ADVERTISEMENT

How can anyone defend what Drew Brees said?

What did he say?
Probably should look it up yourself and read his follow up explanation to form your own opinion instead of someone's personal interpretation on here. I do agree athletes along with actors and musicians should just shut up and perform. Their opinions are no more important than yours or mine.

He said nothing against the LGBT community. He was promoting bringing your Bible to school and so all the people looking to pick a fight and with a narrative just assumed since he’s a Christian that he hates them and wanted to pick a fight. I applaud Brees. I am a Christian myself and glad he has a backbone and stands for his beliefs and doesn’t bow to the mainstream that is offended by everything

Probably should look it up yourself and read his follow up explanation to form your own opinion instead of someone's personal interpretation on here. I do agree athletes along with actors and musicians should just shut up and perform. Their opinions are no more important than yours or mine.
I don't necessarily agree with this. I do agree when it comes to the their political beliefs. This is the word of God and to me this what he is supposed to do as a Christian. People can take it for what they want but it's still the belief of his and my God.

In a separate video shared on Twitter by a local New Orleans sports reporter, Brees said he was “not aware” of Focus on the Family's anti-gay lobbying efforts: He insisted the video he appeared in was solely focused on “Bring Your Bible to School Day” and “certainly not promoting any group associated with that type of behavior.”

In the video he uploaded on Thursday, Brees appeared surprised by the “rumors” spread about him that “led people to believe that somehow I was aligned with an organization that was anti-LGBTQ.”

“I’m not sure why the negativity spread or why people tried to rope me in to certain negativity,” he said, noting that he lives his life by “two very simple Christian fundamentals.”

“That is love the lord with all your heart, mind and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself,” he explained, adding that he loves, respects and accepts “all people, no matter your race, your color, your religious preference, your sexual orientation, your political beliefs — it doesn’t matter.”

What did he say?

He encouraged Christians to bring their bible to school on "Bring your bible to school" day.

He's a Christian, in essence he's encouraging people to not be ashamed to live out their faith.

Of all the things celebrities and athletes say and do, this should be celebrated, not shamed.

In a separate video shared on Twitter by a local New Orleans sports reporter, Brees said he was “not aware” of Focus on the Family's anti-gay lobbying efforts: He insisted the video he appeared in was solely focused on “Bring Your Bible to School Day” and “certainly not promoting any group associated with that type of behavior.”

In the video he uploaded on Thursday, Brees appeared surprised by the “rumors” spread about him that “led people to believe that somehow I was aligned with an organization that was anti-LGBTQ.”

“I’m not sure why the negativity spread or why people tried to rope me in to certain negativity,” he said, noting that he lives his life by “two very simple Christian fundamentals.”

“That is love the lord with all your heart, mind and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself,” he explained, adding that he loves, respects and accepts “all people, no matter your race, your color, your religious preference, your sexual orientation, your political beliefs — it doesn’t matter.”

I am biased in favor of Drew Brees, but I do feel his words and actions are genuinely sincere. IMO, he's always been a stand-up individual as a man, husband, father, quarterback, Christian, and everything he's done. He's battled injuries and worked his way to a Hall-of-Fame career and been a shining example of what sports and leadership can bring to communities.

I am more than proud of what he's done for Purdue University and the way he has conducted himself, and I'm privileged to be a fellow alumnus with him.

Unfortunately, these types of issues can turn into a firestorm with the outreach of social media. I can understand if others don't share his beliefs, and they have every right to that. But if they want to call into question his character and integrity, I have problems with that. He's more than earned the benefit of the doubt with what's in his heart with me.

For those interested:

https://twitter.com/drewbrees

Drew Brees is entitled to follow and express his religious beliefs just like any of us. He is a Christian. The Bible is a Christian book. People can read books and should do so as they like. I fail to understand the problem. Reading a book is not an act of aggression against anyone.

These groups that sound like they are promoting something worthwhile and then turn out to be something else really annoy me. I had no idea just like Drew, that “Focus On the Family “ was anti gay. I think they took advantage of Drew and that makes me angry. Is there a way to show support for him?

He encouraged Christians to bring their bible to school on "Bring your bible to school" day.

He's a Christian, in essence he's encouraging people to not be ashamed to live out their faith.

Of all the things celebrities and athletes say and do, this should be celebrated, not shamed.

You are trying to make the "issue" about something else. It's not the bible stuff. The issue is the organization he did it through, which strongly lobbies against gay adoption, rights, and same sex marriage, as well as promoting conversion therapy.

Given Drew's statement, the only thing missing is that he should be more careful about the organizations he's filming promotional materials for, simple as that.

These groups that sound like they are promoting something worthwhile and then turn out to be something else really annoy me. I had no idea just like Drew, that “Focus On the Family “ was anti gay. I think they took advantage of Drew and that makes me angry. Is there a way to show support for him?

I mean....Drew has "people". A simple Google search shows pretty clearly what Focus on the Family is about. When you type it in Google, the second suggested term is "conversion therapy".

Stupid mistake, but not something that people won't get over. He's a good guy.

You are trying to make the "issue" about something else. It's not the bible stuff. The issue is the organization he did it through, which strongly lobbies against gay adoption, rights, and same sex marriage, as well as promoting conversion therapy.

Given Drew's statement, the only thing missing is that he should be more careful about the organizations he's filming promotional materials for, simple as that.
So does this mean you believe the NFL backs the players that are kneeling during the national anthem? Because they are doing it not only through their employer's organization but also while on the clock. I get what you're saying but I don't believe he had any intent against the LBGTQ community just as I don't believe all those kneeling don't love America.

Pretty much. For someone who is so on his game, pretty big dropped ball if he didn't do a background check before agreeing to be featured, and his people/ staff should be getting at minimum a Stern talking to. He's to big of a brand, and to much $ involved to be doing random stuff, with organizations he "apparently" Doesn't know.

This is assuming he is genuine in his follow-up video, which I will assume he is.

The entire “hate” thing is way over blown. Focus on the Family purpose is to spread the gospel and promote strong and healthy families, not to do harm to anybody. Accordingly they take a very literal biblical stance on many social issues, while others take a more liberal view. But just because they are old fashioned non pc doesn’t mean other Christians can’t find common ground with them or join together on simple things that exercise our freedoms like carrying a bible. There is no reason Drew should have to distance himself from any of this.

I’m not sure anyone has touched on this yet so if they have, siap.

The organization Drew worked with on the video is an organization that is known to promote anti-LGBTQ+ laws and legislation along with being an advocate for conversion therapy which can include electroshock (which former Gov. Mike Pence also supported). The issue isn’t bringing your Bible to school...the issue is the organization Drew aligned himself with stands at odds with what he has promoted himself as living and believing.

The entire “hate” thing is way over blown. Focus on the Family purpose is to spread the gospel and promote strong and healthy families, not to do harm to anybody. Accordingly they take a very literal biblical stance on many social issues, while others take a more liberal view. But just because they are old fashioned non pc doesn’t mean other Christians can’t find common ground with them or join together on simple things that exercise our freedoms like carrying a bible. There is no reason Drew should have to distance himself from any of this.
Nope, if you believe or preach against any aspect of my life, you represent a hate group.

As this thread shows, there’s some discrepancy between what he “said” and what it implies.

The original post was oddly worded, so I was trying to find out what specifically irked the OP so much.

My question still stands.

There is no reason Drew should have to distance himself from any of this.

This is absolutely false and is proven by the media frenzy and the fact we’re talking about it here.

If he would have avoided alignment with this group, none of this would have happened. He’ll come out of this alright but I think a valuable lesson was learned - that some groups are toxic by mere association.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
But just because they are old fashioned non pc doesn’t mean other Christians can’t find common ground

This is a very slippery slope you are treading. Some groups are so toxic that it’s not smart to publicly align yourself in any way with them.

The westboro Baptist church has many of the same views on Christianity as any other denomination, but surely you would see the error in publicly supporting one of their agendas, even if it was innocent. Same with nazism and kkk and any other hate group.

This is absolutely false and is proven by the media frenzy and the fact we’re talking about it here.

If he would have avoided alignment with this group, none of this would have happened. He’ll come out of this alright but I think a valuable lesson was learned - that some groups are toxic by mere association.

The problem is that there are just way too many groups(and individuals for that matter) who are constantly looking to be offended. Public figures cannot say anything that the professional "offendees" dislike, or anything that can be even remotely twisted to create an offense without being labeled as anti-whatever.

This is a very slippery slope you are treading. Some groups are so toxic that it’s not smart to publicly align yourself in any way with them.

The westboro Baptist church has many of the same views on Christianity as any other denomination, but surely you would see the error in publicly supporting one of their agendas, even if it was innocent. Same with nazism and kkk and any other hate group.
Westbrook Baptist? Please. That’s like 30 inbred people in Nebraska. Focus on the famility has been mainline southern baptist for decades. Sad to see so many people are unwilling to see people with differences to join together for a cause. But that’s 2019 identity politics.

The organization Drew worked with on the video is an organization that is known to promote anti-LGBTQ+ laws and legislation along with being an advocate for conversion therapy which can include electroshock (which former Gov. Mike Pence also supported). The issue isn’t bringing your Bible to school...the issue is the organization Drew aligned himself with stands at odds with what he has promoted himself as living and believing.

This is the only logical thing anyone has posted so far. There is no question in my mind that Drew Brees is a great role model, but he and his people should further research the groups they choose to align with.

He didn’t “align himself” with this group. He did a public service message for them, one time.

When you align yourself with a group, you accept all their positions. That is not an accurate term to use for the one-off message about ringing a bible to school.

I get what you're saying but I don't believe he had any intent against the LBGTQ community just as I don't believe all those kneeling don't love America.

I'm not sure your comparison. The organization stands for all of those things and promotes them. The NFL does not "promote" 'kneeling' as part of its mission.

I don't think Drew had "intent" and I never said he did. He filmed a "PSA" for an organization that strongly backs many offensive things to people. Those people weren't fans that he did and had every right to say something.

He then apologized and clarified that he does not have those beliefs.

I'm just pointing out that he really should be smarter than to film something for an organization he doesn't do a simple Google search on.

If anything its a compliment that people were upset. Drew is very well liked and people were freaked out when they saw him working with this organization and thought it was a bit off.

He didn’t “align himself” with this group. He did a public service message for them, one time.

When you align yourself with a group, you accept all their positions. That is not an accurate term to use for the one-off message about ringing a bible to school.

To be fair, when you tape something for an organization, it typically means you're ok with the organization.....

I think this was simply a case of Drew (or his people) dropping the ball and not doing their homework.

Westbrook Baptist? Please. That’s like 30 inbred people in Nebraska. Focus on the famility has been mainline southern baptist for decades. Sad to see so many people are unwilling to see people with differences to join together for a cause. But that’s 2019 identity politics.

People are simply disagreeing with the organization. Nobody is stopping him. It's literally no different than when the Dixie Chicks were against the Iraq war and Republicans staged boycotts of their concerts.

Reactions: Statey

Until he couldn't run for President again, Obama stood for most of these things you are vilifying Focus on the Family for. Unless you voted against him or were calling for his impeachment, then this is pure hypocrisy.

Reactions: NVBoilerFan and BBG
To be fair, when you tape something for an organization, it typically means you're ok with the organization.....

I think this was simply a case of Drew (or his people) dropping the ball and not doing their homework.
To be truly fair, only the left is calling it hate. His Christian beliefs may lead him to truly believe what you slant as hateful. If so, should his life and career be destroyed because he doesn't believe as you do?

Reactions: bonefish1
To be truly fair, only the left is calling it hate. His Christian beliefs may lead him to truly believe what you slant as hateful. If so, should his life and career be destroyed because he doesn't believe as you do?
You don't understand. ONLY the left is allowed to label something as hate and only they are allowed to hold beliefs.

Doesn’t doing a public service message for a group equal aligning oneself with that group? Seems pretty black and white to me. Huge mistake yet I think Drew will overcome it.

It amazes me at times to see people ignore such anti American beliefs such as this organizations attack on the rights of fellow citizens in the name of the Bible. It truly mirrors the expansion of groups such as ISIS and Al Qaeda when people are attempting to sanction such attacks in the name of God while attacking the very foundation of our constitutional protections...you know like freedom from religious persecution.

This country isn’t a theocracy and it never shall be. Religious freedom doesn’t mean religion rules the country, it means you have the right to do as you see fit and others have the same.

Want to pray for gays? Have at it. Want to force them into conversion therapy? GTFO of here with that shit. This ain’t Saudi Arabia.

As for bringing Bibles to school. I don’t mind as I am a Christian. But don’t forget, in this country, the people who believe in Allah and those who don’t believe Christ is the messiah get to do as they see fit as well.

Just because one supports traditional laws regarding marriage does not make one a "hater" of homosexuals. It might rather mean that one views traditional marriage as a foundation of family and society and is concerned about changes that might undermine that institution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT