ADVERTISEMENT

In-person observations

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
So I actually ended up with a single ticket in the student section. I was in the main stands opposite the Indiana bench 37 rows up. At least at that height, it's all students. Guessing the first 20 rows or so on that side are for alumni. My buddy who is an IU alum, did the same thing and got a single in almost the same row but across from the Purdue bench. He was confused at first because at a certain point Friday night he was under the impression that only students could sit where he was. He had correspondence with SeatGeek who assured him his ticket was fine. Turns out, the 25 rows or so in front of him, along with behind the basket, are all student General Admission, the Crimson Guard I guess. Where he was and where I was were simply student assigned seating. So he got in no problem.

My first real interaction with an IU fan, other than general booing in my direction, was when I walked into my row about 10 minutes to game time. "What the hell are you doing here?" "I'm here to watch a basketball game, just like you." He was speechless and I kept walking.

I saw very few Purdue fans all day, maybe 30 tops, but considering I was on the side with the students, that makes sense.

For the most part, IU fans know 2 words: "**** Purdue."

Someone else commented about the IU females. All I can say is day-am. Whole lot of 19 year old half-naked hotties around me. The warmer weather yesterday probably helped. Apparently it's against the dress code to have a shirt that covers your left shoulder these days. Who knew?

I have to say, the atmosphere was amazing. There were times that the place seemed like it was shaking. Indinia played great and they deserved to win. I really was not disappointed one bit, but actually encouraged that we didn't fold up like the Michigan game last year. We started playing defense and TJD was more or less just a guy in the 2nd half. He couldn't stop Edey, and we contained him. JHS made a couple of key jumpers down the stretch to stem the tide. If we had tied it or gotten the lead on the couple of possessions that we had to do so, I think we win the game.

There are a couple of threads about the court-storming. You knew it was going to happen, but it started getting ready with about a minute to play. It was a 3-point lead at the time. Half of my section was already in the aisle.

Some dudes sitting around me were mostly cordial, actually shook my hand after the game and gave compliments about Edey. The one sitting behind me all game had to be a big shot and step up his hate talk because he had an almost 50-year old Purdue fan in front of him. It was interesting how he started criticizing the refs in the 2nd half as we were coming back. Calling out Edey for a moving screen when he set an absolute clean and normal one right in front of the Purdue bench. Called for Smith to get a flagrant when it was pretty clear he didn't touch JHS. I did have some more good-natured back-and-forth with the kids as I tried to get past everyone stuck trying to get down to the floor. When I was outside waiting for my buddy to come out, I did have a couple tools scream obscenities to me. I responded with "Nice win, good game," and it actually got worse. Guess they didn't expect that.

In the end, it's a tough loss. Heck of a comeback. Glad I made the decision to go and happy my wife was ok with me going without her because pairs of tickets were crazy expensive. We probably would have paid upwards of $750 for a pair, and I paid $180 for my single. She wouldn't have made it past the first TV timeout in that section anyway. We're actually in town to see Mellencamp tonight, that was the initial point of the trip.

So I actually ended up with a single ticket in the student section. I was in the main stands opposite the Indiana bench 37 rows up. At least at that height, it's all students. Guessing the first 20 rows or so on that side are for alumni. My buddy who is an IU alum, did the same thing and got a single in almost the same row but across from the Purdue bench. He was confused at first because at a certain point Friday night he was under the impression that only students could sit where he was. He had correspondence with SeatGeek who assured him his ticket was fine. Turns out, the 25 rows or so in front of him, along with behind the basket, are all student General Admission, the Crimson Guard I guess. Where he was and where I was were simply student assigned seating. So he got in no problem.

My first real interaction with an IU fan, other than general booing in my direction, was when I walked into my row about 10 minutes to game time. "What the hell are you doing here?" "I'm here to watch a basketball game, just like you." He was speechless and I kept walking.

I saw very few Purdue fans all day, maybe 30 tops, but considering I was on the side with the students, that makes sense.

For the most part, IU fans know 2 words: "**** Purdue."

Someone else commented about the IU females. All I can say is day-am. Whole lot of 19 year old half-naked hotties around me. The warmer weather yesterday probably helped. Apparently it's against the dress code to have a shirt that covers your left shoulder these days. Who knew?

I have to say, the atmosphere was amazing. There were times that the place seemed like it was shaking. Indinia played great and they deserved to win. I really was not disappointed one bit, but actually encouraged that we didn't fold up like the Michigan game last year. We started playing defense and TJD was more or less just a guy in the 2nd half. He couldn't stop Edey, and we contained him. JHS made a couple of key jumpers down the stretch to stem the tide. If we had tied it or gotten the lead on the couple of possessions that we had to do so, I think we win the game.

There are a couple of threads about the court-storming. You knew it was going to happen, but it started getting ready with about a minute to play. It was a 3-point lead at the time. Half of my section was already in the aisle.

Some dudes sitting around me were mostly cordial, actually shook my hand after the game and gave compliments about Edey. The one sitting behind me all game had to be a big shot and step up his hate talk because he had an almost 50-year old Purdue fan in front of him. It was interesting how he started criticizing the refs in the 2nd half as we were coming back. Calling out Edey for a moving screen when he set an absolute clean and normal one right in front of the Purdue bench. Called for Smith to get a flagrant when it was pretty clear he didn't touch JHS. I did have some more good-natured back-and-forth with the kids as I tried to get past everyone stuck trying to get down to the floor. When I was outside waiting for my buddy to come out, I did have a couple tools scream obscenities to me. I responded with "Nice win, good game," and it actually got worse. Guess they didn't expect that.

In the end, it's a tough loss. Heck of a comeback. Glad I made the decision to go and happy my wife was ok with me going without her because pairs of tickets were crazy expensive. We probably would have paid upwards of $750 for a pair, and I paid $180 for my single. She wouldn't have made it past the first TV timeout in that section anyway. We're actually in town to see Mellencamp tonight, that was the initial point of the trip.
Cool post. Those seats over row 25 are not the best, but a awesome atmosphere for games like yesterday's battle.

I'm a Btown native and a die hard fan. I've made the trip to Mackey and always had a good time. The press conference move by Edey was awesome. You guys are lucky to have that kid. Enjoy Mellencamp!

Did you see the jerks throwing things in our huddle?

Cool about seeing Mellencamp. I saw him a couple times in 2011 and back in 97 I think after the Mr. Happy Go Lucky album.

I just saw he had an album in 2017 - “Sad Clowns & Hillbillies”. He must have wrote that about the IU fan base.

Did you see the jerks throwing things in our huddle?
I didn't see the first one, but the PA made an announcement warning fans not to throw things on the court.

The second I saw better because the fans in the front row on that side all stood up and looked back at the crowd, more or less in the section where my buddy was sitting. They made another announcement and even the fans around me weren't sure why it wasn't a technical since they had already made the warning.

Just an update: Actually got to hear a "**** Purdue" during the Mellencamp show too. I mean JM kinda prompted it by doing a little speech in between songs about not giving a **** about certain things.

The show was meh. I'm not a big fan anyway. He only played for about 1:45.

You're a bigger man than me. I have such an unhealthy hatred for iu and it's fans that with a few cocktails in me, I wouldn't have been able to hold my tongue.
Yeh, I realize you're supposed to be mature, turn the other cheek, it's just a game....blah blah blah, but it's a flaw of mine that I've had for 40 years, and it aint changing now.

Just an update: Actually got to hear a "**** Purdue" during the Mellencamp show too. I mean JM kinda prompted it by doing a little speech in between songs about not giving a **** about certain things.

The show was meh. I'm not a big fan anyway. He only played for about 1:45.
That's my main complaint about Mellencamp. He never plays for very long.

That's my main complaint about Mellencamp. He never plays for very long.
Old and lazy. Collects his money and moves on. As long as people are willing to shell it out, can't really blame him. Saw him years ago and wasn't impressed with the show. Pretty low energy and looked like he was going through the motions. My wife likes him, me not so much.

Reactions: pboiler18
Old and lazy. Collects his money and moves on. As long as people are willing to shell it out, can't really blame him. Saw him years ago and wasn't impressed with the show. Pretty low energy and looked like he was going through the motions. My wife likes him, me not so much.
And political. I saw him at Cloews at Butler many years ago and never would have guessed I was at a concert.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
He was low energy 12 years ago when I saw him. He is 71 now so he will be using a walker on stage pretty soon.

And political. I saw him at Cloews at Butler many years ago and never would have guessed I was at a concert.
I quit on being a Cougar fan, when I saw pics of him at Colt game in a suite(which I am sure he paid nothing for) sitting and eating while the National Anthem was being played. A kid( maybe his) was beside him also setting.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT