ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Benter and more.

Right, agree that it's all speculation, although we can play out some scenarios. A lot depends upon where Cam and Catchings play next year and whether Waddell comes back. If any of those three are taking minutes at the three (seems likely they will) in addition to Colvin then Benter needs to beat out three of the four between Colvin, Cam, Catchings and Waddell to get minutes. It could happen but just seems very unlikely, IMO.

If Cam and Catchings both play minutes at the four (seems unlikely that both will play there IMO, as at least one of Trey and Caleb are likely to log minutes at the four), then maybe Benter sneaks into some minutes at the three, needing only to edge out Colvin or Waddell.

I think we can pretty safely assume that if everyone comes back who can (excluding COVID year eligibility) then Braden, Fletch, Cam, Myles, Trey and Caleb are likely to log significant minutes. Either Harris or Cox is likely to play at least 15 mpg as a backup ballhandler, which puts the spots that are likely spoken for at 7. That leaves Waddell, Berg and the rest of the freshmen competing for 1 to 3 reserve spots (more likely 1 or 2 spots than 3).
Minutes will be tough, the only thing I'd disagree with is the 15 minutes as the backup ball handler. Painter seems pretty committed to playing Braden 30 to 35 minutes per game. Played almost 35 minutes per game in Maui. I don't see that changing next year in meaningful games. Painter only played guys 19 minutes backing up the 1,2, and 3 against Marquette and 20 against Tennessee. Jones looks pretty good so far but I could see somebody breaking out and grabbing those 25 to 30 minutes at the 3 next year. Among the candidates: Colvin, Heide, Catchings, Harris and Benter. If Colvin and Catchings are NBA type talent they should be able to grab most of those minutes, if they aren't things will open up for the likes of Heide, Harris or Benter.

Minutes will be tough, the only thing I'd disagree with is the 15 minutes as the backup ball handler. Painter seems pretty committed to playing Braden 30 to 35 minutes per game. Played almost 35 minutes per game in Maui. I don't see that changing next year in meaningful games. Painter only played guys 19 minutes backing up the 1,2, and 3 against Marquette and 20 against Tennessee. Jones looks pretty good so far but I could see somebody breaking out and grabbing those 25 to 30 minutes at the 3 next year. Among the candidates: Colvin, Heide, Catchings, Harris and Benter. If Colvin and Catchings are NBA type talent they should be able to grab most of those minutes, if they aren't things will open up for the likes of Heide, Harris or Benter.
I should have more clearly/thoroughly articulated my thoughts on the 15 minutes per game for a back up ball handler. My assumption is that both Smith and Loyer will play 30+ minutes per game and that either Harris or Cox will play the majority of the back up minutes for both so that there are always two ball handlers on the court.

I agree with your assessment of minutes at the three, I don’t see any of those guys as a primary ball handler.

I was going to say, wouldn't he be the starter?
Yes. Overwhelmingly likely that Trey and Caleb start at the four and five next year. Caleb seems more comfortable as a complementary player than as a primary scoring option, so not only is Trey likely to start and play significant minutes, he would be the primary scoring option in the front court.

many people claim that TKR will be Edey's replacement next year. Frankly, I don't see it. as was pointed out by several respected posters, TKR didn't come to purdue to play center. he came to Purdue to play the 4. I'm not really sure TKR wants to play center.

next year we will most likely see Smith and Loyer starting in the backcourt and playing 25-30 minutes. and we will see Myles and all of our freshmen fighting to fill jones' spot and the 4 spot. Will Catching play the 3 or the 4? will myles play the 3? will hyde play the 3 or the 4? what will furst play? center?

Edey does a lot of things at center that TKR could never hope to accomplish. Every year we keep saying TKR is going to elevate his game. we see flashes but no consistency. based on talent alone, he should be getting significant minutes over Gillis. But the reality is he's not.

and next year we will have more players looking to play he 4 and 5. i just don't believe TKR's game lends itself to be our staring center. the question is how good are harris, Hyde, Myles and Catchings? Smith and loyer started as freshmen. Will Myles start next year? Will Catchings start as a freshman? as i see the success of our incoming players, I'm left with the thought that TKR will be forced to play center. I'm just not sure that's really want he or Painter wants to happen.

additionally, as I look to next year, who will become our #1 scoring option? TKR ? catchings? Myles?

I am sure I’m in the minority but I have a strong feeling that TKR transfers out next year. I really like him but I also don’t feel like he believes he fits. Especially if this year doesn’t turn a corner for him to get more meaningful minutes. If Berg leaves maybe he stays but I’m not convinced. He’s gonna have to continue to battle to prove himself against Furst, Berg, Jacobsen, Burgess and likely Heide and Catchings. That’s why I’d really like to see him put it together still this year to feel like he’s got a role/future next year. I think he’s likely frustrated having an unplanned redshirt year, limited playing time last year and working his ass of in the off season to get more time and so far it not paying off for him to play significantly more minutes. 🤷🏼‍♂️
From 11 last year to 16 this year and trending up. Sure starter next year, maybe the featured post player in Zach's wake.
Where do you come up with this stuff? and why?

many people claim that TKR will be Edey's replacement next year. Frankly, I don't see it. as was pointed out by several respected posters, TKR didn't come to purdue to play center. he came to Purdue to play the 4. I'm not really sure TKR wants to play center.

next year we will most likely see Smith and Loyer starting in the backcourt and playing 25-30 minutes. and we will see Myles and all of our freshmen fighting to fill jones' spot and the 4 spot. Will Catching play the 3 or the 4? will myles play the 3? will hyde play the 3 or the 4? what will furst play? center?

Edey does a lot of things at center that TKR could never hope to accomplish. Every year we keep saying TKR is going to elevate his game. we see flashes but no consistency. based on talent alone, he should be getting significant minutes over Gillis. But the reality is he's not.

and next year we will have more players looking to play he 4 and 5. i just don't believe TKR's game lends itself to be our staring center. the question is how good are harris, Hyde, Myles and Catchings? Smith and loyer started as freshmen. Will Myles start next year? Will Catchings start as a freshman? as i see the success of our incoming players, I'm left with the thought that TKR will be forced to play center. I'm just not sure that's really want he or Painter wants to happen.

additionally, as I look to next year, who will become our #1 scoring option? TKR ? catchings? Myles?
Trey starts at the 4, Caleb starts at the 5, case closed and problem solved.

Reactions: Schnelk

I couldn't begin to speculate on who will be the #1 scoring option of if there is a clear #1. We don't know what Matt is thinking, but in his words and what we have witnessed ,Trey is playing the 4 spot. That said we all know that today, Trey is more aligned scoring approach with the previous few 5s after JJ. What I personally would like to see and have for a while is Trey and Caleb as 4s where they can play a bit in space and underneath depending on match-ups. I would prefer with those two to not play a 5 that Purdue fans have seen since JJ (Juan Johnson) and possibly extending out even a few feet farther. I would love if they could emulate Wilson/Wagner at Michigan a few years ago, but have no idea if that will develop or not. However, if the offensive approach doesn't change due to the talent not really changing then yes it would appear that Trey is best in the current 5 situation.

THAT said I don't think for a second that Matt didn't, nor doesn't understand where Trey is offensively and yet Matt has stated and played Trey as a 4. Is that move for this year alone or a transition into next year as well?

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
I'm a Brownstown guy. Jack is great shooter and the type of kid Painter does well with. The question is whether he can guard at a big ten level right out of high school.

He was supposed to play against Lawrence North last night but hyper extended his knee Friday night against Seymour. Would have been nice to see him against the athletes LN has. Most games down here he is so much better than the competition that he looks like he is playing against little kids. He is a smart really well coached kid. His Dad has 450 career wins.

He's a Rockstar here. Brownstown has always been basketball crazy, but is a down to earth kid. We hope he does well at Purdue. Even us IU fans

I'm a Brownstown guy. Jack is great shooter and the type of kid Painter does well with. The question is whether he can guard at a big ten level right out of high school.

He was supposed to play against Lawrence North last night but hyper extended his knee Friday night against Seymour. Would have been nice to see him against the athletes LN has. Most games down here he is so much better than the competition that he looks like he is playing against little kids. He is a smart really well coached kid. His Dad has 450 career wins.

He's a Rockstar here. Brownstown has always been basketball crazy, but is a down to earth kid. We hope he does well at Purdue. Even us IU fans
thanx for the info and opinion

Nick, many years ago I met up with Doug Stromboli and a few old Indy Star posters. Would Doug happen to be your father? My money says yes! ;)

I was at Brownstown last week for the Salem game. Really nice school and gymnasium! That was definitely a game in which you described....seemed like they were matched up against a middle school team.

Nick, many years ago I met up with Doug Stromboli and a few old Indy Star posters. Would Doug happen to be your father? My money says yes! ;)
No but I've been around a long time. I used to post on Peegs in the Sampson/crean days. Don't post there anymore but happy to share insight on Benter

Reactions: tjreese
I was at Brownstown last week for the Salem game. Really nice school and gymnasium! That was definitely a game in which you described....seemed like they were matched up against a middle school team.
Yeah Salem isn't very good. Scottsburg, Jennings County etc will be better. This is probably the best team we've ever had. Long and athletic for a 2A team with 3 starters 6'5" and above. All starters over 6 foot. They give teams trouble in the half court trap.

Win state or bust kind of year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT