible look. Totally unnecessary and uncalled for.

Reactions: gr8indoorsman
Could be. Did the minority cops holding Floyd down think he was a lesser being also?

Cool to see those that care about their community. What a shame for outsiders from Minneapolis to do such terrible things.

Could be. Did the minority cops holding Floyd down think he was a lesser being also?
Two asian cops and two white cops, and you want to throw that out as a "gotcha" by shifting gears from "black" to "minority"? Cute. There's a pretty long history of tension between the asian community and the black community in a lot of cities, so I'll just go ahead and say, "Yes." In no way does that somehow help any argument you're apparently trying to make since we're discussing systemic racism against black people by police officers.

I hope that makes you feel better knowing that it's not just white people who view black people as lesser beings.

there are reports he has a violent history as an officer and many complaints on record. it looks like there was also a medical issue involved. let the facts come out. you running around screaming racism doesn't help when you have zero evidence. on par with trump. congrats

Reactions: atlboiler2156
Two asian cops and two white cops, and you want to throw that out as a "gotcha" by shifting gears from "black" to "minority"? Cute. There's a pretty long history of tension between the asian community and the black community in a lot of cities, so I'll just go ahead and say, "Yes." In no way does that somehow help any argument you're apparently trying to make since we're discussing systemic racism against black people by police officers.

I hope that makes you feel better knowing that it's not just white people who view black people as lesser beings.
1 of the cops was black, 2 were Asian, and 1 was white. “Gotcha” = inconvenient fact.

Why would it be bad to have predominantly black cops in predominantly black areas again? And predominantly Latino cops in Latino areas?

1 of the cops was black, 2 were Asian, and 1 was white. “Gotcha” = inconvenient fact.

Why would it be bad to have predominantly black cops in predominantly black areas again? And predominantly Latino cops in Latino areas?
Not looking at the photos I’ve seen. I’ve seen two white guys and two Asian guys. Maybe I’m wrong about that.

there are reports he has a violent history as an officer and many complaints on record. it looks like there was also a medical issue involved. let the facts come out. you running around screaming racism doesn't help when you have zero evidence. on par with trump. congrats
That’s rich. Facts are apparently fungible and have little place in the world with most people of your ilk these days.

Not looking at the photos I’ve seen. I’ve seen two white guys and two Asian guys. Maybe I’m wrong about that.
The original arresting officer is black. There’s a video of it. Think his name is Lane.

The racial angle just doesn’t add up here, especially since Chauvin and Floyd worked security at the same nightclub.

Reactions: atlboiler2156
The original arresting officer is black. There’s a video of it. Think his name is Lane.

The racial angle just doesn’t add up here, especially since Chauvin and Floyd worked security at the same nightclub.
They worked together as security guards, therefore not racism? O... k? Does that work like “I have a black friend, I can’t be racist?”

Reactions: NathanWynn77
Think it through...maybe these are dirty cops, not just racist cops...

I’m going to get a little personal here but I think it is relevant to this situation.

18 months ago I had neck surgery. The surgery went well and I was put in a neck brace.
2 week after that I felt sick to my stomach and had a hard time breathing.
We thought i had the flu, my wife wanted to take me to the emergency room because she was afraid I might screw up my neck if I threw up.
I reluctantly agreed to go. I just sat on the table and laid on my side.
I had a heart attack and was dead for 2 minutes before they shocked me back.

This is relevant because the doctors said the pressure the brace put on my neck caused the heart attack. Now I had some blockages that needed stints but the additional pressure caused my heart attack.

So IMO the pressure on the neck probably contributed to Floyd’s death.
I’m doing fine by the way, we just enjoyed a Trike ride after watching the launch.

I’m going to get a little personal here but I think it is relevant to this situation.

18 months ago I had neck surgery. The surgery went well and I was put in a neck brace.
2 week after that I felt sick to my stomach and had a hard time breathing.
We thought i had the flu, my wife wanted to take me to the emergency room because she was afraid I might screw up my neck if I threw up.
I reluctantly agreed to go. I just sat on the table and laid on my side.
I had a heart attack and was dead for 2 minutes before they shocked me back.

This is relevant because the doctors said the pressure the brace put on my neck caused the heart attack. Now I had some blockages that needed stints but the additional pressure caused my heart attack.

So IMO the pressure on the neck probably contributed to Floyd’s death.
I’m doing fine by the way, we just enjoyed a Trike ride after watching the launch.
Okay, what trike?

Are you going to answer the question or nah?
To what end? I get you think you’re being clever, “if a black cop does it...” but you’re not clever you just show your ignorance regarding systemic racism. And since we can’t talk about Nazi Germany on the internet I would just ask you educate yourself.

Reactions: TheCainer
To what end? I get you think you’re being clever, “if a black cop does it...” but you’re not clever you just show your ignorance regarding systemic racism. And since we can’t talk about Nazi Germany on the internet I would just ask you educate yourself.
It’s a simple question. You going to answer or no?

Is systemic racism solely owned by white folks?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT