ADVERTISEMENT

How can anyone defend what Drew Brees said?

Nope, if you believe or preach against any aspect of my life, you represent a hate group.

So, you're saying anyone that believes in anything differently than you do is wrong?
Wow....you're so tolerant and welcoming of others diversity of opinion.

To be truly fair, only the left is calling it hate. His Christian beliefs may lead him to truly believe what you slant as hateful. If so, should his life and career be destroyed because he doesn't believe as you do?

Welcome to the tolerant left, where as long as you agree with them politically and socially, then everything will be alright. However, if you have a different opinion, you're quickly labeled a hater or racist.

Reactions: SKYDOG and mathboy
My mom always told me to never discuss politics or religion in public. She never said anything about basketball forums, but I guess she never would have believed there would be such a thing. I will say I am on the side of the media makes you dumber by watching crowed. if you can't see that, welcome to dumbville.

VERY well said.
We all love Drew. Drew's a gazillionaire. Can afford to hire people to do PSA's that are independently produced, with his and his name ONLY associated with a fine idea like kids taking a bible to school.( Not, of course, for Christianity classes in a public school.)
If you do spots with an organization that has connections to troublesome issues, then live and learn. And go independent, next time.

Are you upset that Drew owns some Jimmy John's franchises? Do you know anything about the guy who started JJs?

Are you upset that Drew owns some Jimmy John's franchises? Do you know anything about the guy who started JJs?
You are on a role here. Let's add to this a bit.

Who drives a Ford? Did you know Henry Ford was a raging anti-Semitic? Does that make anyone driving a Ford Mustang a hater of Jewish people? NO! A Ford is just a car these days.

How about Father Coughlin? An FDR supporter, but a virulent anti Semitic. If you are Catholic, does that make you anti-Semitic? NO!

MIT took money (millions) from Epstein. Does that mean MIT supports pedophilia? Are MIT grads now considered pedophiles? NO! - well at least not most of them... :cool:

The answer to all this is a resounding "NO". However, his guilt by distant association is being strongly pushed by the media who want sensationalism. Drew Brees has been very clear in what he supports and what he does not.

It has already been moved as requested by a number of different people.

I, in no way, said any individual who is against gay marriage is homophobic rather I pointed to an organization who has through their actions and words been for conversion therapy and attempted to advance the idea of denial of legal and equal rights to citizens of our country based solely on their own personal religious ideals...something that is some what laid out in the Constitution as not being legal...unless you'd like to be considered on equal footing as Saudi Arabia and other theocratic governments around the world. If that occurred, the foundation of our Constitution would crumble as you would actively be denying basic civil liberties and rights on the basis of a difference of religion which clearly the 1st Amendment states you have a freedom of religion (or the choice to have a lack of religion). Why that concept is hard for people to understand is beyond me.

I didn't claim that you called anyone homophobic. The group that you cited- human rights campaign - DOES claim as hate speech the mere fact of professing the belief that marriage is between a man and a woman. They've used their political arm to push various state and local commissions/boards, etc to define that(and other Scripture) as hate speech. These commissions then use these directives to go after people like small business owners for not toeing the gay "company" line, such as in the case of the Colorado cake baker, which is a direct shot at religious freedom. Thus, you using them as a reference has no more credibility than if I were to use Focus on the Family information.

I’m perfectly fine with Drew Brees comments.
Here is what I’m sick and tired of, LBGTQ community shoving their crap and beliefs in my face at every turn. This community has their right to speak, but so do I. They are damn lucky they live in USA and not in other countries where they’d be executed. Nuf said, let’s move along.

Here’s a thought: if gay people had the same rights as straight white men, maybe they wouldn’t have to “shove their beliefs in your face” (whatever the hell that even means?).

Maybe instead of thinking that everyone should be the same slice of white bread you are, try being more understanding about there being large swaths of the population who don’t have the same basic rights you do.

Can we get this bullsh!t removed from the basketball page.

This has no place here.

Here’s a thought: if gay people had the same rights as straight white men, maybe they wouldn’t have to “shove their beliefs in your face” (whatever the hell that even means?).

Maybe instead of thinking that everyone should be the same slice of white bread you are, try being more understanding about there being large swaths of the population who don’t have the same basic rights you do.
Live and let live. Stop complaining and be productive.
What were your thoughts on Drew Brees tonight? Just curious.

Live and let live. Stop complaining and be productive.
What were your thoughts on Drew Brees tonight? Just curious.

Live and let live is truly how I think it should be. Unfortunately though, that’s not reality. And based on your initial statement that i responded to, it’s really not how you feel either. If everyone could truly live and let live and had the same rights you do, there’d be no need for the parades and protests ( which,by the way, you can easily ignore....sorry. I’m not going to let your comment about it being shoved in your face go because it’s simply not true and is an extremely worn out trope).

As for your other question,Drew was sensational tonight as usual. He is amazing on the field and is amazing off of it. As to the flap about what he said: as others have said on here it’s not what he said, but who he aligned with to say it. I don’t think Drew has a hateful bone in his body, but the group he aligned with sure does. Unfortunately some of the reactions went overboard but he clarified everything and it’s really a nothing burger in the end. But he or someone on his team should have done some basic research. That’s all.

Reactions: indy35 and 70boiler
Welcome to the tolerant left, where as long as you agree with them politically and socially, then everything will be alright. However, if you have a different opinion, you're quickly labeled a hater or racist.

Oddly enough, I've had this exact conversation with two different family members in the last week or so.

My daughter is a straight ally member of the Gay-Straight Alliance at her school, which has a new principal this year. We were talking after their first meeting and she mentioned that some members of the new group were concerned that the new principal is "homophobic."

In talking with a couple of people who know the new principal, I was told simply that he holds a conservative/traditional view of the LGBTQ community. There is a whole lot of difference between believing that the LGBTQ "lifestyle" is a sin and being homophobic, a term often used to convey an extremist point of view (i.e. that LGBTQ persons should be forced to conversion therapy or not allowed to have any kind of relationship rights).

It is possible to disagree with something and someone without hating or wishing harm to them. I know many people who are conservative in their approach to homosexuality but whose treatment of LGBTQ persons is exemplary. My own grandmother is staunchly opposed to homosexuality but still believes that LGBTQ couples should have access to the same civil and legal rights as straight couples.

And that's what I told my daughter - just because the principal doesn't openly support the LGBTQ community, that doesn't mean that he is necessarily homophobic, and the group should try to give him the benefit of the doubt. Of course, I also told her that, if the issue arises and the group needs a parent advocate, I'd be there to back them up.

This is, IMHO, the biggest reason for our seemingly unbridgeable political divide right now -the notion that you're either going to agree with me or you are a horrible person who hates me and hates America and probably hates puppies, too. It's been going on in politics a long time, though Trump seems to be doing everything he can to escalate it. But when we only permit people to be 100% in agreement or 100% in disagreement, we can't possibly compromise.

What rights do gay people not have that straight white men have?

Do straight white women have different rights than lesbians?

Reactions: toddbrewster
Live and let live is truly how I think it should be. Unfortunately though, that’s not reality. And based on your initial statement that i responded to, it’s really not how you feel either. If everyone could truly live and let live and had the same rights you do, there’d be no need for the parades and protests ( which,by the way, you can easily ignore....sorry. I’m not going to let your comment about it being shoved in your face go because it’s simply not true and is an extremely worn out trope).

As for your other question,Drew was sensational tonight as usual. He is amazing on the field and is amazing off of it. As to the flap about what he said: as others have said on here it’s not what he said, but who he aligned with to say it. I don’t think Drew has a hateful bone in his body, but the group he aligned with sure does. Unfortunately some of the reactions went overboard but he clarified everything and it’s really a nothing burger in the end. But he or someone on his team should have done some basic research. That’s all.

You do know Drew is a staunch Republican, right?

Oddly enough, I've had this exact conversation with two different family members in the last week or so.

My daughter is a straight ally member of the Gay-Straight Alliance at her school, which has a new principal this year. We were talking after their first meeting and she mentioned that some members of the new group were concerned that the new principal is "homophobic."

In talking with a couple of people who know the new principal, I was told simply that he holds a conservative/traditional view of the LGBTQ community. There is a whole lot of difference between believing that the LGBTQ "lifestyle" is a sin and being homophobic, a term often used to convey an extremist point of view (i.e. that LGBTQ persons should be forced to conversion therapy or not allowed to have any kind of relationship rights).

It is possible to disagree with something and someone without hating or wishing harm to them. I know many people who are conservative in their approach to homosexuality but whose treatment of LGBTQ persons is exemplary. My own grandmother is staunchly opposed to homosexuality but still believes that LGBTQ couples should have access to the same civil and legal rights as straight couples.

And that's what I told my daughter - just because the principal doesn't openly support the LGBTQ community, that doesn't mean that he is necessarily homophobic, and the group should try to give him the benefit of the doubt. Of course, I also told her that, if the issue arises and the group needs a parent advocate, I'd be there to back them up.

This is, IMHO, the biggest reason for our seemingly unbridgeable political divide right now -the notion that you're either going to agree with me or you are a horrible person who hates me and hates America and probably hates puppies, too. It's been going on in politics a long time, though Trump seems to be doing everything he can to escalate it. But when we only permit people to be 100% in agreement or 100% in disagreement, we can't possibly compromise.

I agree with most of your post, but the irony is, lefties and dems claim to be the party of tolerance, diversity and acceptance. But, if you hold conservative viewpoints on any number of issues, you're labeled and attacked. There is no room for differing opinion in their mind. "You're either with us, or against us. And if you don't agree with us, you're against us."
It's the ultimate example of hypocrisy.

Off the top of my head I would say that in many areas there is an imbalance in employment rights and housing rights. I would hope that someone of the LGBTQ community can better answer from either their or actual known experiences.
I think that it is pretty hard for most of us to recognize the hurdles from our perspectives.

You mean how gay people can still be fired just for being gay? I’ll just lay that one down and let you continue to wallow in your ignorance. Not that I would have expected anything different from you

Reactions: doubleyous

You do know Drew is a staunch Republican, right?

What does that have to do with anything?

Off the top of my head I would say that in many areas there is an imbalance in employment rights and housing rights. I would hope that someone of the LGBTQ community can better answer from either their or actual known experiences.
I think that it is pretty hard for most of us to recognize the hurdles from our perspectives.

There is nothing on the books anywhere, in any town in the US that specifically states that gay people don't have the same rights at straight people.
Do they get every job, loan, lease, etc that they apply for? No. But neither does anyone else. Is there potential discrimination in some situations? Possibly, just like as a landlord, I'd prefer to rent an apartment to a married couple in their 50 than a couple kids right out of college.

You mean how gay people can still be fired just for being gay? I’ll just lay that one down and let you continue to wallow in your ignorance. Not that I would have expected anything different from you
No, not for being gay, for being incompetent. The fact that they're gay is irrelevant.

No, not for being gay, for being incompetent. The fact that they're gay is irrelevant.

This is the most straight white man answer possible. You may not know this, but I’m gay. You and your straight white privilege may just want to sit this one out.

The trans guys can use the women's restroom. If I took a dump in the women's restroom I'd find myself in jail.

This is the most straight white man answer possible. You may not know this, but I’m gay. You and your straight white privilege may just want to sit this one out.

I think you just nailed a big part of the problem. Anyone who has ever gotten fired thinks it is because of one of their traits. It is because of my age, sex, race, religion, color, sexual preference, height, my accent being northern or southern or physical limitations that have nothing to do with the job. I am a member of the right one, but the person who fired me, fired me because they are a member of the wrong one. They fired me, because they have too many good looking people and they need a quota of ugly people.

The point is is they can fire you for almost any reason. Most of the time, it is because they just don't like you or your attitude. Then again, you and another person may be equal and they fired you because you are gay. You can call that person a bigot or you can learn from it and go on. When I got fired, my boss did not like me for whatever reason. I used this as motivation to move on. I then started a business that I got fired from and made millions.

I would think being gay would be a tremendous motivator. I would want to be the best person I could be. The most integrity, the hardest worker, the most loyal etc. Just to prove to people I consider bigots that gays are GREAT people.

I am a Christian. I am upset that anybody can take a crack at a white, heterosexual Christian male and I am a racist or bigot if I respond. I am upset that the media can take a crack at Drew Brees and force him to apologize for making a video that focuses on building families. I am upset at the media for labeling President Trump a racist and bigot when he has done more for blacks, Hispanics and women than any President in my lifetime. However, when I post something that favors Trump, I get labeled a racist. And I was a civil rights leader! The point is that you take a stand and people have already read into you what they want. Learn from it and try to be a better person and continue to Love God with all your mind, heart, soul and strength and to love thy neighbor as thyself.

I think you just nailed a big part of the problem. Anyone who has ever gotten fired thinks it is because of one of their traits. It is because of my age, sex, race, religion, color, sexual preference, height, my accent being northern or southern or physical limitations that have nothing to do with the job. I am a member of the right one, but the person who fired me, fired me because they are a member of the wrong one. They fired me, because they have too many good looking people and they need a quota of ugly people.

The point is is they can fire you for almost any reason. Most of the time, it is because they just don't like you or your attitude. Then again, you and another person may be equal and they fired you because you are gay. You can call that person a bigot or you can learn from it and go on. When I got fired, my boss did not like me for whatever reason. I used this as motivation to move on. I then started a business that I got fired from and made millions.

I would think being gay would be a tremendous motivator. I would want to be the best person I could be. The most integrity, the hardest worker, the most loyal etc. Just to prove to people I consider bigots that gays are GREAT people.

I am a Christian. I am upset that anybody can take a crack at a white, heterosexual Christian male and I am a racist or bigot if I respond. I am upset that the media can take a crack at Drew Brees and force him to apologize for making a video that focuses on building families. I am upset at the media for labeling President Trump a racist and bigot when he has done more for blacks, Hispanics and women than any President in my lifetime. However, when I post something that favors Trump, I get labeled a racist. And I was a civil rights leader! The point is that you take a stand and people have already read into you what they want. Learn from it and try to be a better person and continue to Love God with all your mind, heart, soul and strength and to love thy neighbor as thyself.

I had to read this three times to make sure i was understanding it.

Everything else aside, because there are so many rabbit holes i could go down, you’re saying i should have to outwork everyone else in my company so I hopefully don’t get fired because I’m gay? Am I reading this right? Because if so, then uh, that’s a fat fukking no buddy. I should outwork people because I love what i do, am good at what I want to do, and have loftier goals. Not because I’m afraid I’ll get fired because I like dudes instead of women.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, and if so, I apologize. Otherwise....just wow. No.

I had to read this three times to make sure i was understanding it.

Everything else aside, because there are so many rabbit holes i could go down, you’re saying i should have to outwork everyone else in my company so I hopefully don’t get fired because I’m gay? Am I reading this right? Because if so, then uh, that’s a fat fukking no buddy. I should outwork people because I love what i do, am good at what I want to do, and have loftier goals. Not because I’m afraid I’ll get fired because I like dudes instead of women.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, and if so, I apologize. Otherwise....just wow. No.

I am sorry I did not mean to imply that. Maybe I should say it this way. As a young man, I was a Christian and I would drink, fight, tell dirty jokes and I slept with a ton of women. This changed when I got older and I realized that as a Christian I had to be a light to others. I stopped sleeping around, stopped drinking to excess, I drastically cut down on my cussing and I did my best to help everyone I came in contact with - even if it was only a smile. My objective was for people to say that Todd is a Christian and he demonstrates it in every phase of his life.

I am also sensitive to others who are female, who are not white, who are homosexual, to other religions or non-religious even to people who are not drop dead gorgeous (yes that was a joke). I do this to show I love my neighbor not to prove that I think I am better than anyone else.

I am saying that if you identify yourself as whatever my suggestion is that you want to represent that well. If you ever get fired for whatever reason, consider it all joy, because you will come back stronger than ever.

The trans guys can use the women's restroom. If I took a dump in the women's restroom I'd find myself in jail.
FYI : If a person goes through a transition FROM being a male TO a female, that person is then a trans woman, NOT a trans guy, as you suggest.

Probably should look it up yourself and read his follow up explanation to form your own opinion instead of someone's personal interpretation on here. I do agree athletes along with actors and musicians should just shut up and perform. Their opinions are no more important than yours or mine.
I’m sure you agree he has every right to support young people’s rights, then defend himself from senseless attacks.

There is nothing on the books anywhere, in any town in the US that specifically states that gay people don't have the same rights at straight people.
Do they get every job, loan, lease, etc that they apply for? No. But neither does anyone else. Is there potential discrimination in some situations? Possibly, just like as a landlord, I'd prefer to rent an apartment to a married couple in their 50 than a couple kids right out of college.
Just so we're clear: You're stating that in our country of 340,000,000+ people
IT'S POSSIBLE THAT THERE IS/HAS BEEN DISCRIMINATION AGAINST GAY PEOPLE !!!!

"Discrimination in some situations? " Your question.
" POSSIBLY " Your answer. This just in, folks !!

No laws in US communities that explicitly DENY that gay people have rights ?
Maybe because it would take 2 days, 6 hours and 28 minutes for EVERY JUDGE IN THE COUNTRY to slap an immediate injunction upon anything that ridiculous on its face ??

You're a trip, Bone. A 50's throwback trip.

Last edited:
These groups that sound like they are promoting something worthwhile and then turn out to be something else really annoy me. I had no idea just like Drew, that “Focus On the Family “ was anti gay. I think they took advantage of Drew and that makes me angry. Is there a way to show support for him?

Really Beth? I suggest you do a little research on your own rather than join in to the voices of criticism.

Drew did not make any mention of focus on the family in his very short video do he didn’t align himself with them. Here is is video that caused all of the uproar. Judge for yourself.

First from the Wash Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...nked-anti-lgbt-religious-group/?noredirect=on

Now from Drew himself:

Bruce1 . What are you talking about? The post of mine that you quoted is not criticizing any person and certainly not Drew Brees. In fact, it is asking for a way to show my support for Drew Brees as I have experienced being misled.

Bruce1 . What are you talking about? The post of mine that you quoted is not criticizing any person and certainly not Drew Brees. In fact, it is asking for a way to show my support for Drew Brees as I have experienced being misled.
Bbf, I think you might find Bruce, here, a little reluctant to follow along to competent logic that's found in standard English composition.
Not his strong suit.
Good luck.

Reactions: MANelson85
Really Beth? I suggest you do a little research on your own rather than join in to the voices of criticism.

Drew did not make any mention of focus on the family in his very short video do he didn’t align himself with them. Here is is video that caused all of the uproar. Judge for yourself.

First from the Wash Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...nked-anti-lgbt-religious-group/?noredirect=on

Now from Drew himself:

Lol. You know that webpage that is prominently shown in his video...where do you think it goes? I get that he didn't specifically call it out, but what if he made a video supporting "bring your billy club to school day" that was sponsored by Antifa. Would it you also disregard the connection? It has already been beaten to death in this thread, but this is simply a case of not doing the proper homework. I don't think Drew did anything wrong, but the criticism is warranted.

What’s Bring Your Bible to School Day all about?
On Bring Your Bible to School Day— this year’s event is on Oct. 3, 2019 — students across the nation will celebrate religious freedom and share God’s love with their friends. It’s an annual event for students sponsored by Focus on the Family.

The claim that Trump has done more for " blacks, Hispanics, and women" than any ( recent) President is mind-numbing ridiculous. Stupefyingly ignorant.
The highly esteemed Mr. Brees will roll through this recent bump in his road with his fine reputation intact.
Gays shouldn't HAVE to be motivated to be better people because of their orientation. Their motivations shouldn't be any more complicated than straights'.

Lol. You know that webpage that is prominently shown in his video...where do you think it goes? I get that he didn't specifically call it out, but what if he made a video supporting "bring your billy club to school day" that was sponsored by Antifa. Would it you also disregard the connection? It has already been beaten to death in this thread, but this is simply a case of not doing the proper homework. I don't think Drew did anything wrong, but the criticism is warranted.

On Bring Your Bible to School Day— this year’s event is on Oct. 3, 2019 — students across the nation will celebrate religious freedom and share God’s love with their friends. It’s an annual event for students sponsored by Focus on the Family.

Drew’s video encouraged kids to bing their Bibles to school. That’s all. If he wanted to appear like a Focus on the Family supporter he would have created the video differently than he did. In his explanation after the left wing attacks he said exactly what he was doing and what his views are on hate, etc. he did nothing wrong. For people to say he was duped by Focus On the Family is hogwash. Drew has a very strong faith and is obviously going to address issues that fit within his moral boundaries.

Drew’s video encouraged kids to bing their Bibles to school. That’s all. If he wanted to appear like a Focus on the Family supporter he would have created the video differently than he did. In his explanation after the left wing attacks he said exactly what he was doing and what his views are on hate, etc. he did nothing wrong. For people to say he was duped by Focus On the Family is hogwash. Drew has a very strong faith and is obviously going to address issues that fit within his moral boundaries.

So Bruce, if Westboro Baptist Church came up to you and asked you to record an inspirational video for them and you went ahead and did it because you thought “oh it’s a church, of course I will” and then later learned what they do and stand for, you wouldn’t expect a “wtf were you thinking you big dumbass” from friends and family?

Wait, you probably shouldn’t answer that. Connecting dots isn’t a strong point for you.

The claim that Trump has done more for " blacks, Hispanics, and women" than any ( recent) President is mind-numbing ridiculous. Stupefyingly ignorant.
The highly esteemed Mr. Brees will roll through this recent bump in his road with his fine reputation intact.
Gays shouldn't HAVE to be motivated to be better people because of their orientation. Their motivations shouldn't be any more complicated than straights'.

Please enlighten me on whom has been a better President to those 3 groups and why you concluded that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT