ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Edey discussed on 670 the Score

Bernstein and Holmes both concluded Zach has no future in the NBA. He’s just big.

He certainly can’t be successful playing in the post in the NBA. If he can’t guard the perimeter or develop a perimeter game of his own, I’m afraid they’re right.
I am thankful we have him. Without him we are not the incredible team we are. I do not care if he plays NBA. I would like to win ncaa title. That will be a chore. Let's enjoy the ride.

Why can't anyone just enjoy what he is now? Why must we always get stuck in our "but what about the NBA" type of thinking, and enjoy the greatness of Zach today?

My advice? Stop listening to sports-related talk on the radio by people who don't really know anything about anything!

Bernstein and Holmes both concluded Zach has no future in the NBA. He’s just big.

He certainly can’t be successful playing in the post in the NBA. If he can’t guard the perimeter or develop a perimeter game of his own, I’m afraid they’re right.

I listened, WSCR in Chicago, I mean they’re sort of right, I do think that Edey can make a team and a lot of money though, Cardinal made a ton, Edey can stick around the league. If he can’t he’ll make plenty overseas. Those guys didn’t say anything bad about him, they just questioned his role in today’s NBA, they’re not wrong. As for Edey coming back, think there’s a chance Gilles does, Edey, I highly doubt.

I’m not trolling Edey. I love the guy. The post was just intended to show the difference between college and pro ball. Zach will soon be a two-time national player of the year in college, but likely won’t find a place in the pro game. That’s all. And yes, he’ll still make plenty of money playing somewhere even if it’s not the NBA.

I’m not trolling Edey. I love the guy. The post was just intended to show the difference between college and pro ball. Zach will soon be a two-time national player of the year in college, but likely won’t find a place in the pro game. That’s all. And yes, he’ll still make plenty of money playing somewhere even if it’s not the NBA.
He’ll get a shot though and be drafted. With how bad the draft is, he’s likely a first rounder too on a guaranteed contract.

From there, it’s up to him.

He can shoot and rebound and will be an immediate fan favorite.

He’s not an All Star IMO but I think he finds a niche and plays awhile.

Reactions: DrEss
He’ll get a shot though and be drafted. With how bad the draft is, he’s likely a first rounder too on a guaranteed contract.

From there, it’s up to him.

He can shoot and rebound and will be an immediate fan favorite.

He’s not an All Star IMO but I think he finds a niche and plays awhile.
This. He’s solidly in the middle of the first round right now. NBA teams carry 3-4 centers, so there’s over 100 spots available for him to grab.

He’s improved athletically and skill-wise every year. Why would he stop improving when basketball becomes his full time job?

I was in South Bend to watch Purdue play in the first 2 rounds with the 3 amigos. Does that make me old ? What a great time we had. St Patties day in South Bend was unbelievable

• Haha
Reactions: Inspector100
Personally, I’d like to see him come back for his Covid year. Hone his skills, get stronger, work on his outside shot. The nba career for most players is short, so another year delay won’t make a difference. That said, I do think he has a place in the NBA. I think offensively he could do very well against the all the smaller centers. They won’t want to double him because everybody can shoot the 3 ball and teams are worried about defending it. He can bury the smaller centers or power forwards under the basket for easy buckets and dunks. In the NBA now, it’s not like when Jordan played. You almost can’t touch anybody without fouling. Jordan would have a field day in today’s game. So, with no double team and a very tight whistle, Edey will do well offensively. If they do double him, he will just kick the ball out for a wide open 3 and an assist. It’s his defense they are worried about and guarding the smaller, quicker players who can shoot the 3. But, I say this. Have you watched a game lately? They don’t play defense. It’s a joke, and it’s hard to with the tight whistle. There are teams scoring 150 points some nights, So, maybe teams should worry about their other players playing defense instead of just Edey. At least, he will block some shots and keep possessions to one shot with his rebounding.

Why can't anyone just enjoy what he is now? Why must we always get stuck in our "but what about the NBA" type of thinking, and enjoy the greatness of Zach today?

My advice? Stop listening to sports-related talk on the radio by people who don't really know anything about anything!
Bernstein is a pompous Dookie, so he knows everything, just ask him. I’ve listened to the Score since it started, but as soon as Bernstein’s shows came on, off it went.

I was in South Bend to watch Purdue play in the first 2 rounds with the 3 amigos. Does that make me old ? What a great time we had. St Patties day in South Bend was unbelievable
I miss the days when St.Patrick’s Day was during the first week of the NCAA tournament. We had a group that came from all over just to sit in Jake’s from the tip of the first game on Thursday until the last game of the day was over, for the first two days. Fun, fun times. Could not do that now. Haha

Personally, I’d like to see him come back for his Covid year. Hone his skills, get stronger, work on his outside shot. The nba career for most players is short, so another year delay won’t make a difference. That said, I do think he has a place in the NBA. I think offensively he could do very well against the all the smaller centers. They won’t want to double him because everybody can shoot the 3 ball and teams are worried about defending it. He can bury the smaller centers or power forwards under the basket for easy buckets and dunks. In the NBA now, it’s not like when Jordan played. You almost can’t touch anybody without fouling. Jordan would have a field day in today’s game. So, with no double team and a very tight whistle, Edey will do well offensively. If they do double him, he will just kick the ball out for a wide open 3 and an assist. It’s his defense they are worried about and guarding the smaller, quicker players who can shoot the 3. But, I say this. Have you watched a game lately? They don’t play defense. It’s a joke, and it’s hard to with the tight whistle. There are teams scoring 150 points some nights, So, maybe teams should worry about their other players playing defense instead of just Edey. At least, he will block some shots and keep possessions to one shot with his rebounding.
You list many good points. I hope he can find the right team that runs the type of offense that best matches Zach’s skills, and gives him a realistic and honest chance. After that, I unfortunately believe the speed of the game will be a big challenge that he will need to meet, but I believe he can. Lastly, if he/we think he gets beat up now, it will be worse in the NBA, even with no doubles. Those guys are all much stronger than most college kids. And Ken is no Troll. He’s an 83 Purdue Grad. He’s old too.

Last edited:

They are wrong and so are you.
"Certainly can't be successful?"
You'd have to be blind to not see the things Zach is doing this year that he didn't in the past.
Tish tosh.

Reactions: oldboiler52
If most NBA careers are short then another year makes a very big difference. Professional athletes’ earning windows are very short so a year has a much larger significance then in other industries.

I’m not worried about him getting beat up in the NBA. He grew up playing hockey. Basketball physicality is nothing to him. He’s tough as nails. Anyway, they can’t touch him without fouling the way the NBA game is officiated today. It’s completed geared to help the offensive player. Also, unless Edey turns out to be phenomenally awesome immediately in the NBA, he will play less than 20 min a game so the wear and tear won’t get to him. He’ll be fine.

Reactions: pboiler18 and DrEss
Bernstein is a pompous Dookie, so he knows everything, just ask him. I’ve listened to the Score since it started, but as soon as Bernstein’s shows came on, off it went.
Terry Boers carried that show. I think Dan's best moment was confronting Steve Alford, on air, about Pierre Pierce. His takes on Coach K being a fraud were pretty spot on, Paterno too. I haven't listened since Terry left, but Dan was usually pretty prepared when he was spoiling for a fight. Who ya Crappin' was appointment radio.

I always enjoyed reading Terry’s articles for many years but once he retired and joined the Score, he seemed to turn into a comedian.

I previously thought he wouldn't get drafted this year, but the quality of the draft is just so atrocious that he may very well pull it off. I worry he'll have a hard time if he does, but the $$ is too good to turn down.

If most NBA careers are short then another year makes a very big difference. Professional athletes’ earning windows are very short so a year has a much larger significance then in other industries.

From what I could find on The Lougle, the average nba career is about 4.5 years. I think most players aren’t being dumped because of their age, but because they are getting replaced by the next up and coming first round draft pick. It’s a guaranteed contract and the roster size is fixed, so someone else has got to go every year. Maybe 2, if they keep the second round pick. Yes, they will be some retirements by age like Lebron eventually, but that doesn’t happen often.

I was at Purdue when we played in the final four with JBC and Arnette Hallman. You are old, but I am an artifact. So this could be my last chance for final four peace.

I agree with the first part of your post, it is an interesting dichotomy that the two time NPOY and most dominant college player in 30 years will have a much different role in the NBA.

Your statement that he 'likely won’t find a place in the pro game' is either trolling or hyperbole. As is the statement that he can't guard on the perimeter and can't shoot from the outside. Zach is by no means a sure thing for the NBA but he's a borderline first round prospect so folks who know this stuff don't find it 'unlikely' that he'll find a role.

I was at Purdue when we played in the final four with JBC and Arnette Hallman. You are old, but I am an artifact. So this could be my last chance for final four peace.
Yes, an Arnette Hallman mention. A true glass eater. Super tough and could jump out of the gym.
I think he was gone before Keady could coach him, but regarding glass eaters, I remember Keady saying once, “it’s always good to have a couple of glass eaters on your team”

I agree with the first part of your post, it is an interesting dichotomy that the two time NPOY and most dominant college player in 30 years will have a much different role in the NBA.

Your statement that he 'likely won’t find a place in the pro game' is either trolling or hyperbole. As is the statement that he can't guard on the perimeter and can't shoot from the outside. Zach is by no means a sure thing for the NBA but he's a borderline first round prospect so folks who know this stuff don't find it 'unlikely' that he'll find a role.
Dichotomy. I just wrote it down on my daily word calendar. It was a forgotten word until a couple years ago when politics grabbed it and brought it back to life. Your Zach connection with it fits appropriately.

Zach's earning window blew open last year. He'll make more at Purdue than many of his predecessors will make playing overseas. I know what you mean, but his earning window be just fine I think.

What I liked most about the Final 4 was just how good JBC was and finally appreciated. Thought we should have beat UCLA but at least beat Iowa in the 3rd - 4th game ( I live in Iowa and that started a long running rivalry with Hawk fans ) and I enjoyed the upper hand

Reactions: GemstateBoiler
Yes, an Arnette Hallman mention. A true glass eater. Super tough and could jump out of the gym.
I think he was gone before Keady could coach him, but regarding glass eaters, I remember Keady saying once, “it’s always good to have a couple of glass eaters on your team”

I remember that outside shot Arnette hit at the buzzer to beat Michigan State and Magic to tie for the B1G championship. (He had no outside shot but there was no time and he had to take it.) And then we don't even get in the tournament because they only took two teams from the B1G and there was a three-way tie for the championship.

It’s a weak draft year, guarantee Edey gets drafted if he doesn’t announce he stays at Purdue one more year. Late second is where the guys w proven talent that may not translate go, someone will definitely take a chance if he is available just as a bench big for some scoring mismatches now that he has shown good passing to open shooters.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT