ADVERTISEMENT

Zoo Schmoo.

Chuchumutha

True Freshman
Jul 2, 2011
Illinois
Before the game, all I heard from the Pitt people was how difficult an environment the Pete Center was for an opposing team. That is was rated one of the top 5 home court advantages in the country and their record was something like 212-4 OOC over the years. Did any one else notice that they put the students in the lower section around the court creating the illusion of a wild and crazy atmosphere. But if you looked behind the first 15 rows or so, it was more than half empty. Sure enough, I checked and the attendance was 9400 (capacity is over 13000) and I'll bet that was paid tickets. My guess is more like 6 to 7 thousand fans total. Hardly a Mackey-like experience. I guess that's the difference between basketball in Penn. and basketball in Indiana.

I'd say the years spent at 'Embly Hall and Kohl's Department Store Center have given Purdue a tough skin, making the Zoo a little less intimidating.

Went to the game, that atmosphere was terrible. The student section was solid for its size and the location was great, but there were so many empty seats when you're hosting #11 team in nation.

I was there too and I'd say the 10,000 seat arena was maybe short 2000 from full. That said, the Pitt alumni sitting around me were very passionate and knowledgable about their team (if a bit biased towards their Panthers)

It's a crime that not all students have access to tickets and the arena is a ghost town for a big game.

I'd say there were more like 4500 empty seats. It seats 12k.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT