ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting

I watched the VaTech game on TV. I am sure many others did as well. I remember clearly the announcers mentioning the pro-VaTech crowd. There was no "...MIGHT..." as you have suggested. You could argue that the people there announcing the game were wrong, but on what basis would that be correct?

You are really reaching.

Also, you asked everyone to note that I continued the dialog. I did. Because you accused me falsely of lying and not them. They are more than capable of reading the thread and recognizing who wrote what. However, they were not the one improperly accused.

Read testimony from any Purdue fan who was there and Purdue by far and away had the largest fan contingency there and there wasn't a close second.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Read testimony from any Purdue fan who was there and Purdue by far and away had the largest fan contingency there and there wasn't a close second.

Let me quote from a thread on the other rivals site entitled "Official Prediction Thread: Indiana vs Butler:"

" Physically neutral court but heavy home crowd for the Hoosiers."

Courtsense Dec 14, 2018

" If (sic) predict the place will begin to fill up before the JV game.

See you at Kilroy's if you can get in."

Same poster, Dec 15, 2018

So if Purdue has all these fans there and Indianapolis is regarded as pro-IU more than pro-Purdue, how does your comment make sense? The posters at the other site are in disagreement with your position.

Last edited:
Distance:

West Lafayette In to Charleston SC 792.9 miles

Blacksburg Va to Charleston SC 380.6 miles

Who do you think is likely to have the larger crowd? Duh!

Lately I have become fond of rum based mixed drinks. I used to be a single malt guy, but tastes change over time I guess

Re the Crossroads: IU fans are said to predominate the crowd. Perhaps there are more Purdue fans than ND fans. And what about Butler fans? It is my understanding that each school gets the same initial allotment but if unsold, some tickets are returned. Plus there are general sales. I have seen posts of IU fans advising purchase from Butler because IU sold out - just as OSU fans will purchase season tickets for their road opponents in order to get to see the OSU game. It is evidently easirr and cheaper to do that than make the contribution necessary to get home tickets.

Regardless, the IU fans root for ND against Purdue so even if the "real" ND fans are fewer, and I am not sure that they are, in the aggregate with the IU fans the crowd is more pro-ND. The IU fans onPeegs used to brag about this.

As for Charleston: the J&C reported a strong Purdue crowd. The Blacksburg paper, I actually looked it up, called it a mostly pro-Purdue crowd. Which is more tame than a strong Purdue crowd. The tv announcers were surprised by the number of Purdue people and made a big dwal of some guys in black and gold suits. But they said it was favotring Va Tech. So obviously there is a difference of opinion.

I watched tv. I do not read (anymore) the J&C snd I have never before read the Blacksburg paper so my info source is tv. I went by the announcers. If they were incorrect then so be it. But I really don't know as I was not there.

All of that has nothing to do with your claiming that I lied. If my statement which was published is either factually incorrect or grammatically incorrect please state specifically where the errors are. I insist that the comment written is correct on both counts.

Re the Crossroads: IU fans are said to predominate the crowd. Perhaps there are more Purdue fans than ND fans. And what about Butler fans? It is my understanding that each school gets the same initial allotment but if unsold, some tickets are returned. Plus there are general sales. I have seen posts of IU fans advising purchase from Butler because IU sold out - just as OSU fans will purchase season tickets for their road opponents in order to get to see the OSU game. It is evidently easirr and cheaper to do that than make the contribution necessary to get home tickets.

Regardless, the IU fans root for ND against Purdue so even if the "real" ND fans are fewer, and I am not sure that they are, in the aggregate with the IU fans the crowd is more pro-ND. The IU fans onPeegs used to brag about this.

As for Charleston: the J&C reported a strong Purdue crowd. The Blacksburg paper, I actually looked it up, called it a mostly pro-Purdue crowd. Which is more tame than a strong Purdue crowd. The tv announcers were surprised by the number of Purdue people and made a big dwal of some guys in black and gold suits. But they said it was favotring Va Tech. So obviously there is a difference of opinion.

I watched tv. I do not read (anymore) the J&C snd I have never before read the Blacksburg paper so my info source is tv. I went by the announcers. If they were incorrect then so be it. But I really don't know as I was not there.

All of that has nothing to do with your claiming that I lied. If my statement which was published is either factually incorrect or grammatically incorrect please state specifically where the errors are. I insist that the comment written is correct on both counts.
You are getting too bothered by some anonymous poster calling you a name. Yes, originally you misstated the location of the Va. Tech game, calling it an away game. It was a neural court game technically.

That was just an error and not a lie. I don't think your purpose was to mislead anyone since the information is clearly and easily accessed by all. I'd say the poster that called you a liar needs to back track a bit, and you need to own up to making an error in your original post. Your bottom line argument that Purdue played an more difficult schedule still holds and is not affected by the misstatement.

FYI I was at Charleston. Purdue outnumbered all other fans combined by at least a factor of 2.

You would be more believable if you also tell us you now like broccoli. (tic)

Vile Weed.

JauntyAromaticFirecrest-size_restricted.gif

You are getting too bothered by some anonymous poster calling you a name. Yes, originally you misstated the location of the Va. Tech game, calling it an away game. It was a neural court game technically.

That was just an error and not a lie. I don't think your purpose was to mislead anyone since the information is clearly and easily accessed by all. I'd say the poster that called you a liar needs to back track a bit, and you need to own up to making an error in your original post. Your bottom line argument that Purdue played an more difficult schedule still holds and is not affected by the misstatement.

Mathboy, I respect you as a poster here. However, I believe you to be wrong when you said that I made a mistake. I am more than willing to correct an error. But if you maintain that I made an error, please review the original post. Then tell me if I made an error in grammar. The post did not claim VaTech was on the road under the rules of grammar as I know them. If I am wrong then please show me where.

If I am correct, then there is no mistake. Our dense IU poster knows not how to use the stats tools that he quotes nor the proper use of grammar. FYI, I had two very close relatives who were professors of English Lit. As a youngster they drilled the rules of grammar into me a great deal. I am careful in their use.

Mathboy, I respect you as a poster here. However, I believe you to be wrong when you said that I made a mistake. I am more than willing to correct an error. But if you maintain that I made an error, please review the original post. Then tell me if I made an error in grammar. The post did not claim VaTech was on the road under the rules of grammar as I know them. If I am wrong then please show me where.

If I am correct, then there is no mistake. Our dense IU poster knows not how to use the stats tools that he quotes nor the proper use of grammar. FYI, I had two very close relatives who were professors of English Lit. As a youngster they drilled the rules of grammar into me a great deal. I am careful in their use.
Who the hell cares if you made a grammatical error or not? It's not relevant to the 2020 recruiting class. It appears that "dense IU fan" has stopped posting in the thread, because he probably realized no one cares about the discussion that was going on. You were both being little girls. Own it and move on.

I may have made the same interpretation as our IU friend. Sorry about that. I really don't think it made any difference to your argument as it still stands as accurate.

Last edited:
I had already stated that Purdue has a slightly tougher schedule to this point. IU has better non conference wins. Purdue has better conference wins. Both teams have had very similar seasons this far. Saturday should be a good matchup.
Slightly is in the eye of the beholder. The noncon SOS isn’t even close. The overall isn’t either . Purdue has played a significantly harder schedule. Not slightly. Anyone without an agenda could recognize this.

The point of this entire discussion was that IU and Purdue have very similar teams this year. I fully expect a split and for the two teams to finish close to each other in the Big Ten and also have similar NCAA seeds.

If this IU team played Purdue's current schedule, what would you expect their record to be?

If this Purdue team played IU's schedule, what would you expect their record to be? My guess is that both records would be very similar to what the other team has achieved at this point.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Reactions: BoilerIron
I may have made the same interpretation as our IU friend. Sorry about that. I really do t think it made any difference to your argument as it still stands as accurate.

No problem,, we are good.

As an aside, even though I had these relatives correcting my grammar as a child my wife is a former prof of English as well. Sometimes you can't get away from someone ready to correct your errors. LOL

Vodka, specifically Smirnoff, did some bad, bad things to me in high school. To this day I cannot stand the smell of it. I do like bourbon, but I seem to prefer a sweeter drink now. Maybe I'm getting older and losing some testosterone. Ugh!

:cool:
Save ALL testoserone for top-down times!!!

Save ALL testoserone for top-down times!!!
Winter, ugh! I am currently reduced to watching videos to keep my spirits up. My favorite cab be found by searching for
"Driving the perfect 2003 S2000..."
They tear up Woodward Ave. the sound and feel is a match to mine.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
The point of this entire discussion was that IU and Purdue have very similar teams this year. I fully expect a split and for the two teams to finish close to each other in the Big Ten and also have similar NCAA seeds.

If this IU team played Purdue's current schedule, what would you expect their record to be?

If this Purdue team played IU's schedule, what would you expect their record to be? My guess is that both records would be very similar to what the other team has achieved at this point.

Looking forward to tomorrow.
I would expect IU to have more losses and Purdue to have more wins if they switched schedules. I mean c’mon man the schedules are not comparable. Your point that the teams may be similar may still stand. I would say at this point in time that Purdue seems to be progressing while IU is regressing. It would also be very fair to point out that IU has had a significant issue with injuries but that doesn’t change anything. I watch both teams almost religiously and Purdue has added at least 2 or 3 weapons (Williams, Wheeler, Steponavic) while IU has added to the disabled list. It’s a bitch and a bit disappointing for IU fans. Me? I don’t care and eff IU.

IMO, basketball is moving away from the prototypical 2g/2f/1c lineup. Very rarely do you see teams with 2 "bigs" on the court together. It's more of a 1pg/3wing/1big setup. More athletes, more speed, more up-tempo and you keep 1 big for rebounding and blocks.

not even a opinion; you're spot on.

I would expect IU to have more losses and Purdue to have more wins if they switched schedules. I mean c’mon man the schedules are not comparable. Your point that the teams may be similar may still stand. I would say at this point in time that Purdue seems to be progressing while IU is regressing. It would also be very fair to point out that IU has had a significant issue with injuries but that doesn’t change anything. I watch both teams almost religiously and Purdue has added at least 2 or 3 weapons (Williams, Wheeler, Steponavic) while IU has added to the disabled list. It’s a bitch and a bit disappointing for IU fans. Me? I don’t care and eff IU.
I think you are agreeing with me. With the schedules switched, I would expect IU to be about 11-6 and I would expect Purdue to be about 12-5.

I also have watched every game by both teams as well (2 roommates who are Purdue alums, at well as my fiance). Williams emergence has been great for you guys. Wheeler and Sasha are more streaky. Injuries have hurt us no doubt, but I dont think that's an excuse. We have 1 bad loss imo (Nebraska by 15 at home), and a lot of that had to do with effort given. It didnt look like we played hard at all which is inexcusable. I expect tomorrow to be a hard fought battle with Purdue winning by a small margin in the end. When the venue is flipped I expect a hard fought battle with IU winning by a small margin in the end.

You may be sharing more than you care to share. Fiance is the noun used for a male. Fiancee is the female equivalent.

But, as Seinfeld said, "...not that there's anything wrong with that."

I think you are agreeing with me. With the schedules switched, I would expect IU to be about 11-6 and I would expect Purdue to be about 12-5.

I also have watched every game by both teams as well (2 roommates who are Purdue alums, at well as my fiance). Williams emergence has been great for you guys. Wheeler and Sasha are more streaky. Injuries have hurt us no doubt, but I dont think that's an excuse. We have 1 bad loss imo (Nebraska by 15 at home), and a lot of that had to do with effort given. It didnt look like we played hard at all which is inexcusable. I expect tomorrow to be a hard fought battle with Purdue winning by a small margin in the end. When the venue is flipped I expect a hard fought battle with IU winning by a small margin in the end.
I don’t know man. Regardless of skill level When I watch Purdue I see guys having fun. When I watch IU I see dysfunction. Granted I am biased but I have lived thru seasons where Purdue wasn’t together- not pretty and not fun. e.g. The Ronnie Johnson years.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

This is actually true.

After looking at IU's schedule Purdue most likely loses @ duke, @ Michigan (we already did), and @ Maryland (only beat them by 2 at home). I do think we would win at least one of the other two games IU lost (@ Arkansas and Nebraska), however I also think we would have dropped one of the 3 against Butler, Louisville, or Marquette.

Likewise, I would expect IU to lose to VT, FSU, Texas, Michigan, and MSU. IU might have beaten ND, as I think they were easily the worst team there, but they also can't win at the Kohl Center.

Like you said, that puts Purdue at 12-5 and IU at 11-6. Very similar teams and should be a very close game.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
I don’t know man. Regardless of skill level When I watch Purdue I see guys having fun. When I watch IU I see dysfunction. Granted I am biased but I have lived thru seasons where Purdue wasn’t together- not pretty and not fun. e.g. The Ronnie Johnson years.
That's subjective. IU certainly wasnt having fun against Nebraska, but they were getting embarrassed. Most of the time when a team is losing by double digits it doesn't appear they are having fun. Did Purdue look to be having fun against Michigan or MSU?

This is actually true.

After looking at IU's schedule Purdue most likely loses @ duke, @ Michigan (we already did), and @ Maryland (only beat them by 2 at home). I do think we would win at least one of the other two games IU lost (@ Arkansas and Nebraska), however I also think we would have dropped one of the 3 against Butler, Louisville, or Marquette.

Likewise, I would expect IU to lose to VT, FSU, Texas, Michigan, and MSU. IU might have beaten ND, as I think they were easily the worst team there, but they also can't win at the Kohl Center.

Like you said, that puts Purdue at 12-5 and IU at 11-6. Very similar teams and should be a very close game.
The results may be similar but to you and NC both- I would strongly disagree these teams are similar in any basketball sense. As a matter of fact I would hold them up as teams who are very different. They score at the rim. We shoot threes like crazy. To date they are better defensively while we are more efficient offensively.

That's subjective. IU certainly wasnt having fun against Nebraska, but they were getting embarrassed. Most of the time when a team is losing by double digits it doesn't appear they are having fun. Did Purdue look to be having fun against Michigan or MSU?
They didn’t look like they quit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT