ADVERTISEMENT

Zach as possible lottery pick?

boilerzz

All-American
Jul 5, 2002
West Chester, OH
www.marchfirstbrewing.com
I'm not really seeing it but ESPN seems to think so. They have him at #14 in Givoney's latest mock draft.

img_0721-jpeg.494519

I’ll just be happy if he gets drafted. Hopefully he can get the green light on two 3PA per game and hit at around like 33%. He seems to be taking, and making, in warmups

Reactions: titaniumbolt
I think he’d be a great fit for the Milwaukee Bucks. He’d allow Giannis to do his thing while he filled up the lane. Unfortunately the Bucks like all of their players including their center to be 3 point shooters.

I still liken Edey to Yao Ming. Yao made it work. You have 5 players on the court. They all don’t have to shoot threes.

I'm not really seeing it but ESPN seems to think so. They have him at #14 in Givoney's latest mock draft.

img_0721-jpeg.494519
Very interesting. I think he’s a very hard player to project because he is one of a kind. I think that people assume that at 7’4” he couldn’t be an NBA athlete, but he’s a high level athlete.

Reactions: oldboiler52
I think he’d be a great fit for the Milwaukee Bucks. He’d allow Giannis to do his thing while he filled up the lane. Unfortunately the Bucks like all of their players including their center to be 3 point shooters.

I still liken Edey to Yao Ming. Yao made it work. You have 5 players on the court. They all don’t have to shoot threes.
A lane clogger seems like the opposite of what you would want with Giannis.
I do see the Yao comparison. Different game now though.

Very interesting. I think he’s a very hard player to project because he is one of a kind. I think that people assume that at 7’4” he couldn’t be an NBA athlete, but he’s a high level athlete.
It’s gone from “he’s just tall” to “he’s too slow” and “he can’t shoot”. He has gotten better exponentially every year…and only has been playing since he was 14. Not sure why a team in the late first/early second wouldn’t give him a 3 yr contract to see how they could develop him…especially in what I’m reading as a “weak” draft class.

The NBA is not very good at developing players. If the player can’t perform that first year, they are usually gone after 2 years. Look at Swanigan. He was in a bad situation to start with. Look at Carsen. Rather than developing their game, their teams gave up on them. Look at the Bucks. They have Gianni’s two brothers on their team rather than players with actual talent. Admittedly one of his brothers is on their g league team.

I don't watch any Euro or international league ball, but I was wondering what the higher paid players in those leagues earn?

It would be nice to see him go as a high 1st round pick. I don't see it though.

Nothing against him, but the NBA is currently in a trend where they want younger players, athletic and unlimited potential, and can shoot from anywhere. Now, the majority of these athletic and unlimited potential most often don't pan out, but the NBA has a type over the last few years for their big men.

Reactions: oldboiler52
He is NBA ready the other team has to stop him as well, No one has done so yet. How many players on NBA rosters have had their opportunity? I watched a pod cast from the guys at NBA Draft something. One picked him at 12th and rising. The other guy at 18th and rising. Both of them cited Purdue's record against other top teams. As eye openers for NBA teams.

I’ll just be happy if he gets drafted. Hopefully he can get the green light on two 3PA per game and hit at around like 33%. He seems to be taking, and making, in warmups
Three pointers are nice. But any outside shot would give him an edge. When he comes out to screen and Smith is too tightly guarded and Zach keeps it, turning and shooting that 12 to 15 foot shot would be a plus NBA-wise. It's any added option besides looking for someone else to pass to. Maybe he can shoot the three as well, but he has never made ANY true outside shot.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
Zach is an intriguing case. He may not have what the NBA wants right now from big men, but he has shown he can get better every year in college which adds to his future potential.
This-

When you realize where Zach was when he began playing basketball, and where he is now in such a short time, you see that this kid’s capacity for improvement is immense.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see him flourish in the NBA — given the right environment.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
This-

When you realize where Zach was when he began playing basketball, and where he is now in such a short time, you see that this kid’s capacity for improvement is immense.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see him flourish in the NBA — given the right environment.
That’s what a lot of ppl don’t get that aren’t Purdue fans who have watched him his whole career at Purdue. They say he’s slow, he’s just tall, he’s not skilled or athletic. They don’t see how great his conditioning is, how he gets up and down the court, his footwork, his soft touch from the FT line, how he alters shots by just being nearby, how he has soft hands and how he has gotten exponentially better. Every. damn. Year. And he’s 21 turning 22 right before the next draft, so I don’t doubt he will get better, as he hasn’t reached max potential since he’s only been playing since he was 14…most ppl who play ball after their 7th year is anywhere from 12-16.

comparing this season to his NPOTY, He is avg a bit less rebounds, but up in all other categories, all while playing 2 less mins a game. If we remove the huge wins where he sat out with 8-12 mins left in the game, he is averaging even better numbers vs some of the best teams in the country.

He’s an anomaly and we haven’t seen someone like him. A lot of the other fan bases hate on him, and that’s ok. They’d love him as much as we do if he was on their team.

And to top it all off, he’s a great kid. Maybe he won’t be good at the next level, but I Hope he’s able to get drafted and prove ppl wrong.

Maybe he sneaks into late first round, I’ll be amazed if he’s top
15, sure hoping he is though.

Three pointers are nice. But any outside shot would give him an edge. When he comes out to screen and Smith is too tightly guarded and Zach keeps it, turning and shooting that 12 to 15 foot shot would be a plus NBA-wise. It's any added option besides looking for someone else to pass to. Maybe he can shoot the three as well, but he has never made ANY true outside shot.
NBA is much less concerned about his shot than they are his PNR defense.

Pacers need size... Also he's only been playing basketball for like what 8 years? I really think a team would take a chance... Someone tell me why Deandre Ayton has a solid NBA career and contract but Edey shouldn't?

Pacers need size... Also he's only been playing basketball for like what 8 years? I really think a team would take a chance... Someone tell me why Deandre Ayton has a solid NBA career and contract but Edey shouldn't?
without looking at measurables, I’d assume ayton is quicker off his feet and can guard smaller players. He also has the capability of shooting the 3. That’s probably why…but I agree, I’d assume some team will give Zach a chance since he hasn’t even hit his full potential yet since this is his 7th year playing and he’ll be turning 22 in a few months.

without looking at measurables, I’d assume ayton is quicker off his feet and can guard smaller players. He also has the capability of shooting the 3. That’s probably why…but I agree, I’d assume some team will give Zach a chance since he hasn’t even hit his full potential yet since this is his 7th year playing and he’ll be turning 22 in a few months.
He definitely is not a 3 point shooter... Hasn't even attempted one this year. IMO Zack's FT touch proves he has the ability to develop a jumper maybe even a 3 point shot... Just in College he really has no use for it. As for defense I've never seen Ayton as quick laterally... I've alway's seen him as a traditional Center... Someone who's more familiar with advance metrics and stats could probably break down if he actually is a quick defender for his size. Which don't believe he is... He's is a good FT shooter like Edey though...

He definitely is not a 3 point shooter... Hasn't even attempted one this year. IMO Zack's FT touch proves he has the ability to develop a jumper maybe even a 3 point shot... Just in College he really has no use for it. As for defense I've never seen Ayton as quick laterally... I've alway's seen him as a traditional Center... Someone who's more familiar with advance metrics and stats could probably break down if he actually is a quick defender for his size. Which don't believe he is... He's is a good FT shooter like Edey though...
You asked why did ayton have a contract in the nba. So Did you ever watch ayton in college or no? He was 10x faster and more athletic than Zach (and I love zach).

I said he is quicker on his feet, was younger than what Zach is now and shot 12 of 35 from 3 his freshman year, while having similar stats to Zach’s NPOTY season. I did not say he IS a 3 pt shooter, I said he HAS/HAD the capability to shoot the 3, and he did in HS too. A knock on him was that at times, he played out there too much. He was labeled as a franchise player and hasn’t lived up to that but has been able to be somewhat serviceable (not great) and stick around on being a 16 and 10 guy. He is also only 5 years older than Zach and was ready to play in the nba after his Frosh year of college.

You asked why did ayton have a contract in the nba. So Did you ever watch ayton in college or no? He was 10x faster and more athletic than Zach (and I love zach).

I said he is quicker on his feet, was younger than what Zach is now and shot 12 of 35 from 3 his freshman year, while having similar stats to Zach’s NPOTY season. I did not say he IS a 3 pt shooter, I said he HAS/HAD the capability to shoot the 3, and he did in HS too. A knock on him was that at times, he played out there too much. He was labeled as a franchise player and hasn’t lived up to that but has been able to be somewhat serviceable (not great) and stick around on being a 16 and 10 guy. He is also only 5 years older than Zach and was ready to play in the nba after his Frosh year of college.
I wasn't asking about why he was drafted so high because I knew he was thought of a potential "franchise player". I'm talking about why he currently is still in the league with such a big contract as he's been in the league 6 years now. Regardless, it's a bad comparison on my part thinking about it more and you're right he was NBA ready a lot sooner and is a lot quicker.

I wasn't asking about why he was drafted so high because I knew he was thought of a potential "franchise player". I'm talking about why he currently is still in the league with such a big contract as he's been in the league 6 years now. Regardless, it's a bad comparison on my part thinking about it more and you're right he was NBA ready a lot sooner and is a lot quicker.
So I didn’t explain well either. With all the potential and also somewhat producing , having 5 years of experience, and being only 27, maybe teams think he has “earned” the right to at least stick around for a bit.

One can rim run and switch on PNR, the other can’t.

Do you watch the pacers ? They shoot it before Zach would be crossing the ten second line…

I believe he could succeed in the right situation. Unfortunately I’ve seen many successful college players fail in the NBA. I’m thinking of the Tank from UW. He did everything as a college player at UW. Unfortunately his style of play did not translate well to the team he played for in the NBA. The same is true for the star player from Gonzaga. The same was true for Swanigan. On the other hand, JJJ has done quite well. I’m not sure about Holgrem’s future.

Today’s NBA seems a lot like the ncaa tournament. It’s all about matchups and opportunities. A lot of college npoy have been total busts. I recall the guard from Kansas. Is he still playing? He never came close to achieving the same level of success in the nba.

To be successful, Edey is going to have to develop some type of outside shot. Look at Giannis. When he first joined the league, all he did was drive to the basket and make layups. He didn’t have much experience but he had talent and was a quick learner. Now Giannis shoots outside shots and a few three pointers. When he first started, he was known for his defense, passing and layup dunks. Those are things Edey can do and use as a foundation to build on.

I didn’t really follow the careers of Bradley and Manute Bol. Bradley must have been thought of as being half way decent to be one of the players in space jam.

I’m also thinking of Haarms, , Hass, Miller and Cardinal. Haarms had an outside shot, but still failed. Haas was good in college but didn’t translate well. Nobody thought much of miller but he succeeded. Shuffles sheffler did a lot better than anybody thought he would. I didn’t think Cardinal would succeed. But he used his scrappiness To create a nice nba career.

On the other hand, Joe Barry Carroll had an ok NBA career, But people expected more from him.

I believe he could succeed in the right situation. Unfortunately I’ve seen many successful college players fail in the NBA. I’m thinking of the Tank from UW. He did everything as a college player at UW. Unfortunately his style of play did not translate well to the team he played for in the NBA. The same is true for the star player from Gonzaga. The same was true for Swanigan. On the other hand, JJJ has done quite well. I’m not sure about Holgrem’s future.

Today’s NBA seems a lot like the ncaa tournament. It’s all about matchups and opportunities. A lot of college npoy have been total busts. I recall the guard from Kansas. Is he still playing? He never came close to achieving the same level of success in the nba.

To be successful, Edey is going to have to develop some type of outside shot. Look at Giannis. When he first joined the league, all he did was drive to the basket and make layups. He didn’t have much experience but he had talent and was a quick learner. Now Giannis shoots outside shots and a few three pointers. When he first started, he was known for his defense, passing and layup dunks. Those are things Edey can do and use as a foundation to build on.

I didn’t really follow the careers of Bradley and Manute Bol. Bradley must have been thought of as being half way decent to be one of the players in space jam.
Frank Kaminsky had an 8 year NBA career and earned $22M. He wasn’t as quick as some others so he moved on to overseas. Morrison was puzzling to me, thought he’d pan out. Holmgren is going to be just fine as long as he stays healthy..he may win ROTY.

You’re right on Mason from KU wasn’t able to to play in the league. Often times NPOTY does not translate to good in NBA.

Bucks were willing to let Giannis develop on the side since he was so young when drafted and was thought of as a project. Not sure if a team will view edey that way, especially not having the athletic ability that Gianni’s has. Edey for sure will have to show he an outside shot, which I don’t doubt he can develop. Just takes a team taking a chance on him.

Bradley and Bol were drafted and played due to the league being a different style. Bol also shot 3s and was what, 3-4 inches taller than Edey?

Frank Kaminsky had an 8 year NBA career and earned $22M. He wasn’t as quick as some others so he moved on to overseas. Morrison was puzzling to me, thought he’d pan out. Holmgren is going to be just fine as long as he stays healthy..he may win ROTY.

You’re right on Mason from KU wasn’t able to to play in the league. Often times NPOTY does not translate to good in NBA.

Bucks were willing to let Giannis develop on the side since he was so young when drafted and was thought of as a project. Not sure if a team will view edey that way, especially not having the athletic ability that Gianni’s has. Edey for sure will have to show he an outside shot, which I don’t doubt he can develop. Just takes a team taking a chance on him.

Bradley and Bol were drafted and played due to the league being a different style. Bol also shot 3s and was what, 3-4 inches taller than Edey?
Like you said, it takes a right team and the right coach and situation. To me. cardinal’s NBA career is one of the more amazing ones. He really never had much talent or athleticism. But he was a scrappy floor burner and worked his butt off. He was the definition of giving 167%. Where some players gave 110%, he gave more! When drafted, he was thought to be some role player off the bench. But again, he proved people wrong. He became the guy that every team wanted coming off their bench. And he translated that scrappyness into a nice nba career. Cardinal earned his points and he earned his pay!

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Lots of nba centers only average about 1 3pt make per game on less than 3 attempts. Doesn’t need to be great just needs to hit at around 33%

Like you said, it takes a right team and the right coach and situation. To me. cardinal’s NBA career is one of the more amazing ones. He really never had much talent or athleticism.
He had tons of talent, especially as a rebounder, and great floor intelligence with a knack for being at the right place at the right time.

I suggest you limit your comments to track & field - but on some other board.

He had tons of talent, especially as a rebounder, and great floor intelligence with a knack for being at the right place at the right time.

I suggest you limit your comments to track & field - but on some other board.
Some people don’t understand the difference between talent and athleticism.

Agreed, people don’t appreciate how good of a shooter he was for a PF. He had 5 seasons where he shot over 40% from 3 including two at 44% and one at 48%! Granted some of that was in limited minutes but the whole “he was just hustle and grit” is just ignorant.

Reactions: BoilerAndy

Lopez would like a word.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT