ADVERTISEMENT

Kalkbrenner

He's currently the #2 rated recruit in the country. He will have everyone after him including Duke, UK, Kansas, UNC, ect. We don't win those battles.
I feel that was the past and I don't really feel that way anymore.

Last edited:
I believe once the shoe money is cut off, we may see stud athletes starting to go to other schools. I believe the ultimate recruitment is the potential to get to a final 4, and to be drafted in the NBA. Look at the kid from Murray St and Carsen. Neither player played for Duke. I believe the old world powers may no longer have a monopoly on all the 5 star talent.

As I look at Carlson committing to UW, I noticed a related post that said he would be joining his AAU team-mate. This reminded me of the recruitment of the three Amigos. They knew each other from their AAU days.

I believe the future of recruiting may not involve money, but rather package deals of friends continuing to play together. I believe this will be the way to beat Duke and Uk at their recruiting game.

look at the Milwaukee Bucks. Yannis will be a FA next year. They can offer him more money than any other team. but what did they do to help ensure he stays ? They signed his brother to a pro deal. Basically to make Yannis happy. You could call that a package deal. They did the same to sign Lopez as a FA. they signed his brother too as a package deal.

Getting to the Elite 8 and recruits have taken notice. Furst will have or has everyone after him and we are right there. We shall see but I'm optimistic and think we can with our recent success plus player development.
We've landed Morton and Ivey since that elite 8. They are both really good players, and I'm pumped to have them on board, but it isn't like we were facing Duke, UK, Kansas, or UNC in their recruitment. I'm talking about our chance of actually landing a top 5 player that isn't an in-state player (Chet).

We have a good chance to land one of Furst or Kaufman. Given the current/projected roster, we really can only take 1 big in that class anyways.

It's fine to continue to talking to him and visiting him. Furst and Kaufman should be the priorities, however. We stand a way better chance with those two. Painter knows what he's doing, though.
I do believe they are priorities for the 2021 class. But Painter doesn't appear to be finished with the 2020 class. We are regularly surprised to learn about offers to players who weren't on the early lists. For me, that's part of the fun of the recruiting process.

I do believe they are priorities for the 2021 class. But Painter doesn't appear to be finished with the 2020 class. We are regularly surprised to learn about offers to players who weren't on the early lists. For me, that's part of the fun of the recruiting process.
I don't believe we've given CMP enough credit for his recruiting as of late. I still think we will start to land that top 30 kid more than our past has shown.

If all of the major schools get put on probation and can't compete for the next few years, then sure, we can land him.

All of our focus should be on Kaufman and Furst (and it is).
Do you think we will get Dickinson, Kalkbrenner, or someone else in 2020?
There is always a first for everything. I am hoping for Dickinson, would be great to beat out UNC for a recruit and we are due for one.

Just my opinion, I say we land Chet in 2021. There is always a first time for everything, just like the NCAA Tournament National Title Purdue in going to win in downtown Indianapolis in 2021. Boiler Up!

Reactions: ChuckJr and Poprudy
I don't believe we've given CMP enough credit for his recruiting as of late. I still think we will start to land that top 30 kid more than our past has shown.
Painter has done an excellent job finding the players that fit together and has the culture back to where it needs to be. He’s getting results out of the guys he’s getting. Swanigan I believe is the only top 50 guy he has gotten since the Baby Boilers and has won 2 out of last 3 Big Ten Championships and was second the time they didn’t win. Not to mention that great run to the elite eight that was agonizingly close to a final four . Swanigan was only on one of those 3 teams. He has proven in spectacular fashion that you can get it done without 5 stars. Guys like Mathias, PJ, Eifert, Cline, are just winners. And I always go back to Carsen Edwards. The guy was ranked around 90 and made a huge impact on team and nationally. You just knew from the start that he was vastly underrated. Other than Zion Williamson he was the most exciting player in college and Painter didn’t hold him back. He had the greenest of lights.

I noticed a review on Kalk and Dickenson. the review indicated that neither player has much of an outside shot. Both players are basically in the paint centers.

This begs the question. Do any of Chet, Furst or Kaufman have an outside game ?

Do you think we will get Dickinson, Kalkbrenner, or someone else in 2020?
There is always a first for everything. I am hoping for Dickinson, would be great to beat out UNC for a recruit and we are due for one.

Just my opinion, I say we land Chet in 2021. There is always a first time for everything, just like the NCAA Tournament National Title Purdue in going to win in downtown Indianapolis in 2021. Boiler Up!
I think we get Dickinson. There is doubt that he will take his UNC visit. It's being said he will decide relatively soon after this weekend which is a visit to Florida State. Kalkbrenner seems to be leaning Creighton. If we get neither, we should bank the scholarship for 2021.

Just my opinion, I say Chet ends up at one of Duke, UK, or UNC.

Where does Trevion play?
Trevion would be a senior while Chet would be a Freshmen. Blue chip recruits do not need to start as freshmen even if they intend to be one and done (will one and done still be a thing then?). There have been multiple examples of players that are drafted in the first round and even lottery picks that did not start on their own college team.

Trevion would be a senior while Chet would be a Freshmen. Blue chip recruits do not need to start as freshmen even if they intend to be one and done (will one and done still be a thing then?). There have been multiple examples of players that are drafted in the first round and even lottery picks that did not start on their own college team.
Where does kalk/Dickinson play in your scenario? Top 5 recruits don't come off the bench. They definitely don't come off the bench at a non blue blood school.

Yes, Chet will still be required to go to college, so he will be a one and done. That rule changes with the 2022 class.

I think Chet could also play the three position. That makes for a broader equation.

I think we get Dickinson. There is doubt that he will take his UNC visit. It's being said he will decide relatively soon after this weekend which is a visit to Florida State. Kalkbrenner seems to be leaning Creighton. If we get neither, we should bank the scholarship for 2021.

Thanks for the Dickinson update. That would be really great to get a verbal from him sometime next week! Boiler Up!

As of right now, assuming we have 2 scholarships to give in 2021, who would you say Purdue gets today?? I just saw they offered a top 35 shooting guard 6’6’’ from the Atlanta area but his name escapes me.

Matthew Cleveland is his name......

If neither Kalk nor Dickinson come to Purdue and we bank the scholarship, Chet will play alongside Tre after Haarms turns pro.

Recruiting predictions need spaghetti models like tropical cyclones instead of a crystal ball. Change any one variable (Haams goes pro or we bank a scholarship) and the solution differs completely.

AL10_2019092000_ECENS_large.png

He visits O$U this weekend and Gonzaga in early October. I think Zags may surprise here.

If we do sign him, I will be jumping up and down like I did when we signed Glen Robinson.
Furst is at Virginia this weekend I think?

But I would be Goode with that class.

Yep, all Goode. We were Furst to offer.

Last edited:
It's fine to continue to talking to him and visiting him. Furst and Kaufman should be the priorities, however. We stand a way better chance with those two. Painter knows what he's doing, though.
Why is there any need to prioritize those 3 players? Does Purdue have the funds to only go contact, watch or meet with one player? C'mon, Painter can walk, chew gum and breathe at the same time.

Kalkbrenner is leaning towards Creighton? Really? I hope you're wrong. Not that I would mind getting Dickinson, but I get the feeling he would be heading to the NBA sooner than we would like.

Creighton is being investigated by the NCAA. Not that anything will happen because it won’t but still. I could see maybe a year or two tournament ban fir some of these teams being investigated

Kalkbrenner is leaning towards Creighton? Really? I hope you're wrong. Not that I would mind getting Dickinson, but I get the feeling he would be heading to the NBA sooner than we would like.

Did we show Ryan around St. Thomas Aquinas and the Newman Center during his visit? He may want to go to a smaller school though.

The closest may have been Luther Clay (ugh). Next would probably be Mike Robinson.
Mike Robinson is my favorite Boiler of all time. Dude could get offensive rebounds in bunches for a guy only 6’6’’ at most. He was the main reason we beat eventual national champion Michigan St. in Mackey in February of 2000.

Reactions: 70boiler
Actually, Robinson was around the # 10 ranking area after high school, whereas Clay, if I recall, was in the 20's. Both were McDonalds A.A.'s
I think mike Robinson was a burger boy. Glenn was the 1 or 2 PF player depending on which service you used. Outside of position I was thinking he was between 5 and 7 but I dont really remember. It might actually have been 1 or 2 in the country as well

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT