ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Recruiting

Well we could bet on both games to make it fair.

caddyshack1.jpg

Keep it fair! Keep it fair!

EB is the logical choice in my opinion to play the 4 along with Wheeler. I don't ever see Painter putting Haarms there, simply because we don't play zone. I expect them to look at the Juco/Transfer list this year for a traditional 4, as an injury to Wheeler would kill the depth chart at that position. Not saying it will happen, but things do happen.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
Back on track folks - Anyone mention Jaden Ivey?

That would be a tough one since he lives in South Bend and Mom played at ND.

IMO, basketball is moving away from the prototypical 2g/2f/1c lineup. Very rarely do you see teams with 2 "bigs" on the court together. It's more of a 1pg/3wing/1big setup. More athletes, more speed, more up-tempo and you keep 1 big for rebounding and blocks.

THANK YOU.

I've grown so tired of seeing people talk and post in the traditional 1-5 system.

This game is becoming so much of an "inside-out" game, rendering useless the old C/PF/SF/SG/PG.

We need an effective ballhandler to bring the ball up court; presence on the inside to keep the D from cheating to the shooters; AND SCORERS.

I might be waaaaaaaaaaaay off base here, but I would take a roster of a couple of PGs, a couple of true Centers, and a BUNCH of shooters/slashers.

Drive the ball, kick it out. Drive the ball, kick it out. In to the post, kick it out (or score).

Oh... and a C who can kick out and hit the 3.

It's highly unlikely this season goes off the rails, but next year we have TJD, Hunter, and most likely Brooks. Probably leads to similar results to this year (upper/mid Big Ten). The season after that his seat will be hot if he isn't competing for a Big 10 championship or going far in the tournament.
Archie better get it goin'.

With that BPOY candidate and the results he's getting, he's not impressing anyone.

I like that attitude!

3 straight losses, including an incredibly humiliating loss AT HOME.

Brothers, that there is some serious basketball acumen. Wish our fans could take a lesson.
I seem to recall quite an embarrassing run of losses for your team earlier this year.

I seem to recall quite an embarrassing run of losses for your team earlier this year.

You can remember what you like.

Right here, right now, we're talking about a HUMILIATING loss in Ass Hall.

Not the propaganda of "(i)t's 1 bad loss to a top 10 (currently) team."

No, it's Archie with his alleged "BPOY candidate," getting SMOKED at home. Three (3) straight losses, with the prospect of one more being VERY real.

Chest puffing has consequences. Don't like it? Maturity makes one wiser. Usually.

You can remember what you like.

Right here, right now, we're talking about a HUMILIATING loss in Ass Hall.

Not the propaganda of "(i)t's 1 bad loss to a top 10 (currently) team."

No, it's Archie with his alleged "BPOY candidate," getting SMOKED at home. Three (3) straight losses, with the prospect of one more being VERY real.

Chest puffing has consequences. Don't like it? Maturity makes one wiser. Usually.
You mean like the Chest puffing you are doing right now? Do you not consider yourself mature?

You mean like the Chest puffing you are doing right now? Do you not consider yourself mature?

you're not helping yourself.

I'm not puffing my chest. I'm on the Purdue forum, reminding you, an IU fan who chooses to puff his chest on the Purdue forum, of what you're current performance is.

Dude. You have zero self-awareness.

I don't go to the IU forum and puff my chest. For a reason.

Just a guess here, but I'm betting you're not "getting" this.

Reactions: Poprudy and mathboy
you're not helping yourself.

I'm not puffing my chest. I'm on the Purdue forum, reminding you, an IU fan who chooses to puff his chest on the Purdue forum, of what you're current performance is.

Dude. You have zero self-awareness.

I don't go to the IU forum and puff my chest. For a reason.

Just a guess here, but I'm betting you're not "getting" this.
You absolutely are puffing your chest. You "reminded" me of IU's performance to date, so I "reminded" you of Purdue's. IU isn't the only under performing team with a BPOY candidate. My excuse is that it's only Archie's 2nd year and he inherited a bunch of bad Crean recruits. What's your excuse?

Here are some facts:

IU is 3-3 in the conference. They have wins against ILL, NW and PSU. The losses are to MICH, NEB and MD. The wins are against teams occupying the bottom 3 positions in the conference with a record of 1-16 - with the one win coming against another of the three.Those three teams haven't beaten anyone else and 2 of the 3 wins were at home.

Purdue is 4-2 in the conference. The wins are MD, Iowa, Rutgers and Wisconsin. Wisconsin was a road win, the rest home wins. The two losses were to the Michigan teams which are 1 and 2 in conference. Iowa and Wisconsin are 3-3 (same as IU) while MD is 6-1. Rutgers is tied with NW at 1 win.

Purdue's non-conference schedule was so far superior to IU's that they are not seriously comparable. Purdue's is rated 1 or 2 in the country. The other day on the IU rivals site someone posted that IU's was 207 (approximately - I do not remember exactly but is was 20x) and Nebraska's was 175 or so. That is out of approximately 345 D1 teams.

Are you going to tell me that you do not see a significant distinction between how the teams have performed in conference? and overall?

Here are some facts:

IU is 3-3 in the conference. They have wins against ILL, NW and PSU. The losses are to MICH, NEB and MD. The wins are against teams occupying the bottom 3 positions in the conference with a record of 1-16 - with the one win coming against another of the three.Those three teams haven't beaten anyone else and 2 of the 3 wins were at home.

Purdue is 4-2 in the conference. The wins are MD, Iowa, Rutgers and Wisconsin. Wisconsin was a road win, the rest home wins. The two losses were to the Michigan teams which are 1 and 2 in conference. Iowa and Wisconsin are 3-3 (same as IU) while MD is 6-1. Rutgers is tied with NW at 1 win.

Purdue's non-conference schedule was so far superior to IU's that they are not seriously comparable. Purdue's is rated 1 or 2 in the country. The other day on the IU rivals site someone posted that IU's was 207 (approximately - I do not remember exactly but is was 20x) and Nebraska's was 175 or so. That is out of approximately 345 D1 teams.

Are you going to tell me that you do not see a significant distinction between how the teams have performed in conference? and overall?
IU has better non conference wins if we are being honest. IU and Purude have played 2 common opponents. @ Michigan resulted in a double digit loss for both teams. The other is Maryland. Purdue won by 2 at home. IU lost by 3 on the road.

Purdue has played the 5th toughest schedule while IU has played the 24th hardest, so Purdue has played a slightly tougher schedule.

Again, I had this discussion with HoosierfanJM: to the best of my knowledge (and he agreed with this) the figure that you are quoting reflects the entire schedule, including games not played but based upon those teams to-date performance. But because IU played a weak non-conference schedule the much rougher B1G schedule inflates the number. It gives an impression that is not really correct.

If I am wrong in my understanding I am happy to be corrected, but that is how I understand the figure that you are quoting.

Again, I had this discussion with HoosierfanJM: to the best of my knowledge (and he agreed with this) the figure that you are quoting reflects the entire schedule, including games not played but based upon those teams to-date performance. But because IU played a weak non-conference schedule the much rougher B1G schedule inflates the number. It gives an impression that is not really correct.

If I am wrong in my understanding I am happy to be corrected, but that is how I understand the figure that you are quoting.
No, I'm providing the Kenpom strength of schedule rankings.

You absolutely are puffing your chest. You "reminded" me of IU's performance to date, so I "reminded" you of Purdue's. IU isn't the only under performing team with a BPOY candidate. My excuse is that it's only Archie's 2nd year and he inherited a bunch of bad Crean recruits. What's your excuse?
Our excuse is that our bench was 50 pounds too heavy. Its all good now.

So back to the topic on lacking a PF option - I did see that Emmanuel Akot from Arizona has decided to transfer.

Not sure if he is a PF exactly at 6’7 200 lbs but worth a look I guess?

The other I saw is we are looking at Grant Sherfield who was released from his LOI at UCLA. Combo guard - 6’2. He would be in the 2019 class.

Reactions: mreeser
No, I'm providing the Kenpom strength of schedule rankings.

You are missing the point. The ratings include games not played at this point. Thus, in a bimodal distribution of games where the early games are easy and the back end are hard the amalgamated data give a perception that is not really correct. In a more even distribution the rating would be more reflective of the true state.

You are missing the point. The ratings include games not played at this point. Thus, in a bimodal distribution of games where the early games are easy and the back end are hard the amalgamated data give a perception that is not really correct. In a more even distribution the rating would be more reflective of the true state.
That is an IU fan you’re talking to. You may want to dial that back a little bit for comprehension sake.

IU is recruiting Love, Fletcher, and Morton as well. If I had to choose, I would take Morton. He is the total package offensively.

You are my least favorite poster on this board. I don't care about iu. I don't care who they're recruiting. You turn every thread into an argument.

You're not "just talking basketball". You're "just talking iu". Take the above post for example. I don't care who iu fans prefer for their team.

You are my least favorite poster on this board. I don't care about iu. I don't care who they're recruiting. You turn every thread into an argument.

You're not "just talking basketball". You're "just talking iu". Take the above post for example. I don't care who iu fans prefer for their team.
Thank you for your valuable input. Some people here who don't know who any of these players are might prefer to know who else is recruiting a player and what those players are capable of.

I checked out your reference. I looked for the method of calculation and could not find it. So does it or does it not reflect only games played to-date or the whole schedule which would include yet to be played games? That is not clear.

You have previously posted that in the course of your studies at IU that you had a course in Statistics. If so, then you should be aware that different kinds of distributions can create calculations that are not really reflective of the data.

That was my point. If it is whole schedule, then the point that I made about bimodal distribution remains valid. That also means that your response to my post continues to ignore the central issue.

You claim that you are here to discuss basketball as an IU fan. But if you ignore points made by others or just argue than you are not here to "discuss." That observation has been made by others but it seems true. Do you really want to be thought of that way?

Last edited:
Reactions: Inspector100
I checked out your reference. I looked for the method of calculation and could not find it. So does it or does it not reflect only games played to-date or the whole schedule which would include yet to be played games? That is not clear.

You have previously posted that in the course of your studies at IU that you had a course in Statistics. If so, then you should be aware that different kinds of distributions can create calculations that are not really reflective of the data.

That was my point. If it is whole schedule, then the point that I made about bimodal distribution remains valid. That also means that your response to my post continues to ignore the central issue.

You claim that you are here to discuss basketball as an IU fan. But if you ignore points made by others or just argue than you are not here to "discuss." That observation has been made by others but it seems true. Do you really want to be thought of that way?
I had already stated that Purdue has a slightly tougher schedule to this point. IU has better non conference wins. Purdue has better conference wins. Both teams have had very similar seasons this far. Saturday should be a good matchup.

But if the SOS calculations reflect the games not played in the number than your comment of "..slightly tougher..." is meaningless. that is the point that I am making. If only to-date games are calculated then the differences become glaring.

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT