ADVERTISEMENT

Kalkbrenner

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
Kalkbrenner is coming in today for an unofficial visit. He is a highly rated recruit. I know Dickinson is our #1 priority obviously as it has been stated as such.

However, do we wait until we hear from him first or if Kalkbrenner was interested in committing would we take his verbal over waiting for Dickinson? It seems like 247Sports has him as a likely Illinois commitment currently, but I am not sure how up to date that is. I am not sure of his interest in us. We have come in later on his recruiting process, but we have good recruiting momentum right now.

Kalkbrenner is coming in today for an unofficial visit. He is a highly rated recruit. I know Dickinson is our #1 priority obviously as it has been stated as such.

However, do we wait until we hear from him first or if Kalkbrenner was interested in committing would we take his verbal over waiting for Dickinson? It seems like 247Sports has him as a likely Illinois commitment currently, but I am not sure how up to date that is. I am not sure of his interest in us. We have come in later on his recruiting process, but we have good recruiting momentum right now.

I think it all depends on who Painter wants more/the most. The offer could be openly conditional based on what Dickinson does. The offer could be fully committable today. Only Painter and the staff know. Posters are going to say they want 1 guy over the other and would either take his commit or wait until Dickinson decides or says no. I trust here that Painter won't get shut out on getting a highly rated guy that he wants. To me, it looks like we've at least turned the corner there where we will start finishing on some top 100 guys that are say our top 2-3 targets at a position.

That’s a tough one.....I feel like if Kalkbrenner is ready to be a Boiler, than you take him.

I don’t know how long Dickinson is going to wait but I would like to have this class wrapped up before we tip off this year.

I'm with Choicebeef - take Kalkbrenner if he commits. Take the guy that wants to be here. I also happen to like Kalkbrenner's skill set more than Dickinson.

I think it all depends on who Painter wants more/the most. The offer could be openly conditional based on what Dickinson does. The offer could be fully committable today. Only Painter and the staff know. Posters are going to say they want 1 guy over the other and would either take his commit or wait until Dickinson decides or says no. I trust here that Painter won't get shut out on getting a highly rated guy that he wants. To me, it looks like we've at least turned the corner there where we will start finishing on some top 100 guys that are say our top 2-3 targets at a position.
I agree with this.

I would guess that Painter has learned that offering a Top 100 player a conditional scholarship is probably a good way to get marked off of the player's list. Others have pointed out that we want a player who wants to be at Purdue. The flip side is that a highly-recruited 16-17 year-old is not likely to choose a school that hasn't made him feel like a priority.

I agree with this.

I would guess that Painter has learned that offering a Top 100 player a conditional scholarship is probably a good way to get marked off of the player's list. Others have pointed out that we want a player who wants to be at Purdue. The flip side is that a highly-recruited 16-17 year-old is not likely to choose a school that hasn't made him feel like a priority.

You take who wants to come here. Recruiting in basketball is tough. You land a fraction of your targets, but your classes are very limited in size so you still have to be extremely targeted.

I'd say you definitely take a commit from a 7 ft 4 star with tons of potential and don't look back. Sometimes us fans can complicate things.

I’d hate to see him go to Illinois, I have an excessive dislike for IU, but then it’s a horse race between MSU for their arrogance and look the other way at abuse, and Illinois for their total delusion about the status of their program. I want to see them stay in the basement.

I think you take kalkbrenner. He seems legit. His offer list suggests a lot of smart people think he'll be very good.

Last edited:
Ibodel. What ever are you implying? My understanding is that this board is carefully read and all posts carefully considered before any action is taken by coaching staff.
I just got a voicemail from someone who said he was with the purdue basketball team, who needed money to go to Croatia to gain some experience ... and wanted me to contribute to help them get there.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
That’s a tough one.....I feel like if Kalkbrenner is ready to be a Boiler, than you take him.

I don’t know how long Dickinson is going to wait but I would like to have this class wrapped up before we tip off this year.

1) Take Kalkbrenner now ?? The '21 possibilities ( If Dickinson is a no ) reduce the temptation, somewhat.
2) B-ball L.O.I. days are early November....right near season's start. Not to worry.

1) Take Kalkbrenner now ?? The '21 possibilities ( If Dickinson is a no ) reduce the temptation, somewhat.
2) B-ball L.O.I. days are early November....right near season's start. Not to worry.
There are some great options in 21. Makes me think that “missing” on Carlson to end up with Trey Kaufman wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

You obviously forgot how awesome Illinois is!

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT