ADVERTISEMENT

Kalkbrenner

Other then Glenn has Purdue ever landed another top 5 recruit?

Rick Mount would have been likely. I believe he was high school player of the year I think...... and on cover of Sports Illistrated. Not sure they ranked recruits back then??

The big dog and Chris Webber were the top two players in the country coming out of high school. I am pretty sure he had 30 in the McDonald’s game.

Reactions: tjreese
The big dog and Chris Webber were the top two players in the country coming out of high school. I am pretty sure he had 30 in the McDonald’s game.
All I could think of was the broad shouldered guy with the bald head that called the TO when Michigan was out of TOs. Yes, they definitely were 1 and 2 as far as PFs, but couldn't recall if that was also for all positions.

NC got a commitment from a center today. I’m thinking thats 2 for that position now. I have to believe Dickinson is now down to Purdue and Louisville.

Well he’s off the board. Someone tell me, what is so appealing about Creighton over Purdue. It can’t be that they put guys in the NBA. I could be wrong but isn’t McDermot the only guy they’ve put in?

When we recruited Dow, the other center we recruited at the time went to Creighton. he was from la lum and recruited by lutz. and while he was highly rated, he hasn't amounted to anything.

Well he’s off the board. Someone tell me, what is so appealing about Creighton over Purdue.
I believe he is from a small catholic high school and Creighton is a small catholic college.

Makes me think something happened from the “Dickinson is visiting Purdue tweet” to Kalk commits to Creighton.

At this point losing individual recruits doesn't really concern me.

If nobody leaves early next year and we go with what we currently have, we will still have 12 B10 caliber basketball players on the roster. Last year we had 10. Painter typically only plays 8 or 9 guys in his normal rotation, so losing out on 1 guy isn't going to make or break Purdue. If Haarms or Williams don't turn pro there aren't many minutes at the 5 next year. No top 75 guy is going to choose a school if there is even a thought they might need to red shirt.

As Stephen Stills would say,

"If you can't love the one you want, ....Love the one your with....."

Last edited:

Well he’s off the board. Someone tell me, what is so appealing about Creighton over Purdue. It can’t be that they put guys in the NBA. I could be wrong but isn’t McDermot the only guy they’ve put in?
Yeah, we really didn't want him anyway. Look at how long his neck is. That's why he is listed at 7-0. If he had a normal neck, he would only be 6-2.

TIC :D

Reactions: mathboy
We might have been too late to the table by offering Kalkbrenner this Jul, even if we did make his top 3. Dickinson has always been plan 1A. Even if we don't get him, 2021 is loaded with bigs.

We might have been too late to the table by offering Kalkbrenner this Jul, even if we did make his top 3. Dickinson has always been plan 1A. Even if we don't get him, 2021 is loaded with bigs.

Right, we were the only big school Ryan was considering. Illinois and Missouri (closer to home) might have been recruiting him longer and they were dropped sooner. Hunter has been in picture for a couple years.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
I do not see any comparison between Dickinson and Haas besides height. Their bodies are totally different. Haas was sooo massive. Big arms, big hands, huge feet. Dickinson to me looks closer to Brad Miller
Wow. I hadn't thought of that, but I would take that guy in a heartbeat.

Reactions: IUhaterade
a dumb question. in seeing Kalk and Carlson go to other teams. Does UW or Creighton play zone defense ?

I ask because both players talked about how they liked what their role would be on the teams they committed to. I have to believe Painter also discussed that. maybe they don't like the motion offense or Painter's philosophy that a player must play defense before he earns starter's minutes.

Is it possible these centers are not that enamored with having to play defense in order to start?

I doubt many kids are concerned with the defensive strategy that teams play. They want to see how they're going to be used on offense.

Reactions: 70boiler
Kalk did talk a lot about the role and the roll their big players play, and it was very similar to what he currently plays. maybe he liked the idea that he wouldn't have to learn an entirely new offense at Purdue. At Creighton, he would continue to do the type of plays he already does.

a dumb question. in seeing Kalk and Carlson go to other teams. Does UW or Creighton play zone defense ?

I ask because both players talked about how they liked what their role would be on the teams they committed to. I have to believe Painter also discussed that. maybe they don't like the motion offense or Painter's philosophy that a player must play defense before he earns starter's minutes.

Is it possible these centers are not that enamored with having to play defense in order to start?
Kalkbrenner was rated a top defender at Nike EYBL. That's his strength and he seems to embrace it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT