ADVERTISEMENT

Hummel on Purdue's Loss and Fans Getting on Painter

If we had Miami’s 4 guards, we would have shredded the FDU press also.

It’s the Jimmie’s and the Joes, not the Xs and the Os. CMP needs to swallow his pride and just buy some ball handlers out of the portal.
I agree on the guards. I've been pretty vocal about our team make-up and strategies.

I just think that even with the current roster we would have benefitted from being more aggressive in breaking pressure.

If we had Miami’s 4 guards, we would have shredded the FDU press also.

It’s the Jimmie’s and the Joes, not the Xs and the Os. CMP needs to swallow his pride and just buy some ball handlers out of the portal.
I mean Hummel literally just said it's the Xs and Os too.

I agree on the guards. I've been pretty vocal about our team make-up and strategies.

I just think that even with the current roster we would have benefitted from being more aggressive in breaking pressure.
I mean, we have 1 really good ball handler in the entire rotation. Gillis tried to be aggressive and got his pocket picked.

At every position except for maybe the 1, we need to improve our quickness and ball handling.

He said sometimes players have to make a play.
"Bruce Weber and I were sitting there watching, and it was guys were catching (the ball) refusing to turn to actually break the press."
Has been noted on this board for weeks the game plan vs press is bad. And again we're talking about FDU not 1994 Arkansas 40 minutes of hell.
Your whole position this week makes sense if we had lost to Miami or Arkansas int the 2nd or 3rd round. We didn't even get that far. Got spanked by literally the worst team in the tourney. That's on Painter.

"Bruce Weber and I were sitting there watching, and it was guys were catching (the ball) refusing to turn to actually break the press."
Has been noted on this board for weeks the game plan vs press is bad. And again we're talking about FDU not 1994 Arkansas 40 minutes of hell.
Your whole position this week makes sense if we had lost to Miami or Arkansas int the 2nd or 3rd round. We didn't even get that far. Got spanked by literally the worst team in the tourney. That's on Painter.
Not sure how much simpler I can make this: We’re not built to play against tiny, quick teams. We’re built to win 20 rugby games against other big strong rugby teams.

You basically proved my point about the press by the way. “Guys…REFUSING to break the press…”

Need to go buy some more ball handlers.

Reactions: Bippus33
I mean, we have 1 really good ball handler in the entire rotation. Gillis tried to be aggressive and got his pocket picked.

At every position except for maybe the 1, we need to improve our quickness and ball handling.
My point is not that we don't need better guards. I'm the one for months that took some heat for saying the B1G was a terrible preparation for March and that success there didn't translate.

What I'm saying is that we were very passive in breaking the press. On the very few times that we actually were aggressive and attacked we were successful in scoring. We just did that so infrequently that it gets lost. We were so intent on just trying to get across the line that we ended up doing just that, get across with 9 seconds already burnt. We would then start the weave and hope that we could feed Edey for a 2 foot shot. I'm talking about the whole season, not just FDU in particular. I feel that had we been more aggressive to score off the press attack we would have been better served.

My point is not that we don't need better guards. I'm the one for months that took some heat for saying the B1G was a terrible preparation for March and that success there didn't translate.

What I'm saying is that we were very passive in breaking the press. On the very few times that we actually were aggressive and attacked we were successful in scoring. We just did that so infrequently that it gets lost. We were so intent on just trying to get across the line that we ended up doing just that, get across with 9 seconds already burnt. We would then start the weave and hope that we could feed Edey for a 2 foot shot. I'm talking about the whole season, not just FDU in particular. I feel that had we been more aggressive to score off the press attack we would have been better served.
Tread carefully as he may categorize you as something of his choosing for disagreeing with him.

Right, you can only be as aggressive as your talent allows.

It’s like when a FB team stacks the box with 8-9 guys and dares you to throw over the top. If your QB can’t make the throw your screwed….

• Haha
Reactions: clankhan
Not sure how much simpler I can make this: We’re not built to play against tiny, quick teams. We’re built to win 20 rugby games against other big strong rugby teams.

You basically proved my point about the press by the way. “Guys…REFUSING to break the press…”

Need to go buy some more ball handlers.
Less guys in the back court trying to get the inbound pass, better floor spacing, then less dribbling would be needed to attack the rack. Team does need another very good ball handler next year to help a Smith.

There were 4 classes in between them. Only taking one shooter, and that shooter not really panning out, seems to be problem numero uno with this team.
Your question was about who was recruited as a shooter between Sasha and Loyer. My answer was correct. And Newman is a good shooter.

For whatever reason, none of the players besides Edey and Smith consistently "panned out" this year. But that is a different question than the one you asked.

This short piece is a reminder that Painter tried to add guards in the portal last year, but was unable to compete financially:

A little further down the page: "Central Michigan freshman Reggie Bass has entered the transfer portal. A former Illinois commit, Bass was the MAC Freshman of the Year after averaging 12.4 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game. Bass is from Muncie, Indiana.".... Bass played at Arsenal Tech (Indianapolis) his senior year and helped Tech beat Cathedral (Xavier Booker) in the City Tournament. I think he is a point guard. I wonder if Purdue might be interested.

Less guys in the back court trying to get the inbound pass, better floor spacing, then less dribbling would be needed to attack the rack. Team does need another very good ball handler next year to help a Smith.
Your question was about who was recruited as a shooter between Sasha and Loyer. My answer was correct. And Newman is a good shooter.

For whatever reason, none of the players besides Edey and Smith consistently "panned out" this year. But that is a different question than the one you asked.
And whose fault is it that only two players on the roster “panned out”?

I didn't say your answer was wrong. I'm saying there should have been 3-4 shooters in between them based on Painter's own desire to get one every year. But there is only Newman. Who is ok but not enough as your only "shooter".

I didn't say your answer was wrong. I'm saying there should have been 3-4 shooters in between them based on Painter's own desire to get one every year. But there is only Newman. Who is ok but not enough as your only "shooter".
There’s no point arguing with these people. They will claim that a square is an octagon if they have to.

As others have pointed out, Ivey was recruited as a shooting guard, although he would be classified as more of a scorer than a shooter.

• Haha
And whose fault is it that only two players on the roster “panned out”?
He should have had another upperclassman ball handler on the team this year. Smith got worn down in games contributing to his turnover’s. I thought Morton would have been a little better with the ball and maybe Painter thought he would have been to by now.

He should have had another upperclassman ball handler on the team this year. Smith got worn down in games contributing to his turnover’s. I thought Morton would have been a little better with the ball and maybe Painter thought he would have been to by now.
That’s because he didn’t want to wade into the portal bidding wars for the premium guards last spring, so we ended up in the Clearance section.

That’s because he didn’t want to wade into the portal bidding wars for the premium guards last spring, so we ended up in the Clearance section.
He should have recruited one in the 2020 or 2021 class. There would be no need for the portal. We all talk about managing the roster and this hole was a glaring one this year. Again in his defense, maybe he thought Morton would be handle the ball better by now.

Reactions: Gemini95
He should have recruited one in the 2020 or 2021 class. There would be no need for the portal. We all talk about managing the roster and this hole was a glaring one this year. Again in his defense, maybe he thought Morton would be handle the ball better by now.
He did recruit a pretty good one in 2020…

Reactions: indyogb and SKYDOG
I thought this article was relevant, since Robbie played for us, and he is a beloved Boilermaker. I think several of the things that he said has been mentioned on here at nauseum over the last few days.

We all know about our shooting woes, and that was mentioned in the article multiple times. The one question I have though is why we stopped recruiting sharpshooters. We would get a sharpshooter in each recruiting class every year, like we get a QB in each football recruiting class. Painter stopped doing that. Maybe that has something to do with COVID and the roster numbers. I don't know.

The press comment was the most confusing though. Do we have locker room issues, because that problem, which could cause shooting issues too, sounded like players didn't care? At least, that is how I took this reaction wise below from the article statement.

"The press-break stuff, that's a different story," Hummel said. "I don't understand why the press gives them so much trouble. Sometimes, at the Big Ten tournament, Bruce Weber and I were sitting there watching, and it was guys were catching (the ball) refusing to turn to actually break the press."

Here is the article:

If you go on youtube Field of 68 Robbie was with Jeff Goodman discussing the FDU game. Robbie stated Yes he GETS all the abuse Painter receiving. However the Purdue player's were missing WIDE, WIDE Open 3's. HORSE shots they were so open. Obviously it became a mental thing in the game. Especially last 5 minutes. Robbie questioned if Purdue had hit a few 3's early in game FDU might have changed the total sell out to guard Edey. They discussed Purdue needs to get more athletic at the forward and guard spots. NIL is a point mentioned on this board. Missed out on Pack because of NIL Money. Purdue is going have to step up with NIL Money it wants to compete. As for the strategy with Edey being surrounded by Good outside 3 pt shooters. Houston in 1994 won an NBA Championship surrounding Akeem Olajuwan with 3 point shooters. UNLV in 1987 lost to IU in Final 4 with one Big and 3pt shooters around him. It is a good strategy but you have to execute. Instead of being 5-26 from 3 in FDU game. Purdue should have hit at least another 5 3pter's considering how wide open they were. Hit 5 more 3's going 10-26 Purdue wins by around 10-15 pts.

If you go on youtube Field of 68 Robbie was with Jeff Goodman discussing the FDU game. Robbie stated Yes he GETS all the abuse Painter receiving. However the Purdue player's were missing WIDE, WIDE Open 3's. HORSE shots they were so open. Obviously it became a mental thing in the game. Especially last 5 minutes. Robbie questioned if Purdue had hit a few 3's early in game FDU might have changed the total sell out to guard Edey. They discussed Purdue needs to get more athletic at the forward and guard spots. NIL is a point mentioned on this board. Missed out on Pack because of NIL Money. Purdue is going have to step up with NIL Money it wants to compete. As for the strategy with Edey being surrounded by Good outside 3 pt shooters. Houston in 1994 won an NBA Championship surrounding Akeem Olajuwan with 3 point shooters. UNLV in 1987 lost to IU in Final 4 with one Big and 3pt shooters around him. It is a good strategy but you have to execute. Instead of being 5-26 from 3 in FDU game. Purdue should have hit at least another 5 3pter's considering how wide open they were. Hit 5 more 3's going 10-26 Purdue wins by around 10-15 pts.
Hummel is obviously more in-the-know than the guys hanging out at the local barber shop.

Armchair coaches here all have their opinions why Purdue lost, and they have their magic formula to fix it. It's as if some of them did not watch the game or even glance at the box score. We lost because we didn't have guards who could create their shots? No. Wide open shots were there -- they just didn't hit them. We lost because we played through Edey? Please. He kept us in the game, and if everyone else hits their open shots, we win all of our games by double digits. We didn't play zone defense? Defense did not lose that game. FDU scored 63 points on 38% shooting. Instead of looking at what happened, some people are parroting what someone told them. And that someone likely did not watch the game either.

Hummel is obviously more in-the-know than the guys hanging out at the local barber shop.

Armchair coaches here all have their opinions why Purdue lost, and they have their magic formula to fix it. It's as if some of them did not watch the game or even glance at the box score. We lost because we didn't have guards who could create their shots? No. Wide open shots were there -- they just didn't hit them. We lost because we played through Edey? Please. He kept us in the game, and if everyone else hits their open shots, we win all of our games by double digits. We didn't play zone defense? Defense did not lose that game. FDU scored 63 points on 38% shooting. Instead of looking at what happened, some people are parroting what someone told them. And that someone likely did not watch the game either.
How dare you, there’s no room for common sense on this board.

How dare you, there’s no room for common sense on this board.
common sense is an oxymoron! ;) It's people on a lot of subjects. We've all made those mistakes before and we all want Purdue to do well. We all react to the same stimuli in different ways...think the players do that as well? :)

Defense did not lose that game.
Not entirely, but it was a contributing factor. The moment Zach has to step out even a few feet away from the hoop, that’s trouble. They drive by him and now there’s no rim protector and he’s out of rebounding position to give up the offensive rebound. They gambled that Zach’s guy wouldn’t hit outside shots, but then he did. A couple of very timely ones. Why? Because Zach is not a good perimeter defender. Most 7’4 300lb guys aren’t.

Not entirely, but it was a contributing factor. The moment Zach has to step out even a few feet away from the hoop, that’s trouble. They drive by him and now there’s no rim protector and he’s out of rebounding position to give up the offensive rebound. They gambled that Zach’s guy wouldn’t hit outside shots, but then he did. A couple of very timely ones. Why? Because Zach is not a good perimeter defender. Most 7’4 300lb guys aren’t.
I think the point he is making is that even with that, they didn't score much. We hit our wide open three's at even a respectable clip and we blow them out of the water.

and that player scored a career high of 19 pts, his previous high was 6.

“If we hit our wide open outside shots, we win.” Thing is, there was no reason, that the coaching staff or us foolish fans, should have assumed that was going to happen, based on the previous many games. We lost by 5 points. I still say we needed to plan on making that up on the defensive end, or magically score offensively without needing to make outside shots.

“If we hit our wide open outside shots, we win.” Thing is, there was no reason, that the coaching staff or us foolish fans, should have assumed that was going to happen, based on the previous many games. We lost by 5 points. I still say we needed to plan on making that up on the defensive end, or magically score offensively without needing to make outside shots.
Dane Fife was there, and he said earlier this week that he would have liked to see Painter try an offense without Zach, when it became apparent FDU was going to take him away, and our “shooters” weren’t hitting. Open up some driving lanes, more movement, etc.

I have to admit I wondered about Fife as a replacement for either Johnson or Lusk.

Reactions: NC_Boiler

Completely on target. So many things in your post are worth while. Thanks.

If any fan noticed. FDU gave Florida a 9 seed but who has been good this year a game. FDU's quickness gave Florida the same problems Purdue dealt with. Difference Florida hit open 3's and pulled away last 5 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT