ADVERTISEMENT

How can anyone defend what Drew Brees said?

Doesn’t doing a public service message for a group equal aligning oneself with that group? Seems pretty black and white to me. Huge mistake yet I think Drew will overcome it.

It amazes me at times to see people ignore such anti American beliefs such as this organizations attack on the rights of fellow citizens in the name of the Bible. It truly mirrors the expansion of groups such as ISIS and Al Qaeda when people are attempting to sanction such attacks in the name of God while attacking the very foundation of our constitutional protections...you know like freedom from religious persecution.

This country isn’t a theocracy and it never shall be. Religious freedom doesn’t mean religion rules the country, it means you have the right to do as you see fit and others have the same.

Want to pray for gays? Have at it. Want to force them into conversion therapy? GTFO of here with that shit. This ain’t Saudi Arabia.

As for bringing Bibles to school. I don’t mind as I am a Christian. But don’t forget, in this country, the people who believe in Allah and those who don’t believe Christ is the messiah get to do as they see fit as well.
Hyperbole? Provide a link showing this organization wants to force people into conversion therapy.

And don't forget that the people who believe in Allah traditionally have dealt much harsher treatment to gay people. Do they really get to do as they see fit?

I’m perfectly fine with Drew Brees comments.
Here is what I’m sick and tired of, LBGTQ community shoving their crap and beliefs in my face at every turn. This community has their right to speak, but so do I. They are damn lucky they live in USA and not in other countries where they’d be executed. Nuf said, let’s move along.

Doesn’t doing a public service message for a group equal aligning oneself with that group? Seems pretty black and white to me. Huge mistake yet I think Drew will overcome it.

It amazes me at times to see people ignore such anti American beliefs such as this organizations attack on the rights of fellow citizens in the name of the Bible. It truly mirrors the expansion of groups such as ISIS and Al Qaeda when people are attempting to sanction such attacks in the name of God while attacking the very foundation of our constitutional protections...you know like freedom from religious persecution.

This country isn’t a theocracy and it never shall be. Religious freedom doesn’t mean religion rules the country, it means you have the right to do as you see fit and others have the same.

Want to pray for gays? Have at it. Want to force them into conversion therapy? GTFO of here with that shit. This ain’t Saudi Arabia.

As for bringing Bibles to school. I don’t mind as I am a Christian. But don’t forget, in this country, the people who believe in Allah and those who don’t believe Christ is the messiah get to do as they see fit as well.
Sorry, but I find deep problems with your reasoning. Religious freedom encompasses all that you say is okay, and most of what you are saying is not okay. You are specifically taking sides by saying one group is acceptable and one isn’t, and that is very biased.

I know that many disagree with this regions group’s perspective on the LGBT community. It is very PC to be accepting to those in the LGBT group. Personally, I am. However, I don’t force my beliefs on others.

I think you should never, never attempt to judge this or any other private religious group on their beliefs unless they endanger or damage others. Unfortunately many Christian groups share those anti-gay beliefs. So do Islamic groups. For all I know, Scientology might also. It is their right to hold those beliefs, whether or not they are PC. That my friend is what religious freedom really means.

Sorry, but I find deep problems with your reasoning. Religious freedom encompasses all that you say is okay, and most of what you are saying is not okay. You are specifically taking sides by saying one group is acceptable and one isn’t, and that is very biased.

I know that many disagree with this regions group’s perspective on the LGBT community. It is very PC to be accepting to those in the LGBT group. Personally, I am. However, I don’t force my beliefs on others.

I think you should never, never attempt to judge this or any other private religious group on their beliefs unless they endanger or damage others. Unfortunately many Christian groups share those anti-gay beliefs. So do Islamic groups. For all I know, Scientology might also. It is their right to hold those beliefs, whether or not they are PC. That my friend is what religious freedom really means.
You think accepting others as they choose to be is choosing a side? That right there says it all, doesn’t it?
There is no right to force ones beliefs on others. Isn’t that what you are saying? Many groups hold the same beliefs so it okay?

Believing homosexuality is a sin and believing those who commit this sin need to be changed and/or discriminated against are two completely different things. One of course is also unconstitutional thus unAmerican.

If you feel I am choosing a side yet believe all humans are the children of God then can you really believe both? There is no side according to scripture. We are all his children and we all sin. Should your sin give others reason to discriminate against you and demand you go through their conversations therapy? It’s all in the perspective and from what I see, living under Gods law works great until it is someone else’s God who is making the laws.

Many Muslim countries are even more conservative than most conservatives in the U.S. If we are going to make legislation based on the Bible, shouldn’t we all be punished?

Like I said. Wanna pray for folks, have at it. Want to force your beliefs on them, GTFO. The USA isn’t a theocracy and in fact was fought and died for by those who were fleeing a religious ideology being forced onto themselves. If theocracy is what you desire, there are many options to be found outside the US. Each one is considered to be oppression and human rights violators so maybe take that as a sign that perhaps it’s a bad idea.

I don’t believe in abortion except in extreme cases so, I feel I am pretty conservative. But, setting precedent of one religion creating social warfare on non-believers is s kippers slope that can only lead to the death of democracy as we know it.

Drew basically denounced the group and any other that doesn’t preach acceptance of all so I find that pretty telling as to what he feels is right in this debate. Do you consider him choosing sides as well?

Reactions: Statey
You think accepting others as they choose to be is choosing a side? That right there says it all, doesn’t it?
There is no right to force ones beliefs on others. Isn’t that what you are saying? Many groups hold the same beliefs so it okay?

Believing homosexuality is a sin and believing those who commit this sin need to be changed and/or discriminated against are two completely different things. One of course is also unconstitutional thus unAmerican.

If you feel I am choosing a side yet believe all humans are the children of God then can you really believe both? There is no side according to scripture. We are all his children and we all sin. Should your sin give others reason to discriminate against you and demand you go through their conversations therapy? It’s all in the perspective and from what I see, living under Gods law works great until it is someone else’s God who is making the laws.

Many Muslim countries are even more conservative than most conservatives in the U.S. If we are going to make legislation based on the Bible, shouldn’t we all be punished?

Like I said. Wanna pray for folks, have at it. Want to force your beliefs on them, GTFO. The USA isn’t a theocracy and in fact was fought and died for by those who were fleeing a religious ideology being forced onto themselves. If theocracy is what you desire, there are many options to be found outside the US. Each one is considered to be oppression and human rights violators so maybe take that as a sign that perhaps it’s a bad idea.

I don’t believe in abortion except in extreme cases so, I feel I am pretty conservative. But, setting precedent of one religion creating social warfare on non-believers is s kippers slope that can only lead to the death of democracy as we know it.

Drew basically denounced the group and any other that doesn’t preach acceptance of all so I find that pretty telling as to what he feels is right in this debate. Do you consider him choosing sides as well?
Do you have any facts? Do you know anything about this organization other than what you have read in the media? The OP is criticising Breese because he went against the media! Are you kidding me? Is that now the American way?

Just because the media -- and you -- say this group is a hate group, doesn't make it so. And then you people want to make the leap in logic to say, by association, Breese must be a hater. These are fascist tactics all too commonly used by the left. I'll use your own favorite term. If you are going to use those tactics to impose your views on others and to try to destroy the lives of those who don't agree, GTFO.

Do you have any facts? Do you know anything about this organization other than what you have read in the media? The OP is criticising Breese because he went against the media! Are you kidding me? Is that now the American way?

Just because the media -- and you -- say this group is a hate group, doesn't make it so. And then you people want to make the leap in logic to say, by association, Breese must be a hater. These are fascist tactics all too commonly used by the left. I'll use your own favorite term. If you are going to use those tactics to impose your views on others and to try to destroy the lives of those who don't agree, GTFO.
And BTW, if this group is a hate group in the mold of Chik-Fil-A, another favorite target of the leftists insanity, then I would say few Americans will agree with your labels.

With all due respect, Catholicism is a part and form of Christianity, fyi.
You would be surprised how many people dont know Catholicism was the beginning of Christianity and not aware of the split and what I believe through Jefferson's love for the french and disdain for england was in the background for his letter to the danbury baptist which hugo black interpretated in the separation of church and state.

Didnt want a national church like england did..

I dont know anything about Focus on the family, but until this thread had no idea so many were against them. I'm not into group thought that dominates so many today and so I guess I'm unaware and admit it. Treat people how you want to be treated with less worry about conforming to another's thoughts.

I’m perfectly fine with Drew Brees comments.
Here is what I’m sick and tired of, LBGTQ community shoving their crap and beliefs in my face at every turn. This community has their right to speak, but so do I. They are damn lucky they live in USA and not in other countries where they’d be executed. Nuf said, let’s move along.
Fundamentalist Islamic countries would, indeed, treat them badly, if not put their lives in mortal danger. The same is true, of course, for the fate of American Methodists, in those countries.
The LBGTQ community has and will be heard from as we go forward in time. Not sure why your face would be getting in the way of their messages.
Their beliefs will prevail if the judiciary of the United States rules that they will prevail. I'm guessing that Circuit Courts, Appellate Courts, and the SCOTUS will not agree with your characterization of their constitutionally guaranteed rights as " crap '.
What SOME American citizens might be " Sick and tired of " is people like you.

Just because one supports traditional laws regarding marriage does not make one a "hater" of homosexuals. It might rather mean that one views traditional marriage as a foundation of family and society and is concerned about changes that might undermine that institution.

interesting since I just received an email (8:51 AM) from a retired teacher (no relation and have never met) in Plano, Texas this morning relative to missing fathers in a child's life. I copy and pasted below as received...

Excerpts from this article:

Dear Friends,

The horrible massacre of 31 innocent people a few weeks ago in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, was staggering for Americans. Once again, we witnessed ghastly multiple murders. It is happening regularly, with no end in sight. Though it is heart-wrenching to recall, we must not forget the slaughter of 20 precious kindergartners and 6 adult staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary School, or the killing of 12 teenagers and 1 faculty member at Columbine High School, just a few miles from our home in Colorado. America watched through their tears another brutal bloodbath of 14 students and 3 teachers at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, and a Sunday morning mass murder of worshippers at a Baptist church in Sutherland Springs, Texas. Twenty-six churchgoers died there.

Another assault occurred in a synagogue in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, where 11 Jewish men and women were mowed down. Then, there was the vicious attack by a shooter standing in a hotel window in Las Vegas, Nevada, where 58 people lost their lives in a barrage of gunfire. Sadly, we could list dozens of more incidents.

…We all want to know what motivated the killers and how can we stop others from copying them.

Though each situation is unique, most of the murderers had one thing in common. They were boys or young men who grew up in dysfunctional families without caring fathers in the home. That is what Mark Meckler addressed in an article published inPatheos. These are his conclusions:

Yes, yes, and a thousand times yes.

Fatherlessness is a serious problem. America’s boys have been under stress for decades. It’s not toxic masculinity hurting them, it’s the fact that when they come home there are no fathers there. Plain and simple. Add that to a bunch of horrible cultural trends telling them that everything bad is good (gang culture, drugs, misogyny, etc.), and we’ve got a serious problem on our hands.

This problem can’t be solved by any policy or any sort of gun control. It is time to have a serious discussion about the degradation of our cultural norms.1

Suzanne Venker, in a recent FoxNews article noted that of CNN’s list of the “27 Deadliest Mass Shootings in U.S. History,” only one perpetrator was raised by his biological father since childhood. She wrote:

Indeed, there is a direct correlation between boys who grow up with absentee fathers and boys who drop out of school, who drink, who do drugs, who become delinquent, who wind up in prison, and who kill their classmates and other unknowing victims.2

Venker also concluded:

Parental absence and disconnection are rampant in America. Did we honestly believe it would have no impact?3

Retired Lt. Gen. William Boykin said in an interview with Miguel Moreno of The Epoch Times:

The fact is we have an epidemic of absentee fathers in the home and a disintegrating family structure in America. [It] is a major cause for what we see happening in these mass shootings. We have a generation of young people who have no mentors. There is no one to instruct and encourage them, or to help them on their path to manhood or womanhood.4

Psychologist Peter Langman, an authority on school shootings, studied a list of 56 school shooters. He found that 82 percent of the perpetrators grew up in broken homes with drug abuse, parental absence, and divorce.5

The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University found that children living in two-parent families who had only a fair or poor relationship with their fathers were at a 68 percent higher risk of smoking, drinking, and drug usage than teens having a good or excellent relationship with their dads.6 The influence of a good father can hardly be overemphasized.

Dr. William Pollock, Harvard psychologist and author of Real Boys, determines that divorce is terribly difficult for children of both sexes, but it is devastating for males. He says the basic problem is the lack of discipline and supervision in the father’s absence and his unavailability to teach his son what it means to be a man.

Pollock also believes fathers are crucial in helping boys learn to manage their emotions.7 As we have seen, without the guidance and direction of a father, a boy’s frustration often leads to varieties of violence and other antisocial behavior.

Whereas, girls have a readily available model after which to pattern feminine behavior and attitudes (except when daughters are raised by single fathers), boys living with single mothers are left to formulate their masculine identity out of thin air. This is why early divorce is also harder for boys.

Writer Angela Phillips believes (and I agree) that the high incidence of homosexuality occurring in Western nations is related, at least in part, to the absence of a positive male influence when boys are moving through the first crisis of child development.8 One of the primary objectives of parents is to help boys identify their gender assignment and understand what it means to be a man.

…Now, we know that family disruption is the real culprit. Despite all the red flags that warn us of the dangers, cavalier attitudes abound with regard to premarital sex and pregnancy, divorce, infidelity, and cohabitation. Don Elium, author of Raising a Son, says that with troubled boys, the common theme is distant, uninvolved fathers and, in turn, mothers who have taken on more responsibility to fill the gap.9

Sociologist Peter Karl believes that because boys spend up to 80 percent of their time with women, they don’t know how to act as men when they grow up. When that happens, the relationship between the sexes is directly affected. Men become helpless and more and more like big kids.10

…I am convinced that the institution of the family is the ground floor of civilization. Everything of significance to the social contract depends on the stability of that foundation. If it is weakened or undermined, as we are seeing throughout Western culture, the entire superstructure can come crashing down. That is what we appear to be witnessing on every level.

Furthermore, because males are inherently more volatile and aggressive than females, the presence of a strong, loving, wise father or father-figure is the best antidote to antisocial behavior of all types, which could even include mass murder. In addition to crumbling families, we are witnessing an environment of hate like we haven’t seen since the Civil War. It is a recipe for disaster.

I believe the future of Western civilization depends on how we handle this present crisis. We, as parents, are raising the next generation of boys who will either mature to be honorable family men, or they will be a liability at home and in their communities. Men are the bridges to the future. Nations that are populated largely by immature, immoral, weak-willed, cowardly, violent, and self-indulgent men cannot and will not long endure.

These types of men include those who sire and abandon their own children, who cheat on their wives, who lie, steal, and covet, who regularly shout at or beat up their wives and children, who hate their countrymen, and who serve no god but money.

…We must make every effort to interdict those dangerous influences, and to build within our young men lasting qualities of character, self-discipline, respect for authority, commitment to the work ethic, and an unshakable love for Jesus Christ.The pursuit of those objectives led me to undertake the writing of my book, Bringing Up Boys

Repeatedly during my review of the professional literature for Bringing Up Boys, I came face-to-face with the same disturbing issue. Boys are in trouble today primarily because their parents, and especially dads, are distracted, overworked, harassed, exhausted, disinterested, chemically dependent, absent, abusers, lawless, or simply unable to cope. All other problems plaguing young males flow from (or are related to) these facts of life in the twenty-first century. Boys are the big losers when families splinter.

…It has been said, “No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a boy.”11

Another wise observer said, “Tie a boy to the right man, and he almost never goes wrong.”12

When asked who their heroes are, the majority of boys who are fortunate enough to have a good father will say, “It’s my dad.” On the other hand, when a dad is uninvolved—when he doesn’t love or care for his kids—he creates an ache, a longing, that will linger for a lifetime. Again, without minimizing how much girls need their fathers, which we also acknowledge, boys are constructed emotionally to be dependent on dads in ways that were not understood until recently.

Let me illustrate this principle further with a finding from the world of nature. Other than dogs, which I have always loved, the animals that fascinate me most are elephants. These magnificent creatures are highly emotional and surprisingly intelligent. I suppose that’s why it is disturbing to see them suffering the encroachment of civilization.

That is happening in the Pilanesberg National Park in northwestern South Africa. Rangers there have reported that young bull elephants in that region have become increasingly violent in recent years—especially to nearby white rhinos. Without provocation, an elephant will knock a rhinoceros over and then kneel and gore it to death. This is not typical elephant behavior, and it’s been very difficult to explain.

But now game wardens think they’ve cracked the code. Apparently, the aggressiveness is a by-product of government programs to reduce elephant populations by killing the older elephants. Almost all of the young rogues were orphaned when they were calves, depriving them of adult contact. Under normal circumstances, dominant older bulls keep the young elephants in line and serve as role models for them. In the absence of that influence, “juvenile delinquent” elephants grow up and terrorize their neighbors.13

…The absence of early supervision and discipline is often catastrophic—for teenagers and for elephants.

I also want to offer a word of advice to mothers, especially those who are in what feels to them like a loveless marriage. You may be the wife of a good provider, a decent man, and even a solid moral Christian. But, alas, he’s not romantic enough, and you’re thinking about getting out. Seventy percent of those who file for divorce are women, many of them for the reason I’ve just described. Before you call it quits, think of your children. What is it going to do to those kids, both boys and girls, for you to bail? That may not be what you wanted me to say, but by sharing these thoughts, I might save some women from making a huge mistake. Think and pray hard before tearing your family in two.

To the single mother, I want to urge you to find a strong role model for your boys. You are not equipped to teach him how to be a man. Get your boys into a good program that offers Christian mentoring for them, such as Trail Life, or a good church program. Find a godly coach or another organization that is Christian through and through. One way or another, you need to locate a good man who can show your lad how a guy thinks and acts—a man with character and courage. He’s out there. Ask the Lord to help you find him.

The LBGTQ movement is closing in on the God-inspired and established institution of the family. If it goes down, our country will fall with it.

This has been a hard letter to write. I hope you found it helpful.

God be with you,

1. Of the 27 Deadliest Mass Shooters, 26 of Them Had One Thing in Common

2. The desperate cry of America's boys

3. Mother absence matters just as much as father absence

4. "Degrading Family Structures Contributes to Mass Shootings: Family Research Council" The Epoch Times.

5. School Shooters: The Myth of the Stable Home

6. Dobson, James C., Ph.D., Bringing Up Boys. Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., 2005; p.56.

7. Ibid.

8. Ibid., p. 58.

9. Ibid., p. 56.

10. Ibid.

11. Ibid., p. 57.

12. Ibid.

13. Ibid., pp. 59-60.

Fundamentalist Islamic countries would, indeed, treat them badly, if not put their lives in mortal danger. The same is true, of course, for the fate of American Methodists, in those countries.
The LBGTQ community has and will be heard from as we go forward in time. Not sure why your face would be getting in the way of their messages.
Their beliefs will prevail if the judiciary of the United States rules that they will prevail. I'm guessing that Circuit Courts, Appellate Courts, and the SCOTUS will not agree with your characterization of their constitutionally guaranteed rights as " crap '.
What SOME American citizens might be " Sick and tired of " is people like you.
Get off your soapbox and take it to another forum. A very high percentage of posters here don’t care about YOUR views. As I said earlier, speak freely and be thankful you live in the USA. Just don’t tread on this forum. In fact, take it to the GBI GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM. That is where politics, religion, guns, and LBGTQ views can be openly debated. Thank you.

interesting since I just received an email (8:51 AM) from a retired teacher (no relation and have never met) in Plano, Texas this morning relative to missing fathers in a child's life. I copy and pasted below as received...

Excerpts from this article:

Dear Friends,

The horrible massacre of 31 innocent people a few weeks ago in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, was staggering for Americans. Once again, we witnessed ghastly multiple murders. It is happening regularly, with no end in sight. Though it is heart-wrenching to recall, we must not forget the slaughter of 20 precious kindergartners and 6 adult staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary School, or the killing of 12 teenagers and 1 faculty member at Columbine High School, just a few miles from our home in Colorado. America watched through their tears another brutal bloodbath of 14 students and 3 teachers at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, and a Sunday morning mass murder of worshippers at a Baptist church in Sutherland Springs, Texas. Twenty-six churchgoers died there.

Another assault occurred in a synagogue in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, where 11 Jewish men and women were mowed down. Then, there was the vicious attack by a shooter standing in a hotel window in Las Vegas, Nevada, where 58 people lost their lives in a barrage of gunfire. Sadly, we could list dozens of more incidents.

…We all want to know what motivated the killers and how can we stop others from copying them.

Though each situation is unique, most of the murderers had one thing in common. They were boys or young men who grew up in dysfunctional families without caring fathers in the home. That is what Mark Meckler addressed in an article published inPatheos. These are his conclusions:

Yes, yes, and a thousand times yes.

Fatherlessness is a serious problem. America’s boys have been under stress for decades. It’s not toxic masculinity hurting them, it’s the fact that when they come home there are no fathers there. Plain and simple. Add that to a bunch of horrible cultural trends telling them that everything bad is good (gang culture, drugs, misogyny, etc.), and we’ve got a serious problem on our hands.

This problem can’t be solved by any policy or any sort of gun control. It is time to have a serious discussion about the degradation of our cultural norms.1

Suzanne Venker, in a recent FoxNews article noted that of CNN’s list of the “27 Deadliest Mass Shootings in U.S. History,” only one perpetrator was raised by his biological father since childhood. She wrote:

Indeed, there is a direct correlation between boys who grow up with absentee fathers and boys who drop out of school, who drink, who do drugs, who become delinquent, who wind up in prison, and who kill their classmates and other unknowing victims.2

Venker also concluded:

Parental absence and disconnection are rampant in America. Did we honestly believe it would have no impact?3

Retired Lt. Gen. William Boykin said in an interview with Miguel Moreno of The Epoch Times:

The fact is we have an epidemic of absentee fathers in the home and a disintegrating family structure in America. [It] is a major cause for what we see happening in these mass shootings. We have a generation of young people who have no mentors. There is no one to instruct and encourage them, or to help them on their path to manhood or womanhood.4

Psychologist Peter Langman, an authority on school shootings, studied a list of 56 school shooters. He found that 82 percent of the perpetrators grew up in broken homes with drug abuse, parental absence, and divorce.5

The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University found that children living in two-parent families who had only a fair or poor relationship with their fathers were at a 68 percent higher risk of smoking, drinking, and drug usage than teens having a good or excellent relationship with their dads.6 The influence of a good father can hardly be overemphasized.

Dr. William Pollock, Harvard psychologist and author of Real Boys, determines that divorce is terribly difficult for children of both sexes, but it is devastating for males. He says the basic problem is the lack of discipline and supervision in the father’s absence and his unavailability to teach his son what it means to be a man.

Pollock also believes fathers are crucial in helping boys learn to manage their emotions.7 As we have seen, without the guidance and direction of a father, a boy’s frustration often leads to varieties of violence and other antisocial behavior.

Whereas, girls have a readily available model after which to pattern feminine behavior and attitudes (except when daughters are raised by single fathers), boys living with single mothers are left to formulate their masculine identity out of thin air. This is why early divorce is also harder for boys.

Writer Angela Phillips believes (and I agree) that the high incidence of homosexuality occurring in Western nations is related, at least in part, to the absence of a positive male influence when boys are moving through the first crisis of child development.8 One of the primary objectives of parents is to help boys identify their gender assignment and understand what it means to be a man.

…Now, we know that family disruption is the real culprit. Despite all the red flags that warn us of the dangers, cavalier attitudes abound with regard to premarital sex and pregnancy, divorce, infidelity, and cohabitation. Don Elium, author of Raising a Son, says that with troubled boys, the common theme is distant, uninvolved fathers and, in turn, mothers who have taken on more responsibility to fill the gap.9

Sociologist Peter Karl believes that because boys spend up to 80 percent of their time with women, they don’t know how to act as men when they grow up. When that happens, the relationship between the sexes is directly affected. Men become helpless and more and more like big kids.10

…I am convinced that the institution of the family is the ground floor of civilization. Everything of significance to the social contract depends on the stability of that foundation. If it is weakened or undermined, as we are seeing throughout Western culture, the entire superstructure can come crashing down. That is what we appear to be witnessing on every level.

Furthermore, because males are inherently more volatile and aggressive than females, the presence of a strong, loving, wise father or father-figure is the best antidote to antisocial behavior of all types, which could even include mass murder. In addition to crumbling families, we are witnessing an environment of hate like we haven’t seen since the Civil War. It is a recipe for disaster.

I believe the future of Western civilization depends on how we handle this present crisis. We, as parents, are raising the next generation of boys who will either mature to be honorable family men, or they will be a liability at home and in their communities. Men are the bridges to the future. Nations that are populated largely by immature, immoral, weak-willed, cowardly, violent, and self-indulgent men cannot and will not long endure.

These types of men include those who sire and abandon their own children, who cheat on their wives, who lie, steal, and covet, who regularly shout at or beat up their wives and children, who hate their countrymen, and who serve no god but money.

…We must make every effort to interdict those dangerous influences, and to build within our young men lasting qualities of character, self-discipline, respect for authority, commitment to the work ethic, and an unshakable love for Jesus Christ.The pursuit of those objectives led me to undertake the writing of my book, Bringing Up Boys

Repeatedly during my review of the professional literature for Bringing Up Boys, I came face-to-face with the same disturbing issue. Boys are in trouble today primarily because their parents, and especially dads, are distracted, overworked, harassed, exhausted, disinterested, chemically dependent, absent, abusers, lawless, or simply unable to cope. All other problems plaguing young males flow from (or are related to) these facts of life in the twenty-first century. Boys are the big losers when families splinter.

…It has been said, “No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a boy.”11

Another wise observer said, “Tie a boy to the right man, and he almost never goes wrong.”12

When asked who their heroes are, the majority of boys who are fortunate enough to have a good father will say, “It’s my dad.” On the other hand, when a dad is uninvolved—when he doesn’t love or care for his kids—he creates an ache, a longing, that will linger for a lifetime. Again, without minimizing how much girls need their fathers, which we also acknowledge, boys are constructed emotionally to be dependent on dads in ways that were not understood until recently.

Let me illustrate this principle further with a finding from the world of nature. Other than dogs, which I have always loved, the animals that fascinate me most are elephants. These magnificent creatures are highly emotional and surprisingly intelligent. I suppose that’s why it is disturbing to see them suffering the encroachment of civilization.

That is happening in the Pilanesberg National Park in northwestern South Africa. Rangers there have reported that young bull elephants in that region have become increasingly violent in recent years—especially to nearby white rhinos. Without provocation, an elephant will knock a rhinoceros over and then kneel and gore it to death. This is not typical elephant behavior, and it’s been very difficult to explain.

But now game wardens think they’ve cracked the code. Apparently, the aggressiveness is a by-product of government programs to reduce elephant populations by killing the older elephants. Almost all of the young rogues were orphaned when they were calves, depriving them of adult contact. Under normal circumstances, dominant older bulls keep the young elephants in line and serve as role models for them. In the absence of that influence, “juvenile delinquent” elephants grow up and terrorize their neighbors.13

…The absence of early supervision and discipline is often catastrophic—for teenagers and for elephants.

I also want to offer a word of advice to mothers, especially those who are in what feels to them like a loveless marriage. You may be the wife of a good provider, a decent man, and even a solid moral Christian. But, alas, he’s not romantic enough, and you’re thinking about getting out. Seventy percent of those who file for divorce are women, many of them for the reason I’ve just described. Before you call it quits, think of your children. What is it going to do to those kids, both boys and girls, for you to bail? That may not be what you wanted me to say, but by sharing these thoughts, I might save some women from making a huge mistake. Think and pray hard before tearing your family in two.

To the single mother, I want to urge you to find a strong role model for your boys. You are not equipped to teach him how to be a man. Get your boys into a good program that offers Christian mentoring for them, such as Trail Life, or a good church program. Find a godly coach or another organization that is Christian through and through. One way or another, you need to locate a good man who can show your lad how a guy thinks and acts—a man with character and courage. He’s out there. Ask the Lord to help you find him.

The LBGTQ movement is closing in on the God-inspired and established institution of the family. If it goes down, our country will fall with it.

This has been a hard letter to write. I hope you found it helpful.

God be with you,

1. Of the 27 Deadliest Mass Shooters, 26 of Them Had One Thing in Common

2. The desperate cry of America's boys

3. Mother absence matters just as much as father absence

4. "Degrading Family Structures Contributes to Mass Shootings: Family Research Council" The Epoch Times.

5. School Shooters: The Myth of the Stable Home

6. Dobson, James C., Ph.D., Bringing Up Boys. Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., 2005; p.56.

7. Ibid.

8. Ibid., p. 58.

9. Ibid., p. 56.

10. Ibid.

11. Ibid., p. 57.

12. Ibid.

13. Ibid., pp. 59-60.

I didn't have time to read the entire article (too many items on the honey-do list), but spot on.

Having an intact family doesn't guarantee we won't see these types of horrific events, but having a culture without it certainly increases the odds... substantially.

I know it's not what some people want to see/hear, but sometimes the truth can be that way.

Get off your soapbox and take it to another forum. A very high percentage of posters here don’t care about YOUR views. As I said earlier, speak freely and be thankful you live in the USA. Just don’t tread on this forum. In fact, take it to the GBI GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM. That is where politics, religion, guns, and LBGTQ views can be openly debated. Thank you.

just avoid the thread. Thank you.

Dead on. This useless debate should have been posted to a different forum. Telling people not to read it is not the best solution, although it can work.

These groups that sound like they are promoting something worthwhile and then turn out to be something else really annoy me. I had no idea just like Drew, that “Focus On the Family “ was anti gay. I think they took advantage of Drew and that makes me angry. Is there a way to show support for him?

I mean....Drew has "people". A simple Google search shows pretty clearly what Focus on the Family is about. When you type it in Google, the second suggested term is "conversion therapy".

Stupid mistake, but not something that people won't get over. He's a good guy.
Stupid mistake? Give me a break. He’s entitled to his beliefs. Disagree with him or not. People always have to have their panties in a bunch over something. Believe it not there are a helluva lot of people who don’t agree with the LGBT beliefs. They are entitled to their opinion. I’m not a religious person but I sure as hell don’t criticize people who are. Not all people are politically correct thank God!!!

So YOUR two posts on this subject are WELCOMED HERE, on the Free BASKETBALL forum, but MY one belongs on the General Discussion forum ??!!
This just in: YOU SIR, not now....not ever...will be in a position to determine whose posts are or are not welcomed on THIS or any other GBI forum.
Got it?
I was wholly unlikely to offer anything up at all here until I read what YOU, and you alone, had to say.
I can simplify it all for you: You disparage the rights of certain law-abiding US citizens to be heard in this country,….and there will be blowback.

Count on it.

Probably should look it up yourself and read his follow up explanation to form your own opinion instead of someone's personal interpretation on here. I do agree athletes along with actors and musicians should just shut up and perform. Their opinions are no more important than yours or mine.
True, but they have the same right to speak their opinions as you and I do. Why declare certain professions unable to express viewpoints?

Are you trying to troll?

Since when does the media set a positive standard for anyone?

Bunch of rabble rousing socialist trouble makers (the media). The very definition of "enemy of the people" and the USA.
You've been brainwashed. What a broad brush you paint with.

I dont know anything about Focus on the family, but until this thread had no idea so many were against them. I'm not into group thought that dominates so many today and so I guess I'm unaware and admit it. Treat people how you want to be treated with less worry about conforming to another's thoughts.
And I would guess that the people who are criticising Drew Brees for encouraging kids to take their Bible to school do not know anything about the organization other than what they read in the media. Because their favorite media outlet says the organization (like Chick-Fil-A) is a hate group, then it must be true. And by association, so is Drew Brees. It boggles the mind.

And I would guess that the people who are criticising Drew Brees for encouraging kids to take their Bible to school do not know anything about the organization other than what they read in the media. Because their favorite media outlet says the organization (like Chick-Fil-A) is a hate group, then it must be true. And by association, so is Drew Brees. It boggles the mind.
The misinformation contained in your post does likewise.

I’m not sure anyone has touched on this yet so if they have, siap.

The organization Drew worked with on the video is an organization that is known to promote anti-LGBTQ+ laws and legislation along with being an advocate for conversion therapy which can include electroshock (which former Gov. Mike Pence also supported). The issue isn’t bringing your Bible to school...the issue is the organization Drew aligned himself with stands at odds with what he has promoted himself as living and believing.
VERY well said.
We all love Drew. Drew's a gazillionaire. Can afford to hire people to do PSA's that are independently produced, with his and his name ONLY associated with a fine idea like kids taking a bible to school.( Not, of course, for Christianity classes in a public school.)
If you do spots with an organization that has connections to troublesome issues, then live and learn. And go independent, next time.

So YOUR two posts on this subject are WELCOMED HERE, on the Free BASKETBALL forum, but MY one belongs on the General Discussion forum ??!!
This just in: YOU SIR, not now....not ever...will be in a position to determine whose posts are or are not welcomed on THIS or any other GBI forum.
Got it?
I was wholly unlikely to offer anything up at all here until I read what YOU, and you alone, had to say.
I can simplify it all for you: You disparage the rights of certain law-abiding US citizens to be heard in this country,….and there will be blowback.

Count on it.
Should I be scared? You seem pretty damn tough behind a keyboard.

I continue to have all the respect in the world for Drew Brees. I love that he did this spot. I have watched Focus on the Family for many years and I always wished that they would stay out of politics, but I love that they are an organization that is dedicated to strengthening families and marriages. Doing a spot for them is not condoning every position that they take and the vilification of Drew Brees over this is absolutely ridiculous. Brees was completely well intentioned in this case. Brees is an awesome role model and a class act. Boilers should be proud.

This whole thread is ridiculous.
1. This is a basketball forum, not the football forum. We don't talk about what Rick Mount said in the football forum.
2. Drew Brees said NOTHING against or about the LGBTQ community in the said video, so even the thread title is completely misleading.
3. Religious freedom, anyone?
4. The group in question is not out there insisting killing gays or something. They protest against gay marriage not to hate them, but to protect the traditional family views. They might want the same thing done but they ARE NOT AIMING FOR THE SAME. You can disagree with them, but that doesn't make them the enemy of the society.
5. Brees explained his situation. Period.

Last edited:
This whole thread is ridiculous.
1. This is a basketball forum, not the football forum. We don't talk about what Rick Mount said in the football forum.
2. Drew Brees said NOTHING against or about the LGBTQ community in the said video, so even the thread title is completely misleading.
3. Religious freedom, anyone?
4. The group in question is not out there insisting killing gays or something. They protest against gay marriage not to hate them, but to protect the traditional family views. They might want the same thing done but they ARE NOT AIMING FOR THE SAME. You can disagree with them, but that doesn't make them the enemy of the society.
5. Brees explained his situation. Period.
Hate crimes against the LGBTQ community are real and on the rise. Gays getting married doesn’t affect ones ability to practice their religion in any way. Condoning conversion therapy and financially supporting legislation that discriminates does have an affect on others rights. The Supreme Court has ruled that marriage is a fundamental right under the constitution.

Christians can say marriage is an act sanctioned by God but, in the US, it is sanctioned by the state and it is unconstitutional to make state laws that violate ones rights under federal law.

Drew has condemned that type of hate speech and rightfully so.

I am biased in favor of Drew Brees, but I do feel his words and actions are genuinely sincere. IMO, he's always been a stand-up individual as a man, husband, father, quarterback, Christian, and everything he's done. He's battled injuries and worked his way to a Hall-of-Fame career and been a shining example of what sports and leadership can bring to communities.

I am more than proud of what he's done for Purdue University and the way he has conducted himself, and I'm privileged to be a fellow alumnus with him.

Unfortunately, these types of issues can turn into a firestorm with the outreach of social media. I can understand if others don't share his beliefs, and they have every right to that. But if they want to call into question his character and integrity, I have problems with that. He's more than earned the benefit of the doubt with what's in his heart with me.

For those interested:

https://twitter.com/drewbrees

It's funny how every anti-god individual with a vocal cord can scream they have the right to say whatever they want but they will spin that opinion like a zero-turn mower in a tornado as soon as anyone speaks in favor of religion. If you have no faith then that is our demon. but if someone does it is not only his civil right to speak but his obligation to spread the word. He is not going to make anyone truly serve by encouraging but he may make it more palatable to consider by some. In this hugely hostile political environment, the church finds itself in right now its nice to see some who have the ability to elicit change taking the initiative.

Hyperbole? Provide a link showing this organization wants to force people into conversion therapy.

And don't forget that the people who believe in Allah traditionally have dealt much harsher treatment to gay people. Do they really get to do as they see fit?
Let me address your post with a couple different things:

1. Focus on the Family is a Christian organization who actively attempts to deny rights to the LGBTQ+ community. FOTF created a traveling conference titled 'Love Won Out' which promoted the use of reparative conversion therapy and denying rights to homosexual individuals. 'Love Won Out' then transitioned to a organization entitled 'Exodus International' which has come out and apologized for the harm it caused through their gay conversion therapy methods. When Exodus International ceased to exist, FOTF transitioned their support to 'The Restored Hope Network' which states their goal as being to ‘transform’ gays and lesbians from being “broken sexual sinners.’”

This same group is led by a man who has stated that a loving home with a same-sex couple would be worse than leaving a child the foster care system and stated that children in a home of a same sex couple are essentially 'guinea pigs' in the experiment of homosexual rights.

This is an avenue that Drew and his camp probably overlooked and given his long standing outspoken support of the LGBTQ community, you should now know why there was a decent amount of backlash with the video he created.

The Human Rights Council has laid out a number of different facts at this website here: Human Rights Council on Focus on the Family

2. You are also showing a lack of exposure to the Islamic community when you categorically say that 'the people who believe in Allah traditionally have dealt much harsher treatment to gay people.' What you are doing is categorizing an entire group of people who follow a very understanding and inclusive religion with state run governments in Saudi Arabia, Iran, and other countries that use religion as the front to deny rights to individuals and groups of people.

Care to elaborate?

I see so much wide-spread one-sided reporting in the media that I am not surprised to see more of our more intelligent posters expressing this opinion.
At the time of the post, 11:39 P.M. Sunday night, my 8 words were all the elaboration I could muster, unfortunately.

Reactions: mathboy
Let me address your post with a couple different things:

1. Focus on the Family is a Christian organization who actively attempts to deny rights to the LGBTQ+ community. FOTF created a traveling conference titled 'Love Won Out' which promoted the use of reparative conversion therapy and denying rights to homosexual individuals. 'Love Won Out' then transitioned to a organization entitled 'Exodus International' which has come out and apologized for the harm it caused through their gay conversion therapy methods. When Exodus International ceased to exist, FOTF transitioned their support to 'The Restored Hope Network' which states their goal as being to ‘transform’ gays and lesbians from being “broken sexual sinners.’”

This same group is led by a man who has stated that a loving home with a same-sex couple would be worse than leaving a child the foster care system and stated that children in a home of a same sex couple are essentially 'guinea pigs' in the experiment of homosexual rights.

This is an avenue that Drew and his camp probably overlooked and given his long standing outspoken support of the LGBTQ community, you should now know why there was a decent amount of backlash with the video he created.

The Human Rights Council has laid out a number of different facts at this website here: Human Rights Council on Focus on the Family

2. You are also showing a lack of exposure to the Islamic community when you categorically say that 'the people who believe in Allah traditionally have dealt much harsher treatment to gay people.' What you are doing is categorizing an entire group of people who follow a very understanding and inclusive religion with state run governments in Saudi Arabia, Iran, and other countries that use religion as the front to deny rights to individuals and groups of people.

Using the human rights council as your reference certainly doesn't strengthen the arguments against Focus on the Family, given that they are probably the largest anti-Christian group in the US. Frankly, if /when they ever label me as having hatred toward gays due to my belief that marriage is between a man and a woman, then that's their problem. I don't hate gays, and have friends and co-workers who fall into that category. The problem is that it's too easy to call someone a hater these days, and all too often to do so in a ridiculously loud and public way. Not in favor of abortion? You hate women. Against ILLEGAL immigration? You must hate foreigners (typically only defined as Hispanics these days). In favor of school choice? You hate public schools and/or inner city children. The list goes on and on, unfortunately. Groups like the one you cited are well organized and utilize their public media presence to try to silence anyone who doesn't fall in line with their agenda, including someone like Drew Brees(who didn't say anything negative toward gays).

All that being said, this entire thread should be deleted, or at least moved off of the basketball board.

Using the human rights council as your reference certainly doesn't strengthen the arguments against Focus on the Family, given that they are probably the largest anti-Christian group in the US. Frankly, if /when they ever label me as having hatred toward gays due to my belief that marriage is between a man and a woman, then that's their problem. I don't hate gays, and have friends and co-workers who fall into that category. The problem is that it's too easy to call someone a hater these days, and all too often to do so in a ridiculously loud and public way. Not in favor of abortion? You hate women. Against ILLEGAL immigration? You must hate foreigners (typically only defined as Hispanics these days). In favor of school choice? You hate public schools and/or inner city children. The list goes on and on, unfortunately. Groups like the one you cited are well organized and utilize their public media presence to try to silence anyone who doesn't fall in line with their agenda, including someone like Drew Brees(who didn't say anything negative toward gays).

All that being said, this entire thread should be deleted, or at least moved off of the basketball board.

It has already been moved as requested by a number of different people.

I, in no way, said any individual who is against gay marriage is homophobic rather I pointed to an organization who has through their actions and words been for conversion therapy and attempted to advance the idea of denial of legal and equal rights to citizens of our country based solely on their own personal religious ideals...something that is some what laid out in the Constitution as not being legal...unless you'd like to be considered on equal footing as Saudi Arabia and other theocratic governments around the world. If that occurred, the foundation of our Constitution would crumble as you would actively be denying basic civil liberties and rights on the basis of a difference of religion which clearly the 1st Amendment states you have a freedom of religion (or the choice to have a lack of religion). Why that concept is hard for people to understand is beyond me.

Reactions: doubleyous
for a christian the great commission is to "go and tell". that is not hate.

edit: christians will not force their views on anyone. hopefully they will explain that the bible is the truth

Reactions: toddbrewster
You'll have to be less vague.
Question: Would a 50 word, 500 word, or 5,000 word essay response, to you, on the prejudice, partiality and sectarianism of subject matter of this post be the most helpful ??

Answer: A 50,000 word essay from ANYBODY involved in this thread would be of no particular value in bringing the discussion any closer to changing the perpetuity of it all. Bye.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT