ADVERTISEMENT

Zeke gone. Now what?

Boiler Barracuda

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2018
Lost the big fish. But not all is lost. We seem to always pull some underrated guy out of the hat and develop him into a solid player. Who do we go for now?

Wouldn’t be surprised to see them go after a true PF grad transfer to bridge the gap and help with depth.

Wonder what kind of depth we are looking at for the 4. Seem even without getting another recruit it won’t be too bad. Interested in how Trevion develops. From his current minutes, it seems like a redshirt would have benefited him more than just getting garbage time minutes.

Wonder what kind of depth we are looking at for the 4. Seem even without getting another recruit it won’t be too bad. Interested in how Trevion develops. From his current minutes, it seems like a redshirt would have benefited him more than just getting garbage time minutes.
Seems like we will have very little depth at the 4 position. Haarms and EB are playing the 5 this year. Painter has said Trevion is more of a 6 than a 4 (implying he is a 5). Dow doesnt seem to be a 4.

That pretty much just leaves Wheeler and Gillis, and Gillis will likely need some time before he can play.

Seems like we will have very little depth at the 4 position. Haarms and EB are playing the 5 this year. Painter has said Trevion is more of a 6 than a 4 (implying he is a 5). Dow doesnt seem to be a 4.

That pretty much just leaves Wheeler and Gillis, and Gillis will likely need some time before he can play.

Wonder if Evan will play more 4 next year with Dow finally able to backup the 5. I can see him starting with Grady gone at the 4, assuming he will be able to hang with upper competition and not be a defensive liability.

Reactions: BoilerIron
I think that's the problem with recruiting. Everyone knows they have to earn that starting position. With the awesome job that CMP and crew does developing players, these recruits know it will take a lot of work to bust into the starting lineup. Zeke would have to beat out EB,Tre and AW to get a sniff at the starting line-up. Maybe he wasn't up to the task.

Reactions: Schnelk
I think that's the problem with recruiting. Everyone knows they have to earn that starting position. With the awesome job that CMP and crew does developing players, these recruits know it will take a lot of work to bust into the starting lineup. Zeke would have to beat out EB,Tre and AW to get a sniff at the starting line-up. Maybe he wasn't up to the task.
Zeke would have easily been the starting 4 day 1. The guys you mentioned are currently unable to beat out Grady freaking Eifert to be the starting 4.

Everyone knows there will be a hole when Carsen inevitably leaves. But, from what I can gather, it seems the notion of being THE guy to fill his spot hasn’t been a pro to recent recruits. Malik for example didn’t want to be the guy. He plays much more like a role player anyway. Same with Zeke. They are going to teams where they aren’t the first options. Maybe they don’t want the responsibility of carrying the team.

Reactions: Fansince72
LOL. Not this sh!t again. Haven't we learned saving scholly will only leave us nothing but thin for the coming years.

There should be a thumb down button and I would thumb down this sh!t to high heaven.

Much rather have an open scholly for the summer to sign either a grad transfer or a proven player looking to transfer and sit out a year instead of giving out a scholarship to a 4th tier player simply for the sake of giving one out.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue

Umm... yea right....jeez....

I don't want to see top 8 or 5 or 3 lists anymore. Just tell me your top 1. It's all that matters. Like Ricky Bobby said, "If you ain't first you're last "

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Right now we will be short two scholarships next year. I think its a given Carsen goes so its safe to make that statement. I think it's okay to bank 1 scholarship, but not two.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
EB and Tre are and will always be too slow at the 4. AW is a LONG way away from being starting caliber.

No. You tell 5 star recruits the starting job is theirs (even if in reality, they have to earn it). They’re a 5 star for a reason.

Brother, I’m crying too. I feel the entire recruiting season has been a total whiff.

Seems like its kinda been a poor 4 year stretch Nojel is the only composite top 100 from 2016-2019 compared to 7 2012-2015

Painter has done a good job finding and developing his kind of guys from the less harolded.players '

I wouldn't mind if Painter went after a normal transfer I am not sure if we have ever had one of those during his tenure

Reactions: DannyGranger
Agree to disagree. Was at today’s game, love his game, and think he should get more minutes. BUT - He will NEVER be able to guard guys like Hummel and Vince on the perimeter.
Perhaps you have his role wrong. Instead of being a guy on the perimeter, maybe he should be an inside force, and put in a taller, stronger guy at SF instead of having 3 guards. I always thought Hummel and Vince should have played SF and to have two big guys in the paint.

If Hummel played SF who would have played center and power forward? You had JJ and thats it.

Lost the big fish. But not all is lost. We seem to always pull some underrated guy out of the hat and develop him into a solid player. Who do we go for now?
What u do now is move on work work with what u got which are some really good pieces already. I looked at Arizona roster crowed for next year at his position much like okoro at Oregon and he’s getting absolutely no playing time at all. That kid has some talent but he will be fighting for playing time bcuz Miller will have several players at that position with more experience than him and now he has to fight for playing time. He’s not one and done either I watched Moses brown play several cup cake teams he was killin he played the last to games against guys who got physical with him he can’t handle it. Ward who not taller than him man handled him Moses sat on the bench for most of the game I say this to say that kid is skinny needs to add weight and strength that will be quite evident next season if he don’t get stronger. 6 games this team might surprise many give them a chance watch them grow.

At least we got Tyger Campbell though. Can’t wait to see him in the black and gold next year!

Seems like its kinda been a poor 4 year stretch Nojel is the only composite top 100 from 2016-2019 compared to 7 2012-2015

Painter has done a good job finding and developing his kind of guys from the less harolded.players '

I wouldn't mind if Painter went after a normal transfer I am not sure if we have ever had one of those during his tenure
Ranking wise painter has been recruiting very poorly lately. Hard to understand after being such an established coach he has so much trouble landing even low level 4 stars. I do think he's been recruiting better "fits" for the program. But at the end of the day he needs to do a better job recruiting top level talent if we want to take the next step as a program.

Ranking wise painter has been recruiting very poorly lately. Hard to understand after being such an established coach he has so much trouble landing even low level 4 stars. I do think he's been recruiting better "fits" for the program. But at the end of the day he needs to do a better job recruiting top level talent if we want to take the next step as a program.

Agreed. It's especially frustrating after with the year we just had and everything we just lost. Purdue can't recruit a top 100 player after a 30 win season when we lost 4 starters?? What are the recruits seeing that we as fans aren't?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT